Music and Reading

buzzman

Wazup Psynews, i resently picked up reading again.. And i found one big problem... The silence makes me crazy.. It's allmost painfull to me, kind of distracting... And if not total silence, i get distracted from the children playing outside my window or from my dog playing around or whatever. I therefor tried to find some music i wouldn't get distracted by.. So i had a problem here, tried some downtempo or amient that isn't banging away or has a voice that distracts me... Even solar fields didn't work... BUT then i tried to put on som ISHQ(magik square of the sun) and it was like i could focus on the book much more.. Normally i tend to get disfocused and i sometimes read without actually "reading" the words, just in through my eyes, and out of both ears again. But with ISHQ i could really focus, I read twice as fast and understood everything i read. It made me focus with that beautiful silent ambience in the background, total beatless flowing music, like it is made for the book or something...

So i was wandering if anyone ells feels the same way? And if anyone have some good recommendations for this job :)

Help a brotha out G's! One LuV

Posted Image

I always listen to music, watch a movie or series or whatever while reading, I can not stand the silence either. Music is on 90% of the day at work as well when I am working, I have my headphones on, and do mah sheeeeit (clay davis style!) :)

NO music EVER while reading, it could work if it's without lyrics and if it's really minimalistic, as ambient. The funny thing while studying maths, I can listen to psytrance and actually improve my speed in solving tasks! :posford:

And btw, plz dont' post offending pictures on the forum :drama:

no music while reading, maybe the radio but certainly not music I chose to play

cause the longer I read, the longer I focus on the music instead of reading,

a man can only do 1 thing at the time they say ;)

no serious,

like on the train it's not a problem, it depends more considering the content what I'm reading,

if it's good, I'm not aware what happens around me, if it's boring I get easily distracted...

I tend not to listen to music while reading, but sometimes I do enjoy it, and definitely know how it can accentuate a book. It has to be almost entirely beatless and totally instrumental. Lately I've been listening to piano music while reading on the train to and from work.

My favorite experience with music and reading so far was many years ago when I read Samual R. Delany's book Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand accompanied by Tomita's album Kosmos. Sci-fi with sci-fi. It was awesome. I was also taking cough medicine, which probably didn't harm the effect.

no music while reading, maybe the radio but certainly not music I chose to play

cause the longer I read, the longer I focus on the music instead of reading,

a man can only do 1 thing at the time they say ;)

no serious,

like on the train it's not a problem, it depends more considering the content what I'm reading,

if it's good, I'm not aware what happens around me, if it's boring I get easily distracted...

Seriously I Have the same problem. Can't listen to music while i read.

When i read, i get transported to this "another" universe where any abstraction pulls me away.

The words are magic

I read rarely but when i do theres something playing on the background.. tho it doesnt matter since i cant "hear" the music when concentrated on the reading.. Its quite same when browsing the internets, album starts and then ends and i cant remember hearing it

yeahp, thats what happens to me as well. but I guess you, buzzman and myself tend to have this skill which is called "multitasking" :lol:

Seriously I Have the same problem. Can't listen to music while i read.

When i read, i get transported to this "another" universe where any abstraction pulls me away.

The words are magic

Not really a problem IMO.

I can either listen to music or read. There's no point to doing both because what will happen is either I'll read something and not actually hear any of the music that just played, or I'll be focused on the music and forget about reading.

So I try to avoid it.

I only use music while reading if there's some distractions that music can drown out. And only non-lyrical music as lyrics are a big distraction.

I tend not to listen to music while reading, but sometimes I do enjoy it, and definitely know how it can accentuate a book. It has to be almost entirely beatless and totally instrumental. Lately I've been listening to piano music while reading on the train to and from work.

My favorite experience with music and reading so far was many years ago when I read Samual R. Delany's book Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand accompanied by Tomita's album Kosmos. Sci-fi with sci-fi. It was awesome. I was also taking cough medicine, which probably didn't harm the effect.

Hehe, yeah bet the medicin helped a little :)

I read rarely but when i do theres something playing on the background.. tho it doesnt matter since i cant "hear" the music when concentrated on the reading.. Its quite same when browsing the internets, album starts and then ends and i cant remember hearing it

:lol: It's a little different for me, reading needs MUCH more consentration than being on the internet, making music or making some kind of tasts....

For example, i was distracted by my dog chewing hes food, by the children playing in the yard outside, eventhough my windows are closed and i live at the 3rd floor. I get distracted by the silence!

WHen im doing a task, being on WWW or making music or something, i can't even hear when my girlfriend speaks to me :lol: She can suddenly scream and then i notice how read her face is.. Apparently because i have been "ignoring" (NOT on purpose) for the last 10 minutes.. Or my dog can tear my pack of cigarettes all over the floor in little tiny peaces without im seeing it.

I only use music while reading if there's some distractions that music can drown out. And only non-lyrical music as lyrics are a big distraction.

Exactly my problem.. But it's not enough for me that it's non-lyrical, it HAS to be (almost) total beatless, Like ISHQ. Even the small kickdrum from Solarfields-Leaving home distracted me.

music definitely distracts me while reading but i can't help it. silence makes me crazy and i have my headphones on all the time. i usually listen to beatless ambient which works fine...when studying and solving problems i have no problem with music though :unsure::ph34r:

Any recommendations? :)

Exactly my problem.. But it's not enough for me that it's non-lyrical, it HAS to be (almost) total beatless, Like ISHQ. Even the small kickdrum from Solarfields-Leaving home distracted me.

Try Steve Roach!!! He is one of my favorite reading friends! Or u can try Evan Bartholomew, Cymphonic, The Circular Ruins (both from DataBloem), Blamstrain (Sending Orbs), Biosphere, Vir Unis or Adham Shaikh - Journey To The Sun (an ambient album he made, not like his other releases).

maybe u should also try the other "ISHQ project" called Elve...