Site questions / Requests

NEMO.BOFH

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, again. I feel sorta dumb for asking you this, but can any of you PM me again with a reset PW? This time I really forgot my new PW, and I need it to get connected in a new toy I got.

Sorry for my short memory.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question: when I log in to Psynews from my iPhone I see exactly the same interface I see on my Mac - and this is a problem, for I can't read without doing some magnifying the text more than 100%.. Once, but only once, Psynews site was displayed in more friendly interface for a smartphone. I tried to click on the "Psynews for iPhone" option, but it didn't work.

My question is: does Psynews have an interface to be viewed properly in smartphones? If yes, is this option working ok?

Thanks in advance.

God forbid I am seen with an Android on my hands, to my peers it would mean: 1) I got poorer than I already am or, 2) I have lost the sense of good things or, 3) I am a loser or 4) I don't have any idea of what technology is. None of which matches my profile.

Thanks for the help, Insejn, but if this is a problem here with my iPhone, instead of Psynews, I prefer to stay with my iPhone and forget what Psynews is. ;)

Psynews works fine on my iPod. Procyon: by default it should give you the stripped-down mobile version of the site on your iPhone. The only reason I can think that it doesn't is that you pressed the "Full Version" button by mistake. If you scroll down to the bottom left hand of the front page, there should be a link that says "Use Mobile Version". Press that.

God forbid I am seen with an Android on my hands, to my peers it would mean: 1) I got poorer than I already am or, 2) I have lost the sense of good things or, 3) I am a loser or 4) I don't have any idea of what technology is.

Your peers are very different from mine.

Ok, let's not get into an iOS vs Android imbroglio. I already make part of a forum almost dedicated solely to that - you learn a lot of new dirty words every 30 seconds. That's enough for me.

When I open www.psynews.org on my iPhone, the same screen I see on my Mac opens. I went down to the bottom of the HP and there's this option:

Get the free IP. Board App for iPhone now!, when I press it a message saying that it was not possible to do the task appears. That is why I asked if this option is OK, from your end-front point of view as admins. Thanks!

Weird. What version of iOS are you using? Could you provide a screenshot?

I don't expect answering either of those will help us resolve the issue, but they can't do any harm.

Wait, what theme are you using on your Mac? I've been using the Limed Out theme, but I've just tried switching to the default IP.Board on my iPod and now the site refuses to load.

If you're not using Limed Out, try switching to that on your Mac then reloading Psynews on your iPhone. Then see if the "Use Mobile Version" button is there. If that works then you can switch back to the default theme on your Mac and your iPhone should then continue to give you the mobile version.

According to what other members describe as the colors of the Limed Out theme, I am not using it, I don't know why. The colors I see are different hues of blue, not the dark grey I read in the comments. Is there some place inside Psynews where I can change themes? I am not aware of that. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. I played a little with Psynews on my iPhone, and I discovered that if your bookmarked hp is www.psynews.org, then the small font screen opens. But, if you bookmark www.psynews.org/forums then a trimmed page, suited for the size of the screen opens, with fonts easy to read.

Ok, I will try it later. Here's the screenshot: Posted Image Thanks.

Although your image is tiny, that looks like the mobile version to me. On my iPod the IP.Board style looks like this:

Posted Image

whereas the mobile version looks like this:

Posted Image

If you're seeing the same thing on your iPhone and your Mac, and it looks like the second image, then you've been using the mobile version on your Mac.

Well, after all I have been using the Mobile version all along. But I thought it couldn't be the Mobile, for most sites that have a Mobile option, the interface and the fonts are re-sized to fit the small screen of smartphones. As it's hard to read Psynews in my iPhone, I thought I was using the full version.

Well, thanks for your help.

The way the mobile version works is a bit weird. The front page has small fonts and can be resized, and if you open a new page within the same tab it doesn't treat it as a new page, it just replaces everything on the existing page; it won't change which area of the page is visible, so if e.g. you scroll down to the 1990-1994 subforum link and click on that, you'll have to scroll back up again to see the posts at the top of the subforum. On the other hand, if you open any link in a new tab (or "page" as Safari calls it) then the new tab will be optimised for mobile use (it has sensibly-sized fonts and can't be resized). I suggest whenever you go to Psynews on your mobile device, the first thing you should do is to hold down the "Psynews.org" link at the top of the page, then choose the "Open in New Page" option. Close the original tab, and then use the proper mobile version of the site in the new tab.

I have no idea why it works this way, but I don't expect there's anything the admins can do about it.

Thanks for the tips. I played a little with Psynews on my iPhone, and I discovered that if your bookmarked hp is www.psynews.org, then the small font screen opens. But, if you bookmark www.psynews.org/forums then a trimmed page, suited for the size of the screen opens, with fonts easy to read.

• 3 weeks later...