whats your personal favorite format of music?

Anoebis

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite format of music ?

physically probably:

Brains+Memory Slots+

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

etc.. etc...

etc...

Vinyl Pressings are the closest resemblance to this sound, so Vinyl = first in line for a preferred intermedium

digitally ?

i dont care as long as i don't lose any vital details from the tracks...

if i want quality or in case of cd's something physically and visually as extra, in addition to the lossless encoded audio, i'd

choose to buy a (imho) worthless CD-copy sold for overpriced amounts (as it percieved it's value in cash from the ol'LongPlayer, but then the 80 minutes-long type

the whole production-process for one cd within a larger grouped amount of thousands - i was told - costed about 60 to 80 eurocents per copy (artwork-printouts and evryth.included)

and it kinda shows in its appearance for me :)

in physical value (imho), only Vinyl in the first place, cd's just carry a financial value, and a musical(-data-)value.. everything here is engineered to make an infinity of copies with the cheapest materials still conforming with the CD-standards)

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

yeah, ofcourse

but what's the difference in format between a audio-CD-R and a audio -CD ?

i mean, purely falking bout the format here

i never use mp3's for mixing, not even legal ones ;)

audiocd's are pressed in factories from a glass master.

cd-r's are just home-made cd's burned with consumer cd burners.

Other then that I wouldn't know and wouldn't care really..

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

Only original CD.

The only digintal releases I have is of free (legal) music, which I burn on CDr too.

I still have a few original cassette tapes :D

I play all my music on portable players (mostly) so i really can't be very picky... and since the format has to support my audio player i usually pick mp3...

normally just the 256kbit/rate tracks... I can't really be choicy and go for 320.. On my phone.. 320 and 256 sounds alike. Plus i got pretty shitty ear plugs. (default Sonyerricsson)

So i rip my cds at 256 kbit just so that when i put it on my phone/ipod it will have more room for more music.

For example:

I got like 5 cd's stored on my phone

Celldweller - Celldweller

Faithless - Outrospective

Shpongle - are you shpongled

Tricky - Blowback

IM - BP Empire

I usually put new music on my phone each week.

But ripping at a semilow bitrate mp3.

I play all my music on portable players (mostly) so i really can't be very picky... and since the format has to support my audio player i usually pick mp3...

normally just the 256kbit/rate tracks... I can't really be choicy and go for 320.. On my phone.. 320 and 256 sounds alike. Plus i got pretty shitty ear plugs. (default Sonyerricsson)

So i rip my cds at 256 kbit just so that when i put it on my phone/ipod it will have more room for more music.

For example:

I got like 5 cd's stored on my phone

Celldweller - Celldweller

Faithless - Outrospective

Shpongle - are you shpongled

Tricky - Blowback

IM - BP Empire

I usually put new music on my phone each week.

But ripping at a semilow bitrate mp3.

Poor choice on tricky cd, his worst one IMO :P

For me it would have to be CD for physical, although i do prefer the feel of having vinyl but cds are just more convenient, usually cheaper and more widely available.

And mp3 for digital as i have an ipod and take it everywhere with me :)

For me the best format ever was the Minidisc, because they were small in size and didnt get scratched very easy. The Vinyl still has its charm i like the analogue sound of it.

For me the best format ever was the Minidisc, because they were small in size and didnt get scratched very easy. The Vinyl still has its charm i like the analogue sound of it.

oh yes minidisk was great - probably destroyed by philips & sony to pave way for the CD [crap disk]

Vinyl is superior to everything - best full sound... eg: no frequency cuts !!!

oh yes minidisk was great - probably destroyed by philips & sony to pave way for the CD [crap disk]

Vinyl is superior to everything - best full sound... eg: no frequency cuts !!!

Not really, the CD format is older then the Minidisc format.. its more likely that the mp3 players made the Minidisc format Disappear. Probably in combination with the broader availability of mp3 via p2p networks.

And about Vinyl having the best full sound i dont know since i havent done any research in that. But my ears and common sense would say that it is probably wrong because what i hear with my ear is that the CD has way more clear sound.

Well the thing with vinyl's is that it adds some 'warmth' to the sound. This may or may not be the effect you're looking for, and while it may work on some records, on others it may not be the desired effect. Well it's pretty much subjective and depends on the person who is listening to it if they like it or not. Personally, I like vinyl for old music like some jazz albums etc. But it doesn't work for me with new music, since there is a difference on how tracks were mastered back then and now. Adding this 'warmth' to a new album doesn't allways turn out to be desired. But again, this is totally subjective so while some people will like it, others won't.

MP3 vbr. I rarely play my CDs and I just buy them to support the artist and to have some good music when I borrow my parents car. Most of my CDs just goes straight to the shelf without even beeing played in the CD player :)

I do the same thing. I don't have a cd player. No money, no space for that. I buy the cd, I listen it once in my pc and then I rip it in 128 kbps mp3.

Yeah,yeah I know 128 is lame and I miss all the quality, but i always have the original cd if I want to listen at full quality.

Agreed. On a personal level, there is no difference in having an original audio CD and lossless WAVs/FLACs ripped onto your comouter, and then eventually burning them to a high quality CD-R.

Vinyl, on the other hand, is in a league of its own. I've got plenty music on wax, and while I am no sound engineer, from what I have gathered during the years, a well mastered vinyl cannot be surpassed in terms of sound clarity, wealth and detail. Don't take my words for granted though, as I came to this conclusion aided only by a pair of relatively healthy ears.

Vinyl rocks.

You can rip from vinyl too.

I know. And it sounds like utter crap unless you spend a fortune on decent equipment.

On the other hand, it doesn't take anything more than a free for download EAC software to rip original CDs in full lossless quality.

Ripped vinyl can sound good, and in my house it does (very much so), but there is nothing that even remotely touches the sound quality of a good vinyl. Nothing. Touches. The sound that is. Nothing.

As a physical medium I really do love vinyl! But I'm not buying much vinyl, I rather buy CDs despite I don't prefer them...

As a digital medium I like mp3s a lot. I can't warm my heart for wavs, they're so big. And flac I never tried. I stick with mp3s, my PC soundsystem isn't good anyway, so you won't notice that much difference between mp3 and wav...

• 2 weeks later...