I Awake - The Core

Melancholyman

Artist: I Awake

Album: The Core

Label: Ultimae

Format: Deluxe Digipack

Posted Image

Label release info:

Stockholm based ambient downtempo producer Thomas Huttenlocher aka I AWAKE follows up his digital Ep release [ Birth ] with a full length album [ The Core ] out late April.

Built as a journey of audio neural beauty through organic microcosms, electronic vortexes, deep, tribal beats and vast soundscapes, the album takes us on a pilgrimage of sounds, with scents of parallel lives, glimpses of the future and overlapping, coexisting dimensions.

A superfine blend of psychedelic spurs, groovy bass lines and catchy melodies composed with the collaboration of Krister Linder, Fredrik Lundberg, Tara Avi and Planet Boelex.

As a film soundtrack producer, I AWAKE is one of the key figures of Ghostfriend, a Swedish underground movement of creators with a "peculiar devotion to the present and

strong love for the innermost".

For the first time in Ultimae's history of releases, the artwork was created by famous digital artist and designer David Vineïs aka Sub88.

Tracklisting:

1.Complete Garden (Eternal forest edit)

2.Constellation of the Heart (native edit)

3.Neveritized

4.New Time Nomads (Bass edit)

5.Reclaim

6.Leaving the known (featuring Planet Boelex)

7.Unleashed

8.Rebreath

9.Journey

10.Inferno (featuring Krister Linder)

11.Reflecting Impulses

12.One

13."Hidden track"

Review

The first track “Complete Garden (eternal forest edit)” really lives up to it's name with a lot of animal and insect samples making you feel like

you are sitting in the middle of the forest. This sounds a lot like something Matt Hillier would have produced and I even believe there are some

sounds that he uses in some of his productions. If this track would be played among people not knowing who the artist is, I am sure many would

have guessed Matt Hillier. It's almost like a rip-off but it's so well done that I cannot help but love it. The track name might be intentionally comic or not, but it only adds to the spice :)

Moving on to “Constellation of the Heart (native edit)” A totally different track that starts off with a majority of electronic sounds only to

later go into more natural sounds with drums and voice samples. The pace is a bit faster than previous track but works well.

Third track “Nevertilized” starts smoothly mixed with the previous sample and adds some stronger (that I find rather annoying) voice samples.

A rather dull, boring and uninspired track that leaves you mostly unaffected.

Heading on to “New Time Nomads (bass edit)” we continue from previous track and smoothly as I hear it a guitar is added, that makes a very catchy sound.

Voice samples are still used but this time heavily mixed to sound more electronic which suits the style of music much better.

These latest three tracks has a rather “earthly” feel about them.

I cannot help but feel that “Reclaim” and “Leaving the known” are just filling out the gap before heading into newer territory.

Good tracks in their own right but they sound too much alike the 2 previous ones. These tracks might sound much better if listened

just on occasion without the others before them.

“Unleashed” is a very pleasant track with guitar though keeping it on the low side so it doesn't take over the track. The guitar still manages to give a very pleasant melody.

This is another of the more outstanding tracks that really keeps it's own style. Just wish there were more tracks like this one. It's also a bit melancholic.

With this track the album also takes on a new course towards a different sounds, the tracks 3-6 were almost identical with smaller variations.

Take a deep breath and then “Rebreath” (fucker) and dive into another uninspired track. Regular downtempo stuff, some beats, small twists,

Some strange voice sample sounding blurry as you are prolly on shrooms or acid when listening :) The ending of the track is nice though.

Most of you should be familiar with the track “Journey” since it was released for free promoting the album by Ultimae.

A great track indeed with it's very own style though not in the “Ultimae” sound. This track sounds so different from some of the previous

ones and this makes the album not retaining any overall feel. Hopefully the next album will be more focused on these great original tracks and

keeping a sense of the artists soul throughout the album.

“Inferno” sounds somewhat like the earlier tracks but this time it's very well made with engaging voice samples, melodies and sounds.

“Reflecting Impulses” is a nice track with vibrating sounds and a rather spacey feel about it. Great! Original aswell.

"One" that previously was the opening track now has become the ending tracks and works great as such!

These original tracks really shows what this artist is capable off and suits the album name and cover art very well.

We can only hope the next album will be more cohesive and has a more individual touch to it like these few but great tracks.

The “Hidden track” you will have to find out for yourself! Buy the album!

The album has a great opening just to dive into a more dull and boring state and to end magnificently. It's masterfully produced and mastered/mixed

so the feel of high quality is always present. There is a bit too many fillers in the album and also the artist doesn't seem to really know where he want to lead the listener.

