Site questions / Requests

NEMO.BOFH

It's a real shame about Off-topic. It's family and friends in one. So much history, and I've learned a great deal from people there over the years, even if it hasn't always been pleasant. Still, I understand that there's really no underestimating the lengths to which some will go to destroy good things. I'm glad the site in general has survived, and I hope at some point we can have the full community back where it belongs. Cheers to everybody. :)

I don't want to point fingers, but when the offtopic was closed weren't some members banned because they tried to spam in the general section? I remember mars closed one topic and said the member was banned, I also think another member was banned by nemo for opening a spam thread in general (maybe sunwolf?). Might be that one of these guys got mad for getting banned and waited for the offtopic to get opened so they could attack again, thus making the onwers of the site believe that the off-topic was the reason why psynews was attacked. As far as I know we didn't have any fights in offtopic recently, nobody stepped on anyone's toes..

I partly understand Fabien's decision. I mean if I had a record label that was about to put up a release and the website gets hacked, I'd do anything to stop further attacks. But what if these attacks continue? Will you close down psynews aswell? I don't really see how closing a part of your own site can help stop further attacks, especially when there is no evidence that the offtopic was the actual cause. And even if it was, you can't blame the psynews regulars for it. Nobody pointed fingers at someone and said "hack this website!".

Rather than close the section permanently I think you should just close it temporary without any date on when its coming up again. You could close it untill you find the person responsible for the attacks. Because right now if he attacks again and brings psynews and suntrip down again who will you blame? The general section of psynews? The mods? I'm just saying you should try to find the person responsible before making such harsh decisions like closing down a section of a forum permanently. But it's your call and I respect that, whatever your decision might be.

I still can't figure out who are the fucker/s that hacked Psynews. I'm trying to remember banned members that have the knowledge to hack a site and I can't think of anyone.

My suspicion is the Rezwalker group. There was the only true hate which I remember here. It gets me even more pissed that thx to fuckers like them the whole offtopic is gone. But I may be wrong.

@RTP & Needle Ninja:

This is bullshit, it may be a visitor login hacked from this visitors' computer, but in no way will it help providing ROOT access to the shell of the machine. This is completely another level.

@ RAH, Late, FTP, buzzman and Malevol3nt:

1) I didn't especially want the OffTopic closed. Please reread my statement 2 pages above.

2) I don't agree (completely), closing the OffTopic is not what the hackers wanted. They just wanted a sarcastic revenge for some deserved frustration. It's a compulsive reaction from a probable young nerd or psychotic person who believes he's above everyone as he has the knowledge put run down a Debian server. Or maybe he wanted this to happen, in the sense that he knew that yet another hack attempt would get me very pissed off. So now everyone is punished because of them. It's like at school right? Like your teacher does when one pupil triggers the fire alarm. Aren't we more adults than that? Ok, bring the guy to me, I'll break his both legs, and then I'll agree to reopen the OffTopic. Deal? Else I've been running this place since 2000, I have enough experience to know that the "he knew that we knew that he knew that they knew that it would happend like that if he did that" is just RETHORIC. I deal with rethoric everyday at work and it NEVER brings anything good. I prefer REALISM!

3) I have no evidence of anything, I agree. BUT I know that when troubles happened, it was in the OffTopic, and when bans happened, it was in the OffTopic. So would there be a grudge, it would come from there. More to come in 4)

4) I have read your comments that it's going to destroy a part of the community, etc, and I AGREE! But you are really short of hindsight imo. You all present the OffTopic like a place full of responsible people who were discussing -sometimes- about some delicate subjects, and that it triggered -rarely- some tensions, but all the rest was just Walt Disney stories. Come on, back to reality! There have always been in the OffTopic, people criticizing everything, everytime, just for the sake of criticizing, and blaming everyone afterwards that their freedom of speech is not respected, etc. There have been people hiding behind their keyboards and looking for the slightest opportunity to over-analyze sentences and issue comments of suspicion degenrating into huge fights. There have been people that just posted a simple smiley or an useless comment in every thread. Ah it's not that easy, across the internet, you no longer see the same people as at work or at school, who have been more or less "formatted" the same as you, who are of the same age, with the approx the same social status, etc. It's much closer to a jungle of words. And many people are not wise enough to get some hindsight before posting some angry comment. Not even psynews moderators, not even me. But some keep on pushing till they are "right", till they have the last word, no matter what. And that's what happened here.

