Kino Oko - Alphabetically Divided Highway

soundmute

Posted Image

Kino Oko is one of those artists that I like to analyse throughout the music that he makes. I followed his work since first project Tromesa and of course, enjoyed in every moment of that progressive techno sound. From time to time he expressed more and more electro note in every project that he was involved. Actually, after his album from year 2005 under the name "Lost Entertainment", I realised that with project Kino Oko, Grzegorz provided more electro motives in some kind of progressive form, based on electro beats as well. Of course he always tries to give audience sound for any moments, morning, sunset, nights, open spaces, clubs. For example, tracks "Dead birth in the sky" & "Man upon the rainbow" are ones of the kind that sound like you can lift up your hands to the morning sunshine or in the culb ambience and disco lights, and you will feel the same effects just in different way. In both cases, these would be awesome moments. This is what I appreciate. Does he have the same effect on this new fresh release...? Well lets see/hear! :)

Put CD in deck and press play...

01.Any Kind of Structure

And we have beautiful sound and melody in the same style of Kino Oko. Start of the track sounds like some downtempo ambiental with peaceful minimal beat. Rhythm is very club moment and is perfect for night drive under the visual effect, BUT, as I said in prologue of this review, I can also see myself on some open space in the morning with this track. However, this track is in the right place on album. It's perfect for start or ending set. Track theme is amazing and can be really good motivation for a bit distorted remix track by, for exemple Extrawelt, cause they have that kind of style which is full of emotions and driving.

02.Made in satisfaction

And its realy made in satisfaction. Sounds like perfect extension for previous track. Someone is paying attention on album concept :D Very nice. Also, it's a little bit more agressive, I said A BIT, not much, which is coming from time to time through the theme. About the vocal, I must admit that I don't like its style at all. Actually, I may have got the point of artists, and again I say may have, where I don't like the message expression, with woman's voice or clear man's voice with a bit of delay or something, but also I don't like in tracks that kind of, let's say, comic way of talking.Sometimes can be ok like in "Dead birds in the sky" but here I don't like it at all. I hope that people will understand what I am trying to say.

03.Body and mind

Well in this song vocals have much, much better way of expression and effects. Maybe even at one moment, have some SFX vocal melody. Maybe its just effect on me like that, but in my head, I compose like that when I hear this track :D Anyway, I must say that if track have vocals in its arrangement, then that must be perfect fit on music, in my opinion. Sometimes repeating lot of time could have bad effect on track, but in this one "Body and mind" really moves me. Music part of track I dont have to mention cause this is kind of relaxing but dancing style I like. Electro, but not to much, progressive but not to much and perfect melodic short themes. Brilliant admixture of nowdays popular styles of electronic music.

04.Mother Mature

First thing that I noticed in this track is that it have much more oldschool motives then previous tracks. Track is almost POP of '80s. Hurricane!!! Sorry but POP of '80s is my first love and actual touch with electronic sound and it's very nice to hear that kind of influence on artists music in todays tracks. I tried this track in my car also... My advice, it's better to try that feeling when you read my description in this preview, just please volume UP!

05.Symphatetic magic death

SNAP! Snap is my favorite sound in music. Probably that stay me from time when I was listening to music just on records, not even from tapes. Nowdays I notice that some of artists put that kind of sound into tracks. I like that.

Great access to innovative trance style with a combination of classic. That piano sound is totaly... I don't know how to explain... strange, excellent, wierd at the same time. And, maybe, someone will ask, "Where do you see any simularity with trance style in this track?", just hear that bassline for just one moment! Perfect track for some full on remix :D and on the other hand, perfect performing that style of bassline in this kind of music like Kino Oko do.

06.Story of forgotten notes

Great start of track. Reminds me on old break beats stuff that I used to listen. Very nice relaxing expression of theme in track. I don't know why, but at one moment this track reminds of Daft Punk style. Of course, in much more peaceful form. I noticed after this album also, that Kino Oko is one of that composer that can reach any style of mucis and present in his unique way. Everything can hold that powerful form even with that coming down style of presenting/producing. Big respect for that skill!!!

