FLAC/ZIP vs WAV/RAR

Basilisk

Lossless format wars!  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your lossless format of choice?

• FLAC/ZIP
    • WAV/RAR
    • WAV/ZIP
    • APE/ZIP
    • Wavpack/ZIP
    • Something else! (Please specify.)

When compressing WAV files, RAR does a much better job than ZIP. With FLAC, I don't think there is much of a difference. It is sort of like compressing JPG files; they're already compressed so the space savings are negligible.

Padmapani identifies what I feel is the main issue with RAR: it seldom enjoys native OS support, particularly on Apple computers.

That is why I invested in buying WINRAR. And also, there is linux rar which you can get working for OSX as well. And yeah, ive been using RAR for many years, and have not seen any particular bugs, ive seen far more with ZIP files to be honest... :D But hey, Whatever you want to use, use it, I could not care less :)

i a i a oo

and a waf waf here and a knurf knurf there

old mac donald had a farm

since I have not told you in a while what an ass you are, I will do so right here right now :) You are such an ass.

FLAC/ZIP

When I listen to music on my computer, I play compressed WAVs, that is, FLACs.

I'll just skip the whole what is better and so forth discussion, as I cannot hear an eventual difference in sound quality, if there is one at all, with a healthy pair of ears.

Perhaps not, I haven't dug deeper into that. But what you asked was what the difference was, and well, that is the difference. The data is being compressed in two different ways.

It thus makes no difference to sound quality and compression ratio, not at least considerable efficiency, imo.

Btw, for those of you not aware of the demo scene, here's something you should watch:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=10999

Click on Download on the right, and double click the 64kbyte executable in the archive. No, it's not a virus, it's something quite extraordinary, just watch what happens. :)

im deeply rooted in the demo scene, this one is a very good one imo :) The thing is, that these Demo musicians should get their music released, sometimes the tracks of the demos are better than any electronica out there :)

im deeply rooted in the demo scene, this one is a very good one imo :) The thing is, that these Demo musicians should get their music released, sometimes the tracks of the demos are better than any electronica out there :)

indeed :D

well not any electronica out there, that's exagerrated, but still :)

• 1 month later...

If you have 2 lossless formats, isn't the only major difference between them the size? I mean each track takes up >50 MB so I'd say anything that can reduce the size would be best. There are plugins available for any format now. Ergo, APE/RAR.