Who's the Brain behind these groups?

Ormion

Here is an interesting question for anyone who knows.

I'll put a list with Psytrance groups and I want you to inform me who's the brain behind those groups.

As the brain I mean the member who is more essential for the group.

For example in Shpongle we all know is Simon. I don't mean to insult Raja Ram, but AFAIK he only contributes the flute and some other organs.

In MFG I know that Guy Zukrel was/is more active, but I don't know if he has the upper hand.

Here it is:

Astral Projection-I think both of them are equally important.

MFG-Am I right about Guy?

Koxbox-Was Frank E, Ian Ion or Peter Candy?

Pleiadians (old)-afaik Carlo and Andrea were responsible for the melodies.

Etnica (new)-Maurizzio or Max?

X-Dream-Marcus or Jan?

Phreaky-Tricky huh?

Total Eclipse-Serge for sure, right?

Transwave-I always thought it was Dado, but maybe I'm wrong.

BOTFB?

Infected Mushroom-Nowdays Erez of corpse, but I'm sure that in the past Erez was doing all the job too.

Do you know who's the big brain behind those groups? If there's any.

And of course every member is important, but you got my point, right? ;)

I only know one for sure, and that is that Frank E is the brain in KoxBox. Peter Candy really had the same kind of mindset as Frank did, but somehow Ian Ion pushed Peter out of the group. If it was not for Frank, there would be no KoxBox, and not the Sound OF KoxBox. (This is not an opinion, this is cause ive known Frank since 1992) :)

I only know one for sure, and that is that Frank E is the brain in KoxBox. Peter Candy really had the same kind of mindset as Frank did, but somehow Ian Ion pushed Peter out of the group. If it was not for Frank, there would be no KoxBox, and not the Sound OF KoxBox. (This is not an opinion, this is cause ive known Frank since 1992) :)

Cool thanks!

BTW can one of the mods change the title to Who's the mind behind those groups? instead of what's? :D

Oh, and having talked to X-Dream on several occasions, I must say that they are Equally Un/Sane. I could not say who is the musical brain to the group, but I think that they are 50/50 really.

Astral Projection-I think both of them are equally important.

To be honest, from the Dancing Galaxy and Another World sound, not to speak about more recent stuff, it seems like it was Yaniv Haviv the mastermind... But that's just my taste...

As for Koxbox in U-Turn the tracks where Ian joined were the best of the album IMO so it seems that he is quite needed.

And as for Serge well... it seems like he is quite the mastermind, judging from the inlay he did the most work for Delta Aquarids, and this album freaking roxx0r.

But look at Transmissions of JR. All the super stellar tracks were a collaboration with Stephane. And also Feel The Universe and perhaps more. So perhaps Total Eclipse was more than Serge and a true collaboration of masters after all...

To be honest, from the Dancing Galaxy and Another World sound, not to speak about more recent stuff, it seems like it was Yaniv Haviv the mastermind... But that's just my taste...

I think that Yaniv left the group after The Astral Files or maybe before? :unsure:

edit: I got what you mean ;):D

But I don't have listened to anything else by Yaniv besidesd Astral stuff to judge actually.

Cool thread :) i have always wondered this about lots of goa groups in the past..for example Miranda..wich on the real rush CD DJ Lazar was credited as well.

http://www.discogs.com/release/27188

"Credits: Written-By, Producer - Lazar Pejnowich (DJ Lazar)* , Miranda Silvergren"

So that makes me think if perhaps he was the technical wizard behind her and she was the one with the melodic ideas.. or something like that. California Sunshine i know for sure that Dj Miko didnt know shit about music production and it was Har-El who was the mind behind their music.

Im sure this is a common thing, one of the group members might have good ideas but not the technical know-how.

I think that Yaniv left the group after The Astral Files or maybe before? :unsure:

Officially it's after Astral Files if I'm not mistaking but apparently (don't remember from where I read it) he was heavily involved in TiT. But perhaps I'm talking bullcrap...

As for Koxbox in U-Turn the tracks where Ian joined were the best of the album IMO so it seems that he is quite needed.

some people need to learn their history:

http://www.discogs.com/release/932

Ian Ion kind of joined VERY EARLY in the history of KoxBox.... U-Turn? :lol: excuse me for laughing!! (I love that album so do not get me wrong) :)

Ian Ion kind of joined VERY EARLY in the history of KoxBox.... U-Turn? :lol: excuse me for laughing!! (I love that album so do not get me wrong) :)

Oh, I think there was a misunderstanding. I meant that he joined for the creation of the album, not the group. Fortunately enough I think I know some basics in Goa :D

I think that Go-Goa meant the tracks that Ian rejoined.

I mean Koxbox nowadays are Frank E and a young guy, right? Apparenlty in some point Ian left the group too?

Pleiadians (old)-afaik Carlo and Andrea were responsible for the melodies.

Etnica (new)-Maurizzio or Max?

Phreaky-Tricky huh?

Total Eclipse-Serge for sure, right?

Transwave-I always thought it was Dado, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, quite right for Pleiadians, and as for Etnica, Maurizio is more on a melodic side especially in their late period when Carlo and Andrea left already. With Phreaky, you can perfectly hear both Ofer and Dino and Avi, they all had their specific touches in their tracks. Total Eclipse was basically Serge but a lot of work was also done by Stephane Holweck. Transwave had brain of Dado for melodies and brain of Christophe for beats and basslines.

Radiculous topic. It's like asking whom of your parents was the "brain".

It's a creation and even Raja Ram had an enormous part of Shpongle without even touching a synth. If you'd ever create music with another person you'd understand.

sorry for the OT Spam, but could you do this as well for my chillout mix-thread :)

anyways

who's the brain behind Juno Reactor ?

and Genecom ? :)

Offtopic, yeah I can.

As for Genecom, I think its again a 50/50 and Juno Reactor would be one big massive soup. On stage it is very clear who is the driving force though :D

Radiculous topic. It's like asking whom of your parents was the "brain".

It's a creation and even Raja Ram had an enormous part of Shpongle without even touching a synth. If you'd ever create music with another person you'd understand.

Oh, come on, You know what I mean ;)

I used the word ''brain'' cause couldn't find any other word to describe it.

Of course every member is important, but there are always some members that are more responsible for the sound of the group.

I don't want to insult any artist with this topic. And I believe that Raja would understand.

I don't know, but when there's a group that consists of two or so artists then I'd say they are both equally important. If there was only one mind doing the work, why don't they split? I mean, it would be ridiculous not to split ... I wouldn't continue just for friendship and fame, that would not be okay and if there were bands who do that then I'd not honor such behaviour.

Sure there's one mind who might have more creativity, but without the other the group wouldn't exist. So I say all members are equally important. It must be like that. Otherwise split up, gawdamnit!

A good example is Magnetrixx. Stefan is very good with the technical stuff, can produce tracks on his own if needed. Heike is very creative and is not so good with the technics. Who's the brain behind that now? Actually it's both of them, because only when they work together the tracks sound really good!

Should be like that everywhere. Otherwise the artists could (and should) just continue on their own aswell ... or not?