07.Stand by me

And I am :) Im on the half of album and not going anywhere :) I know that peacefull intro on this track is just prelude to disco beat that will come later. Arrpegio melody is fantastic! Again it brings me back in the old time. Bassline have the most beautiful sound on album. Bell-shaped melody is awesome part in song. Totaly melancholic & dancing track.

08.Pure Irony

Trancy moments again. I think that effect which sound like some expression of animals, for exemple, monkies is unnecessary in this track, but this is the matter of taste, nothing else. Rest of track is great for me. Theme is pure emotion more than irony :D Maybe that apes effect should present that Irony from track name :D

09.Remedy Express

Maybe I missed by some accident in previous track but I have just been waiting when some glitchild moments on that album will show up. I never really liked that kind of effect but after some artists like Le Saboteur or Shulman or Talpa, I find that moment very interesting, just without overreacting. In this track, that effect is on the right place in normal volume of using. It gives me the feeling like rhythm is break beat from time to time. Oscillation of bassline is also perfect. Tiny melodies and big deep one-shot moments, completes my expectation.

10.Messiah Formula

From the first moment I was thinking that kick will go like trough that filter that makes him without bass on it, just on intro of track and then will be something like big pump and start drive normaly, but I was wrong and pleasantly surprised! Song carries on with the kick like that and the other parts of track play like track have full drive. Ok, my tension is still on the top and in expectation of big bang :D and track still drive without full kick sound but drive me no matter. Like those moments when composer overreacts and it goes through your mind "C'MON!!!". That tension was filled with electronic vocal that I like the most to hear in tracks. Robot singing. Something beautiful. Track still carries on!!! Element by element, from effect to effect, from sound to sound and finally it happens! It totally makes me chill!!! Kick have full power that I was looking for more than a half of the track. Melody is kind of Europian style, it's amazing!!! Whole trip is like in paradise. This is what I'm talking about somewhere at the beginning of my review, when I mentioned remixing track with Extrawelt. MELTING!!! Don't drive with this song ON! It's too perfect for not trying to fly! Just one complain on this "THE BEST" track on the album, second part of track is TOO SHORT for my taste! It's great that first part of track is that much long with all that trip to carry over the entire pre-euphoric part, but after that, Grzegorz, should do the same thing like with first part, just over and over and over... WOW! Simply the BEST!

11.Trough the round window

...and I discover that previous track actually HAVE kind of extension, JUST... just a bit different than it was in my mind. Like, calm down version and it's equally great as much as I expected. About the vocal, had the luck cause I used to listen to Hard Core and Trash Metal, and I like that half whispering vocals but in this arrangement, in my opinion, I think that would be better if vocal was 100% whispering speech...

And finaly, at the end, this is one totally fresh new creation, which is holding the style from previous album but have totally different view of story. Emotional in every way of looking and in the first place, powerful calm down music. What does that mean? Well in my head it means everything :D but in free translation it's something like, "everything you do on agressive and to euforic way, I can achieve same effect on people with much more relaxing style & production." And I say thank You for that kind of music.

At the end of this review I just want to say that I'm not here to promote campaign against the piracy, no matter if I dont like that kind of getting music. Just want to say that some of releases JUST DON'T DESERVE to be compressed. Thats all.

I hope that You enjoyed this as much as I did.

All the best

Lara

• 4 weeks later...

My new vote for album of the year - brilliant and innovative work - so artistic and intelligent - If you're sick of the unimaginative psytrance and want tomething truly unique, get this album... Fantastic!!

I didn't like the first Kino Oko album that much, but this one is just amazing...

I bought the first album & have most of big wigs and would definitely get this if it was released on fabula records, but am not sure from tribal vision.

That's got to be the silliest thing written today?! What difference does it make what label it is on? And why Fabula? Previous albums (both Kino Oko and Bigwigs) were released by Horns & Hoofs, BTW.

