The marketing of FullOn music

mars

Sorry if it souns rude to the artist if he reads it. I repect the movement, I've been supporting it for 12 years.

I even relistened to "Digital Stimulant" a few days ago, because I like it very much, but ok we're just discussing about marketing here.

I'm sure I will have problems with this one....anyway let's go.

H2O Records is delighted to present the 4th featured studio album, by Top L.A based Producer and Dj, Quadra: Voice of Reason.

Quadra is the leading project of well known artist Ido Liran, known for his domination in the craft of sound production for over 10 years.

His powerful, uplifting live act sets have been featured in pretty much all of the top stages around the world.

His heavy loaded discography includes 3 previous studio album releases:

- Digital Stimulant (BooM! Records 2000),

- Serotonia (Solstice Music Int. 2004),

- One Nation Under Trance (Solstice Music Int. 2006),

and massive amount of tracks released on compilations by the scenes leading labels such as: Spun Records, Solstice Music, T.I.P World, Dragonfly Records, Transient Records, to name a few...

Quadra also collaborates with Alien Project in the successful project Save The Robot.

Quadra is back stronger than ever presenting a massive morning dance floor album, including 10 previously unreleased hits, innovating and captivating.

As expected of leading artists in the caliber of Quadra, this is yet another brilliant album, mature and focused.

...wow...

Top...Well known...domination...massive...sucessful...stronger than ever...innovating...capitvating...leading artist...caliber...brilliant...mature...focused.

The lest we can say is that H2O knows how to praise! I know this is just marketing, I do this kind of stuff also when I write sales sheets, but HERE, there's no way a Microsoft marketing executive could sell this cd better.

Would I be a newcomer in the scene, I'd believe Quadra is THE Mozart of Techno music, all styles put together ! I thought this was Astrix...

Now, I listened to the album. Let's face it: This is just plain full-on.

Sterotyped to the extreme, 145-bpm-all-along, with all the known basslines, effects, breaks, vocoded lyrics and eurodance bass tone changes we've been delivered for 7 years now !

Innovating ? Come on, be serious.

Brillant ? The shapes on the cover are, indeed.

Capitvating ? Just boring.

Mature ? After 2 full-on Quadra albums and the Save the Robot one, delivering a non-mature full-on album would be a shame.

Focused ? Yeah, sure, on 145 bpm.

I know this is bad advertisement for this album, but you'll notice I haven't revewed it. FullOn lovers will probably appreciate. My point was about how H2O is trying to sell something that is more copy/paste than music, with just a pocketful of appealing words.

Oh, but there is worse. This thread was meant to be written with that one in the first place, until I just felt pity for the artist and made it a more general critic.

Hang on:

Multiverse is a double album that showcases Atomic Pulse professional production skills combined with a unique artistic creativity to add his very own signature to famous and successful tracks created by other artists.

The first CD contains Atomic Pulse personal interpretations to top hit tracks from top artists that the psytrance scene has to offer these days, from touching musical gems such as Infected Mushroom, Skazi, Astrix, Protoculture, Fatali, Shanti, G.B.U, Pop Stream. This CD emphasizes Tamir Ozana's and Yair Bar-On's multi-talent, who takes great tracks to the next level and moulds them to their ultimate potential of Excellency.

Together with their knowledge in sound engineering the new evolution of the tracks creates a perfect genetic mutation.

The 2nd CD takes one of Atomic Pulse most successful tracks to date, and experiments with lower BPM with the help of Progressive masters such as Echotek, Brisker and Magitman and Protoculture. This experiment shows that one track can go to a journey in different directions expanding the frontiers and horizons while remaining a huge hit!

And what a way to complete this amazing 2CD releases - we've got a bonus live video clip of 'New World Order pt.2', combined from Atomic Pulse's shows from Japan, Brazil and few other locations, see the duo in action!

I wil pass over the avalanche of superlatives. There mus be a school for writing this, there's no other way.

"Unique artistic creativity" ? I'd rather say "Unique abyss of lack of creativity" !! What we have here (on the soundsystem, past the sales sheet), is a first cd full of flat fullon remixes of existing tracks. In my opinion it's boring to d.e.a.t.h. And they say it "emphasizes Tamir Ozana's and Yair Bar-On's multi-talent, who takes great tracks to the next level and moulds them to their ultimate potential of Excellency" ? What would have it been with non-great tracks...

