LSD and (progressive) psy

Tatsu

I was visiting two parties during the last month, both included heavy tripping on LSD. I guess it hardly comes as a surprise to anybody who has tested that substance that music sounds way more interesting, sometimes even like a new track and even better than when listeing to it sober. It's even less of a surprise, if that is possible ;), that this pheomenon is especially strong with psychedelic music, even when the effects for me are also visible with regular rock or whatever. Considering my experiences at the party and also with the music I've listened at home when I was still on LSD I have to say that there is a huge difference between the different psy tracks!

There are some special tracks, or in the best case even whole albums, that sound absolutely mind-blowing, fantastic, divine and perfect when I liste to them while tripping. The feeling they give me because of those amazing melodies and effects are beyong everything I can describe with words and I don't know if somebody who never took acid can even imagine what I mean. There are tracks that make me cream my pants or make me cry from all the bliss, or even both at once. For me personaly progressive psy has the biggest potential in that. I mean I love full-on and I own way more full-on or old-school goa cds and records than progressive and mind you, I think they are highly psychedelic and also fit tripping (for my personal taste at last). Still, the movement from a great album to an absolutely mind-blowing one is way bigger with progressive. Maybe it's actually because I normally don't appreciate progressive as much as the other styles so it's a bigger surprise to be blown away. Same goes for some minimal vinyls I was listening too (not minimal-minimal if you know what I mean, GSH calls this style neo-trance). It also goes a bit further. I was listening to the Reefer Decree album and considering I was so moved by it yesterday I have to say I'm pretty dissappointed after listening to t sober today. <_< Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice album but actually it's far from being as genious as it was while tripping. It's just nice regular progressive with nice melodies.

What are your own experince with music while tripping? I take it i this forum are several people who consider themselves audiophiles on the same level than I am so I wonder what styles move you the most and your general experiences with it. And of course I'm also very hungry for recommendations, means specific tracks. To give you a hint what I'm looking for, I will post a short list with stuff that makes me loosing my mind. I'm willing to try whatever you tell me but I think that this phenomenon is highly based on personal taste so naming some stuff I allready adore might lead to more good recommendations. So here we go:

Ticon - 1987

Lish - the whole Free Fall album

Reefer Decree - the whole Pont Of You album

Day.Din, Audiomatic, Aerospace and most likely also the other Spintwist albums

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom

both Hallucinogen and the Shpongle albums, no surprise I think... ;-)

Space Cat - Mechanical Dream

Sub6 - 7th Son (Ticon Remix)

Guy Gerber & Shlomi Arber - Sea Of Sand and After Love

Psysex - Goa Human Experience (well, also the rest of the new album)

Eclipse - Eclipse and Sunshine (one track was way better than the other but I can't remember which one...)

I mainly like, also when sober, high pitched tones and of course 303 lines. So recommending me for example old-school albums will no exactly be necessary. Not that I don't appreciate that but I allready own quite a lot of that stuff so I'm especially hot for new stuff, especially melodic progressive. Bring it on! :wub:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Shpongle to be pretty incredible on LSD! I was introduced to psytrance through Shpongle and I have had trouble finding much that is on par. My favorite tracks (both on and off additives) are probably "Nothing Lasts", "...But Nothing Lost" and "Molecular Superstructure" all of which are from the album "Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Lost".

I also had a great DMT experience while listening to Scanner from Younger Brother's Flock of Bleeps (so more Posford). During the track there appeared in my vision the face of a clown. It stuck out its tongue which curled up into a tight spiral cage inside which was a clown playing on the ribs of the spiral like they were the bars of a xylophone. Fun.

Blumenkraft by Ott (more Posford involvement) is an album I find works very well as a whole. My experience with this is more with DMT than LSD but I imagine there isn't too much of a difference.

I find the flute work of Raja Ram to really be quite magical in general but more so under the influence.

What I find really exhilirating is the connection I feel to the producer of the music when I'm under the influence. I (feel I) fully comprehend the intent behind the music. The impact of that has a profound effect on me.

I'm not that good with genrefication... can you give me what you would consider the perfect example of "Progressive" psy?

All I can say is: "I wish I had taken some Psychedelics when I heard Jimmy van M this weekend" because fuck, it was so psychedelic, but yet so minimal, yet so housey, yet so fucking trance, and here I did not have more than 4 beers at that time :D

more psychedelic the better it is...

i almost always listen to downtempo since they sound more psychedelic to me, but i guess that's not what you are asking for (but give the carbon based lifeforms - hydroponic gardens a try, you won't regret it ;))

as for uptempo i recommend Jikkenteki...one of the most psychedelic upbeat music i've ever listened to...

at the end of tripping try pink floyd - echoes (in Meddle album)....it's magic :ph34r:

e. ps. (off topic) are you in world 22 !?!?!?!?