Go check the samples or download it and then buy it - it is that good. Or better else, I've one spare sealed copy I could trade for whatever you've got.

• 4 weeks later...

Kino Oko - Alphabetically Divided Highway

Tribal Vision Records, 2008

Posted Image

1. Any Kind Of Structure

2. Made In Satisfaction

3. Body And Mind

4. Mother Mature

5. Symphatetic Magic Death

6. Story Of Forgotten Notes

7. Stand By Me

8. Pure Irony

9. Remedy Express

10. Messiah Formula

11. Through The Round Window

Around the world, endless masses of people wallow and pat each others' backs in their own boring and conservative mud. A person with an open mind always manages to find more interesting things to do. Some time ago, Grzegorz Magnuszewski stood beside himself, took a look at the past and present from the outside, evaluated his ideas, feelings and emotions, and then suggested a future. This suggestion materialized in the form of yet another album with an intriguing title, "Alphabetically Divided Highway", explained in detail (along with many other things) by Magnes in the included booklet / poster. Information about an upcoming Kino Oko album appeared quite unexpectedly. The Tribal Vision Records label, which took up the task of publishing the album, was also a surprise. Changes included not only the name of the album (the initial working title was "Renaissance"), but also a changeover from Horns & Hoofs Entertainment to a different publishing house. Of course the most important changes concerned what is most important to us - the music. Music that turned out to be different from what we have been used to so far, but at the same time similar, for it is full of ideas and attractive, possibly calculated in such a way as to shove a musical stick in the anthill that is the stiff and unyielding environment of creators and consumers.

The CD is made up of 11 tracks from the creative world of Kino Oko. "Any Kind Of Structure" is a fusion of pleasant downtempo and rougher, minimal sounds, giving birth to the sound equivalent of cool ice cream (your favourite flavour, of course) with warm chocolate sauce. In "Made in Satisfaction" Magnes winks at the listener by decorating the piece with lyrics referencing the title. "Body And Mind" offers a livelier dynamic, vibrating and winding sounds, all of this held together by the lyrics, once again reminding us about the title. The initially lazy "Mother Mature" track gives us colourful melodies we can hum along to, a pleasant groove and teasing effects. These types of pieces always make us feel better. "Sympathetic Magic Death" is definitely one of my top two on this CD. Its main advantage is the tornado of intense sounds and frivolous piano, skillfully mixed with electronics, that will blow you away. It is addictive as hell. I dare you to find another creation like this. "Story Of Forgotten Notes" is another unique, in its own strange way, creature, which, like its brothers, leaves the land of pigeonholing far behind and gives us a moment of musical meditation. Some of the more trance-y tracks include the cheerful, acidy "Stand By Me", and "Pure Irony", full of silly tomfoolery. "Remedy Express" is another good excuse for your jaw lying on the floor. "Messiah Formula" (brilliant title) is the other of my top two on this album. Its undeniable, massive emotional charge, as well as the uplifting, slightly ballad-like climate and deceptively banal vocals make it hard to forget. No offense to the other tracks, but "Messiah Formula" itself can be the one reason to get acquainted with this CD. The last track, "Through The Round Window" is charged with sadness and sonic poetry and adds yet more essence to the album's value.