Look look look, there is also half another cd of 4 times the same track remixed by different artists! It was probably too hard for more artists to remix a fullon track into another fullon track, so the remaining of the 2nd cd had to be filled wih a lousy 4-minute video of guess-what-track.

You gotta have skipped listening to the release to be able to write such a sales speech.

No, come on, this masquerade has to stop. FullOn is now just like Hollywood movies. The most advertisements on busses and panels, the biggest the budget and names, the worst at the movie theatre.

Rant On dude :D

This is a place of care ( i read it and i apreciated your concerns, i'll now redirect you to the manager of care: Pavel)

But i share your concerns, FullOn often has problems with making new music as it's hard for 145 bpm music to have new and ingeniously made basslines.

Just listen to some gataka or sesto sento basslines.. they're all the same, i grew tired of full on, and it's indeed rare that i enjoy full on music.

but tbh, full on is very danceable because the basslines makes it easier for people to predict the music, and that's why most psy-trance is Full on.

it prolly also be easier to make crappy full on, i feel that all full on artists just copy standard beats from fruity loops without concerns. Quick factory made ones (only for the money, and no care for the love of music, or my ears for that sake :( ..)

That's probably why labels do so much of "promoting" their artists, it's really up to the label's integrity rather than the artists.

But nevertheless, it's always good to have a resume of what the artists has done in the past, i knew nothing about the artists but all the "made this cd in the past) actually could make me buy a cd.

we have a town called hollywood in belgium

funny, just the other day i wanted to write a huge bash review on phanatic - outsider since there was only one 30 second piece on the whole album i somewhat appreciated. halfway through all the negativity i thought; a hell nobody likes a hater, and dropped the whole thing. not even worth bothering anywayz. and now pienews master does the same! :drama:

it's true there is alot of israeli output and the quality is diminished far beyond sight, what to do, can't go shake all those daft people awake now can you? the scene is destined to consume itself someday... unless everybody stays stupid. and somehow it might be better of this way 'cause i know waking up is a whole lot nastier than sleeping! it's hard to appreciate anything with all this overflow.

grts

It's all about the money. Pretty much every former-psychedellic/goa act are calling themselves "full-on", you can see it on their websites, myspace pages, album info's, their history page claiming full-on made them who they are etc.. 10 years ago if I would look at astral projection's profile on mp3.com I would see "goa/psychedellic duo artist" or something similar in those lines. Nowadays what do I see on myspace? "AP is one of the best full-on artists in the world". Full-on? Big fucking lol to that. (btw they removed that since the last time I visited their page)

Man.. Artists these days just stamp that fullon label to their music, whichever genre their music is, they label it full-on, because that's what sells. It's gone so far that labeling full-on as the genre of your tracks is the equivalent of having health insurance, something you really can't go without if you want to be succesful in the music world. There's an awful lot of new producers these days that start out with full-on as their music genre . Most of these new producer "kids" think that fullon sells so good that releasing just about anything under the full-on domain will lead them to a rich, wealthy life. It's pathetic, the advertising, and the so-called "genre". I wouldn't hate it if it was a genre of its own, having it's own scene. But it basically ate every other pscyhedellic genre alive, and replaced it with this dull over-repetitive flat soulless sound.

Now the full-on genre is being stedily replaced by prog music. Instead of moving to new genres names, the artists should focus on changing their music, because I don't care if your name is Jon, Paul, or Simon, I don't care if you were blessed by the fucking pope, your music is the one that talks. -_-

The marketing's a joke indeed. And what's the irony to all this is that... all the promotion sounds the same!

Smashin nevööh heard befu, end of the world psy, 2012, buckle your seatbelts etc. Fuck that, I only need my ears and saiko's samples.

I'd like to read the following words: "the samples are available for you. If you like it, buy it." End of...!

The marketing's a joke indeed. And what's the irony to all this is that... all the promotion sounds the same!

Smashin nevööh heard befu, end of the world psy, 2012, buckle your seatbelts etc. Fuck that, I only need my ears and saiko's samples.

I'd like to read the following words: "the samples are available for you. If you like it, buy it." End of...!

I think that's what everybody does anyway. I mean who buys a CD just because of the promo text?! Marketing is rarely honest.

You know they are going to speak rainbows and puppy dogs about the CDs cos they want to promote and sell 'em.

This year Ive brought 2 CDs from marketing only. Zybex & Sine Die. Both though turned out to be really good CDs.

