drugs and music making

So i was wondering what the rest of you think of making music under the influence of different chemicals. I personally dont have much experience with that except with weed. when im stoned, making music is easier and i get better ideas, but i have to correct everything when sober later(equalizing and stuff) because everything sounds better than it actually is. I'm thinking of dropping acid or doing a small amount of cocaine with weed(havent decided yet) this weekend and we'll see what happens.

so what about yee?

So i was wondering what the rest of you think of making music under the influence of different chemicals. I personally dont have much experience with that except with weed. when im stoned, making music is easier and i get better ideas, but i have to correct everything when sober later(equalizing and stuff) because everything sounds better than it actually is. I'm thinking of dropping acid or doing a small amount of cocaine with weed(havent decided yet) this weekend and we'll see what happens.

so what about yee?

Try some E, maybe it will give you some euphoric full on results :lol: or you might end up hugging your computer :wub:

Just kidding, i dont think drugs and production go hand in hand.. one thing to get the inspiration while under the influence.. but to work in that state i dont see it work out, at least not for me.. and especially not on acid or other strong hallucinogenic drugs for some it might i dont know... but for me i have to be clear in my mind in order to think logical.

Try some E, maybe it will give you some euphoric full on results :lol: or you might end up hugging your computer :wub:

Just kidding, i dont think drugs and production go hand in hand.. one thing to get the inspiration while under the influence.. but to work in that state i dont see it work out, at least not for me.. and especially not on acid or other strong hallucinogenic drugs for some it might i dont know... but for me i have to be clear in my mind in order to think logical.

hahahaha if i was e-ing i woundn't be able to sit in front of my computer. id be bouncing round the house! and i was on acid id be laying on my front lawn watching the frogs float past talking to my dog. lol. weeds ok but i find myself getting stuck on the one little loop and not moving on.

weed: ok, i smoke often while making music. works fine.

coke: why would you even spend sooo much money and then just waste is it by sitting in front of a screen, bullshit. Coke is for downtown. + it's addictive as hell, if you start doing it at home by yourself, well ... it's not that good.

LSD: nope, maybe consider playing sitar in the forest; if you can't play sitar play some jimi hendrix Cd's. Seriously, if you take acid and manage to sit in front of a screen to make a psytrack you are probably already completely crazy; you need serious psychological treatment. There are more interesting things to do then making music! Like..... dancing, and waving your arms around, pretending your a duck, replace every word in your vocabulary with " DERP" and make whole conversations('deeeeerp derp derp dereeeeeep") with that, take a walk down the street and start laughing and pointing to everyone you meet. Then when you had so much fun that your cheeks hurt for 3 days go back to make some music. I think it will have a much better impact.

XTC:A 4-4 kick is enough to keep me happy on E; so i don't expect alot of technical insight.

I tend to get more focused when I'm really sleepy, so my best ideas come when I'm exhaused. I've never tried writing on drugs. I find it funny that when I'm well rested and full of energy it's difficult to write and extend themes/ideas into full tracks because I'm so easily distracted.

The only thing that has worked for me has been to get a lot of sleep beforehand.

Distractions destroy my creative process whether they be computer problems or outside noises etc.

The best catalyst for creativity has been just a lot of free time.

heh, i'll do acid and see what happens. it might work because i always have to create stuff on hallucinogens and if i wont feel like it, ill just stick to painting, jamming on my singing bowls or just do random things that will seem fun. of course ill post when its over :P

heh, i'll do acid and see what happens. it might work because i always have to create stuff on hallucinogens and if i wont feel like it, ill just stick to painting, jamming on my singing bowls or just do random things that will seem fun. of course ill post when its over :P

:lol:

Yeah, upload the result (mix/track) I want to here it :P

yeah, a good night's sleep, a wealthy fruity breakfast, and some mugs of coffee should do the trick as well

or some jogging, for like 6-8 miles or something before you start.. a shot of pure endorphin :D

The only drug that works for me is 1 or 2 beers, not more.

In the 4 years I smoked the shit, I finished 3 tunes, because my concentration span resembled that one of a slice of bread - since I stopped 1 year ago, I finished 10, and "success" started pouring in. Hence for me, drugs don't support my creativity at all, to the contrary, they made me loose focus on my ideas which is the most important thing there is in composing IMO.

Weed is the only psychoactive that works for me when producing. Makes me hear the track on a different angle and hear problems I didn't really hear before ( but also makes me ignore other stuff ). So I like working on my tracks sober & stoned.

I don't see how you could produce music under a psychedelic though.

• 2 weeks later...

Paradox: now, speed just slows me down :)

it's all probably about having focus

in the end, most drugs will kill your ability to focus on the same thing over a longer period of time

it's all probably about having focus

in the end, most drugs will kill your ability to focus on the same thing over a longer period of time

Exactly! That means, if You let drugs to do works for You (either music or anything else), in the end You'll become hollow and empty... :ph34r:

now, this probably sounds stupid, but I can't explain it better right now :huh:

hmm well... i agree :)

drugs as experiment can work inspiring, or revelating, or etc.. (as u have a good ability of focus + good short term memory)

drugs as default will eventually work destructive (as it destroys focus + short term memory)

something like that :)

Sounds about right to me.

Personally, I find that alcohol lubricates the writing process. I tend to be fairly tightly wound inside, and it helps to loosen up when writing. But not too much, because then I lose attention to detail. MJ can help sometimes, but for me that drug is more passive than active. Nicotine is essential, and I think it helps me solve problems. Brain stimulator.

I can't imagine any other drug while writing.

MJ can help sometimes, but for me that drug is more passive than active.

quite an active drug, but the effect gives a passive effect u mean ?

it's complex to explain what the different effects of it are

but it causes different effects on different levels :)

same as nicotine btw

very complex imo

it works as a lighthouse of hope, after a rugget time, a sort of reward

but the rugget time just was so rugget cause of soberness (counter-effect)

and so it can destablise your emotional being quite a bit (both)

in the end the cause for the effect of it is made indirectly by the effect itself..

cause its used as solution for coping with stress, irritation, frustration, hopefullness, blues, etc...

there are other things as well with these.. but i'll keep it with this one

or did u just mean that u only use it passively, now and then, when it's around.. ? :D