2. Discodelic

3. I lost my brain in Tokyo

4. Music

5. Animal Number Sixxx

6. Expander

7. Compressor

8. Morning drop

9. Eclipsed

Discodelic is CPU’s third studio album and the third release of his label, Nutek Records. CPU’s previous albums were released on 3D Vision and were characterized by their mechanic high-tech sounds suitable for the night time. For a while I believed CPU was going to be Absolum’s successor. Then he started releasing morning trance on several compilations (check the tracks he released on Planet BEN). So I bought the album to see what the shift was all about considering I liked the first Nutek compilation.

I opened the CD case and the art displays what appears to be beautiful women dancing in a club, with a disco ball and everything. That image summarizes the whole album.

Psy Nations: It kicks off pretty nice with a crispy bass, well-crafted loops and shiny sounds. Then the bass and the lead got quite repetitive. One of those songs where nothing really happens; no surprises whatsoever.

Discodelic: Fresh, danceable, and easy to swallow. I like this track. There’s Isratrance, French trance, Scandinavian trance… If there was a Miami/South Beach sound, this would be it. It’s a good song, but a bit too glamorous.

I lost my brain in Tokyo: This is a very interesting piece. Unarguably, it is the heavy, aggressive, in-your-face track, but not in the Black Mamba kind of way. Sammy is giving us something different this time: it has strings, pinching tunes, powerful key changes, and a constant chord that screams ‘pop music’. The break is rather weak compared to the rest of the song. It’s worth checking out because it’s quite different from anything I’ve heard before, but I can’t decide if I like it or not.

Music: My favorite track: it’s got attitude, groove, a funky drop, a melody that shatters and melts, and a guitar. Don’t panic; it has the right amount of guitar to make it another sound and not the main focus of the song. Cons: the beginning is not DJ friendly at all.

Animal: Starts off fine. The thin, futuristic bass left me impressed. Then some atrocious distorted vocals kick in, followed by a melody that unsuccessfully pretends to be uplifting. This song would have probably been an anthem in the summer of 2004. If CPU made an attempt to sell out, THIS is it.

Number Sixx: By now I’m sure the album relies more on melodies than psychedelic elements. The song has groovy moments but nothing special.

Expander: Morning melody madness. This song could have been on a Com.Pact Records compilation. Not bad at all, just not my cup of tea.

Compressor: Another one with subtle guitars and dramatic melodies. Highlights: a psychotic break in which the song gets insanely fast for about a minute before a generic build-up. It’s kind of interesting. Would I like to hear it in a party? No. Would I like to see how other people react to it? No doubt about it. I gotta give it to Sammy: he knows how to use guitars in psytrance (or whatever the genre of this album).

Morning Drop: Reminded me of 12000 Mics’s Ecstasy. Nothing you haven’t heard before, but with a different approach and a little extra production. I thought it was a well achieved exercise. In other words: it’s corny morning trance and I have to admit I liked it.

Eclipse: Summarizes the rest of the album but faster.

I wouldn’t recommend this album unless you don’t have a problem with commercial psytrance intended to be played in Ibiza’s hottest new club. The production is very good but the album makes G.M.S. sound like Para Halu. If you like songs like The Race and Killer Rabbit, don’t go near this album.

this was a huge upset for me. CPU is one of my favorite all time artists. He did have his own distinct sound that made him, HIM. To me, CPU, Nomad and Absolum came from the same family. Psychedelic peas in a pod. All of them having their own ways to stick out. having CPU go this way with the music really hurt. why fluff it out when your psychedelic magic is so strong? ;( I still bought this album after listening to the sample because the dedication I have to the guy and what he has done for me in the past. Also being one of the first psy artists I ever stumbled upon, his first 2 albums hold their place in my memory.

this was a huge upset for me. CPU is one of my favorite all time artists. He did have his own distinct sound that made him, HIM. To me, CPU, Nomad and Absolum came from the same family. Psychedelic peas in a pod. All of them having their own ways to stick out. having CPU go this way with the music really hurt. why fluff it out when your psychedelic magic is so strong? ;( I still bought this album after listening to the sample because the dedication I have to the guy and what he has done for me in the past. Also being one of the first psy artists I ever stumbled upon, his first 2 albums hold their place in my memory.

Wait until you hear his latest... *searches for the vomit icon*

Mdk

• 6 years later...

LxtFvSJ.jpg

Artist: CPU

Title: Discodelic

Label: Nutek Records

Date: December, 2006

1. Psy nations
2. Discodelic
3. I lost my brain in Tokyo
4. Music
5. Animal Number Sixxx
6. Expander
7. Compressor
8. Morning drop
9. Eclipsed

"Music is the universal language of mankind."

N3zZhak.gif

So what the f*ck are you speaking? I think Samy has become the Galactus of psytrance. Dude...what happened to you? Drugs run out? Your first two albums were great, but now you have your own label and this is the tripe you throw out there? I suggest you find whatever your inspirational "drug" of choice is and spend a fortnight getting reacquainted. Cause this was pure commercial cheese that went sour years ago. Alas it seems my advice would go unheeded because you followed this bowel movement up with a bad case of diarrhea otherwise known as Eat It.

Could've called it suck it or simply f*ck it.

So I'm guessing you've thrown in the towel. Where did the hi-tech madness and acidic mayhem go? The title track could almost be Detroit Techno. Galloping bass lines, key changes, and stops and starts make this unlistenable. And holy sh*t what the f*ck is up with the singing? Where's the passion, the power? This is a timid shadow of your former self that Central Processing Unit CPU would give a wedgie.

Hope the money was worth it.

No sir. Uh-uh...I'm not linking to it.