The Best Psychill Albums of All Time

Chillseeker

I have been looking with Google for threads on the best psychill albums of all time and to my surprise I didn't find much.

Please write your list of best psychill albums of all time.

This is my list in no specific order:

Carbon Based Lifeforms - The Path (unreleased)

VA - Quality Relaxation

VA - Butterfly Dawn

Ishq - Orchid

Ishq - Magik Square of the Sun

Entheogenic - Golden Cap

Shpongle - Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost

Hallucinogen - In Dub (Mixed by Ott)

VA - Chillosophy 3

:drama:

The following two albums r unfortunately the only ones by this artist and i'm still thinking of writing him an email of continuing his genius work as Stress Assassin. I have listened to them a thousand times and these are the albums that physically relax me the most (so I put them a lot when I go to sleep). Real masterpieces, great journeys, no words..

Please tell me if you find something in this style (you probably won't because it probably doesn't exist),

Stress Assassin - Within The Office Of Eye And Ear

Stress Assassin - Carrier Track

P.S.: I will update this post if anything else comes to my mind, or if some of your best will become my best.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, man, you got the spirit :)

The good thing about Morrowind was that its in-game music was in mp3 format and you could put all of your own mp3 files in the game music folders, even synced to exproring pace or battle pace! That was the BEST ever! I doubt I'd have played it so much if there were only these five songs that ship with the game - they are nice, but after 50 hours they get boring.

Oblivion I'm now playing on PS3, so there's no mp3 folder anymore ... well, fortunately I got an ipod so I can still listen to my own music ^_^

The only thing is, I don't listen to that much psychill when playing. I've got a master mixture of psychill, new age, medieval ambient and lotr soundtrack pieces. My own secret Morrowind recipe so to say ;)

However, there's one song I must recommend: Shiva Chandra - Chilli Out ... it's beatless, but sooo good! It feels like it's made for these Telvanni towers on the northeastern coast of Morrowind. I remember having put the song into the music folder and then I was in Tel Branora and this piece kicked in for the first time. Nothing better than that! I levitated up to the tower to fly around it just because the music was so great :rolleyes:

I bet you'll like that one as well.

Oh yes, man, you got the spirit :)

The good thing about Morrowind was that its in-game music was in mp3 format and you could put all of your own mp3 files in the game music folders, even synced to exproring pace or battle pace! That was the BEST ever! I doubt I'd have played it so much if there were only these five songs that ship with the game - they are nice, but after 50 hours they get boring.

Oblivion I'm now playing on PS3, so there's no mp3 folder anymore ... well, fortunately I got an ipod so I can still listen to my own music ^_^

The only thing is, I don't listen to that much psychill when playing. I've got a master mixture of psychill, new age, medieval ambient and lotr soundtrack pieces. My own secret Morrowind recipe so to say ;)

However, there's one song I must recommend: Shiva Chandra - Chilli Out ... it's beatless, but sooo good! It feels like it's made for these Telvanni towers on the northeastern coast of Morrowind. I remember having put the song into the music folder and then I was in Tel Branora and this piece kicked in for the first time. Nothing better than that! I levitated up to the tower to fly around it just because the music was so great :rolleyes:

I bet you'll like that one as well.

Thanks for this great post, you know what i am talking about :). I will check it out!

Best psy-chill albums of all times:

1.) Entheogenic - Entheogenic

2.) Phuture Primitive

3.) Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

4.) Shpongle - Are you Shpongled

All of them Classics

The first 2 Entheogenic albums, and the first Shpongle are the 3 best so far, no doubt there !

The first 2 Entheogenic albums, and the first Shpongle are the 3 best so far, no doubt there !

heh funny how tastes differ... personally I can't bring myself to listen to a SINGLE track from AYS without fast-forwarding. As for Entheogenic, it might be nice but they try too much to sound like Shpongle IMO so they lose many points for originality.

As for me... believe it or not but I've given Celtic Cross - Hicksville another listen latley after many years of leaving it to gather dust on my shelf and it sounded AMAZING!! I couldn't believe how fresh it still was after all these years. Shwazz still sounded "deep" and brang tears to my eyes and I couldn't understand why did I stop playing this tune in the first place. It also made me wonder why noone ever thought of putting celtic elements in their tracks ever since. So IMO this album wins many points for quality but also for originality (the ONLY chill-out album to use celtic elements AFAIK) and also the fact that it never had any commercialy-oriented follow ups ;)

Other than that... I'm amazed that noone mentioned Makyo??? At one point in psy history he was about to overtake the high and mighty Shpongle in populairty. IMO his songs are much "deeper" than many psychill out there, which tends to get a bit formulaic like "insert your favorite nature-sound, mix in a little ethnic (preferably arabic) singing and there you are. Put a Terrence McKenna sample on top and you're sure to have a chart-topper".

