The new Discogs system about compilations

Ormion

Discogs have changed their system about compilations a bit.

They now credit the compialtion to the DJ who mixed or compiled it!

For example Goa Gil-Forest Of The Saints or Safi Connection-Psionic Groove.

I personally don't like it. What's the point? It's a compilation, so the artist name must be 'Various'.

Also, the 'releases' results about artists that have released an album and have also compiled a compilation is really a mess.

What do you think?

It's since almost a year that this rule came in [Compiler/DJ Mix artist written on front cover gets main artist entry]

Regarding the mess, it's since 10 th March, the day when modding was turned off and updates go live immediately, and people cast votes.

These words come from the 23rd contributor from top on discogs :rolleyes:

man that sucks! It sort of render the artist Releases out of function... It will become increasingly difficult to filter all the non-album/EP stuff away from all the compilation stuff... really stupid. And it becomes increasing difficult to see (in searches) when looking for a compilation but it pops up with a artist name :(

who is responsible for this??? :angry:

The whole new system sucks. Nowadays any fool can upload a non-existing CD on Discogs

without any kind of control from moderators. Same goes for comments and artist info. If you surf

around on the website you'll stumble upon numerous idiotic comments.

I agree that discogs is turning into a less quality site... :unsure:

I LOVE this site, but what they are doing now is really bad, many things...

- The compilations should stay various for sure!!! I mean Anoebis - Twist Dreams or Anoebis - Apsara? What a bunch of CRAP, sorry, this is not true, a compiler should not get the credits (imo)

- The new system of adding stuff is not right either indeed, I saw many false/wrong things already

- The updates are now too easy, everyone is updating stuff they think is right and there are no clear rules anymore

- The unreleaseds! Many unreleased promos are popping up, which is totally wrong, people want to buy it, it is unbuyable, and then some "smart" guy copies the promo 50 times, sells it for 50€ each and becomes rich

Ok... :P except of that, still a brilliant site :)

Someone should make a new site similar to the discogs but more oriented towards psy/goa/acid/whatever with more strict rules and with info only editable by mods etc im sure its not an easy task but it would be a nice site for sure if the right type of dedicated people would make it. I really dont like one thing thing about discogs and that is for example if i search for an goa trance artist i get like 20 + different search results with artists with the same group/artist names for example: hyperion(1) hyperion(2´) etc crossing all kinds of genres and since i only use discogs to check info about goa trance related stuff it gets a bit messy.

Allready know about that one ;) have it in my links section on my site since ages hehe. btw its Swedish ;P

Dedicating compilations to the compiler?

What an idiotic crap!

This has nothing to do with the DISCOGraphieS of artists!

Except if the compiler produced all tracks on the compilation by himself. Which makes the compilation an album :)

Nobody likes it. So really whose idea was it? :unsure:

I would really like to hear the logic behind this decision.

I guess it's Nik pulling all the strings. I was a moderator of few genres there and now I don't really care about the site that much which seems to go quitw alot of people.... <_<