It becomes more as a set of nicely together weaved tracks that don't really have that much in common. I awake needs to find his own style and really dive into and experiment there.

As for now he has some great unique tracks. But many of them are way too influenced from other artists in the genre or just tracks with lack of artistic sense.

A lack of individuality as to say.

Having this said this is by no means a bad album, and it has it's rightfull place in any downtempo fanatics collection. Far from essential though.

And by Ultimae's standards we could demand more.

It might sound in the review as a bad album but the great tracks I haven't taken the time to describe so much, find out for yourself!

• Like 1

Very quick review. I find Ultimae releases often sound disappointing at first (didn't like any of the solar fields' albums on first listen) but end up growing into masterful albums. I wouldn't be surprised if the tracks you find boring now wont end up being the best on the album in 8 weeks time.

• Like 1

Very quick review. I find Ultimae releases often sound disappointing at first (didn't like any of the solar fields' albums on first listen) but end up growing into masterful albums. I wouldn't be surprised if the tracks you find boring now wont end up being the best on the album in 8 weeks time.

I would say you're right but I don't think this is the case this time actually :) And yes I just wanted to put out a review out there. '(nobody reads the downtempo ones anyways :P )

(nobody reads the downtempo ones anyways :P )

Whaaaattt?????

I live for the downtempo reviews... keep them comin!!

:clapping:

Anyway your review sounds really "true"... I hate it when people give a 10 or a 0 on an album so easilly.

Haven't heard it yet so i'll be back.

Peace

New Ultimae is always such a delight and this one is no different, other downtempo releases somehow lack the atmposphere which Ultimae artists always manage to create (new Entheogenic, Kuba, Shulman ...)

As was said some tracks get the filler feeling but that doesn't make me to skip them and overall it's very smooth sailing.

Posted Image

I Awake

The Core

Ultimae Records

May 2008

Tracklist

1. Complete Garden (Eternal Forest Edit) (5:13)

2. Constellation Of The Heart (Native Edit) (4:14)

3. Neveritized (5:13)

4. New Time Nomads (Bass Edit) (5:40)

5. Reclaim (4:47)

6. Leaving The Known (6:17) Featuring - Planet Boelex

7. Unleashed (5:17)

8. Rebreath (4:21)

9. Journey (4:52)

10. Inferno (4:41) Featuring - Krister Linder

11. Reflecting Impulses (5:29)

12. One (5:22)

13. Untitled (Bonus Track) (6:18)

The debut album (on CD) by Swedish Downbeat producer Thomas Huttenlocher was not exactly on my list of eagerly anticipated albums as I had never really heard much from I Awake. The digital only EP released in 2007 passed me by as I knew I would never be able to give it the time & attention it deserved but as the Ultimae whore that I am, I bought it straight away knowing that a disappointing Ultimae album would still be pretty damn good. I was more impressed with this than I thought I’d be when I truly focused on it. The level of production is sublime & there are many subtle, intricate sounds that keep the mind occupied when listening to it. After many listens it would not rate among my favourite Ultimae releases however it is a fine addition to the catalogue. The style is quite different from most of what I’ve heard before, it’s more glitchy in places, warmer in places than most other Ultimae releases but it still has that Ultimae stamp of spacey goodness.

1. Complete Garden (Eternal Forest Edit)

This is a nice start to the album, as the title suggests it has a very natural feel to it. Sounds of the forest, birds calling, frogs croaking & rain falling are all over a deep bass drone. The slow introduction of a beat sounds almost ritualistic & I get a shaman of the forest kind of vibe to it.

2. Constellation of the Hearth (Native Edit)

More movement in the next track beginning with what to my ear sounds like Native American pipe & very well used it is too. The effect gives me a feeling of flying over beautiful green nature & the soft beats seem to push my higher & further. Lots of psychedelic sounds whoosh by as I fly, it’s a really nice track.

3. Neveritized

A lush female vocal chants out in a language I can’t make out, twisted male vocals seem to oscillate out of the air at points. These too I can make out what they are saying & this gives a much more ethereal feel than if I could. The noises in the background are verging on eerie & they create a mysterious atmosphere that the evolution of the beats into a slow break beat sound pushes into a feeling of heavenly promise.

4. New Time Nomads (Bass Edit)

What sounds like the same voice sings out again but with a varying degree of tone & punch going from a soft wail to a shrill jab of a shriek. The shriek wins out in the end before the bass covers everything & the focus is shifted more onto the guitar like sounds & glitchy weirdness so that when the voice comes back in it feels less shrill but just as punchy. The track breaks down & is very minimal for a few minutes before coming back in with a steady yet glitchy beat in the final third. Lacks some of the feeling of the opening 3 tracks but would be great in an atmospheric/glitch set.