Before I wind up, I would like to mention something I found on the Discogs, which concerns the album I have just described. The style section of the album states: "Psy-Trance, Freestyle, Disco, Techno, Progressive Trance, Minimal" and the tempo of successive tracks is, I quote again, "133, 126, 136, 135, 140, 120, 132, 137, 133, 130, 120". As far as that detailed classification of styles is concerned, you will surely find way more than that on the album. As for the BPM, well, I have not checked, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Either way, both cases show that we are not dealing with a one-dimensional CD with just one specific tag, where all tracks are a steady 145 BPM and each one sounds like a cheap remix of the preceding one, leaving us with much to be desired. There are no two same tracks on the album and everything is captivating, throwing new sounds and solutions at the listener at every corner. Tracks like "Sympathetic Magic Death" or "Messiah Formula" have etched their form into my memory forever. The material burned into Kino Oko's second production is definitely not run of the mill. Grzesiek jumped off the bandwagon a long time ago and left behind people who beat music's proverbial dead horse, using the same motives over and over again (I am looking at you, Israeli full-on!). What is so special about this music that it is so attractive? Maybe the fact that there is not much competition for Kino Oko in the "difficult to classify" aisle. Or maybe the fact that it has got that "special something"? Or maybe… "Alphabetically Divided Highway" is an album for those who are sick and tired of bland, mass-produced music. The ever increasing repetitiveness of music and the lack of ideas for it show that what we need right now is a blast of fresh air. One that will throw us onto the highway of Magnes and others like him, where it is not the name, the loudness or dance-floor statistics that count, but the music.

www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tvr/tvr1cd020.html

That's got to be the silliest thing written today?! What difference does it make what label it is on? And why Fabula? Previous albums (both Kino Oko and Bigwigs) were released by Horns & Hoofs, BTW.

Go check the samples or download it and then buy it - it is that good. Or better else, I've one spare sealed copy I could trade for whatever you've got.

It is not maybe so silly if you consider what Tribal Vision normally releases? I mean, loads of artists changed their style, went on to another label, and the fans did not like what they heard. Its like that. For me though, I thought it was interesting that they release on Tribal Vision, as I knew that it might not be the cup of tea of the label, and I am glad to see that some labels get a BROADER vision and do not stick to their usual formula!

+1 for Tribal Vision :D

It is not maybe so silly if you consider what Tribal Vision normally releases? I mean, loads of artists changed their style, went on to another label, and the fans did not like what they heard. Its like that. For me though, I thought it was interesting that they release on Tribal Vision, as I knew that it might not be the cup of tea of the label, and I am glad to see that some labels get a BROADER vision and do not stick to their usual formula!

+1 for Tribal Vision :D

Still, I think it is silly to not listen to someone's new music just because they've changed the label! Has the guy heard about samples? Or P2P for that matter? Besides, Kino Oko did not went from Boshke to Chemical Crew or Spliff Music, now did they? Tribal Vision is a well know progressive label, and what Kino Oko is doing since the beginning is IMO a brand of progressive trance, with a pinch of electro, synth-pop and some techno. If anything, I'd say that they didn't fit to Boshke, because they sound nothing like Midi Miliz, Metalogic or Authentik and only in Tribal Vision they've found the right label... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting album. I haven't quite made up my mind but I will say that it's a grower.

Track 2 is an instant progressive classic though in my book. Damn this is nice.

Some of the rest I find more suitable for home listening rather than the dance floor. Which isn't to say anything bad about that.

Interesting album. I haven't quite made up my mind but I will say that it's a grower.

Track 2 is an instant progressive classic though in my book. Damn this is nice.

Some of the rest I find more suitable for home listening rather than the dance floor. Which isn't to say anything bad about that.

I see this album is made for homelistening. It's very much a grower, i find new things in this every time i listen! But it's a bit to slow for the dancefloor IMO.. But if you like dancing to electro(and other slower electronic music) this would work there as well :)

Absolutely in love with this album at the moment. Funky, playful, bouncy, melodic electro tinged progressive. I especially love made in satisfaction and body and mind, put a smie on my face whenever I hear them. Stands alongside ticon and haltya as my favourite album of the year so far. Lovely stuff.

IMO psytrance is often too fast for the dancefloor - I love psytrance but 145bpm isn't so great to dance too - I hear this from friends of mine who love dancing to electronic mnusic but say the beat in psytrance sucks... I have friends who despise psytrance because the beat is just too fast and aggressive...

Breakbeats can be so much more fun to dance too than the relentless psytrance beat, and they are waaay slower...