All I can say is: "I wish I had taken some Psychedelics when I heard Jimmy van M this weekend" because fuck, it was so psychedelic, but yet so minimal, yet so housey, yet so fucking trance, and here I did not have more than 4 beers at that time :D

sometimes you dont need more to get in a state of trance :)

just depends on the quality of the music, the atmosphere, and the length of that guys set hehe

once went to a party on sundays, in a club here, where this guy played all night (Djamoon aka Dj Marko)

also just had some drinks then, but was totally awesome =)

well.. could be that he shared the decks with someone, but i didnt see really any lineup or sth then

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! :) Younger Brother are sure a must and Shpongle is a well known name to try too. Next time I will most likely not trip at a party but at my home or during a long walk, so lots of time to try all the music... :)

@damagedon:

Well, perfect is of course a subjective thing in that case but for me Lish - Free Fall and Reefer Decree - Point Of You are two perfect albums. If you konw anything that sounds a bit similar, feel free to tell me! :) I think Benza - Retrofuturism could be perfect too, I will for sure try it the next time.

@nemo:

sounds like a great party, I take it you had lots of fun! :)

@psyayam:

I own that Carbon Based Lifeform album and I will for sure check it out. I don't know if I would have thought about it without you. :) When talking about ambient/downtempo albums I will for sure also give the Psyfactor album a try.

If you wanna trip on some progressive, just dig that Native Radio album from 2001, and play un der the sun !

Apart from that, please test VA - Trip Through Sound from Blue Room Rec 1996 :)

I am not mentionaing Hallucinogen projects, it's so obvious.

Yeah, some more recommendations! :posford: Will see if I can dig out some samples...

I've just checked discogs and there is one seller who sells the Native Radio album for 2 Euros, and some other releases for similar cheap prises. Lots of Midjium record samples, think I will order... :P

Saikosounds has some Native Radio samples, it's hard to judge since I'm sober but it really sounds like a good thing. :P

Without any doubt... RA - 9th is thé most blisfull music on LSD, also California Sunshine - Nasha is AMAZING under that substance, the joy, the spirals, the atmosphere are UNIQUE and the best you will ever feel (and for some odd reason Ra has that softish/softer progressive feeling in his album as well I think)

I completely agree tatsu, listening progressive while tripping really is something else (especially when live). It's just such great music to completely get lost in and float away to... Full on (unless its reeeally good a la eat static or koxbox) has a tendency to annoy me when on psychedelics, especially with the over use of the clicky kick drum.

My best musical experiences whilst tripping are as follows:

Live:

Atmos: he did a retro set at universo paralello last year, playing all of his pre 2nd brigade stuff and it was absolutely unbelievable. So unbelieveably DEEP. One of the very best sets I've heard. (He also played another set consisting of mainly new material and I wasn't nearly as impressed unfortunately :()

Perfect Stranger: Absolutely mindblowing live. His music is so interesting to listen to on a trip, there are so many different sounds to hone in on, and the music is constantly changing and evolving with every second that goes by, with so many great and often unexpected twists and turns in it that just make your jaw drop. He has a great way of building up a song to what feels like an explosive climax before sneakily dropping in a deep, nasty bassline that sends shivers down your spine. At the peak of his career atm IMO, catch him whilst he's hot.

Ace Ventura: The break in The Light practically destroyed me when I heard it live. So emotional and he does it live so well. Worth seeing live just for this one song (even if the rest of his set is great too)

The Orb live: A non psy act that completely blew me away when I saw them live at glade on acid this year. Took me on one of my best musical journeys to date. Little fluffy clouds was soooo beautiful :rolleyes:

Home listening:

William Orbit's O give and Orbital's Belfast will always hold a special place in my heart as they were the first songs I had the pleasure of hearing when I had my first trip. Still send shivers down my spine to this day.

BT's This Binary Universe and particularly the Good morning kaia are also very special for me. We listened to this album nearly all the way through when on mushrooms in my room. Dawn was just starting to emerge as good morning kaia came on and as the song crescendoed as did the rays of light coming into my room.

My other two tripping companions are Trentemoller's The Last Resort and Solar Fields Earthshine (and particularly air song, my all time favourite tripping tune), both of which take on spectucar new dimensions when listened to under the influence.

