Downtempo 2008!

Melancholyman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD, Alright these haven't even been released yet but I just found out that the Somnia 007 Release will be "Bluetech - Phoenix Rising" and Evan then stated that, this is just a sneak peak to prepare us for the forthcoming full length Bluetech album coming VERY VERY soon!! Oh yes! Really Bluetech and Solar Fields are the! Mozarts (there was more than one?! :blink: ? of downtempo!

OMGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD, Alright these haven't even been released yet but I just found out that the Somnia 007 Release will be "Bluetech - Phoenix Rising" and Evan then stated that, this is just a sneak peak to prepare us for the forthcoming full length Bluetech album coming VERY VERY soon!! Oh yes! Really Bluetech and Solar Fields are the! Mozarts (there was more than one?! :blink: ? of downtempo!

+cbl+matt hillier

And I feel obliged to put here the re-release of H.U.V.A Network - Distances

Nobody should miss out on this one.

Idd... Reservations have started... So it will be there for sure... :)

Anyway

Suntrip - Opus Iridium cd 2 is one of the best chill compies I own... Good melodies, nothing too ethnical and no usual dubbyness, so very ultimae like, but even more melodic then the usual ultimae cd... 10 on 10

Hol Baumann - Human is another personal favourite

Colourform is nice

Distant system was ok, but not really memorable in the end...

I awake I didn't like, really didn't like the vocals and if you leave them out then it seems the cd has not that much to offer...

Still need to buy some 2008 stuff so...

I have high hopes for the new album by Ishq & Pan Electric

Celestial Dragon - Vampire Sunrise

Compiled by Pete Pan

1> Colourform - Magic Carpet (Ishq rmx)

2> Evan Bartholomew - Spirit Happening

3> Overflow - Scintilla

4> (val)Liam - As Is

5> Distant System - Lost Sequence

6> Ishvara - Nomad (Arabian rmx)

7> Open System - Rise and Shine

8> KiloWatts - Nub

this is also on the way :rolleyes: matt hillier's been busy lately :drama: :clapping:

I haven't listened to as much as I'd like this year, but my favorites so far are Eat Static, Hol Baumann, Vataff Project, Distant System, and Orchid Star

I can't decide with Eat static whether I love or loathe 'back to earth'. In some parts it's fantastic while in others it's very, well... brown leather armchairs and syrup coated eyeballs. Sortof sickly sweet jazz. I need to give it a few more listens I think.

i was disappointed with back to earth...not my cup of tea, and i didn't have high expectations either, so :unsure:

I've shoved it back in for a quick spin before I go off to work and... I dunno. Still undecided. I think certain tracks just reeaalllly annoy me, and it brings down the entire album unfortunately. Especially epoch calypso which is way too in my face with the whole carnival thing it has going on. Like I said though, undecided.

I'm downloading that Satumnaisuus stuff right now, thanks for link. I haven't heard hardly any Finnish chillout/downtempto, but I love suomi.

In some parts it's fantastic while in others it's very, well... brown leather armchairs and syrup coated eyeballs. Sortof sickly sweet jazz.

Well I do like a lot of jazz music, so maybe that has something to do with it ;) I don't think it's the best album either, but it's one of the better chillout albums I've heard this year (which admittedly hasn't been much). To each his own though :)

I'm downloading that Satumnaisuus stuff right now, thanks for link. I haven't heard hardly any Finnish chillout/downtempto, but I love suomi.

Well I do like a lot of jazz music, so maybe that has something to do with it ;) I don't think it's the best album either, but it's one of the better chillout albums I've heard this year (which admittedly hasn't been much). To each his own though :)

if you like suomi you will love the Satumnaisuus =)

regarding back to earth, i actually like the jazzy parts (although not as good as Hi-Fi Companion), what i dislike about it is the pop arabic tunes :unsure: i think more original (or at least not pop) samples could've been used, and they don't even match the flow of the album IMO.

as a side note, i really like the cover art but it's a bit irrelevant to the album :unsure:

Like I said, I'm very undecided. I listened to 'Back To Earth' again last night and enjoyed it so... I dunno :unsure: Think it's just a piece that tunes into a specific mood to me that I need to be in to enjoy it. The jazzy riffs do it for me some times whilst others I can't stand them for very long. Never really immersed myself in the world of Jazz though so maybe that is something to do with it? Perhaps I should at some point :)

off topic: I once lived with a guy that was very into space jazz. He used to lock himself in his room and play it very quietly from his speakers then come storming out to shout at us periodically for talking too loud in the middle of the day.

that's funny...

one my roommates who is right next to my room has a jazz funk band and plays sax himself. so i always have some funky music going on next to me. the guy next to him (which is basically also next to me) is studying composition so from his room i can always hear classical/modern classical and drum n bass !!!!!! ...and i'm always playing psy up/down beat (while on the other side of the house there is jam room) so you can imagine it's very hectic here !!!!! poor neighbors :P

one my roommates who is right next to my room has a jazz funk band and plays sax himself. so i always have some funky music going on next to me. the guy next to him (which is basically also next to me) is studying composition so from his room i can always hear classical/modern classical and drum n bass !!!!!! ...and i'm always playing psy up/down beat (while on the other side of the house there is jam room) so you can imagine it's very hectic here !!!!! poor neighbors :P

Heh, that's brilliant. The only time we had anything even slightly similar was when we were living with the same guy I mentioned earlier and a deathmetal enthusiast (no idea what kind of music he was meant to be studying) at the same time. When I lived in halls though there was a Japanese dude who used to sing his heart out (bless his soul) and play awful sax music. He was awesome :D

My initial reaction to Hol Baumann's '[Human]' is very positive. Will take a few listens to really cement it up there but it's beautiful stuff. Then again I have another six or so releases from Ultimae I still havn't got round to listening to me sitting right here so who knows :)

That Satumnaisuus album is awesome. I think I might agree that it's the best downtempo of the year :) Will have to give it a few more listens before it really sinks in.

I really enjoy it as well. File under: soulful, happy, diverse, melodic. Certainly one of the better chill-out albums of the year I've heard. I actually got a hold of the album accidentally by meeting the artist at a train station, he was carrying a few extra copies in his bag... :)