Making Electronic Music

My question is formulated in the topic description!

So, I want to invest in some gear and get totally into making electronic music. A lot of people say that it requires some musical backround, which I do not have for shit (besides DJing and I am no pro)!

What do you guys reckon? If no, give some examples of successful producers that do not have a musical background...

Cheers!

My question is formulated in the topic description!

So, I want to invest in some gear and get totally into making electronic music. A lot of people say that it requires some musical backround, which I do not have for shit (besides DJing and I am no pro)!

What do you guys reckon? If no, give some examples of successful producers that do not have a musical background...

Cheers!

I don't have any musical background, and i do electronic music :) I learned the notes, how they work together and basic rythm understanding by producing trance :) So i guess it's easier if you can play an instrument, but it's not neccesary IMO... If you have basic musical understanding, you should be allright!

Since it's music, I'd say "yes, of course". Why would it not? You're writing music. Actual producers (who just produce, not write) don't necessarily need to have musical skill, but even then it's quite helpful.

However, everybody's musical background has to start somewhere.

It certainly helps, in my opinion. "Know the rules so you know how to break them properly." Knowing too much can be a bad thing, too. I recommend finding a book on basic music theory, like a Music Theory for Dummies kind of thing, which should teach one about time signatures, key signatures and scales, chord structures, notes and rests, etc. It's really not that complicated, although it can definitely be made complicated. Learning some basic music theory, in my opinion, will be a lot easier than learning production, in my opinion, which will also be helpful if not necessary. Good luck! :)

I think such discussions are the lest needed for newcomers to music making ;)

Leave it and once you feel you really want to learn something (if you ever need to), then do so and learn, until then - enjoy yourself and gain experience.

I think such discussions are the lest needed for newcomers to music making ;)

Leave it and once you feel you really want to learn something (if you ever need to), then do so and learn, until then - enjoy yourself and gain experience.

Shanti Baba Baby :drama:

Age 11 : Recorded the Dr Who Theme from the TV

Age 12 : I would thump the mattress with my hands

Age 14 : I would drum on the tub

Age 16 : I recorded scratching a piece of ribbed vinyl

Age 17 : Rapped on my brother's outgoing answering machine message...