5. Reclaim

We pick up the pace a little with a steady 4-4 beat that gets my head bouncing a little bit. The sub beats are delicately placed and done so very well so that they ripple up & down at times like water in the park in another dimension. The sounds surrounding the guitar are very trippy & other worldly whereas the guitar sounds themselves add a very earthy feel to the music. It’s a nice mix of sounds creating a nice bouncy track.

6. Leaving the Known (Ft. Planet Boelex)

Another beat orientated track with much heavier beats that seem to crack through the music’s edges & pierce the listener. The music behind the beats (as they are very much the forefront of the track) is very spacey & without the beats would be a very nice piece of space ambient. As it is though it sounds even better for when the beats leave & a ghostly voice enters, I am left anticipating the beats return & the slow teases only increase my anticipation. When they do kick back in then it sounds very natural and welcome. Very good track.

7. Unleashed

The beat returns to a more chilled level at the start of this track and a sunny guitar plays an audible melody that sounds like daybreak. A very light mood sounding like it belongs on a Kuba album. No hint of melancholy or darkness, this is all light and seems quite a contrast, which I like. It’s music for summers at the beach. Lots of light little sounds click & pop in the background. The beats become a little more upbeat & the energy created is very nice.

8. Rebreath

After that sunny interlude the storm clouds seem to have gathered overhead with this darker offering. The intro is long and when the beat does come in it is accompanied by whispers, bells tolling in the distance & dark rushes of wind. Another great contrast.

9. Journey

Like a combination of the last two tracks, Journey is a bubbly track with elements of light & dark in it. I especially like the beats that seem to trip along in a way that drags my mind into the music, be massaged by the light trippy melody & then be sliced open as the slow irregular yet heavy beat kicks in. Rushing sounds & dabs of colour all over the canvas of sound make way for an almost vocal, one that is hard to discern if it’s a voice or an instrument. A bit short to be called a journey, it would have been nice to see this track evolve a bit further.

10. Inferno (Ft. Krister Lidner)

This track puts me in mind of Enigma, similar in style to his 3rd album without quite managing to accomplish the atmosphere as well. Still, the vocal seems to be crying out from some forgotten world, filled with a light pain & sadness. The beats are intricate and the whole atmosphere seems ethnic without going into any cliché. A very enjoyable track.

11. Reflecting Impulses

I’m put in mind of a pond or a lake with this softer track. The glitchy sounds appear in my mind as dragonflies flitting over the surface of the water, the light clicks being the ripples in the water as the dragonflies make contact. The dark synth sounds feel like an encroaching cloud of grey & black ready to rain down on the scene & scatter everything.

12. One

One sounds like the end of a summer day’s toil. Imagine standing on the edge of a pier back to the beach looking out over the ocean at sunset. The day’s work is done & the evening beckons yet is still light enough to fill you with a feeling of summer & warmth. It’s like the 2nd part to Unleashed as it stands in contrast to the feeling of the other tracks but still manages to fit in snugly to the album. Very nice music indeed & I’d like to hear it at the end of a summer chill set.

The 6 minutes of silence I find totally unnecessary & just a bother to fast forward through.

13. Untitled

The hidden (if you can really call it hidden track) is very nice. Funky beats & a melody that seems to fall gracefully around my ears. The beats become more glitchy but never annoyingly so, staying at a level becoming a chill out album. The atmosphere is one of funky solitude and it’s another track that gets me nodding my head in appreciation. A great way to end of the album but I am left wondering again why the need to make it a “hidden” track, why not just include it on the track list & take out the 6 minutes of silence?

As with most Ultimae releases this did not exactly blow me away on the first listen. In fact every time I listened to it while doing something else like reading or using the internet I struggled to appreciate it. When I spent time to focus on it though I noticed all its intricacies & many of the tracks took me away into the outer limits & some took me into me inner reaches. The contrast in styles between the tracks makes it a very enjoyable listen but it does not flow into a journey like many other Ultimae albums. That’s not a criticism as this album serves a different purpose & pleases a different mood to say, Solar Fields & CBL albums. Definitely worth getting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed :)

This album has grown on me. i find the compositions and the ideas amazing. feels just right :)

Unleashed is my favourite. so sleepy :D

• 1 month later...

I sense this artist is right on the cusp of greatness. The tracks are good and really set an atmosphere, but like Abasio said, I would like to see further development with the songs.

Exotic, I am liking that one too! :)

Damn, ambient is ruling over psy right now!

