Headphones or speakers

Ormion

Since I live with my parents in a very small house headphones are necessary for me. I can't listen to music using speakers in 3:00 pm or after midnight cause my parents are sleeping, and also there's always too much noise in my house that headphones is the only way to enjoy music without be distracted.

I can say that my headphones-speakers ratio is 80%-20%.

Too be honest I kind of prefer it that way. Even this period that my parents have gone for summer and I'm completelly alone I prefer headphones. I really 'feel' the music that way, it's inside my head. Also having a small room without any bass traps also played a part for my choice.

What about you?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I live with my parents in a very small house headphones are necessary for me. I can't listen to music using speakers in 3:00 pm or after midnight cause my parents are sleeping, and also there's always too much noise in my house that headphones is the only way to enjoy music without be distracted.

Too be honest I kind of prefer it that way. Even this period that my parents have gone for summer and I'm completelly alone I prefer headphones. I really 'feel' the music that way, it's inside my head. Also having a small room without any bass traps also played a part for my choice.

What about you?

Oh man, The Greek Family Philosiophy XD

whole family living together :D

yes i play on both, headphones when im on the go, and speakers at home.

Oh man, The Greek Family Philosiophy XD

whole family living together :D

Actually the philosophy behind the decision to live with them is that Greece has the highest rental prices and the lowest salaries. :(<_<:D

What about you?

Depends really, on a lot of things. The music, the situation, my mood, how late it is, if I am alone at home. Mostly since the sound of my monitors is so good, I tend to listen to music very loud on those :)

I try to juggle both studying and listening to music at the same time , which is why i use speakers but not at very high volumes. Headphones interfere with my thought process so i try to use them less.

I always look for a time when nobody is home so I could use the speakers, but then again, I don't like to disturb the neighbors. I just wish I could sometimes use the speakers to their fullest extent.

With that said, I use my headphones, Koss Sportapro headphones, quality is pretty good but they're quite noisy.

I've got phones right now, the akg k701's, really top-notch stuff. Unfortunately monitors (speakers) are out of the question, since there is so much soundleakage in this flat. One day when I build my house I'll have my own studio room, completely sealed off from the rest of the house. One day... :)

I prefer speakers since very little music is made for headphones. When you hear sounds coming from the very far right or left, you don't hear it only with one ear. You'll hear a slightly muddy and late version of the sound with the other ear. When listening with headphones, sounds intended to play right on speakers come out very dull. This is because with, your only way of determining direction of sounds (in a speaker-optimised mix) is by volume in the respective earcups.

That's how it is but my way of explaining it probably sucks.

headphones all the way. i prefer music to be fully 'in my head' than coming somewhere out of 'reality'.

I like that.

likewise i use headphones for most of the reasons that have been stated before. In my case is just much more affordable to get good headphones

than and really good speakers. In the last few years I've developed a slight fetishism with them and will purchase a pair per year.

This year it was the Ultimate Ears Super Hi Fi Pro 5. I'm liking the in-ear design after getting used to them, but that's another story.

headphones all the way. i prefer music to be fully 'in my head' than coming somewhere out of 'reality'.

I like that.

likewise i use headphones for most of the reasons that have been stated before. In my case is just much more affordable to get good headphones

than and really good speakers. In the last few years I've developed a slight fetishism with them and will purchase a pair per year.

This year it was the Ultimate Ears Super Hi Fi Pro 5. I'm liking the in-ear design after getting used to them, but that's another story.

You guys have never experienced the perfect speakers setup I guess :lol:

speakers ofcourse, but when i watch a movie in bed i prefer to have the headphones so i can still put it loud and not be annoyed by the noise, if i'd put up my speakers the loudness bugs me, but not for music. headphones is a whole different world than speakers

speakers ofcourse, but when i watch a movie in bed i prefer to have the headphones so i can still put it loud and not be annoyed by the noise, if i'd put up my speakers the loudness bugs me, but not for music. headphones is a whole different world than speakers

tell me when you found a pair of earphones that you can lay on the side on without being bugged, cause I prefer the same, but I can not lay on my back all the time...

headphones almost all the time...it's much easier to feel the music, specially with ambient music where you need to hear all the details

i'd switch to speakers without hesitation if could spend 2000$+ on them, for anything cheaper i rather having pair of headphones and an amp

@Nemo:

well although what Malev suggested can't be topped, but for a less price you can get Sennheiser CX300 !!!!

You guys have never experienced the perfect speakers setup I guess :lol:

Many times, my old man and his posse are classical music buffs, i grew up around hi fi set ups.

i'm also considerably deaf-er after spendings hours hidden in the sub-woofeer part of giant speakers inside clubs.

There's just something really personal about being able to fall asleep with headphones. It's a different experience.

I also listen to music at work a lot, so in-ears are perfect cause they isolate the noise and i can pump them when i need too.

At home:

speakers!

I like headphones its not that, but it simply is too hard for my ears in the long run, and I truly believe that its not healthy! I have used headphones a lot in the past, and I have a bad feeling it has been involved in developing my slight tinnitus I have now (together w clubs of course). :(

My apartment is really small at the moment, but I have set the sound up nicely so its all right, just a matter of having speakers that fit your room size, hence I got small speakers, they play all ranges good, but I can't really crank it and keep a steady bass, but I don't need that anyway :P (otherwise my neighbors would really start to complain).

When I use headphones (when Im out and about) nowadays I try use treble-reduction, because the treble is usually to high in earphone, and its that sound range that does most damage in your ears (or mine at least!).