Recommend me ambient...?

sunwolf

I see SO MANY ambient releases that I don't know what to get. Can you recommend some of your favorites?

Here are a few I have to to give you an idea...

Chronos - Steps To The Great Knowledge ... great.. 4.5/5?

Astral Waves - Mystique ... OK.. 3.5/5?

Aural Planet - Lightflow ... Meh.. did not like.

Blue Lunar Monkey - 2012 ... Meh.. did not like.

I have to agree with Ott and Enetheogenic. Although, they're more like a goa-ambient kinda mix than actual ambient. Right?

Other than that, I don't have too much to suggest since I'm still exploring a lot myself.

Perhaps you could take a look into Shulman? Same kind of genre Entheogenic and Ott are, I guess.

If u like a sort of acid-ambient sound u should try Carbon Based Lifeforms!!! u can listen to a lot of samples on their website! There were a free album of theirs as well on their site before, but can't find it now, maybe I overlooked it?!

bloody nice music anyways! :rolleyes:

ED: I found it... just look under .disco (its called The Path)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not really a fan of CBL, decent music but a little boring for my liking.

I have pure planet but didn't know that was considered ambient at all. :unsure:

It sounds a bit to me like u don't like ambient (if u feel that's boring)..?! Maybe u r more into downbeat, am I right?! How do u feel about Steve Roach and the likes?!

I think you should try Capsula - Synthesis Of Reality :)

I don't really have a clue what ambient electronic music is... it seems like everything on discogs is tagged as ambient. Maybe some should tagged as downtempo and trance instead. :unsure:

Anyways I will give these a go thx. :)

I think there is a major misconception of ambient by people uploading data on psy-downbeat releases on discogs, because yes almost all of them says ambient, even though only a small proportion of them contain ambient!

The father of the first definition of ambient Brian Eno said it like this: "Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."

So in general it is "beatless" smooth textured soundscapes.... and people could probably argue for hours what ambient actually is but, I think that would be my short definition!

and Capsula is not ambient :P (had to change the discogs entry :lol: )

I think there is a major misconception of ambient by people uploading data on psy-downbeat releases on discogs, because yes almost all of them says ambient, even though only a small proportion of them contain ambient!

The father of the first definition of ambient Brian Eno said it like this: "Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."

So in general it is "beatless" smooth textured soundscapes.... and people could probably argue for hours what ambient actually is but, I think that would be my short definition!

and Capsula is not ambient :P (had to change the discogs entry :lol: )

+1 Definitely a huge misconception of what "ambient" music is, which to me is atmosphere only, with rare rhythms as subtle texture.

Try Bluetech, Mr. Serious.

+2. I've always though "ambient" should mean without a beat as the other genres already take care of that.

In this case I don't like any ambient music I've heard (of a couple CDs only :P ).

Out of curiosity how would someone define "Chronos - Steps To The Great Knowledge"? I want more of whatever type this is, though I suspect it should be defined as downtempo goa trance or something. :lol:

Fucking subgenres eh. <_<

Track from Chronos... downtempo goa trance?

Downtempo psybreaks?

To me "downtempo" should be an adjective not it's own subgenre. :blink:

I was recommended alot of ambient in here, and my favorites are

D-Clock-D-clock(B-side)

Solar fields-leaving home

Younger brother-Last days of gravity

I Awake-the core

Kuba-through a lense

ISHQ-orchid

Carbon based lifeforms-world of sleepers

Ott-skylon

Androcell-Efflorescence

THeres ONE track from Sync24-source that i really love:white pixels

And another one from Ten Madison: Get a smile

Im not enough into the genres to tell what is ambient, psydub or whatever, but these are my favorite chill albums :)

buy the opus iridium cd from suntrip records: 2 cd's; 1 uptempo goatrance, 2nd is downtempo & ambient and imo very nice!

Aphex Twin - SAW

Aphex Twin - SAWII

Polygon Window - Surfing On Sinewaves

Autechre - Incunabula

Dreamfish - Dreamfish

Kettel - My Dogan

Secede - Tryshasla

Actually everything in Sending Orb's catalog is beautiful

Stuff from Ott, Future Sound Of London, Boards Of Canada, Squarepusher, Younger Brother..

It's all excellent

I see SO MANY ambient releases that I don't know what to get. Can you recommend some of your favorites?

Here are a few I have to to give you an idea...

Chronos - Steps To The Great Knowledge ... great.. 4.5/5?

Astral Waves - Mystique ... OK.. 3.5/5?

Aural Planet - Lightflow ... Meh.. did not like.

Blue Lunar Monkey - 2012 ... Meh.. did not like.

Sounds like you like psychill :)

Try

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? as well as their other albums.

Entheogenic - Entheogenic as well as their other albums.

Also try Ajana Records for similar sounds to what you like.