So I love slower psytrance albums - there's nothing about increasing the pace of the beat that makes me want to dance - I mean, if there's no beat I don't really want to dance to it but even psychill can be great to dance to if it has some sort of beat... Faster beat does not equal better dancing...

Slower psytrance is often groovier than faster psytrance, which makes dancing to it more fun for me -

IMO psytrance is often too fast for the dancefloor - I love psytrance but 145bpm isn't so great to dance too - I hear this from friends of mine who love dancing to electronic mnusic but say the beat in psytrance sucks... I have friends who despise psytrance because the beat is just too fast and aggressive...

Breakbeats can be so much more fun to dance too than the relentless psytrance beat, and they are waaay slower...

So I love slower psytrance albums - there's nothing about increasing the pace of the beat that makes me want to dance - I mean, if there's no beat I don't really want to dance to it but even psychill can be great to dance to if it has some sort of beat... Faster beat does not equal better dancing...

Slower psytrance is often groovier than faster psytrance, which makes dancing to it more fun for me -

Yeah, i said IMO :D When i dance to psytrance, i love to go nuts, stomping around looking like an idiot. Thats hard to do with slower electronic music IMO. Guess im just an agressive dancer :lol: But as i said, if you like dancing to slower music, this would work great as well.. For me, i'll just keep this album for homelistening (home dancing). I also pay much better attention to all the beautifull little details this album is filled with, if i don't dance to it :)

Another good release from Kino Oko. For my money, it is the best one so far. It is nice to hear people trying to make something different and trying to find their own unique voice.

Not every track on it is a winner, but this is still a very welcome CD and well deserving of the plaudits of our little world.

Recommended.

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Kino Oko

Alphabetically Divided Highway

Tribal Vision

26 Aug 2008

Trippy Psychedelic Funk

Tracklist

1 Any Kind Of Structure (6:41)

2 Made In Satisfaction (6:30)

3 Body And Mind (6:43)

4 Mother Mature (6:26)

5 Sympathetic Magic Death (7:06)

6 Story Of Forgotten Notes (6:55)

7 Stand By Me (6:19)

8 Pure Irony (7:20)

9 Remedy Express (6:52)

10 Messiah Formula (8:43)

11 Through The Round Window (7:46)

Forget the trippy as hell cover, forget the fact that this has been released on Tribal Vision, a much more clubby label than you'd expect to be releasing Kino Oko after the great first album Lost Entertainment which was to be honest a trippy masterpiece of sound. Dripping with acidic beats & melodies. Vocals added to the psychedelic feeling rather than detracted. Alphabetically Divided Highway picks up where the first album left off but also takes it much much further. Definitely one of the picks of the year.

1, Any Kind Of Structure

This track sounds broken, and a bit dirty. The opening is like a cracked open chill track with sporadic beats & melodic sounds. The beat kicks in as a slow driving one which gets more breaky. All the samples, sounds & melodies are trippy weird "non sci fi" sci fi. Like driving down a countryside road on a clear night, a perfect night for UFOs without any of it happening. An odd track that makes me wonder why I like it but like it I do, very funky.

2. Made In Satisfaction

A scratchy metallic intro leads into a nice relaxed beat & some cool melodies. The lead melody goes up and then sounds like it's falling down the stairs. The sub melodies are light & spacey adding a kind of ambience heightened after the breakdown & kick back in. Like the first track it's very funky and though it's definitely a modern track it has a kick back retro feeling like the 1980's. This retro feeling is completed with the vocal that sounds right out of some 80's synth pop. Cool.

3. Body & Mind

Feeling a little quicker now, a track more dancefloor worthy but no less interesting for home listening. Carrying on the mood of the last track with it's 1980's synth pop feel accentuated by the vocals. They sound similar to Made In Satisfaction but darker and more gravely. Even though both sets of vocals are put through effects it still has that feel. The melodies are more in the back of this track & it has more rhythm & glitch. I like.

