Psytrance these days....

TRohr

Hey guys, it's been a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been on Psynews these days as much as I used to because I threw down my tax returns on some really high end backpacking gear and have more or less been living in the mountains....

Anyways! I was wondering what everyones thoughts on Psytrance was these days. I recently purchased the rest of the Yabai records line, Dark Side of the Mind, Deep Fried, Azax Syndrome's Evolution, Fried Babas's Multiple Personalities and a few other CD's and I must say I am not pleased. Several of the tracks- excluding Yabai and the ones listed above; Yabai is just awesome in my book even if a few of the samples suck really, really bad- have been mastered terribly and I have heard several synth sequences/samples multiple times from other tracks in my collection....

Has all creativity been lost? Has it come to the point where the majority of the producers out there need to copy and paste in order to pump out any new CD's? I recently downloaded an Analog Pussy CD because I had never heard them before and after listening to 12 seconds of their first track I almost took my Glock to my hard drive. Luckily there are still a few producers out there who are producing grade A work *cough* everything on VA Psylight Moments compiled by DJ Ketil M and DJ Flips *Cough*. I was pretty pleased with that one :]; real dark and groovy beats.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. Really original work is becoming sparse, and I think it's because so much has been done already, and the genre seems a bit exhausted. For me it goes both ways - I don't hear so many new original tracks anymore, and I don't produce much that is somewhat original anymore. I keep repeating myself... That is why I am turning to dubstep these days :)

- A

Norway rules *Cough* In edition to the respectfull Northern Psylight Records, check out releases from Yggdrasil Records *Cough* .. You have a Glock?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Yggdrasil+Records

http://forum.isratrance.com/va-nine-worlds...drasil-cd-2007/

http://forum.isratrance.com/va-yggdrasound...drasil-records/

I recently purchased the rest of the Yabai records line, Dark Side of the Mind, Deep Fried, Azax Syndrome's Evolution, Fried Babas's Multiple Personalities and a few other CD's

Ha, see, that's the reason why I can't complain like you!

How many CDs did you buy in total? You listed 4 plus "the rest of Yabai records" plus "a few other CD's" ... well, let's say it was 10 CDs. Or was it more? Anyway.

I recently bought 2 CDs, carefully selected ... they are both awesome releases and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I don't have the money for more and will buy my next load in some months. But I will never complain. For I can only afford really good releases, I just practically can't buy one that I find bad since I select the candidates for a purchase long before I do buy it and I listen to samples, read reviews and so on. Bad releases - or, let's say "not absolutely good releases" - get filtered out long before they even reach my shopping cart...

It's funny, because now it's apparently the case that the fact that I alway considered a bummer - that I can't afford most of the music - turns out to be an advantage in the end because it saves me from buying releases that are not good and thus saving me from becoming a complaining grumpy old man like most of you here :D

"One day the last one will be the first one." ... oh yes. It feels really good to be the last one now ^_^

But why do you have to buy so much music? Why can't you do it like me?

Ha, see, that's the reason why I can't complain like you!

How many CDs did you buy in total? You listed 4 plus "the rest of Yabai records" plus "a few other CD's" ... well, let's say it was 10 CDs. Or was it more? Anyway.

I agree... :)

I think these days psychedelic music became better again then 3 years ago, more variation, more original ideas and lots of fantastic ambient releases :)

Yeah... lotsa crap. Every genre has this, thou. :)

+1

Just stay to the good Psy.

Like I said before: for every crappy track that get released there's a great one to keep me satisfied.

Sadly psytrance seems to have the highest crap % of all electronic genres. I always laugh when I see psy hippies bashing other 'commercial' dance music like club, trance, house etc. Even those are on average not as bad as psy. :lol:

I agree... :)

I think these days psychedelic music became better again then 3 years ago, more variation, more original ideas and lots of fantastic ambient releases :)

sorry to hijack the topic:

what fantastic ambient releases do you mean?

I think gems are as difficult to find as before. But it seems that there is for example in prog only a few established labels left that are still breaking even on cd sales. The rest quit because they wont make back the money they invested. Which leaves a pretty narrow number of released tunes, which is really sad i think..

bullshit man. :)

Right ... I also rather listen to the worst fullon crap release than to go to a club that plays commercial trance or Schranz techno. Or hardstyle or speedcore...

But anyway.

The actual core problem of our scene is that this cheap repetitive fullon stuff obviously sells! There are people who buy it - many people obviously, otherwise they wouldn't put so much effort and marketing into it and not everybody would start producing the same sound.

The funny thing is, I have never encountered somebody who truely loves fullon. And on this board there are some people who like it, yeah, but not enough to reflect this big movement in our scene. If the same percentage of people who like fullon on this forum compared to the number of total members would be applied on the global psytrance scene we wouldn't have enough buyers so that this crap could become so big! So where are the masses of buyers actually hiding?

bullshit man. :)

+1.

I still feel pretty spoiled for choice when looking for new releases to buy (like RTP, I don't buy many mainly because I don't have time to give that many CDs a fair listen). Sure there's a lot of crap about but there's a lot of amazing stuff too.

Sadly psytrance seems to have the highest crap % of all electronic genres. I always laugh when I see psy hippies bashing other 'commercial' dance music like club, trance, house etc. Even those are on average not as bad as psy. :lol:

WORD!

If they are bashing other electronic genres it is still funny.

I know a guy who gets really annoyed whenever i try to play Jazz, he once called it shallow and flat music with no emotion

Then we went back to dark psy,

rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak rak full of emotion rakrakrakrakrakrkakakakakarararararrrrrrrrrrrrrr rak rak rak

That's not funny anymore!

That's seriously fucking fuckerdefucking fuckier than fucked UP!

seriously people, dark psy = not funny anymore.

I knew this guy who went on about how much he hated darkpsy, on the grounds that it was shallow and flat with no emotion, then he went and listened to jazz! Hahaha!

What PSY trance these days ? :unsure:

check new Ka-Sol mate

Right ... I also rather listen to the worst fullon crap release than to go to a club that plays commercial trance or Schranz techno. Or hardstyle or speedcore...

But anyway.

The actual core problem of our scene is that this cheap repetitive fullon stuff obviously sells! There are people who buy it - many people obviously, otherwise they wouldn't put so much effort and marketing into it and not everybody would start producing the same sound.

The funny thing is, I have never encountered somebody who truely loves fullon. And on this board there are some people who like it, yeah, but not enough to reflect this big movement in our scene. If the same percentage of people who like fullon on this forum compared to the number of total members would be applied on the global psytrance scene we wouldn't have enough buyers so that this crap could become so big! So where are the masses of buyers actually hiding?

well schranz techno/acid techno/hard techno is very good man ... :)

as for the fullon lovers, yes i've met....

I knew this guy who went on about how much he hated darkpsy, on the grounds that it was shallow and flat with no emotion, then he went and listened to jazz! Hahaha!

Imo you are almost as 'wrong' as he is with that comment ;)

check new Ka-Sol mate

well schranz techno/acid techno/hard techno is very good man ... :)

as for the fullon lovers, yes i've met....

You are into that kind eh? You know Glenn Wilson etc etc? :) If not, check out Labels like Submissions, Heroes, P-Rhythm :)

You are into that kind eh? You know Glenn Wilson etc etc? :) If not, check out Labels like Submissions, Heroes, P-Rhythm :)

i haven't checked much into names etc.. however i've heard some sets of schranz in parties and i found it quite similar to certain tech-trance/techpsy like the Delta or Trimada , it's intense dark-ish repetitive hard electronic music , great for furious dancing :D