5. Contrastion

6. Playtime Adventure

7. Psychedelic Exp

8. Nowhere Fast

9. Somewhirl

10. Pax Nostra

11. Bonus (Turrican remake)

Get samples here, I recommend you check out track 2 to begin with

Mostly venting my excitement about this wonderful release and encouraging more skilled reviewers to type a few words.

Tamlin has several tracks released on compilations from Vertigo, Faerie Dragon and GI'IWA. This is his debut full length.

The style is set to finnish madness combined with old school goa vibes, which I suppose is becoming the new school goa,

with so many quality releases. Tamlin combines high speed dancefloor abilities with interesting and highly psychedelic

experiences, such as the excellent track 2, Release, which rougly, much in accordance with its name, is one great build up.

Also, the Turrican remake bonus track is much better than the half-hearted attempt by Tea Chairs.

4.5/5

the album really picks up around the 6th track. there's always something going on but never really catches my attention until playtime adventure. after that it just takes off. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hay Guise,

Thanks for the nice comments. But I would like to request a full review for my album... :rolleyes:

It has been relatively quiet since the release, it would be great to get some more feedback.

Since the point of the album is to show a wide variation of styles, and to try and break out from the "Suomi" stigma into more melodic territory, I guess it can be hard for some to know what to expect.. Therefore, here's a small guide. ;)

- If you like melodic psy and goa trance, try checking out Playtime Adventure, Perspective and Psychedelic Exp. And Contrastion. (and most other tracks, actually).

- If you like weird and crazy like the early Tamlin releases, try checking out Catalysk, as well as Switch and Contrastion.

- If you like uplifting and energetic, try Somewhirl (and most other tracks, actually).

- If you like dark and noisy, try Catalysk.

- If you like experimental breakbeat psy, try Release and Nowhere Fast, and the "hidden" bonus track (Secret Traps).

- If you like melodic chill trance, try Pax Nostra.

PS. The album is available for (illegal) download on countless torrent sites and such, if you just google it. Of course you should buy it! ;) ..but more downloads means more listens, more distribution and more promotion, and maybe eventually more sales. B)

PS. The album is available for (illegal) download on countless torrent sites and such, if you just google it. Of course you should buy it! ;) ..but more downloads means more listens, more distribution and more promotion, and maybe eventually more sales. B)

The world needs more artists like you ;):D

Got it few days ago and haven't gone further than track three still listening to it. Really like what I've heard till now, I think this music can make dance floor go crazy. Its the spastic sound in disguise of being something melodious.

The cd cover is the best cd cover of this year, from what I have seen. All those sparkles based on true story.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some words i wrote down during my magical time with your album:

"

Your music is magical spitfire. It rips thru tangly hair and reaches

all the sweet spots of my brain. Like musical schampoo.

you seem connected and i love it.

Your music heals this planet. It pours from all directions."

This music is rare, because i feel it is the true definition of trance.

That the person behind the music have been able to reach understandings

and bring his or her understanding back into the artwork.

tack mr magiker!

Posted Image

To enjoy this music the most one should not listen to a few tracks, but the whole CD as a interconnected journey.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I don't post here often, as I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to write decent reviews, but I do read all of your reviews!

I am very disappointed to see this thread slipping away without barely a mention. How many people actually got hold of this?

In my humble opinion, I think this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard. It's just wonderful. It flows so well, and sends my brain into some kind of trancy madness - and that's just in the car on the way to work! The downtempo track at the end follows perfectly and is utterly blissful.

Safe to say I love this release!

Anyway, would love to hear a proper review from some of you regular reviewers, to see if it's just me! :rolleyes:

This is a CD I am really hoping to review soon but I've only had it a few weeks. Listened to it a lot & really love it but it's not ready for a full review yet. Hopefully in the next week I will as it is really really good :D

I agree with you all! This album is one of the better albums released in psytrance territory this year! :D

Its on the considering to buy-list, just got hold of it... now lets see if a few more spins will be just as good!

May write a review someday:) thanks for making great music Tamlin!

First impression: I really like the opening track, really trippy and a niiice sweet melody accompanied by a headboppin' bassline! Second track also great.. same for the third! I totally dig the melodies flying around in this entire album.. that's the most groovy and trippy part at the same time :) keep it up!

I'm listening this for the first time and I just passed Playtime Adventure and I have to say that I really love the mood and diversity on this album.

Oh and Playtime Adventure was a beautiful, beautiful track <3

Edit: Holy crap the bonus is awesome! :D

In this scene, this is pretty much the truth.

Hay Guise,

Thanks for the nice comments. But I would like to request a full review for my album... :rolleyes:

It has been relatively quiet since the release, it would be great to get some more feedback.

Since the point of the album is to show a wide variation of styles, and to try and break out from the "Suomi" stigma into more melodic territory, I guess it can be hard for some to know what to expect.. Therefore, here's a small guide. ;)

- If you like melodic psy and goa trance, try checking out Playtime Adventure, Perspective and Psychedelic Exp. And Contrastion. (and most other tracks, actually).

