Psytrance these days....

TRohr

Yes, good topic. Back to topic.

I see many people desire to evolve in music, past music and in life in general. It's like were stuck in a time, both musically and figuratively speaking where an evolution is taking place. In Full On, the ideas are getting rehashed until no heart or soul appears to be present. Once in a while something catchy and fun comes along, however most releases now days are empty; appearing void of purpose other than for the artist/label to profit.

I've been listening to more downtempo lately and old school Goa like Tandu for instance. For me there's tons of great music out there if he/she doesn't focus on a genre (Psytrance) that appears to be stuck in a loop and has maybe last evolved the most since Cosmosis's Synergy and/or Infected Mushroom's Classical Mushroom. I thought Talpa's The Art of Being Non was one of the last albums to really stand out as refreshing and great in the Psy genre.

Anyway, regarding change, moving forward, higher up, beyond all of this common matter and substance and actually, potentially really evolving, I believe many of you will appreciate the book called "A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose" by Eckhard Tollie. I believe that this is one of the most aware, spiritually aware books ever produced, right now, at a time when much of the world seems to either be asleep, or waking up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Awakening-Yo...3686&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/New-Earth-Awakening-...3630&sr=8-1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo you are almost as 'wrong' as he is with that comment ;)

Of course I was wrong. The difference is that I was joking.

I thought Talpa's The Art of Being Non was one of the last albums to really stand out as refreshing and great in the Psy genre.

Hmmm... I really like The Art of Being Non but I wouldn't call it refreshing, since it seemed to me to be too heavily inspired by IM's first two albums to be considered innovative. Compare that to genres like dark psytrance or fullon; I don't know enough history to know which artists created those genres but the fact is that when they were created they contained genuinely new ideas, and for all the derivative crap that gets released under the darkpsy tag there are still artists who are pushing the genre forward and making it evolve.

+1.

I still feel pretty spoiled for choice when looking for new releases to buy (like RTP, I don't buy many mainly because I don't have time to give that many CDs a fair listen). Sure there's a lot of crap about but there's a lot of amazing stuff too.

nice said,

there's a good fullon, goatrance, ambient, even some dark I like and I totally don't like dark, progressive is offering in any direction...

2008 has been a good year so far... I'm listening more to psytrance nowadays then in 2005...

Sadly psytrance seems to have the highest crap % of all electronic genres. I always laugh when I see psy hippies bashing other 'commercial' dance music like club, trance, house etc. Even those are on average not as bad as psy. :lol:

Sorry but I do not agree one bit!!! ALL electronic music genres have a HUGE crap %, IMO it's because since nowadays you need very little investment in music producing gear (all you need is a computer, a good soundcard and montiors and there you go) so everyone wants a piece of the action. Name me ONE decent hardstyle track and I rest my case ;)

also, when's the last time you've seen REAL hippies at psy parties? Last time I went I was about the only one still to wear tie dye clothes, made me look VERY out of context lol

Has all creativity been lost? Has it come to the point where the majority of the producers out there need to copy and paste in order to pump out any new CD's?

that means you find yourself in the wrong stream of data/news

you know how publicity works i assume, and publicity only concerns itself over the amount of general regulars, and how new & fresh sounds can get appealing for the general mass

(by using global recognisable elements that already were invented and used before in a succesfull manner

for me personally, i tend to follow up on artists which don't conform to the main stream (in order to achieve successes)

but ok, i'm a borderline-case on that matter, so i can only give a reply based on my own perspective

(w.o.w.: nothing to do with you personally, just trying to reflect within the subject ;) )

Ha, the Mauro Picotto mixes I used to listen to seven years ago were waaay better than that and I even say that now as I totally hate Schranz :P

I was right to move out of that scene, that stuff has obviously gotten only worse.

See? That's the best argument I delivered there that actually in ALL electronic music genres everything goes down the drain!

So stop complaining! You are worse than Austrians...

Guest antic

Anyways! I was wondering what everyones thoughts on Psytrance was these days. I recently purchased the rest of the Yabai records line, Dark Side of the Mind, Deep Fried, Azax Syndrome's Evolution, Fried Babas's Multiple Personalities and a few other CD's and I must say I am not pleased...

Well, you've asked for it IMO. The thing is, you should buy stuff from different labels and styles (goa/psy/fullon/dark/ambient) and select them very carefully - that's why there are 4-min samples & reviews. There's not one label that has consistently released only good music (Twisted included!), so buying one label or one style will inevitably lead you to the conclusion that 'psytrance sucks'.

Besides, just like RTP, I'm not able to get everything that comes out - I but 3-4 CDs a month, so once I press 'buy' I'm pretty sure that what I've chosen will fit my taste. Very often, if there's nothing new interesting I buy old stuff that's still available and I didn't bought it first time around. It is very hard to fight that 'new is better' syndrome, but it's definitely worth it.