4. Mother Nature

I feel the album really gets going with this track. It just manages to get so much energy out of the melodic elements. The synths are very tuneful and the on different levels play 3 different melodies conjoining each other. The feeling of modern retro synth funk is great. What I really love is that there is this slight higher pitch melody playing underneath everything that threatens to materialise into something big & after listening to the album many times I always think it's about to but never does. What a tease.

5. Sympathetic Magic Death

This track has a lush ambient intro & then just kicks into the main track with a really disjointed feeling. But it does it in a way that manges to sound well done and not a mistake. Adding to the trippiness not ruining the flow. All through the track it feels disjointed like it's broken as in Any Kind Of Structure. When the piano comes in it really gets an urgent feel, like the music is running from something always looking back over it's shoulder making it stumble but not fall. The beats are bouncy, it makes you move your body. It has great melody & rhythm, overall it's a great track.

6. Story Of Forgotten Notes

This for me is more reminiscent of the first album, it has that kind of sharp metallic tang to it that I loved in Lost Entertainment. More relaxed than the preceding track with more spacey ambience in the background. Very trippy, sounds like ambient with a beat and a bassline in the first half. It gets a bit glitchier as it goes on and more melodic with some very simple light melodies & squelchy sounds on the edge of the beats. The end of the track flips between funky & sci fi. It's all pretty odd but it's all pretty good too.

7. Stand By Me

Wow, wow, WOW!!! This is one of the melodic tracks of the year for sure. The main melodic line runs up & down, left & right and is accompanied by what sounds like a mix between crowd cheering & rain. I thought that would get tired pretty soon but it didn't at all. Each time it comes in I still smile. The melody moves around very pleasantly and it really is a feel good track in Kino Oko's weird trippy style. Love it!

8. Pure Irony

An ambient intro followed by some twisted laughter like a drugged up hyena! The laughter continues as the beat kicks in & through the rest of the track it is twisted & warped in really trippy ways. The long synth drones in the background gives us a nice spacey atmosphere again whereas the laugh bring me right down under the earth. I imagine a desert at night, cold and barren with threats in the darkness but also the beauty of the clear night sky filled with stars.

9 Remedy Express

This starts of glitchy but out of that glitch comes a clear crisp melody & bassline that really drives this emotionally. There is lots going on in the track on the sidelines, little blips of melody forming almost into a side tune, a lush natural melody that seems like it's trying to hide & scrathy bits of retro acid gleam in rusty glitter. Very cool.

10. Messiah Formula

This is one of those tracks that builds itself up from the bare bones to something truly wonderful. We go from just the beats to the synths to some clacks to a rushing sounds that seems to be powering up before it winds down & down until it disappears & the melody kicks in. The melody is accompanied by some long soft majestic synths & eventually some 80's synth pop sounding vocals. The rushing powering up sounds comes back in, build & builds as if it's all going to kick off & then it just lightly floats along on it's high notes. When the music finally does kick off it does so in a pretty relaxed way. It's all just very emotional, almost unexpected but very welcome. Great track, best on this great album.

11. Through The Round Window

A nice funky end to the album, relaxed with quite a slow beat. The melody & rhythm are quite a contrast to the dark creepy vocal that if it was put in some darker soundscapes could be quite scary. It almost sounds like someone is in pain, like the short stabs of melody are slicing through this poor soul's body & ripping him apart slowly. Resigned to a slow death surrounded by cool funky music.

So Kino Oko has made another essential album. It's fresh & retro at the same time. He has taken sounds from 20 odd years ago and blended them with a whole heap of other styles to create something that sounds pretty different to just about everything else out there. If you like really trippy cool funky music then you'll probably want to check this out.

This is an interesting release. I haven't heard the entire album yet, only the lengthier samples that I like very much so I'm adding them here. :)

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7494

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard brilliant things from lots of people about this album. Like 'best of 2008' etc.

I listened to it two times but haven't like it very much, one time with Dynamic Sound Generation from the system which was giving nightmares. Will have to listen to few times again, need a special timings for this.