- If you like weird and crazy like the early Tamlin releases, try checking out Catalysk, as well as Switch and Contrastion.

- If you like uplifting and energetic, try Somewhirl (and most other tracks, actually).

- If you like dark and noisy, try Catalysk.

- If you like experimental breakbeat psy, try Release and Nowhere Fast, and the "hidden" bonus track (Secret Traps).

- If you like melodic chill trance, try Pax Nostra.

Sounds like just my kind of thing, I think I will likely do both.

Does anyone else love how small the psy world is? Some of the most talented musicians ever post at psynews (don't know if person in question is talented yet, but the OP liked the album alot and he has good taste). Awesome cover too btw.

Posted Image

Tamlin

Spectrogram

Faerie Dragon Records, Gi'iwa Productions

31st May 2008

Crazy Psychedelic Trance

Tracklist

1 Perspective (8:42)

2 Release (6:14)

3 Switch (7:22)

4 Catalysk (8:03)

5 Contrastion (6:00)

6 Playtime Adventure (9:33)

7 Psychedelic Exp (8:52)

8 Nowhere Fast (4:20)

9 Somewhirl (7:06)

10 Pax Nostra (6:25)

11 (Secret Silence) (2:10)

12 (Secret Traps) (3:45)

I didn't really know what I was getting why I bought this album. The cover is great and hints at great psychedelic wonders on the inside. I have been fooled by these types of covers though a few times in recent years but I shouldn't have worried as I was treated to one of the trippiest albums this year.

1. Perspective

Perspective starts us off with an energetic thumping beat, slick synths and lots of psychedelic goodness. A great representation of the cover art, it feels like being inside a fractal with rising and falling scales, those synths driving the energy forward and a well placed, unobtrusive sample that manages to worm its way into the back of my head. Very trippy.

2. Release

A slightly more melodious track is up next which starts with ambient background noise and a light rhythm that builds and builds and threatens to explode. 3 and a half minutes it kicks in with a stooping beat. The small melodies are even smaller but the scratchy synths are absolutely mental. Great stuff, very fitting of the title. It builds up the pressure for the first half then releases it in the second.

3. Switch

No slow build up here, it's right in there with the beat. Great wet little melodic bleeps ooze into the mind and massage it gently before the synths kick in and stab at your brain like little hot sticks. 4 minutes in it totally switches direction. I love when a track does that. The beats move sideways, go a little slower and are shot at by a multitude of lasers. Great stuff, melodic and fun but not even a little bit cheesy.

4. Catalysk

Melodic rhythm, 4-4 beats and a shuffling sub beat lead into some really chaotic, spacey sounds. I feel like I'm in the middle of some multicoloured storm. I'm in the eye, chaos swarms around me dangerously close but never doing any harm. Great sounds, rough and ready mixed with smooth floating yet quick moving ones. It ends even more chaotically with hard sounds pushing down and down like it's trying to break apart.

5. Contrastion

Nice high pitch melody twangs as an almost relaxed break beat kicks away the dust under my feet ready for the steady beat to come in surrounded by quick tasty synths. They sound moist and acidic at first then sharp and acidic as they slice through the skull into my pink fleshy brain. Once my brain has been but open, the madness starts. All manner of crazy sounds stab, slice and kick the shit out of the inside of my head. Everything is right here for a perfect madness inducing psy track. Love it.

6. Playtime Adventure

This is the track I think most old Goa lovers will initially love the most. It's a wonderful example of emotional melody driven psychedelic trance. It's energetic, it's bouncy, it has soft pads and sharp acidic noises. It has well placed samples, changes of pace and direction and of course melody. Around 4 minutes the main melody kicks in. Slightly a first then really in your face. It's really good melody as well. Emotional but not likely to get stuck in your head allowing it to stay fresh. There is of course more than just a great melody, the whole track is build expertly with breaks at the right time, build ups at the right time and each little noise perfectly positioned to make one great piece of music.

7. Psychedelic Exp

Oscillating synths back and forth back and forth allow the beat to creep in quietly so by the time you notice it's in full swing and seems like it always has been. The way the synths move makes me feel quite dizzy and this whole track seems designed to mess with your head. Not in the crazy rip your head apart kind of way like Contrastion but in a more steady methodical kind of way. There's not as much going on as in previous tracks but it seems all the more hypnotising for it. This is probably not going to be the track you remember after listening to this album but it's highly psychedelic and lifts the mind up into vast open spacey realms.

8. Nowhere Fast.

And bloody hell it is fast. Coming off the steady psychelica of the previous track even the build up here sounds out of control. The beats are fast, the synths whir around speedlessly yet have incredible energy. All the sounds are chaotic and noisy. Even the breakdown seems fast as all the noises are flying around all over the place. Quite a feat to get a track sounding that fast even when the beat goes out.

