My new way of making musik..

...or well, I dont know how to say it, maybe I mean "Arranging way". I am tired of it, and I also have no inspiration doing musik that way anymore. When I make music, I found that loopbased (Well, not like in stealing other peoples loops, i think you know what I mean.) suits my way of thinking more. I have been using Ableton for a while, and I have found a way to sync it with Traktor (you might or might not remember that I got myself the Vinyl system from Native Instruments hehe).

When I make music, I nowadays just "jam" around so to say. I throw in a bassline there, add some melody here, and some beats here and another hihat there. All live manipulated. I have beginnings (and almost 10 finished tracks for my album) but I find them much phatter when I record them live and not when they are arranged in Cubase.

From a live performance/dj performance perspective this gives me 100% creativity. The problem is to control everything at once, but that will be helped with some automation on some things I guess.

So I have taken all midi loops and started to import them in one big massive Ableton Live Set.

The result? Well, you will hear in a couple of months, when its all recorded and mastered :) Problems of course are levels and such when making a 1 hour 15 minute long "track" which are all different tracks... Or well, thats a challenge hehe :)

Why do I write this? Cause I wanted to know if someone has similar thoughts about making music this way.

The Possibilities are limitless! :D

I work in a simular way, music has to be a jam, not a programmed sequence.

I use ableton live & protools.

The good thing about ableton is indeed the creative freedom, and it is a stable program for every stage of production, from production to live sets.

Most other software are superior on many fields, but they all fail when you want to go live.

I respect people who bring their music live, just flowing on a good inspiration & improvising new stuff on the moment. It can all go wrong too, it might sound like shit, but that's the beauty of live-shows. The raw sound & occasional errors make it much more charming to me.

It can be any music style, since this summer i really don't care about genres anymore.

But if i would have to choose between a "liveset" with 2 CD with good goatunes, or a minimal house set completely live, i would go for the minimal house.

The perfect situation is a band of 2-4 people, all experts in their instrument, bringing it all togheter live on stage. That's rock & roll.

If they have vocals this adds again to the technical level, cause mics can create feedback, it just adds to the fun.

You don't have all this stuff in an individual project.

Yeah, once I shifted from Cubase to Ableton I discovered how easy and creative producing can be.. I find ableton more acustomed for electronic music and cubase for classical and such..

Anyways looking forward to your live set Nemo..

No new music from you? :)

...or well, I dont know how to say it, maybe I mean "Arranging way". I am tired of it, and I also have no inspiration doing musik that way anymore. When I make music, I found that loopbased (Well, not like in stealing other peoples loops, i think you know what I mean.) suits my way of thinking more. I have been using Ableton for a while, and I have found a way to sync it with Traktor (you might or might not remember that I got myself the Vinyl system from Native Instruments hehe).

When I make music, I nowadays just "jam" around so to say. I throw in a bassline there, add some melody here, and some beats here and another hihat there. All live manipulated. I have beginnings (and almost 10 finished tracks for my album) but I find them much phatter when I record them live and not when they are arranged in Cubase.

From a live performance/dj performance perspective this gives me 100% creativity. The problem is to control everything at once, but that will be helped with some automation on some things I guess.

So I have taken all midi loops and started to import them in one big massive Ableton Live Set.

The result? Well, you will hear in a couple of months, when its all recorded and mastered :) Problems of course are levels and such when making a 1 hour 15 minute long "track" which are all different tracks... Or well, thats a challenge hehe :)

Why do I write this? Cause I wanted to know if someone has similar thoughts about making music this way.

The Possibilities are limitless! :D

I have thought about doing this for live sets.

Change The Future was made this way with nothing but short loops mixed on the fly.

I go back and forth on creation styles though - I get bored easily.

My monomachine does exactly this. And that is why I heart it so much. It has so many fancy ways of linking your loops together on the fly for live performance, it's beautiful! UNF!

I should stop with my plugging of the monomachine =]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

d

My monomachine does exactly this. And that is why I heart it so much. It has so many fancy ways of linking your loops together on the fly for live performance, it's beautiful! UNF!

I should stop with my plugging of the monomachine =]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

d

In a way it is like to create music the old way of making music. I remember for instance acts like Drop & Dash, The Sourse (Robert Leiner) or/and Cari Lekebusch when they played live, it was made with a 16 track midi sequencer and oh hh hhh hhh boiiiii was it better than any of their released musik! :) Random makes the world go around! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have thought about doing this for live sets.

