Someone seems a Suntrip hater

Kai-Q

ever seen a store with a sign @ the entrance "this store sucks" ;)

no, but it would be cool if such a store existed ;)

anyway regarding rating your own stuff high, just check out the way The Nommos usually sit on second place in Goa Gill's charts. He won't put them on no. 1 spot cause he's a modest baba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off course you judge your own cd maximum,

selling a cd and rating it 1/5 would be very stupid :lol:

Cocos Outback in Amsterdam (Australian Bar and Restaurant) have a sign outside "Lousy food and Warm beer!" :lol: The food is really good there (They have the biggest Hamburger i've ever seen) I do not believe that any label would seriously label their music as crap though. I mean, its a neat marketing trick though! I have registered (just in case) the url craprecordings.com for some future thing that I am thinking about doing :D

http://www.cocosoutback.com/

Check out the photo gallery for the burgar!

My point is you just... don't rate your own releases and creations. 5/5 makes you seem like a dickbag, 1/5 just makes you seem stupid. Better keep your fingers off the rate button.

don't agree at all, "seem like a dickbag"

so :rolleyes:

everybodies perspectives ;)

Cocos Outback in Amsterdam (Australian Bar and Restaurant) have a sign outside "Lousy food and Warm beer!" :lol: The food is really good there (They have the biggest Hamburger i've ever seen) I do not believe that any label would seriously label their music as crap though. I mean, its a neat marketing trick though! I have registered (just in case) the url craprecordings.com for some future thing that I am thinking about doing :D

http://www.cocosoutback.com/

Check out the photo gallery for the burgar!

Holy shit, that gallery... is that the guy from this ancient picture?

Posted Image

I've always wondered how the hell you eat that

off course you judge your own cd maximum,

selling a cd and rating it 1/5 would be very stupid :lol:

Anoebis makes it clear that 3/5 is good and 4/5 is great to him. It's not that he has to rate it 5/5 or it's shit (some people rate this way mind you!).

Quoted for trolling

Quoted for stupidity & paranoia (are you a noob?).

My point is you just... don't rate your own releases and creations. 5/5 makes you seem like a dickbag, 1/5 just makes you seem stupid. Better keep your fingers off the rate button.

I agree that rating everything 5/5 that clearly isn't 5/5 makes you look like an dumbass out to inflate your ratings. I've seen people rate their own things properly before though. In this case I'm slightly disappointed as Anoebis' ratings for everything other than his own releases are usually good.

Ummm then labels should stop promoting their releases as well, stop putting all these nice promotional texts etc etc. If you can not show you love what you release, then you lose credibility. But hey, you all label owners out there, that have released so many tracks, you would of course know!!! :lol:

Holy shit, that gallery... is that the guy from this ancient picture?

Posted Image

I've always wondered how the hell you eat that

I found that with a fork and knife it works better than trying to eat it like a big mac. (Trust me, ive tried, and it said "FLOP" and the whole burger was on the table haha) :D

Rating is not a science. For me, the only etiquette that really applies is this: rate your own stuff up if you want, but don't go and rate everything else down just to make your stuff look better.

Luckily there has only been one guy that has crossed this line (on my site at least).

Anyhow, let's not lose sight of the fact that these ratings don't really mean all that much. More ratings equals more enthusiasm for a release, either positive or negative. A higher rating may mean that a release is widely loved or merely fits a niche interest. Low ratings, who the hell knows? Maybe the release is crap, or the artist has offended some people, or something else is at work. The point is: you don't know. These five star ratings are just a rough guide. I mean, is a release rated 4.67/5 objectively better than one rated 4.13/5? Who can say? All these numbers tell you is that there are some people that liked the release and maybe there is something about it worth checking out.

You should check out The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, a British sitcom from the Seventies. The main character set up a shop called "Grot" which exclusively sold rubbish.

anyway regarding rating your own stuff high, just check out the way The Nommos usually sit on second place in Goa Gill's charts. He won't put them on no. 1 spot cause he's a modest baba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually both Primal Meltdown and Worldbridger were given the top spot. Deservedly in the case of the former. Other Nommos/ Gil releases seem to have positions which are all over the place, e.g. Karmageddon sits at 13.

Rating is not a science. For me, the only etiquette that really applies is this: rate your own stuff up if you want, but don't go and rate everything else down just to make your stuff look better.

This rationale is quite retarded. By rating your stuff up and everyone else's fairly you're still doing it "just to make your stuff look better". :blink:

Sure, but it isn't at the expense of anyone else--that's the critical difference.

Look at what ratings are for: they give you an idea of how well people like a release and how much support it has. Anyone involved in the production of a release is probably going to be quite enthusiastic about it... why put a damper on that? You think there is some hope that publicly-accessible ratings systems on the web can be an accurate scientific measure of something? That would be absurd.

Sure, but it isn't at the expense of anyone else--that's the critical difference.

It is still at the expense of others just to a lesser extent. Rather than yours looking 5/5 and theirs 1/5, yours is 5/5 and theirs, say, 3/5. In reality both may be 3/5 for an easy example.

