getting your ass in front of that keyboard

Just wondering... how do you guys motivate yourselves? I mean, getting your ass on that chair in front of the keyboard and trying things until eventually you get a half-decent result without thinking "bah what's the use? the world doesn't need another mediocre psy producer"...

Just wondering... how do you guys motivate yourselves? I mean, getting your ass on that chair in front of the keyboard and trying things until eventually you get a half-decent result without thinking "bah what's the use? the world doesn't need another mediocre psy producer"...

Thinking that I will not produce psy ;)

i only produce if i have an idea of what to do.

if you force yourself to produce something it will probably end up like shit and you will think "does the world needs another mediocre psyproducer".

Dude, connect a cd player to your mixer, play a cd, sit down, and figure out the scales used in a track, and start adding shit to it as you play the cd.....and then find your spot, and start working from there. I don't know, works wonders for me. Don't try and copy what's being played, add a layer or two underneath what's already going...and you'll soon find that you've just started your own track. works everytime for me but then again, so does just using a drum beat.....and then humming along and then keying it in after you hum it :)

HUMMER!

hehe

-d

P.S. having your keyboard directly in front of you while you browse psynews helps, too! :-P

knowing that if i work hard enough, in a few years my music will be better than "half decent mediocre" :)

Give me a joint man, and i can't motivate myself getting OFF the chair and away from the keyboard ;)

Dude, connect a cd player to your mixer, play a cd, sit down, and figure out the scales used in a track, and start adding shit to it as you play the cd.....and then find your spot, and start working from there. I don't know, works wonders for me. Don't try and copy what's being played, add a layer or two underneath what's already going...and you'll soon find that you've just started your own track. works everytime for me but then again, so does just using a drum beat.....and then humming along and then keying it in after you hum it :)

HUMMER!

hehe

-d

P.S. having your keyboard directly in front of you while you browse psynews helps, too! :-P

I do this as well, just a little different! i try to focus on the basslines and the overall flow so i cut off the middle/high frequencies.. and then builds melodies/ideas in my head... Sometimes i humm the melodies, record it into my cellphone so i can remember them afterwards.. I play them in on the midicontroller, and make a "sketch" of what i want, then build it from there

I do this as well, just a little different! i try to focus on the basslines and the overall flow so i cut off the middle/high frequencies.. and then builds melodies/ideas in my head... Sometimes i humm the melodies, record it into my cellphone so i can remember them afterwards.. I play them in on the midicontroller, and make a "sketch" of what i want, then build it from there

Hehehe! :) Yeah, the infamous recorder comes out sometimes here. The mini cassette recorder I used to use on all my psychedelic journeys is now used for all my musical humming, well, not all, but...a lot of times it comes out. Great suggestion!

Aaron

if you force yourself to produce something it will probably end up like shit and you will think "does the world needs another mediocre psyproducer".

Arghhhhh.. most annoying thing in the world :angry:

I'm actually making music (or well.. trying) during 50% of my spare time and I just have to quit immediately if I'm in that "mood" again. When nothing comes out. And yeah.. being stoned used to do wonders lol. Maybe I should bring some stuff from Amsterdam next time I go home in the weekend. Being drunk doesn't do wonders though. I *think* my sound pwns when I'm composing drunk and then I'm like wtf the next day :P