How do you judge music?

sunwolf

I don't usually put numbers or grades to music. I just describe.

Utter shite vomit crap avoid at all costs up to an almost perfect masterpiece!

What makes the difference between shit and masterpeice?! There must be a criteria.

I mean based on what qualities?

How do you decide that something is 1/5 while something else is a 5/5?

I count the layers, naturally. Anything with under 28 of them is pure crap. I aked DJ Tiesto. :wank:

I don't have a neutral criteria to judge music. I don't care if it's commercial or not or if it's easy to make or technicaly advanced. Either I like it or not, that's all. Important for me are the melodies and effects, this makes me like or dislike a song most of the times.

Production quality, plot, unique effects or melodies, stuff that grap your attention an show you something special is what makes me rate something high... It usually falls down again after some time, so i've stopped rating albums i have only listened to for a month or to... Example is penta's Portuguise abduction, i rated it 9/10 wich i regret now :lol: I was just overwelmed by it the first 3-4 listens, but now i wouldn't give it higher than a 7/10... So it's really hard to rate music like this IMO

Production quality, plot, unique effects or melodies, stuff that grap your attention an show you something special is what makes me rate something high... It usually falls down again after some time, so i've stopped rating albums i have only listened to for a month or to... Example is penta's Portuguise abduction, i rated it 9/10 wich i regret now :lol: I was just overwelmed by it the first 3-4 listens, but now i wouldn't give it higher than a 7/10... So it's really hard to rate music like this IMO

Yeah, it's pretty much pointless. All music has different qualities depending on your perspective.

The most important thing is to listen to it and enjoy it IMO.

I judge on the basis how psychedelic it is.

Also sometimes how wierd it makes me feel making feel good at the same time, what kinds of visuals and visions it might create when eyes closed, how much the music transports you and brings you back.

also http://www.leadingshield.com/chakra%20page.htm

For some albums I also try imagining a party(doof) or festival and how the crowds will like it.

Simple. Quality of mastering doesn't count, pump of the bassline doesn't count, use of effects doesn't count.

What counts for me is originality, uniqueness, the pursuit for new sounds and ways to keep the listener interested throghout the whole song/album. If a song/album achieves that, I care less about any mastering and I can easly vote it a 5/5. That's why most psy gets a nice 0/5 from me these days.

Originality remains the main driver. Teh track had to make me dream.

Melodic content and homogeneity are very iportant too.

Production quality comes the last (as a producer) because I know an artist can improve very fast in production.

Most important things for me are:

Story (There has to be a start, a middle and an end)

Melodies (unless it has really wicked sounds it has to have a melody)

Sound (The more intricate or original the track/song is the more I like it)

The "it" factor (Very few producers have "it". There's a lot of good music I like but only 10% of it has something special. Something like Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Pink Floyd etc.. Something beyond the 3 other criterias)

from my own perspective...

it all depends what the meaning of the artist was in the first place,

in that concept I try to judge by comparing other artist who tried to achieve the same goal/destiny...

and then in general towards all psy/goa released from the beginning...

That's a difficult one...

I really can't say.

Although just saying "either I like or dislike" is too easy ... although it is like that with me.

It's not the production quality.

It's not the psychedelia.

It's not even the melodies.

It's not the structure. Track doesn't need to have beginning and end.

It's not a matter of the genre.

And it's not - not at all - a matter of emotions in the music.

To an extent it's originality. But only to an extent.

It kinda much depends on the flow of energy.

You know, music is energy. And I like the artists who make the energy flow wisely through my mind and through my body in a certain way.

I often recognize this type of music where there's a long progressive track that's always and continuously and steadily giving energy, never too much, never too little. This energizes my mind and body in a way that is just perfect.

On the other hand there are relaxing tracks which make my body relax and my thoughts chill just in a perfect way ... just like a good massage could do for example. And that's not even so far apart, because the massage as well as the music activate certain energy centres in the body. If it's the right ones, then the music is good. If there is a disturbance, it's not good.

This is something that can't be measured in "psychedelia" or other criteria of music production, it's something else, something deeper. It also can't really be mesured with genre. It's funny, but I guess that's how it is...

Many of you are basically saying you rate music by how it makes you feel emotionally.

Personally I agree with a few things said. I like music to tell a story, and a realistic one at that. It should build towards a goal. It shouldn't just serve to put me in a state of bliss. I like depth, creativity, originality, etc.

Its all subjective, you can't quantify parameters. Anyway....

1. What kind of feeling does each track give me on a careful listen? A good acid trance track makes me feel like I'm flying into a star o_0

2. How formulaic is it? It may give me that "feeling" but if it uses formulaic elements its a goner or will get a lower place.

3. If it was a track produced wayy back, then I respect it more.

Basically the "feeling" :posford:

It shouldn't just serve to put me in a state of bliss.

See, here you can see how different people's tastes are, because that's what it should do for me! It actually must put me in a state of bliss, otherwise it can never be a good track for me!

That's also why I dislike emotional tracks. Vibrasphere's Archipelago for example ... I don't like that one very much. It doesn't put me in a state of bliss. So it's not good stuff, I don't enjoy listening to it...