And Banco De Gaia and Angel Tears also rank high on my list but since their tracks seem to be a little hit-or miss I'm not putting them on the top spot.

My favourite psychedelic chill albums of all time

The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences (Blue Room 1995)

My first psychedelic chill love, very spacey & soooo trippy.

Mystery Of The Yeti - The Mystery of the Yeti (TIP 1996)

A very spiritual journey through spacey inner minds

Enigma - Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! (Charisma 1996)

Enigma's best, very trippy in a really earthy way

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? (Twisted 1998)

Seminal psychill album & rightly so. Very....err twisted

The Mystery of the Yeti 2 (Tip.World 1999)

A great continuation of the journey

Matt Coldrick - Music For A Busy Head (Absolute Ambient.com 2001)

So warm & inviting ambient

Ishq - Orchid (Dakini 2002)

Natural ambient at it's best, great 2CD from Dakini

Jairamji - Kindred Spirits (Dakini 2003)

Lush ethnic album

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden (Ultimae 2003)

Spacey urban ambient

Butterfly Dawn (Liquid Sound Design 2003)

Such a beautiful warm compilation of psydub

Abakus - That Much Closer to the Sun (LSD 2004)

The best summer album ever

Solar Fields - Leaving Home (Ultimae 2005)

An almost perfect album including Air Song, the best electronic track ever.

Solar Fields - Extended (Ultimae 2005)

A more ambient journey including Air Song (8am Version) every bit as good as the original

Secede - Tryshasla (Sending Orbs 2005)

Amazing journey into the after life

Matt Coldrick & Matt Hillier - Elemental Journey (Absolute Ambient.com 2005)

An ambient album mixing all the elements of nature with electronica

Tripswitch - Circuit Breaker (Liquid Sound Design 2005)

An album I just listened to again & again & again without getting bored

Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers (Ultimae 2006)

Spacey & earthy at the same time

Rena Jones - Driftwood (Native State Records 2006)

A great album perfect at sunset on a summer's day

Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (Par-2 Productions 2006)

CD1 is the best pure psychill I've heard

Cymphonic - Strataradialis (Databloem 2007)

Very nice darkish ambient

Spielerei & Mantacoup - Cold War (Silentes 2007)

Like nuclear winter in music

Colourform - Visions of Surya (Virtual Musical Reality 2008)

Such bright colourful alien ambient

Distant System - Spiral Empire (Celestial Dragon 2008)

Amazing spacey trance on ketamine

Entheogenic- Entheogenic

My all time favorite, just pure beauty!

Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers

Like that spacey sound

The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences

Nice one

Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

Psy- chill at its very best, defines psy chill for me

Shpongle - Are you Sphongled

A must have classic

Those are the must haves imho!

The chill psy-trance albums that impressed me the most (factoring in when they were released), in no order:

- Shpongle - Are you shpongled?

- Safi Brothers - Mystic Cigarettes (but has aged very badly)

- Tripswitch - Circuit Breaker

- Abakus - That Much Closer to the Sun

The one which disappointed me the most:

Shpongle - Tales Of The Inexpressible

Pedro

Other than that... I'm amazed that noone mentioned Makyo???

Oh gosh, how could I forget that! Makyo is brilliant! Sheesh...

Although if I really think about it ... maybe Makyo is not that suitable for Morrowind. I mean, the music is absolutely breathtaking, but I'd get mad if some Dremora asshole or whoever (those goddamn huge birds for example, them I hate the most!) would come and attack me in the middle of Vismaya or just before this wonderful peaceful climax of Suzhou River comes in ... argh, no, that would really ruin the atmosphere.

Then again, I wouldn't listen to CBL's The Path anywhere in Vvardenfell either, so well, maybe the Chillseeker will enjoy it nevertheless. Don't go into dangerous areas when listening to long songs though...

+1 for Secede. Not really a psychill artist but he creates some amazing downtempo stuff nethertheless.

There's an increasing amount of good chill stuff emerging now that people are abandoning the tried and tested formulas, the future is bright :)