5) I am sorry, but as someone who did not paticipate in the OffTopic, I saw it a a place with 80% of unfirendliness and unuseful content. And its unsure atmosphere didn't attract me a single bit. Should I put the OffTopic back online, it would not have given anyone any lesson, it would continue just as before. Even with just the cultural/tech zones, they would be polluted immediately. I could bet 10000EUR on it right away!

It won't change unless we do like with every forum place:

a ) put up lots of superspecialized subforums (however psynews.org must stay mainly about music imo)

or

b ) assign galore very motivated moderators (and it came always so personal and tiresome here that it's always been a challenge to find mods active more than 6 months)

6) Beyond all that, my aim is to be freed from hack attempts -- That is be freed from people potentially having a grudge against psynews -- That is reducing the gap between people -- That is focusssing on the commont attraction point -- That is restrict to psychedelic trance.

@Maelvol3nt only:

If it continues, I'll make sure Suntrip gets through the problems in priority.

Well I guess this might have been stopped if there were active mods willing to do some work in the offtopic. The only topics that ever got closed lately were by Nemo and Mars, even tho theres about 8 or so mods. I don't know if these mods are unavailable or just unwilling to moderate. But like you said mars, you warned about the spam in offtopic a long while back but the spam kept comming back. The tensions got bigger and bigger, and there were no mods to stop them from growing. I gave my word to Nemo that if psynews needed new mods I'm willing to participate. However since the offtopic closed I guess it's too late for that. Anywho, good luck with that suntrip release! :)

Come on Mars, it was not that bad. Let's say that offtopic was not in best shape in last two years(pretty much the same problem as general, everything was discussed 1000 times), but there is noone who can be blamed for the quality of the users. But sorry, it really sounds like an excuse for closing it. Even if there was st. week without st. interesting to read, this is still one of the best community worldwide and killing it is just wrong decision.

3) I have no evidence of anything, I agree. BUT I know that when troubles happened, it was in the OffTopic, and when bans happened, it was in the OffTopic. So would there be a grudge, it would come from there. More to come in 4)

there were more tension in music reviews few times than in off topic (eg distant system thread). in off topic there were some argues, but they were more or less some meaningless bullshitting.

btw, at the beginning i thought it would be easy for you guys to figure out who did this. i mean, there are not so many people who have enough knowledge to do this :unsure: or are there!? :ph34r:

Not in the best shape for the last 5 years, you mean!

You're stating it's an excuse from me. I'm stating it's not an excuse. And an excuse for what anyway? For disliking garbage and fights? Naah if I really wanted to close it I'd have done it exactly 3 years ago (search back then what happened). If you knew me you'd know I hate politic bullshit. I believe what I said above.

Means justify goals, as in politics, better would be not discussing politics at all, right? Politics is nasty thing in real world where 1000s people die every day and it's very naive to assume that it should be nicer at some music forum. So you think it's not appropriate to discuss current economy & political issues? So world is going to pretty deep shit but it's not appropriate to discuss it here cause is not PLUR? Which forum around meets your requirements? Philosophy forum? Or more hippie oriented?

Means justify goals, as in politics, better would be not discussing politics at all, right? Politics is nasty thing in real world where 1000s people die every day and it's very naive to assume that it should be nicer at some music forum. So you think it's not appropriate to discuss current economy & political issues? So world is going to pretty deep shit but it's not appropriate to discuss it here cause is not PLUR? Which forum around meets your requirements? Philosophy forum? Or more hippie oriented?

FTP, you didn't understand mars statement I think.

Discussions (politics and maaaaaaaany other subjects) in off-topic gave birth to fights. Even perhaps some threats for the forum (I'm not sure, let's put this aside).

Psynews hacked few times.

As soon as off-topic was relaunched, attacks again.

So off-topic and attacks might be linked. That's logical to assume.

The attacks also threaten other sites which are important to him. And also other sites which do not belong to him (I think about Psysurfeur).

mars is not payed to stay in front of Psynews 24/24, 7/7.

Conclusion: you close off-topic.

And yes, it's not really dealing with the source. But it's understandable. I wouldn't want to bother twice a week to reconfigure things for a whole day. At some point you start to think "why the hell am I bothering with sh*t anyway?".

It's not cool, but that's life.

Problem started with the moderation, problem ends with the moderation. It is an end of story. Hypocrisy in its best.

You're being a perfect example of what I depicted, FTP. Thanks for standing by me :)

Now, look: the OffTopic is closed, you won't change anything about it, no matter what you say. Is that clear enough?

If you like Psytrance, FTP, you can stay. If you don't, or if you can't just open your eyes, please leave. Simple.