Headphones or speakers

Ormion

Then you need to buy a better Hifi-set ;)

+1

I put on headphones if it's past 10 pm(to spare my nabours from my psychotic taste in music :D Otherwise it's the hi-fi that is my choice... You can hear all the sounds on the headphones, but it's like the space between the basstones and the rest gets too big compared to my lovely soundsystem.. Nothing beats when the whole room gets light up in sounds instead of the direct in-ear experience you get from headphones.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no neighbors so I'm a noisemaker :posford: ,

it more depends on the music I'm playing,

progressive mostly on speakers,

euphoric or melodic trance on speakers or headphones, (so fullon, morning trance, goatrance)

ambient always on speakers

the rest like rock, reggea on speakers unless it's a super album I know by head...

listening music using headphones is like 100% brain activity to the music,

it's more crystal clear and easier to get the concept...

each evening I have a headphone session, listening to some track that I know

and guarantee satisfaction :)

I have some really good Bose noise reduction over-ear headphones and I've been listening to music almost exclusively with them since I got them.

However, I have recently unpacked my Sony 5.2 system and I will be blasting out the music as soon as I get the house to myself.

I do like to be fully immersed in the music so it either has to be in my ear (preferably with noise reduction) or up loud. :D

i would prefer speakers any day... you cant ever get enough sub out of headphones, but i do LOVE my wireless(of course wireless=even less bass oh well) headphones for after hours.

sucks living in a thin walled building but my neighbors are pretty cool so at least i can bump it Up during regular hours.

main reason i prefer speakers over headphones is the four speaker effect of being surrounded (not using surround sound) even if i cant always crank it all the way up

You could buy one of these nemo:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/...description.php

They're custom made to fit your ears, and with the price of only $1150.00 they will make sure your wallet goes on a very long diet. :D

The company got bought by logitech a while ago tho..

Save yourself 500$ and get the triple.fi's instead, it's the same thing sans the custom fit.

meh psytrance isn't psytrance if you don't listen to it on speakers IMO... part of the listening experience is the bone-rattling bassline (especially with new stuff... anyone say dark psy? lol). If you don't turn that volume up and feel the bass then you are definetly missing something IMO.

I only use headphones when speaker-listening is out of the question (too late at night, girlfriend is taking a nap, guests at home etc...)

meh psytrance isn't psytrance if you don't listen to it on speakers IMO... part of the listening experience is the bone-rattling bassline (especially with new stuff... anyone say dark psy? lol). If you don't turn that volume up and feel the bass then you are definetly missing something IMO.

I only use headphones when speaker-listening is out of the question (too late at night, girlfriend is taking a nap, guests at home etc...)

I actually can enjoy Darkpsy without the bass vibrations. After all I was never a bass addict, and especially in Drakpsy if the bass is too loud you miss a lot of the details that you can enjoy with headphones. :)

tell me when you found a pair of earphones that you can lay on the side on without being bugged, cause I prefer the same, but I can not lay on my back all the time...

Same here, that's the problem since it's very hard to fall asleep on you're back...grrr

I totally agree that certainly psytrance or many ambient releases for that matter is really ment for a speaker setup. The bass has a function, and you can never get the same feeling even with very expensive headphones. And speakers can be just as revealing as headphones, you only nee to spend ALOT more money for it but the experience is many times greater aswell.

home listening.. ?

well..

i have only my headphone i use for mixing

it has tiny fitting ear-cups, so doesn't have good accoustics on the low freq's

my speakers are still in reparation (troubles with the wiring or servo's it seems)

for home listening:

i'd prefer a headphone with large ear-cups, a massive sennheiser for example, with a very long wire :)

but some music just doesn't work on headphones... a good stereo setup widens up the sound, giving it more space to move in

so it depends

if u choose a headphone for home listening

id go for things like these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

if u want speakers for home listening, be sure NOT to put them on the floor

best is to place them at a height where the tweeters are about the same level as your ears, or just a bit lower

best is to place them at a height where the tweeters are about the same level as your ears, or just a bit lower

What should one do with floorstanders? :unsure:

What should one do with floorstanders? :unsure:

if u have them floorlevel, try to put them in an angle so they're aimed a bit upwards

if u have an open space between you and the speakers, then you only have a minor difference

problem is that high frequency's are too directional

every object that stands in between the speakers and the listener will act as obstacle for high frequencies

high freq = short wavelength -> so they reflect on objects

low freq = long wavelength -> they can wave around objects

low frequencies (50 till 200 Hz) are undirectional, so they fill the room

high frequencies are directional, the source of these can be clearly distinguished

having high frequencies placed at a height between ears and chest (imo) give the cleares and most direct sound

plus you have a better resonance of the lower frequencies (as i experienced)

it seems that woofers on groundfloor speakers lose a bit of fullness or something

just out of curiosity how about having them up in the wall/ceiling corner facing downwards? i'm going to set up my speakers (4 in 4 corners, subwoofer under my desk)

looks like a safe setup (regarding high frequencies for the 4 speakers)

but don't have any knowledge or experience when it comes to that

(mid to high) speakers have an angle of 45° where they give most power,

so i guess placing them in the top with an angle downwards would maximize the effect, and lower the amount of first reflections via the ceiling and side walls

if u have them floorlevel, try to put them in an angle so they're aimed a bit upwards

if u have an open space between you and the speakers, then you only have a minor difference

problem is that high frequency's are too directional

every object that stands in between the speakers and the listener will act as obstacle for high frequencies

high freq = short wavelength -> so they reflect on objects

low freq = long wavelength -> they can wave around objects

low frequencies (50 till 200 Hz) are undirectional, so they fill the room

high frequencies are directional, the source of these can be clearly distinguished

having high frequencies placed at a height between ears and chest (imo) give the cleares and most direct sound

plus you have a better resonance of the lower frequencies (as i experienced)

it seems that woofers on groundfloor speakers lose a bit of fullness or something

Thx for the head up :clapping:

headphones all the way. i prefer music to be fully 'in my head' than coming somewhere out of 'reality'.

meh, u got it all wrong, stereo image/depth is totally worthless on any headphones. U might think it isn't, but trust me, it is. Posted Image

the only reason you think it's fully in your head is because the source is close to the ear but the technology/mechanics of headphones are far more flawed than any larger speaker. headphones is 2D (freq and pan) and speakers is 3D (freq-pan-acoustic response)

of course these differences only really play out when were talking music production-wise since finished tracks already have all the traits to sound good.

exactly, I made myself some floor standers, easy job, not wanting to pay some fancy once @ IKEA :rolleyes: ,

if it's that easy to make,

followed the instruction along with my B&W speakers...

and still satisfied :)

meh, u got it all wrong, stereo image/depth is totally worthless on any headphones. U might think it isn't, but trust me, it is. Posted Image

the only reason you think it's fully in your head is because the source is close to the ear but the technology/mechanics of headphones are far more flawed than any larger speaker. headphones is 2D (freq and pan) and speakers is 3D (freq-pan-acoustic response)

of course these differences only really play out when were talking music production-wise since finished tracks already have all the traits to sound good.

That's true, but the only way to fully enjoy the pan in speakers is to sit exactly in front of them, unlike headphones.