Usually I buy an album because I like the artists previous work or sometimes because I like the labels other releases.

I think that's what everybody does anyway. I mean who buys a CD just because of the promo text?! Marketing is rarely honest.

Can you imagine:

L.A. based Producer and DJ, Quadra, also known as the ultimately uncreative and souless alleged producer, is set drop yet another run of the mill album, with nine eight minute tracks copying each other. This is a sonical journey like just about any other you've experienced with him and his studio brothers in arms. Their constant, and irreplacable weapons of choice are the standardized rolling bass lines, the anthemic cheese induced melodic segments and the presence of a bland bang your head against the wall kick throughout. Run and get your copy while they're still in stock!

On a side note, I cannot even imagine anybody considering buying the albums mars listed unless the marketing was what it is.

+1000

It's marketing, so you don't have to believe it. ;)

Acording to the advertisment in psynews, EVERYTHING is killargh, creative, newthinking, crystal clear intelligent... Thats why i NEVER, Never ever, never ever ever reads the advertisment.. Its a fucking joke. I just listen to samples, if it soundspromosing, i'll DL the mp3... If i like i'll buy!

You gotta have skipped listening to the release to be able to write such a sales speech.

No, come on, this masquerade has to stop. FullOn is now just like Hollywood movies. The most advertisements on busses and panels, the biggest the budget and names, the worst at the movie theatre.

Honestly, what's the problem with these promo texts? They are written for marketing purposes only, so of course they are going to be as positive as possible about the release in question. I write these things for several labels (although currently not for any full-on labels and definitely not the ones quoted above - I would have done a much better job ;) ), and the aim is to give some description of the artist & release in question in the most positive light as possible. These texts are purely for advertisement, sales, etc. so of course they are going to be superlative & highly biased towards the positive.

Of course, that doesn't stop 90% of them (IMO) from being horribly-written & laughable pieces of crap, but I'm also biased. :P

And these texts are also not purely for the end buyer to see. These get sent out with the promo copies that go to the DJs, reviewers, distributors, retailers, digital download stores, etc. Consider it a sales pitch that ends up being seen at all steps of the sales chain. Even a niche market like this one is still a market.

Can you imagine:

L.A. based Producer and DJ, Quadra, also known as the ultimately uncreative and souless alleged producer, is set drop yet another run of the mill album, with nine eight minute tracks copying each other. This is a sonical journey like just about any other you've experienced with him and his studio brothers in arms. Their constant, and irreplacable weapons of choice are the standardized rolling bass lines, the anthemic cheese induced melodic segments and the presence of a bland bang your head against the wall kick throughout. Run and get your copy while they're still in stock!

On a side note, I cannot even imagine anybody considering buying the albums mars listed unless the marketing was what it is.

Hahaha, that was very Damion-esque. Nicely done. :lol:

This kind of advertising puts me off to be honest. Most of the best albums I've bought have had little to no spiel from the record label. If something really is the bomb then the label can just release & let word of mouth spread the good news.

How is every talentless fullon copy a leader in the electronic scene for the last 10 years?

I don't know why you obviously just now had a sudden wakeup, Mars. The thing with the overexaggerated promo texts is going on like this for years already, no, it already has become an integrated pillar of our scene! I have been growing up with it, so to say - well, at least since I stopped downloading and really buy CDs I see texts like this almost everywhere. I don't really know other promo texts than these ones and I can't remember having read anything not exaggerated. I'm already expecting this kind of promo text so to say...

What really can the text say? If it was objective, like "another fullon release of known producer Skazi with the same formula as his previous works, go buy it" then nobody would feel like to check out the release. A text has to be positive, it has to encourage people to check out the music and the artist and that's exactly what the exaggerated texts do! What's so bad about them? Everybody knows that all what matters in the end is the music and people who buy albums only because of promo texts deserve to spend their money on crap anyway.

And it's likely that the texts (at least not the engrish ones :lol: ) are written by people who are trained and know how to write these types of texts. In a professional label it's common that somebody visited a crash course in this.

I don't know why you obviously just now had a sudden wakeup, Mars. The thing with the overexaggerated promo texts is going on like this for years already, no, it already has become an integrated pillar of our scene! I have been growing up with it, so to say - well, at least since I stopped downloading and really buy CDs I see texts like this almost everywhere. I don't really know other promo texts than these ones and I can't remember having read anything not exaggerated. I'm already expecting this kind of promo text so to say...

