The "Not as much love for IFO as everyone else" thread

Veracohr

And since Otter pissed be me off here's the difference:

Here is a melody I created by chance. I was aiming for a melody, I add some notes in chance, then put some extra notes in the right quantize and here it is http://www.zshare.net/audio/1667138972cbd2cb/

And here is a random ''melody'' by adding notes in a random way http://www.zshare.net/audio/16671498e29ace3b/

If you can't hear the difference then you're really deaf.

Sorry for off topic.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm done with this topic.

You should be. Aren't everybody "done" when they ain't got nothing more to say?

BTW, Ormion, that was quite a good point with the whole melody/random structure comparison, I never looked at it, or thought about it in that way.

And since Otter pissed be me off here's the difference:

Here is a melody I created by chance. I was aiming for a melody, I add some notes in chance, then put some extra notes in the right quantize and here it is http://www.zshare.net/audio/1667138972cbd2cb/

And here is a random ''melody'' by adding notes in a random way http://www.zshare.net/audio/16671498e29ace3b/

If you can't hear the difference then you're really deaf.

Sorry for off topic.

The difference is that if you take a scale, for example the classical jewish one that astral projection and mfg used all the time and stick to that scale but add notes randomly within the scale, and stick to the timing as well it will sound GOOD however you do it. Thats how arabic/oriental scales work. I can make some examples with audio and midi as well if anyone is interested.

The examples you made was not good at all, and they both sound random to me, because they are out of scale! The difference is if someone just add notes totally random, or radomly clicks notes with the mouse within a known scale. If it is within a scale it WILL sound harmonic!

And for anyone who has made goa thats just so obvious.

You are aware it's totally possible for randomity and chaos to sound melodic to human ears? If it's created by chance then it's random no matter what the result is. God, this is basic english.

Well yeah the people who listens to happy hardcore or the new dark psy should be proof of that little theory of yours :lol:

:drama:

Man this topic is like a train about to crash.

The difference is that if you take a scale, for example the classical jewish one that astral projection and mfg used all the time and stick to that scale but add notes randomly within the scale, and stick to the timing as well it will sound GOOD however you do it. Thats how arabic/oriental scales work. I can make some examples with audio and midi as well if anyone is interested.

The examples you made was not good at all, and they both sound random to me, because they are out of scale! The difference is if someone just add notes totally random, or radomly clicks notes with the mouse within a known scale. If it is within a scale it WILL sound harmonic!

And for anyone who has made goa thats just so obvious.

The second ''melody'' was random random clicks notes. There wasn't any scale, just closed my eyes and clicked. The first one is clear melody for me (crappy of course bit still melody).

You are aware it's totally possible for randomity and chaos to sound melodic to human ears? If it's created by chance then it's random no matter what the result is. God, this is basic english.

I don't disagree at all, I use the word melody in its real meaning. The noise of the streets sounds melodic to some ppl so it's melody for them, but the word ''melody'' doesn't fit quite well , does it?

When you were messing with the sequencer and Goa-ish melodies popped up you were aiming for a melody, right?

Saying "this is bad", "overrated" etc. is pretty pointless. Especially when it comes to old releases which don't affect the current scene in any relevant way. Only circumstances where such style of writing or behaviour is any good is when you strive to change something. Will people who like IFO suddenly stop liking it after you express your negative opinion about it? No?

What is the point of bashing something that is there and will stay there? IFO is what it is, won't be any different and won't be erased off the existance no matter how much you say it sucks.

These sort of threads are the most idiotic of em all. It's obvious a thread like this leads to two sides, the ones who like and the ones who don't like, having friction.

I didn't say it was bad, I don't have a negative opinion of it, and I don't want to change anyone's opinion (and if I did, I know this wouldn't be the way to do it). Isn't the point of this forum to talk about psy? I was bored and thinking about the album.

I didn't say it was bad, I don't have a negative opinion of it, and I don't want to change anyone's opinion (and if I did, I know this wouldn't be the way to do it). Isn't the point of this forum to talk about psy? I was bored and thinking about the album.

It was more of a general remark to make people understand there's no need to battle whether IFO is good or not.

