Site questions / Requests

NEMO.BOFH

I would like to request to change my user name if possible? ^_^  To reflect my current artist project/domain name, this old user name used to be my registered website/domain name a long time ago. 

On 3/27/2020 at 5:41 PM, Diaks said:

I'm having major issues trying to upload/link a forum signature picture. I get the following error message, which makes no sense. Since that size restriction makes it impossible to upload any normally sized forum signature. Is there some kind of size limitation implemented globally on the site, due to spam/forum violations before? I've tried pasting url links to various image sharing hosts where I've uploaded the avatar, and also tried to uploading the image directly to the forum to no avail. 

Error message reads as follows:

"Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

Maximum of 1 image

Images up to 800 x 100 pixels

Maximum of 1 URL

Maximum of 10 lines

Your chosen signature does not meet the guidelines."

I missed this earlier. It's now changed to 800x250, 4 URLS and 15 lines.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Penzoline said:

I missed this earlier. It's now changed to 800x250, 4 URLS and 15 lines.

Thanks :) I can now finally create a new forum avatar, the one I had uploaded or linked to in the 2000's is long gone. I actually think I had it hosted on my old site, so url was dead since long. Either that or the avatars died when you migrated forum servers or updated the forum software? Time to get the creative juices flowing in photoshop!

17 minutes ago, Diaks said:

Thanks :) I can now finally create a new forum avatar, the one I had uploaded or linked to in the 2000's is long gone. I actually think I had it hosted on my old site, so url was dead since long. Either that or the avatars died when you migrated forum servers or updated the forum software? Time to get the creative juices flowing in photoshop!

They died when the board updated.

7 hours ago, Penzoline said:

They died when the board updated.

Makes sense :) btw was the user name I requested available? 

*edit* yes it was! Thanks a lot :D

I'm wondering if this forum software has the option for members to put a custom background on their profiles? It kinda looks like it, there's this default weird/abstract wallpaper behind the profile user photo. Perhaps users personal background pictures are disabled by default?

Would be cool if it was an option, like facebook has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've noticed what seems to be a bug on the forum, some threads I've started will appear as having 0 views, despite having replies in them :) Which makes no sense? My guess is that there is somekind of error with the refresh/update between the server-side of things and the forum users? Maybe something to do with the glitches users have experienced with the forum skins? Just some armchair expert speculations here. :D

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 1:37 AM, AstralSphinx said:

I'm wondering if this forum software has the option for members to put a custom background on their profiles? It kinda looks like it, there's this default weird/abstract wallpaper behind the profile user photo. Perhaps users personal background pictures are disabled by default?

Would be cool if it was an option, like facebook has.

It's a paid plugin it seems
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8653-profile-backgrounds/

On 4/27/2020 at 1:19 PM, AstralSphinx said:

I'm wondering if we could get an expanded  emoji palette? :P

We can add them one by one, not sure there are extra "packaged" palettes...seems so though, I see some on WebFlake.
I'm a bit in the dark here because for some reason I don't manage to log into the forum admin.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:06 PM, AstralSphinx said:

I've noticed what seems to be a bug on the forum, some threads I've started will appear as having 0 views, despite having replies in them :) Which makes no sense? My guess is that there is somekind of error with the refresh/update between the server-side of things and the forum users? Maybe something to do with the glitches users have experienced with the forum skins? Just some armchair expert speculations here. :D

Those forums were updated countless times in the past and some threads were even on 2 different boards before we moved to IPB (2005). Those threads are known (to me) to have some "issues" of the sort - that are fixable though. Also the very database of this board had a major upgrade 1 month ago too. Side effect ?

I'd need to have some example of thread that you noticed is like that, I'd check its age and characteristics and try to fix them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mars said:

It's a paid plugin it seems
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8653-profile-backgrounds/

We can add them one by one, not sure there are extra "packaged" palettes...seems so though, I see some on WebFlake.
I'm a bit in the dark here because for some reason I don't manage to log into the forum admin.

Those forums were updated countless times in the past and some threads were even on 2 different boards before we moved to IPB (2005). Those threads are known (to me) to have some "issues" of the sort - that are fixable though. Also the very database of this board had a major upgrade 1 month ago too. Side effect ?

I'd need to have some example of thread that you noticed is like that, I'd check its age and characteristics and try to fix them.

It's only on recently made threads that I've noticed the glitch so far, pretty much all my recent threads in the general section. Hold on gonna try and get a printscreen of this "ghost in the machine" :D 

So from this we can deduce that a thread made back in february is not affected by the glitch. So I'm not sure yet if my threads are only like this from my POV, or for other users as well. And not sure either if the actual view count gets delayed and will display proper values in some days/weeks/months from now. We should be able to narrow down the culprits atleast :). I'm gonna test now as well with the other forum skins, to see if the issue persists "across the board".

So yeah I tried all the skins, the issue is there on all 3 of em. And I also noticed that it affects one thread of another member as well, as you can see there in the print screen of the Paul McCartney thead. I tried browsing the forum logged out now as well, out of curiousity, and yes it's still there.

So far I see 3 issues:
1. every thread made since May 1st has zero views. The views are a column like any other in the database, but I'm not sure there's any caching on them. This is php, so every call is a different runtime. Anyway I upgraded the server and database on April 28th, 2-3 days before. in turn, what's the latest thread with views ? April 29th. Puzzling... The latest thread you started which has views is this one and that was on April 28th..after my upgrade. Even more puzzling.

2. I cannot log in the admin console anymore. I asked other admins if they have the same issue or not

3. I see some friendly-url related errors in the logs, not sure this is a theme issue or anything related to the above

• Thanks 1

Hello

we had a screwed-up update that went wrong and we needed a bit of luck to get back online ... we were down for a few days ... it is now restored

But I am thinking that the admin CP problem micht not have to do with that ... I can still log into the admin cp (was there just now), let's sort this out via PM

...oh and if anything got lost content-wise through the database scripts we had to execute: I can't restore it myself :P 

cheers RTP

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you everybody. I have heard that we were all very lucky ... normally it wouldn't have gone so well with all these database scripts and a slightly inexperienced user ... at least with our DB...

I can assure you it won't happen again though - we are prepared now :) 

What RTP means is that he fixed the site unintentionally doing something neither the support nor I thought was a wise thing to do. Anyway, that's a happy ending. 

I have a request, while browsing the interview section I noticed that there isn't any interview with Mystica. Seeing that they/or at least one of their original members is still doing retro-sets, could someone pehaps make an interview? :) 

And yeah the issue with the view count of posts is still here on the forum, at least for me. But I think we can all agree that the down-time was worse than this small nuisance of a forum error. :D 

Yes that's normal; the database is now on a virtualized container, all I could do to stay on mysql 5.7, which Invision required before accepting to investigate the issue from 2 weeks ago (and after that they complained the fact it was slow might have to do with our issues...pricks). But it looks like I can switch back to mysql 8.0 now, say the developers (pricks*2).... YEAH, right, when I have 1 hour ahead of me.

• Thanks 1