Look at what ratings are for: they give you an idea of how well people like a release and how much support it has.

If I were a competing label I wouldn't like Suntrip's releases and I wouldn't support them... so by this logic I should rate them all 1/5.

Anyone involved in the production of a release is probably going to be quite enthusiastic about it... why put a damper on that?

Enthusiastic enough to want to rate it fairly, or to try and portray it as a higher rating than you likely think it actually deserves? In other words: enthusiastic to make money or enthusiastic about producing music.

You think there is some hope that publicly-accessible ratings systems on the web can be an accurate scientific measure of something? That would be absurd.

This is a completely different topic.

If I were a competing label I wouldn't like Suntrip's releases and I wouldn't support them... so by this logic I should rate them all 1/5.

Rubbish. Labels don't "compete" like that; if you look at any psytrance label's website, chances are you'll find a load of links to other labels which put out similar music. Especially since many of the artists release music under several different labels.

Rubbish. Labels don't "compete" like that; if you look at any psytrance label's website, chances are you'll find a load of links to other labels which put out similar music. Especially since many of the artists release music under several different labels.

Maybe, but this is irrelevant to my point. If I don't like Suntrip I should rate them 1/5 by the aforequoted logic from Basilisk.

It is still at the expense of others just to a lesser extent. Rather than yours looking 5/5 and theirs 1/5, yours is 5/5 and theirs, say, 3/5. In reality both may be 3/5 for an easy example.

Once again you are assuming that these ratings represent objective values, that a releases IS a 3/5 or a 1/5 for example. But there isn't one correct answer when it comes to making a value judgement about music. We aren't solving equations here! Ratings are for fun; they are something to talk about, they are a rough guideline to how influential, inspiring, or interesting a release is, or perhaps something else entirely given how the system works.

That's your logic, not mine. I've already stated that I feel that voting for your own stuff is not at all like trashing the work of your "competitors." On one hand we have enthusiasm... and on the other, vindictiveness. But I can see why a jaded old sod like yourself might confuse the two.

Once again you are assuming that these ratings represent objective values, that a releases IS a 3/5 or a 1/5 for example. But there isn't one correct answer when it comes to making a value judgement about music. We aren't solving equations here! Ratings are for fun; they are something to talk about, they are a rough guideline to how influential, inspiring, or interesting a release is, or perhaps something else entirely given how the system works.

They still represent subjective values on a subjective criteria.

That's your logic, not mine.

Right... I quote something by you and your response is basically "no, you said that"? :rolleyes:

I've already stated that I feel that voting for your own stuff is not at all like trashing the work of your "competitors." On one hand we have enthusiasm... and on the other, vindictiveness.

You have indeed stated how you "feel". You also tried to back this up but I pointed out how it was irrational. Can you back it up properly or just reassert how you feel?

But I can see why a jaded old sod like yourself might confuse the two.

Ad hominems have no place here.

Sunwolf, why is your opinion right and Basilisks wrong? convince me (seems like that is your mission and I'm sure you could go on for a few pages).

You still seem to think that there is some absolute truth to these ratings. :lol:

You said it yourself, it's subjective. Do you think small independent labels release anything that in their view is less then great?

Sunwolf, why is your opinion right and Basilisks wrong? convince me (seems like that is your mission and I'm sure you could go on for a few pages).

You still seem to think that there is some absolute truth to these ratings. :lol:

You said it yourself, it's subjective. Do you think small independent labels release anything that in their view is less then great?

I see around 2 Label Owners actually here, (Well, and one EX label owner) :D Funny in a way... no? :lol:

I see around 2 Label Owners actually here, (Well, and one EX label owner) :D Funny in a way... no? :lol:

some people take goa way too serious. We're all just hobbyist Artist / Dj / labels trying to keep a semiproffesional attitude. People who are not an artist, DJ or label are often the ones with the most critics. IMO, you have 2 kinds of critics,

1) n00bs who think they saw the light and are on a divine mission

2) artist who think they will reach the top and glamour, AKA "too far up yer ass"-people

It's like talking to a monkey about the Aesthetics of eating peanuts, you can start a whole phylosophical debate and add historical arguments to convince him of your divine plan but in the end the monkey wil just frown, turn around and fart in your face while he nibbles on his precious peanuts. To some people it might look like UFO's have lost an ancient artifact that coincidentally landed in some CD cover and transformed them into some alpha spiritual being that made them capable of healing cancer and walking on water (while everybody who is actively involved is concidered a kapitalist) but in the end when these illusions all faded all that is left are peanuts to keep you busy on a boring day.

I don't know if that was a good metaphore but it's the best i can think of at the moment.

So, i frown on fantatic old skool fanboys, turn my back to them and fart, I admit ignorance and lack of ambition & vision, i'm not here to save the world with divine goatrance,I'm an inferior monkey that just likes peanuts.

I've shown you the inconsistencies in his opinion. I have no intention of trying to make you adopt you my superior opinion. :rolleyes:

Do you think small independent labels release anything that in their view is less then great?

I don't see any reason why they would only release 5/5 material. Perhaps you could present an argument?