9. Somewhirl

Nowhere fast's ending acts as a build up and this track drops right in with the beat. Fast and steady surrounded by quick melodies and sharp sidelong synths. I can see this working wonders on the dancefloor like many of the tracks here. It's got bags of energy to keep the body moving long after it has begged to stop and enough going on to please the brain. The first half is a little boring for the home listener but in the second half the melodies become more complex and it's more pleasing on the ear. Still I guess this is one geared for the dancefloor.

10. Pax Nostra

We finish the titled tracks with a more downbeat number. Nice cool beats like semi-breakbeat and lush melodies create a nice warm atmosphere perfect for summer nights out on the porch looking out over the garden and beyond to the mountains in the distance as the light fades but the warmth stays. Like a lot of the tracks here it stays interesting by adding elements as it goes and allowing the music to change directions. A very nice piece of downbeat psy.

11. (Secret Silence)

Silence and a blip.

12. (Secret Traps) (Turican Theme)

When Tea Chairz did I thought it was great but this is even better. Longer and more nostalgic. I loved the game and played it for hours a day and so had this theme engraved on my mind. The breakbeat and the bassline are good but insignificant next to the awesomeness of the Turican theme. The melody is played a few different ways, on a few different scales and with the synths. This is what hidden tracks should be, a real treat and then something totally apart from the album. This usually gets a couple of rewinds from me.

Well, Tamlin has produced a damn fine album here. Really psychedelic, varied and is going to be battling it out with Jikkenteki - Flights of Infinity at the end of the year for my number one upbeat album of 2008 it just oozes class, psychedelica and craziness. I love it and I think many other people will too. There is something for everyone here. For the oldschool lovers there is melody, psychedelic touches and some spacey atmospheres. For the lovers of crazy madness, well there is lots of that. There is pumping energy for the dancefloors and so much head stuff for the home listener.

• 2 weeks later...

Just superb. So glad I found this one! Spectrogram has plenty of goa flavor but completely modernized and integrated with fresh sounds. Definitely one of the most exciting releases of '08 so far.

I love the old goa but often the new goa leaves me cold. It's as if the artists are afraid to deviate from the old formulae, which is ironic because IMO you can't have psychedelicism without novelty. You have to keep pushing forward into the unknown if you want to keep it trippy.

Although they don't sound similar it reminds me of Earthshine in the sense that it ties together a range of styles into one coherent musical journey. This makes it ideal for home listening.

Props to the artist for recognizing the value of P2P sharing as a marketing channel. Works for me, and it's a big reason I bought this CD. :clapping:

Looking forward to more from Tamlin. Great work!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the first time in years I've heard someone attempt to make something even vaguely unique and new in psytrance. Release and Somewhirl sound like truly "psychedelic" trips, to me. Very fast, multi-layered melodic trips. Some of the tracks are rather more stripped back though, like the opener - too many silly sound effects and not enough melodies.

The Turrican cover is totally amazing, perfect, wonderful, and gives me more of a euphoria than any of the other tracks on the album. I would buy an album of Turrican covers like this immediately.

• 6 months later...

this is an incredible album, a freight train of colorful energy.

I'm going to have to agree with you. Colourful is one of the best ways to describe the album, along with fresh. I think this is one of the hidden gems of 2008. This album has soul attached to it. And while I'm mentioning soul, I must mention Playtime Adventure again. It's full of energy and emotion. Beautiful.

I do wonder if Tamlin is making new material. It'd be a shame, if he wasn't..

• 1 month later...

I've only listened to this 1.5(hate half listens!) times, but it seems like a great piece.

It really is designed to be listened to as a whole. It has a definite progression, style or journey that is built up and really focuses melodically at track 6. You're almost hypnotically drawn into it's style of sound at this point. Feeling like you've been sonically prepared for it's true appreciation through the previous tracks. It wouldn't be the same if you just skipped to that point. The next track(7) maintains the peak resonance of the previous track at a nice balanced plateau. The very last track is there for re-entry from the trip. Kaleidoscopic, warping, varied and smooth, but unified in it's transitions.

Sorry I can't go into more detail, but I'm lazy(sometimes), and I've only listened to this once properly without the full intent to review.

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firstly, big thanks for all the nice comments!

I'm really very happy to see that there are people out there who appreciate my creations, despite insignificant sales and absent gigs...

Secondly:

Good music ruined by shitty mastering yet again. How sad :(

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I must say that the mastering is not to blame. I think Tim Schuldt did a great job with the mastering - instead I would say that if you think the production quality is inferior, then the source material itself is the problem..

In other words, I blame myself and my somewhat lacking skills with EQ and compressors. That is actually the only part of my album that I'm not really happy with, but like I said I think Tim did a great job of compensating for this and still making it sound quite good.

(.. Although, some of the "muddiness" is in fact intentional, to create a mystifying sensation of not really knowing where one sound ends and another begins. Perfect clarity isn't always preferrable.)