Only thing directed at you was "These sort of threads are the most idiotic of em all. It's obvious a thread like this leads to two sides, the ones who like and the ones who don't like, having friction."

See? This thread hasn't made anyone change their taste in the direction of yours. If that's not what you're after then what's the purpose for such topic to begin with? It seems to be ~IFO's not as good as generally considered~.

"there's nothing about it that really stands out"

"in contrast, other artists have songs that really stand out to me. There's nothing by Pleiadians I've heard that I would remember a melody or anything from."

Now there's nothing wrong with such opinions per se. But in the end, throwing such bold negative oriented statements on an album hailed as a classic and loved by many people inevitably leads to people fighting over nutn.

It's clear this topic would cause friction and it did. Hence idiotic.

This and all other oldschool... The outdated mastering/production (caused by outdated equipment i guess? )allways annoys me when im sober. After listening to all the newly released electronic music, i just can't make myself listen to it longer than a couple of tracks... Think that's why i don't join your pleidians,hallucinogen,ect gang :/

When im high on something it's a different story though :P

It was more of a general remark to make people understand there's no need to battle whether IFO is good or not.

Only thing directed at you was "These sort of threads are the most idiotic of em all. It's obvious a thread like this leads to two sides, the ones who like and the ones who don't like, having friction."

See? This thread hasn't made anyone change their taste in the direction of yours. If that's not what you're after then what's the purpose for such topic to begin with? It seems to be ~IFO's not as good as generally considered~.

"there's nothing about it that really stands out"

"in contrast, other artists have songs that really stand out to me. There's nothing by Pleiadians I've heard that I would remember a melody or anything from."

Now there's nothing wrong with such opinions per se. But in the end, throwing such bold negative oriented statements on an album hailed as a classic and loved by many people inevitably leads to people fighting over nutn.

It's clear this topic would cause friction and it did. Hence idiotic.

You're the only one that seemed to think it was negative. Everyone else took it the way I intended it, as a discussion of the variance of opinion.

You're the only one that seemed to think it was negative. Everyone else took it the way I intended it, as a discussion of the variance of opinion.

Might be the only one, or just was the one saying it out loud.

ifo+train to chroma city :posford:

the melodies like in all etnica songs just come as they go, no fancy structures, never. on this point, train to chroma city is a bit better.

but it worxxxx :posford: mad party music made with only that intent

vimana, floating universe, elektra, asterope!!! yaaa goaaaa :posford: :posford: :posford:

Might be the only one, or just was the one saying it out loud.

Man im hypnotized by your avatar :lol: funny mdma tics.

It has been my favorite album for a long time, now I find it rather medicore. There's way better music out there like the firt 2 etnica albums, once in a while I can enjoy it though.

I agree 100%... Today I still listen to it, once in a while, and I still like it alot (Alcyone I still adore) but sometimes it became a little too maximal for listening music for me (I blame my age), I prefer Alien protein, Juggeling Alchemists, Ra,... just because of the less maximal and more sensitive melodies :)

actually I'm VERY interested... if what you say is true, that would basically mean that all my childhood heroes I cherished so much were just making random melodies??? I'd cry if that was true but I'd like to see an actual example so I can judge by myself.

Other than that, IMO you can clearly see the difference between real melodies and random melodies by comparing Pleiadians to Filteria... they basically use the same formula but the end result is VERY different. That's what separates the good from the best IMO :)

actually I'm VERY interested... if what you say is true, that would basically mean that all my childhood heroes I cherished so much were just making random melodies??? I'd cry if that was true but I'd like to see an actual example so I can judge by myself.

Other than that, IMO you can clearly see the difference between real melodies and random melodies by comparing Pleiadians to Filteria... they basically use the same formula but the end result is VERY different. That's what separates the good from the best IMO :)

No, Mahadeva is not random, I can assure you. You can tell because the melodies are focused on the root note, which is played more often than others. Also, they often climb up and down the scale. Not very random.

And songs like Liquid Sun are not random by any stretch.

Pleiadians are a bit closer to random but that's a good thing. Embracing the chaos while still shaping it. Lovely.