Human Blue: Electric Roundabout album and Atom song were also amazing to listen. The music made me feel like I was the protagonist from the film the fountain flying through space when I closed my eyes and let it take me away.

Oh and Shpongle of course :P

Hehe, that's a nice bunch of recommendations yohankiwi. :)

More stuff to check out... And I totaly forgot about some stuff that I allready have and must listen the next time I trip: VIBRASPHERE!!!! And also the Lovefield - No Dream But Life samples, the AKD album.

I allready gave the Atmos album a listen (well, the samples at Saikosounds) and I have to say that it's rather boring. Maybe I should say that I really dislike most of the old psyprogressive that is in that style. It's just way too boring and monotone for me. At least if I'm sober, I can't judge how it would sound so maybe I might give it a try anyway just to see what happens. I do remember seeing atmos live once or twice around 2001 or something (when progressive started to get big in psy) and I have to say I was bored everytime. Again, I wasn't tripping but that typical prog-sound from those days is not my thing. Thanks anyway, I'm really glad about any recommendation and maybe it's time to open my mind... ;)

Ace Venture is a must tho. I allready own the album. It has some monotone parts in some songs (for my taste, mind you) but with every song as soon as I start thinking ok, that's it there is an amazing part with either a melody or an effect that is just gorgeus. So I will try this for sure! Maybe some more newer Iboga stuff that is worth checking out?

Oh, and I just lately got two Orb Cds, they are on the list to try too now. Haven't even listened to them but I know Little Fluffy Clouds and it's graet!

I completely agree tatsu, listening progressive while tripping really is something else (especially when live). It's just such great music to completely get lost in and float away to... Full on (unless its reeeally good a la eat static or koxbox) has a tendency to annoy me when on psychedelics, especially with the over use of the clicky kick drum.

don't really count full on as being psychedelic :)

the one i recommended (the klinik one) u can definately count as progressive sounding

but it's more a balanced blend of things, which make it really fluid/transparent

perfect LSD-dancefloor material :)

link

Home listening:

William Orbit's O give and Orbital's Belfast will always hold a special place in my heart as they were the first songs I had the pleasure of hearing when I had my first trip. Still send shivers down my spine to this day.

William Orbit's Strange Cargo III i can definately recommend

this one as well

and empusae's metaphorical loss

beaumont hannant is also quite enjoyable stuff (lovely analog synthsounds)

Hehe, that's a nice bunch of recommendations yohankiwi. :)

More stuff to check out... And I totaly forgot about some stuff that I allready have and must listen the next time I trip: VIBRASPHERE!!!! And also the Lovefield - No Dream But Life samples, the AKD album.

I allready gave the Atmos album a listen (well, the samples at Saikosounds) and I have to say that it's rather boring. Maybe I should say that I really dislike most of the old psyprogressive that is in that style. It's just way too boring and monotone for me. At least if I'm sober, I can't judge how it would sound so maybe I might give it a try anyway just to see what happens. I do remember seeing atmos live once or twice around 2001 or something (when progressive started to get big in psy) and I have to say I was bored everytime. Again, I wasn't tripping but that typical prog-sound from those days is not my thing. Thanks anyway, I'm really glad about any recommendation and maybe it's time to open my mind... ;)

Ace Venture is a must tho. I allready own the album. It has some monotone parts in some songs (for my taste, mind you) but with every song as soon as I start thinking ok, that's it there is an amazing part with either a melody or an effect that is just gorgeus. So I will try this for sure! Maybe some more newer Iboga stuff that is worth checking out?

Oh, and I just lately got two Orb Cds, they are on the list to try too now. Haven't even listened to them but I know Little Fluffy Clouds and it's graet!

Ah yes, vibrasphere are certainly on my next-to-listen-to-whilst-tripping list. Along with tegma's Around the world in 80 minutes album. Need to check the AKD album, heard lots of good things about it, i'm sure it'll be right up my street!

If you like techno infused prog then defo check out perfect stranger's albums on Iboga: learning=changed and his remix album changed if you don't have already, my favourite prog producer of the moment. Didnt think too much of antix's latest effort though, it's ok but compared to twin coast discovery it just simply doesn't compare!

I haven't listened a lot of progressive during LSD trips, but I don't think it is very psychedelic although it is pretty entrancing but not crazy enough. I find minimal techno way more psychedelic.. Extrawelt for example is really amazing on acid and way more psychedelic than A LOT of prog, dark, goatrance, suomi and off course full on :P..

