What track kicked off the whole darkpsy thing?

Basilisk

Something from Parasense? Azax Syndrom? Penta?

Krakakot was originally released in 1998... it seems hard to argue with that!

What do you think?

Good question, I would also like to know, so I can send like hate letters and stuff (J/K) :D

the nommos - djembe (rough mix)

in v/a forest of the saints

i really tripped on this cassette and started exploring all genres of trance. the infected track was pretty dark as well for that period compared to the goa tracks being released back then.

well it's all a matter or exactly what do you call "darkpsy"... for me the current wave of dark trance is simply taking the whole concept started off by X-Dream/ The Delta/ Midi Miliz/Spirallianz/ C.O.P. and various other projects revolving around the Marcus Christian Maichel and/or Arne Schaffhausen and putting a faster tempo/ bassline.

Other than that, "dark psytrance" has been around since the early days of goa, although it was VERY different back then. Actually at one (very short) moment in goa history around 1996 I thought that the whole uk scene had a much meaner "hardcore vibe" to it which didn't really belong to the spirit of goatrance IMHO, tracks like Hallucinogen - Space Pussy, Tufáan - Probe, Doof - I Think We Can Go To The Moon... but of course it all has nothing to do with what we call "dark trance" today even though it was called "dark trance" back then ;)

Now if it's the kbbb kbbb bassline formula you're talking about... I've had the imense surprise of discovering that it was actually around for ages as well, for example on a long forgotten EP from 1995 Dancing to the Sounds of the Sun Vol 1 by a certain project named Special Go-Man

Now if you were to go even further back (let's not forget that the whole "death-rebirth" concept of goatrance parties where dark stuff was played during the night and melodic stuff during the morning actually predates the creation of goatrance itself...) I found the label P.C.P. (Planet Core Productions) had a set of really trippy dark releases in the very early 90s. And before you tell me "hey, wasn't PCP a HARDCORE label???", I'd like to point out that the label was massivley supported by DJ Dag Lerner in it's early days (DJ Dag being one of THE first DJs ever spinning trance and the co-founder of Dance 2 Trance). Some records like this one even had "Hi to DJ Dag!" printed on them lol So it is my theory that in the early days (talking about stuff before 1994) a LOT of these records were played during night sets in trance parties.

That's what I like about psytrance: whenever you think you've just coined THE "first track ever" you notice that similar stuff has been around years before, just that it didn't really break into the mainstream.

well it's all a matter or exactly what do you call "darkpsy"... for me the current wave of dark trance is simply taking the whole concept started off by X-Dream/ The Delta/ Midi Miliz/Spirallianz/ C.O.P. and various other projects revolving around the Marcus Christian Maichel and/or Arne Schaffhausen and putting a faster tempo/ bassline.

I'm not a connoisseur of darkpsy by any means, since I don't like most of it, but even the first CD of the X-Dream Best Of compilation (ie. 1996 and earlier) seems to have elements of darkpsy, so perhaps there's some precursor there.

Guest D N H

I remembered of an old dark track; "Wicked Warp"

http://www.discogs.com/release/106791

In any case i believe that there should not be traced a link between dark goa or dark psytrance

and this kind of dark 'psy' with grinding monotony, shrilling effects and/or evil nihilist cult satanist black metal attidude, which all this is something more or less extraneous.

hmmmm I see it more as:

Full On (Light) - Dark Psy (Dark)

Progressive (Light) - Tech (Dark)

for everything light there is a dark. There were many mor edark and scary trips back in the "old" days than Xenomorph or Sandman. Actually, if you have a listen to compilations such as Tantrance 4 and Pulse 5 most of the track sound very similar to a lot of the dark stuff out today, just with a stronger low end today. And in a scene that was based on the Hindu and Eastern religious and philosophical beliefs, I think that Satanism and the darker side of life is more than welcome. It is funny to see how many of you all carry on like grandmother's about it. Do you really think any of the producers who make it really care what you think? Attitude sells, look at Skazi. You all pay him out endlessly, but he is making so much money and he is so popular, why? He simply has an attitude that sells. I really thinkt ha personality is very important in the music and entertainment scene, and it is very lacking in ours, and is frowned upon.

Who cares if you "sell out" and make lots of money? Who cares if you have singing and if your sound has been done before? If you are having fun, and having a good time, it is more important. It is what this scene was, and should be, about. One man's trash is another's treasure.

In any case i believe that there should not be traced a link between dark goa or dark psytrance

well goatrance and psytrance were interchangeable terms in the mid 90s... only in the early 2000s did people start calling newer stuff "psytrance" as if to make the difference with melodic oldschool stuff. Same thing with "progressive" (check out Indoor - Progressive Trance from 1995... does that have anything in common with what is called "progressive trance" today?) and full-on (for example, Chi AD - Eye am the I was called "full-on" when it was released, again, nothing to do with today's full-on, which interstingly enough isn't that far sounding to what was called "minimal" just a few years ago if you take away the rolling bassline ;)

Juno Reactor- High Energy Protons

nah Im just kidding, I said just because its really a great old dark track...but I do not think it was the one that kicked the whole darkpsy thing, that defines the today sound. I believe that we could say something from Parasense or Xenomorph

I think the sound went more dark in 97... for example the xenomorph album and some compilations from flying rhino lab.

my pick would be:

twisted travellers - twisted travelling

that track is storming to say the least. give it a try if you're able to find it. :)

I think there is a big difference between darkpsy and dark psytrance (or Goa trance) in general. Darkpsy is not the best name for things--but hey, I didn't name the stuff :) Diaks is right about Xenomorph but I still wonder about the drive. Darkpsy is more than just horror noises after all. That distinctive throb and rumble has to be accounted for. That's where Parasense comes in...