On top of that, I hate talking about drugs, but I admit that if you hear it under psychedelics, you will rediscover it a million times under a million suns and your life will change forever.

same can be said about Madonna :lol:

No, Mahadeva is not random, I can assure you. You can tell because the melodies are focused on the root note, which is played more often than others. Also, they often climb up and down the scale. Not very random.

Pleiadians are a bit closer to random but that's a good thing. Embracing the chaos while still shaping it. Lovely.

well I'd still like to hear an actual example so I can tell by myself ;)

It was released when Goa was really expanding to its best, it's to be seen in its context.

Yea to me it has to be seen in its context. Its not something I really listen to anymore but if you compare it to stuff that was released before it, it was completely out there and mind blowing.

Technically, the production blows by modern standards but I think you also have to keep in mind the production was aimed at a huge system being played off vinyl. I think you should also keep in mind that a 166mhz pentium was a fast computer at the time, it had to be quite a challenge just to record all those parts without bringing the computer to its knees.

I agree 100%... Today I still listen to it, once in a while, and I still like it alot (Alcyone I still adore) but sometimes it became a little too maximal for listening music for me (I blame my age), I prefer Alien protein, Juggeling Alchemists, Ra,... just because of the less maximal and more sensitive melodies :)

You're getting old my friend! :D:P

Yea to me it has to be seen in its context. Its not something I really listen to anymore but if you compare it to stuff that was released before it, it was completely out there and mind blowing.

Technically, the production blows by modern standards but I think you also have to keep in mind the production was aimed at a huge system being played off vinyl. I think you should also keep in mind that a 166mhz pentium was a fast computer at the time, it had to be quite a challenge just to record all those parts without bringing the computer to its knees.

+anybody who yaps about the mastering is some sunday fool

Sorry no offence.. but who the f*** said that Astral Projections music is random? :P This thread is drifting away and getting more and more offtopic and confused.

Cant someone make a new thread instad where we praise some albums instead? :) And just so people dont get me wrong, i have lots of love for their Etnica project.. (atleast some tracks) its just the Pleiadians one that i dont find as interesting. And as Mars stated it indeed has to viewed in its context, when it was released etc what relationship or experiences one might have had with the music when it was brand new.

Since i just heard some of their tracks on compilations back then and never really got into them since my first perception made a lasting impression so to say. I couldnt help to feel like as if their tracks sounded inferior to other stuff i happend to dig more at the time.

Actually its more in recent years that i have learned to appreciate the Etnica stuff more, after hearing Filteria live here in Sweden where he played some Etnica/Pleiadians remixes wich worked wonders in the forest, i started to do some "research" :P to see what all the fuzz was about..

And my conclusion is that this type of music is straigth for the parties Posted Image

at least for me its to stressy to listen to at home.

Thats just my little anecdote. Posted Image

Cheers

Sorry no offence.. but who the f*** said that Astral Projections music is random? :P This thread is drifting away and getting more and more offtopic and confused.

Cant someone make a new thread instad where we praise some albums instead? :) And just so people dont get me wrong, i have lots of love for their Etnica project.. (atleast some tracks) its just the Pleiadians one that i dont find as interesting. And as Mars stated it indeed has to viewed in its context, when it was released etc what relationship or experiences one might have had with the music when it was brand new.

Since i just heard some of their tracks on compilations back then and never really got into them since my first perception made a lasting impression so to say. I couldnt help to feel like as if their tracks sounded inferior to other stuff i happend to dig more at the time.

Actually its more in recent years that i have learned to appreciate the Etnica stuff more, after hearing Filteria live here in Sweden where he played some Etnica/Pleiadians remixes wich worked wonders in the forest, i started to do some "research" :P to see what all the fuzz was about..

And my conclusion is that this type of music is straigth for the parties Posted Image

at least for me its to stressy to listen to at home.

Thats just my little anecdote. Posted Image

Cheers

You said random melodies within a certain scale could sound good. And Lemmiwinks feared that AP had used this method. I tried to convince them that they haven't.

No offense or anything.

You said random melodies within a certain scale could sound good. And Lemmiwinks feared that AP had used this method. I tried to convince them that they haven't.

No offense or anything.

Okey fair square :)