And one more thing - if you buy a lot of stuff, you simply can't physically listen to it all properly. In my case, I'm listening to music around 10 hours a day (mostly in work, then in car and sometime in the evening while reading books). My point is, unless it's pop you're listening to, you've got to put a lot more effort and time to appreciate and understand the music. There is so much CDs I hated after receiving them, but fell in love after repeated listen. Of course, there are CDs that'll work in opposite direction too, but they're rare.

I like this one, more info on the set/dj ? :)

listening to it right now

This is a Promo set made by Glenn Wilson one of my best friends ever, owner of labels:

Heroes:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Heroes

Planet Rhythm:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Planet+Rhythm+Records

Hybrid: (Now owned by Cari Lekebusch though)

http://www.discogs.com/label/Hybrid+Sound+Architectures

Compound:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Compound

Punish:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Punish

and some more, like Colours, Template, Submissions. As you can see MANY releases! :) On Compound you can find some of Headroom's early techno stuff, not the Psy stuff they are doing now, quite interesting if you ask me :)

My point is, unless it's pop you're listening to, you've got to put a lot more effort and time to appreciate and understand the music. There is so much CDs I hated after receiving them, but fell in love after repeated listen. Of course, there are CDs that'll work in opposite direction too, but they're rare.

Definitely. In fact if I think about my absolute favourite albums, most are ones which I didn't really know what to make of when I first bought them.

I knew this guy who went on about how much he hated darkpsy, on the grounds that it was shallow and flat with no emotion, then he went and listened to jazz! Hahaha!

Jazz can be pretty cool and is often regarded as the truest, most creative genre in music, free from any rules to tame and contrain it.

All kinds of music and music industry in general are on a downfall in my opinion.

I suppose most of us listen to other genres of music and we can clearly see that.

And of course this lack of creativity affects all artists no matter what style they produce.

My opinion is that all these derive from the way we live and act in general. People are less creative and imaginative these days. We "buy" emotions, imaginations and ideas instead of creating our own.

For example i can buy a soft synth with a 10000 presets and make a psy track in no time. BUT all those sounds will be just other people's ideas and emotions. I mean the process of creation is all gone...and thus we keep our mind asleep...

I just hope that our minds are just asleep, and not dead...and one by one we'll start to wake up.

Cheers.

Jazz can be pretty cool and is often regarded as the truest, most creative genre in music, free from any rules to tame and contrain it.

I know. I like Jazz. My post was a joke - a crap one, I know, but a joke nonetheless.

All kinds of music and music industry in general are on a downfall in my opinion.

nah, u should try some new Industrial / Post-Industrial stuff

stunning things to be found there

nah, u should try some new Industrial / Post-Industrial stuff

stunning things to be found there

+ 1

Industrial has been progressing through the years and these days is for me one of the most engaging electronic genres.

There is so many variable stuff in industrial music, from ambient and gothic through IDM, noise to hard driven mayhem.

I suppose most of us listen to other genres of music and we can clearly see that.

And of course this lack of creativity affects all artists no matter what style they produce.

I think most genres are actually getting better & better. The thing is there is so much being released these days & most of which is heavily promoted is utter crap. But take the time to dig deep, take risks & try unknown things you can usually find fantastic music released each week in most genres.

... doesnt suck as much as people would have you believe. the good stuff is being released on a better than an average scale. there are always a few good artists who dont compromise on originality and are constantly trying to evolve their sound and those are who you have to look out for. im pretty much still enjoying it nowadays even after falling in and out of love with it for over seven years. .i do agree the quality of dark and full-on is going down because of stereotypical releases. more tech trance and goa influenced prog psy for the hungry soul will save the day. (FTW!!!)

Cant wait for the future :posford:

Money ruined the psy scene. Not the invention of PC-based production, altho yeah, it did help the new kids out there to make psy tracks in a matter of hours. But they had only one thing in mind when they were making that music, and that's money (and fame).

Ambient music on the other hand was allways in the background, sort of like an underdog. It's artists never were affected by fame or money, they only cared about their music. And let's face it, the average person that's just entering the world of pc-based music production is really more interested in other forms of music like hip-hop, progressive, full-on etc, simply because its more 'popular', and, with all the instructions & instrument presets etc available on the web today, its real easy to make something in a matter of days. With the ammount of competition right now in the ambient domain, they wouldn't stand a chance even if they tried.

Just my 2 cents..

... doesnt suck as much as people would have you believe. the good stuff is being released on a better than an average scale. there are always a few good artists who dont compromise on originality and are constantly trying to evolve their sound and those are who you have to look out for. im pretty much still enjoying it nowadays even after falling in and out of love with it for over seven years. .i do agree the quality of dark and full-on is going down because of stereotypical releases. more tech trance and goa influenced prog psy for the hungry soul will save the day. (FTW!!!)

Cant wait for the future :posford:

+1 except that tech trance will save the scene. We need Psytrance. real Psytrance!