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Me as well as most other people around the world hadn't really heard of this guy (Thomas Huttenlocher) before so I checked out his myspace and stuff and it appears that this guy is into theatre music and the likes, I sure know i'd love to sit back and enjoy some fairytale theatre on this kinda music. It oozes natural sounds and outdoor feelings in all the tracks, like you could almost feel the breeze on your skin. All tracks flow relentlessly into each other and the story of the whole album really never gets broken up too much nor does it get repetitive. (To the exception of one track.)

One solid journey through your own brainforest! Perfect as background music or to lose yourself deeply within... Each track is filled with little details and different passages, always breathing the same soft glow of... eeriness.

1 Complete Garden (Eternal Forest Edit) 5:13

Welcome to Green Tea™

There's a fire burning, you are about to experience a ritual thousands of years old

2 Constellation of the Heart (Native Edit) 4:14

Swings the mood actually, from warm to rather frisky, with the vocal like that. Warm beats come back in quickly again though. Fresh and minimal.

Only hinting the other tracks. Ethnic percussion, it's all so dreamy...

3 Neveritized 5:13

Really like the female vocals through the track. Deeply enchanting. Like a forest with fairylights, really too nice cinematics in this one. Chilly beats guide on through the track... just keeps on drifting gorgeously into the never... Then there's a funkier change, which is good. Never drops out of the natural thing but still it's a funkier twist to it. Maticulously flows over into the next track..

4 New Time Nomads (Bass Edit) 5:40

Ambient intro, groovy bassleads, metallic voice sneeres through. Keeps on being very spacy with no real beats or rhythms structures present, still sounding good though. Excellent layer weaving and fading to keep the track going on it's steady and gentle pace. Then there's a sudden cut in atmo and slowly fades into

5 Reclaim 4:47

One of the nicest on the album, again many vocal touches who are very enjoyable, add trippy neurotic beat and you're in for a nice ride!

Perfect to get lost somewhere on a hill with forests like i did when i had the album (around may) I remember it really got stuck on my mp3 player but at the end of may it broke down so i don't listen any mp3s anymore. And i haven't heard the album since.

Just keeps your sight on infinite with this kind of atmo, there isn't that much variation through the track but it's so nice it really isn't a bad thing!

6 Leaving the known (featuring Planet Boelex) 6:17

Yes!! As soon as I heard this melody in the previews I knew I had to get this album! I remember i had the Ultimae page with the mp3 previews stuck in a tab for the whole time during the preorder wait and i always listened this piece!! The perfect enchantment i was looking for. Deep, soft aah name it!!

The break is so nice, the perfect track for outside times for me. Walking in da sun forest. Then a piece with funky breaks and the same dreamy pads until it rolls off in the distance, this ending could've been more original but hell I really like it!!

7 Unleashed 5:17

Again, a very nice track!! The guitar is so nice all the time! The pads so melancholic, nostalgic, like a fading childhood memory, like you could feel the wind eating away the stone. Some rainy beach or something. Can't help but to get poetic with this kinda shit in my ears. :P

Really very nice track! A nice heightened passage in the end and diffuses.

8 Rebreath 4:21

Fluffy touches and more magical eeriness. Cool touches everywhere, cut up samples are hinted. Like all tracks it feels windy and wide open.

9 Journey 4:52

Nice vocals again, never or hardly singing, like in any of the tracks, more used like and instrument or stabs of a syllable. Sometimes there are words but in this track it's more like sounds and syllables. Alienating atmo perfect for some gloomy shooter. This is indeed very cinematic music, more like a score to a spectacle, rather than solid listening music. It begs for images and movement, as it heavily suggests it with all the different stabs and evolving patterns in this track.

10 Inferno (featuring Krister Linder) 4:41

This is the one with the rather annoying vocal, as it's being repeated almost through the entire track. It's a nice sample yes, but really gets a bit annoying after some 20 times of non-stop playback :P That out of mind, there is a short break where it doesn't play with nice electro leads and it fades in again a few times but it's less annoying as it doesn't get repeated again all the time. Sometimes i can manage to appreciate it in it's full, sometimes it annoys the fuck out of me. (The vocal - i suppose it's Krister Linder)

11 Reflecting Impulses 5:29

Moodswitch, cold and gloomy. Eeriness all over again. Foggy mushroom forest in sight. Perfect for 5 am! :P

12 One 5:22

Super nice melancholic guitar and squelchy synth! True music! A frozen dream! The dew still dripping fresh and the midnight bloom in full glory!

One of the tracks I always played as well during the wait. So gorgeous! Everything i said about the previous track a tenfold! But less gloomy though, a more reassuring vibe to it, the true beauty of this track! Strings are also beautiful! Then comes the break and moves on with another distorted guitar touch.. and fades out...

favs: 3,5,6,7,8,12

8/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...