The "Not as much love for IFO as everyone else" thread

Veracohr

well you say it's easy to make so if it's that easy why don't you release some music then? And don't tell me that you prefer your dayjob to becoming the next psytrance star...

Seriously, this is an extremely illogic line of arguement. Pink Floyd or the Beatles are not as complex as the most simple symphony..that doesn't follow though that The Beatles or Pink Floyd's music is simple and easy to create.

Mozart made great music for prancing around 18th century austria in a powdered whig, its not exactly something I relate too or really care to experience.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys don't confuse Goa Trance making with Great Goa Trance making. There's a huge difference!

Everyone can make a Goa track with a soft studio and some practice, that doesn't mean that Goa is easy to be made, cause normally this track will sound mediocre at best.

It's not difficult to write rock music either if you know how to play guitar or even jazz. But I agree with Lemmiwinks here. Years later and from all the new schol goa artists I haven't heard anyone that come close to the quality, complexity and magic of Pleiadians, AP, Koxbox or Transwave.

Writing a catchy melody and add 2 or 3 layers on top is not such a big of deal. How are you gonna make all those elements flow together is!

For me the only kind of music that it's extremelly difficult (almost imposible) to write someone without talent is classical, since (most of the times) it's a multi-layer, highly complex music with an undescribable flow.

Besides classic everything else can easily or not so easily be made. Is it gonna be any good? I doubt that!

ok mr smarty pants (and all the others who think that goatrance is so easy to make). If it's that easy to make then why not become the next Pleiadians or Astral Projection??? You'd make thousands of euros by having fun and journey around the world. It's every goatrancer's dream yet there you are, stuck with doing a 9 to 5 job and just fiddling around with some synths in your bedroom without actually releasing anything. Clearly this is proof that it's not as easy as you guys make it sound...

ok, it may sound smarty pants stuff, sorry for that, but it's the truth.

I feel like i just walked into a church and screamed: "Jesus was just a just vulnerable human" resulting in fainting people all around

it is not about good or bad here, just perspective.

I've been making music for 7 years, and i never promoted my work towards labels and organizers, because i always want more, it's never good enough, and i don't want to rush in and make something mediocre but acceptable by a limited public. I do not care about the money but about knowledge & technical skills. Success is not proof of knowledge & technical skills, alot of succesfull music is easy to make, but that doesn't make it inferior, it's good to have a simple formula that works perfect but my interest is more than just nice tunes.

I am a sound technician and have to work with hordes of (sometimes annoying) musicians & actors each day; it just made me see things differently, but i still respect goa-trance, it is amongst my fav genres, it's good music, but it's in a different perspective now.

When it comes to music & audio i am satisfied with what i have now, but i want to be realistic, know where i'm standing, how i must grow and have a realistic image about the universe of music.

if you want to listen to some of my music: clicky

My most musical tracks are blue void,sharkbits, varuna, astral pulse & medusa.

All tracks are made within a timespan of 4 hours. I always set up a few musical laws before i begin. Basically when you have this set it will make things easier cause you can't go wrong, it's just a matter of inspiration. IMO, if someone needs more than 2 hours to lay out the musical base of a track he's doing something wrong. Music is a language, it has grammar and vocabulary, so good music is poetry, it has to be made fast; in the flow. the only way to do that is to jam it while keeping a certain set of laws in the back of your head. I jam on my midicontroller for 30 minutes, record everything, sequence it, tune it, construct a composition and my track is finished, just have to add some spices. Although i am never satisfied with the outcome, it feels more like an ongoing journey, it's never good enough. I find my music not challenging enough to decode and there is only a personal input, i can not communicate with other inputs, which is an annoying limitation imo.

What interest me the most is live music and how it should be constructed technically so the music can be a flow of inspiration in a jamsession instead of predetermined sequences, If you can't share your enthusiasm with other people there is no flying fuck to it. And the experience of being completely live is my ultimate XTC, I can fuck it all up, right in front of a huge crowd, and that happened several times. I once fucked up in front of 400.000 viewers on TV, had to change a patch with 150 inputs 8 times within a minute, started of wrong and i linked the intercom of the director on air instead of their return mix. and I once completely fucked up in a theater and blew up 2 speakers and a sub (probably a few ears too). But i also did pure art, pure live, without a single mistake.

oh and one more thing, i'm talking about goa in general, there are musical gems in goa too, like Khetzal-corolle , that stand out completely with head & shoulders between the horde. But if you look at the complete spectrum of goatrance i tend to find it musically simplistic, melodic though, but not musical. Not better or worse than full-on, it's roundabout the same level. But like i said, a good formula is enough to catch interest, all music is great music, the expression of creativity is all that counts. Just don't exalt it to a godlike level, that's a pop consumer attitude. I like the complete spectrum of music and i want to master this spectrum, i'd do any kind of musical style if i had to opportunity so i can expand my horizon. It's not about success and money but art, science and spirituality.