Change The Future was made this way with nothing but short loops mixed on the fly.

I go back and forth on creation styles though - I get bored easily.

no offence but it REALLY sounds like you're making the track as you go along (which is probably what you did). I'm not trying to diss you or anything, but personally I still prefer preprogrammed music...

• 2 weeks later...

One thing i didn't ever understand, when you [just an assumption] are making music that you are not going to sell [if your selling it, then ignore this post] why do you release albums every 6 months or so, when you could release a track every month or so and be more in the spotlight? I was talking to Lars [cybernetika] about that, his view is that its better to release an album than a bunch of individual tracks, I on the other hand, only release music on a track by track basis. So why make an album anyways? It makes sense that you would get more publicity when you are constantly releasing tracks.

Yeah, once I shifted from Cubase to Ableton I discovered how easy and creative producing can be.. I find ableton more acustomed for electronic music and cubase for classical and such..

Anyways looking forward to your live set Nemo..

Who is the guy in your avatar?

One thing i didn't ever understand, when you [just an assumption] are making music that you are not going to sell [if your selling it, then ignore this post] why do you release albums every 6 months or so, when you could release a track every month or so and be more in the spotlight? I was talking to Lars [cybernetika] about that, his view is that its better to release an album than a bunch of individual tracks, I on the other hand, only release music on a track by track basis. So why make an album anyways? It makes sense that you would get more publicity when you are constantly releasing tracks.

Well I guess it has to do with if you're trying to make an album which contains tracks that fit into one category, for example only tribal dark psy tracks and you want them to be grouped as a whole album, or tracks of a certain theme, maybe an album where the tracks progress into one another so they're connected and are better this way then releasing individually. It's all up to personal taste.

Edit: Plus, releasing an album (free of charge) is a good way to promote your music. Altho yeah, you could release individual tracks on comps for netlabels aswell.

• 4 months later...

Ableton is amazing...

I don't think the Session View has to be used in a total improv manner... I think it can be used to help get an idea for the flow of a song, gradually planning it out in your mind and building things up, you can make longer clips and add automation to them (it is possible in Session View to do this), use follow actions and really get something that sounds thought out.

• 2 weeks later...

No new music from you? :)

Hey guys, its been a while, aint it?

I changed my identity.. Got sick of that old nick, it was kinda limiting my production on only acid.. Its X-Rayz now..

Check out http:/www.myspace.com/xrayzproductions

I taken some time off psy-news, its been quite dry last time I was here..

Lots of new great gear here, but for now little time to produce..

If u guys still hang around, Ill make new avatar and join in since I have lots of internet spending time on work..

Who is the guy in your avatar?

He is character from last version of video game Prince of Persia (my favourite) and if it werent for this guy prince wouldnt make it to the end and escape demons.. He has japa in his hand, so he is chanting rounds on it, guy has a tilak on his forehead which would imply he is a servant of Lord Visnu.. So actually, he isnt the one who saved prince, it is Lord Visnu, the guy was just chanting his names and begging for his mercy..

I also made some tracks based on previous versions of Prince of Persia, tracks contain some very valuable dialogs..

U can check it out on my new myspace, I uploaded all those tracks which will never be released..

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on the person and where they are at at that particular moment. Interestingly I basically went the complete opposite direction, with my first several years in electronic music being on the fly live "jamming" as it were with various synths and boxes and then eventually finding the more traditional "tracking" sort of method works better for me. That said probably 70% of my writing process is still "live" with me performing most of the parts in some way or another (this goes for leads, pads, percussion and even knob tweaking) so the end result has been kind of a mix of both worlds. Lots of "live/improv" writing which is then placed in a more standard production environment. That said, regardless of what you do, it is useful for step outside of your comfort zone every once in awhile and try something new (which for me lately if going over to Live to write a track instead of in Cubase).

This question wasn't aimed at me, but for my part as an artist that mostly gives his stuff away these days, is that I simply think and write in "albums" the only "singles" I ever come up with tend to be one off things with other artists, something written to try out a new piece of gear, or the first track or two after finishing an album when I haven't found a proper directiong that I want to go in yet. Again, this is probably my more "traditional" musical roots coming though, but for me writing the journey of album is everything.