What really can the text say? If it was objective, like "another fullon release of known producer Skazi with the same formula as his previous works, go buy it" then nobody would feel like to check out the release. A text has to be positive, it has to encourage people to check out the music and the artist and that's exactly what the exaggerated texts do! What's so bad about them? Everybody knows that all what matters in the end is the music and people who buy albums only because of promo texts deserve to spend their money on crap anyway.

And it's likely that the texts (at least not the engrish ones :lol: ) are written by people who are trained and know how to write these types of texts. In a professional label it's common that somebody visited a crash course in this.

true, it's marketing, posted on sites based on selling, I never read it...

I don't know why you obviously just now had a sudden wakeup, Mars. The thing with the overexaggerated promo texts is going on like this for years already

Word... I remember a promo text bashing thread on israTrance - and I haven't hung out there for about five years now... But I agree completely, it's superflous, annoying, and even disturbing to read the promo texts.

- A

touching musical gems such as Infected Mushroom, Skazi

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Guest antic

true, it's marketing, posted on sites based on selling, I never read it...

+1

I only check the first line to see the names of the artists if the group name is unfamiliar. That's it.

Sorry if it souns rude to the artist if he reads it. I repect the movement, I've been supporting it for 12 years.

I even relistened to "Digital Stimulant" a few days ago, because I like it very much, but ok we're just discussing about marketing here.

I'm sure I will have problems with this one....anyway let's go.

...wow...

The lest we can say is that H2O knows how to praise! I know this is just marketing, I do this kind of stuff also when I write sales sheets, but HERE, there's no way a Microsoft marketing executive could sell this cd better.

Would I be a newcomer in the scene, I'd believe Quadra is THE Mozart of Techno music, all styles put together ! I thought this was Astrix...

Now, I listened to the album. Let's face it: This is just plain full-on.

Sterotyped to the extreme, 145-bpm-all-along, with all the known basslines, effects, breaks, vocoded lyrics and eurodance bass tone changes we've been delivered for 7 years now !

Innovating ? Come on, be serious.

Brillant ? The shapes on the cover are, indeed.

Capitvating ? Just boring.

Mature ? After 2 full-on Quadra albums and the Save the Robot one, delivering a non-mature full-on album would be a shame.

Focused ? Yeah, sure, on 145 bpm.

I know this is bad advertisement for this album, but you'll notice I haven't revewed it. FullOn lovers will probably appreciate. My point was about how H2O is trying to sell something that is more copy/paste than music, with just a pocketful of appealing words.

Oh, but there is worse. This thread was meant to be written with that one in the first place, until I just felt pity for the artist and made it a more general critic.

Hang on:

I wil pass over the avalanche of superlatives. There mus be a school for writing this, there's no other way.

"Unique artistic creativity" ? I'd rather say "Unique abyss of lack of creativity" !! What we have here (on the soundsystem, past the sales sheet), is a first cd full of flat fullon remixes of existing tracks. In my opinion it's boring to d.e.a.t.h. And they say it "emphasizes Tamir Ozana's and Yair Bar-On's multi-talent, who takes great tracks to the next level and moulds them to their ultimate potential of Excellency" ? What would have it been with non-great tracks...

Look look look, there is also half another cd of 4 times the same track remixed by different artists! It was probably too hard for more artists to remix a fullon track into another fullon track, so the remaining of the 2nd cd had to be filled wih a lousy 4-minute video of guess-what-track.

ROFL yes and what is your point exactly? Just about EVERY promo thread and psyshop description is like that... and if I remember correctly that was initially the main point of having a review section on this site: letting psytrancers know what other psytrancers think about a certain album after actually LISTENING to it.

Now it's MUCH more preverted when reviews are made specifically to lick a certain artists' ass regardless on the quality of the album IMO...

i have to agree with mars here... its so annoying to read those texts...

makes me feel like i'm at macy's buying music or smrthg...

i can tell by reading the texts if it will be interesting or not....so the good thing is it helps to avoid the pain of listening to the samples...

so the good thing is it helps to avoid the pain of listening to the samples...

x)

Now it's MUCH more perverted when reviews are made specifically to lick a certain artists' ass regardless on the quality of the album IMO...

indeed! i demand a guy cohen ban from the review section!

NOWWWWW!!!!!