I am pleasantly surprised... but it doesn't even come close to IFO and/or Astral IMO. This is what I said earlier: making a good melody might be fairly easy but making a whole track that sounds interesting is a whole different ballgame. For example Varuna starts GREAT and then it goes to shit around 2:30, it becomes incredibly cheezy (reminded me in many ways of Lani's stuff).

Don't mean to diss you or anything, your stuff still is better than 80% of psytrance that's being released these days (and by far superior to my own creations), it's just not 10/10 material IMHO.

I am pleasantly surprised... but it doesn't even come close to IFO and/or Astral IMO. This is what I said earlier: making a good melody might be fairly easy but making a whole track that sounds interesting is a whole different ballgame. For example Varuna starts GREAT and then it goes to shit around 2:30, it becomes incredibly cheezy (reminded me in many ways of Lani's stuff).

Don't mean to diss you or anything, your stuff still is better than 80% of psytrance that's being released these days (and by far superior to my own creations), it's just not 10/10 material IMHO.

yes, Lemmi, you are right. But it has a simular set of musical rules as IFO. They just had better inspiration. To be honest, I don't really like any of my tracks.

Looking through the "Top 10 albums" thread and what not, it reminded me of how often I see people putting Pleiadians' "IFO" at or near the top of various Best Of and Favorite lists. Somehow I don't get this. I only heard it first sometime earlier this year, but I think I have a good idea of the album now (it always takes me a few listens through an album to get the "feel" of the album, and know what it's about), and I find it sort of forgettable in a way. I don't think it's a bad album at all, I think it's good and I enjoy listening to it, but there's nothing about it that really stands out. I can listen to the whole album and feel like every song was more or less the same. In contrast, other artists have songs that really stand out to me. There's nothing by Pleiadians I've heard that I would remember a melody or anything from. For instance, every time I listen to it, I am more and more enthralled by Chi-A.D.'s "Virtual Spirit", and it is quickly shooting to the top of my "Favorite Albums of All Time of Any Genre" list. Astral Projection has many very recognizable and memorable melodies, as does Hallucinogen, Transwave, and others.

I stick "IFO" on my iPod to listen to at work every now and then, but I never have that "I want to listen to this album specifically" feeling about it. It would be good party music, but there's nothing about it to make me sit up and take notice, or make me reach for it at home.

well i think that's the best album from pleiadians. arpegiated melodic tripy goa - that's what i call that album. it's very different, different sound, diferent structure. Well it's in my top 10 too :)

my post in "etnica - plastic" topic

from this EP my favorite track is plastic, i like the way they arpegiate tongue.gif

it's the same style as: pleiadians - maia. reminds me of a start of a very high trampline...and than both albums make ya fly

yes, Lemmi, you are right. But it has a simular set of musical rules as IFO. They just had better inspiration. To be honest, I don't really like any of my tracks.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum ;) It's the same with Filteria: he follows the IFO formula too but you'll never hear anyone say that his albums are classics (which doesn't mean they're BAD, just that they're not classics...). Like I said in an earlier post, this is the kind of thing that separates the good from the best :)

Quod Erat Demonstrandum ;) It's the same with Filteria: he follows the IFO formula too but you'll never hear anyone say that his albums are classics (which doesn't mean they're BAD, just that they're not classics...). Like I said in an earlier post, this is the kind of thing that separates the good from the best :)

Just for the record I consider Sky Input a classic. And to be honest I never thought Filteria as a Pleiadians clone.

But I know what you mean and I agree :)

I've just ordered IFO from Lu Bu for an amount of money that could have kept an Ethiopian family in food and clean water for some time. It had better be good.

Check out one of the tracks here

I've just ordered IFO from Lu Bu for an amount of money that could have kept an Ethiopian family in food and clean water for some time. It had better be good.

Why don't you download and listen before you buy an album?

Check out one of the tracks here

Thanks. Actually I already listened to a few tracks on YouTube earlier today, but for some reason that one didn't appear in my search.

It sounds good, albeit suffers greatly from the shitty sound quality.

Just for the record I consider Sky Input a classic. And to be honest I never thought Filteria as a Pleiadians clone.

But I know what you mean and I agree :)

well he is... Filteria himself admits to be largely inspired by IFO :)

Thanks. Actually I already listened to a few tracks on YouTube earlier today, but for some reason that one didn't appear in my search.

It sounds good, albeit suffers greatly from the shitty sound quality.

dude it's youtube, it's compressed like shit, what do you expect? lol But it's a good way of having a general idea of a track

well he is... Filteria himself admits to be largely inspired by IFO :)

That's exactly what I mean :)

Of course Jannis is influenced by Pleiadians, but I found his music having huge differences with Pleiadians sound.

It's like MFG influenced by AP, I always considered them as twin projects, but their sound is totally unique.