However some psy albums are really insane on acid..

Quasar - One Day

Psykovsky - Debut

Kindzadza - Waves From Inner Space

Furious - Uncanny Beats

but most psychedelic is when you dance on the music imo, than you really get in trance ;)

craaazy dj sets/live acts which i have seen on LSD:

Boddhisattva 13:20 :blink:

Derango

Kindzadza (2x)

Psykovsky

Osom

Fungus Funk

Horror Place/Zik

Cosmo

Para Halu

also Venetian Snares their dj-set was fucking psychedelic (check their album Rossz Czilag Szeletett Allat or something like that :P), without a doubt as psychedelic as al these psy acts.. most hardcore/breakcore which sounds good sober is also waaay better on acid.. check Micron => good frenchcore with clean but raw sound and crazy production. When I heard one of his tracks when I was really far gone from a hard hit his track sounded like everything was controlled by hands :blink:

Suomisaundi is also really the bomb on acid, especially on the dance floor.. Texas Faggott - My Little Runaway and TF - Hoosiana :clapping:

the first time I heard these tracks was in a set from dj lepton in the morning after a night of Total and Hishiryo which i didn't find that psychedelic but when the suomi came it was bliss!

I haven't seen much old school live acts but most of the old school sounds pretty good on acid..

Ubar Tmar, Cosmosis, Hallucinogen, Filteria for example..

and of course Divine Moments of the Truth!! especially with the flashback.swf it really really rocks if you are tripping hard :P

don't really count full on as being psychedelic :)

the one i recommended (the klinik one) u can definately count as progressive sounding

but it's more a balanced blend of things, which make it really fluid/transparent

perfect LSD-dancefloor material :)

link

William Orbit's Strange Cargo III i can definately recommend

this one as well

and empusae's metaphorical loss

beaumont hannant is also quite enjoyable stuff (lovely analog synthsounds)

I absolutely don't agree about full-on. ;) I've been tripping hard while being at a full-on party (Time Lock live that was, and some DJs) and especially with Time Lock I had the same phenomenon like I have now with progressive psy. The live set was absolutely mind-blowing but the album itself was pretty regular stuff when listening to it sober. But it's for sure on my trip-list since the live was really amazing. For me full-on is very psychedelic. Sure, it always depends what tracks but generally speaking and for my personal understandign it is.

I'm very curious about the Klinik album but since I wasn't able to find any samples and since I'm rather short on money I will keep it in my mind instead of order straight away. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Ah yes, vibrasphere are certainly on my next-to-listen-to-whilst-tripping list. Along with tegma's Around the world in 80 minutes album. Need to check the AKD album, heard lots of good things about it, i'm sure it'll be right up my street!

If you like techno infused prog then defo check out perfect stranger's albums on Iboga: learning=changed and his remix album changed if you don't have already, my favourite prog producer of the moment. Didnt think too much of antix's latest effort though, it's ok but compared to twin coast discovery it just simply doesn't compare!

Yeah, Tegma could be cool! I have one of their livesets and it is nice. The album itself didn't impress me too much but once agian, I was sober when I heard it so there is room for surprises... ;)

Oh you wanted specific recommendations... Then these to albums gave me the best trips... Totally sent of to a different place and time.. Through the hole album(both of them) Love to "wake up" after you've listened to the full length an realize how disorientated you have been troughout...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know each time I use lsd, I start spinning psychedelic trance,

but always end with one band,

the cure

can't help it :unsure: ,

often psychedelic music is too overloaded on acid imo...

like yahel for instance, can't hear it on lsd, damn, but I like his style (the first releases)

Oh you wanted specific recommendations... Then these to albums gave me the best trips... Totally sent of to a different place and time.. Through the hole album(both of them) Love to "wake up" after you've listened to the full length an realize how disorientated you have been troughout...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not very progressive albums they are.

I don't know each time I use lsd, I start spinning psychedelic trance,

but always end with one band,

the cure

can't help it :unsure: ,

often psychedelic music is too overloaded on acid imo...

like yahel for instance, can't hear it on lsd, damn, but I like his style (the first releases)

I will for sure try Yahel, he is among my favourite artists ever. Epecially the Wave Of Sound release. I plan to go on a long walk on LSD on Friday so I allready have to start going through my CDs and decide what to take with me! :P Blue Vortex could also be cool, they use similar effects like Yahel on the Waves Of Sound album but they sound more progressive so it could fit.