Borrowed melodies

tamlin

Maybe there is already a thread like this, but i didn't manage to find it.. Anyway:

Sometimes artists "borrow" melodies from other music. I don't mean remixes (so Skazi doesn't count!), but rather when only a part of a track, or only one melody, are "borrowed". Here are a few I came up with off the top of my head:

Abakus - Nightwalker

Borrows a melody from the intro guitar solo in Jimi Hendrix - Along the Watchtower.

Rinkadink - Tune from childhood

Uses a melody from the soundtrack to the old game Turrican 2. The track is called Desert Rocks and is written by Chris Huelsbeck.

Fuzzion - Little girl

This is a borderline case since it is basically a remix.. But since it's only half of the track, I thought it could count. Anyway it's an obvious "remix" of Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit.

Enigma - The Eyes of Truth

This isn't really psy, but still. The main song/melody is the from the song played by

. :drama:

Shulman - Eternal Bliss of the Grateful Souls

Another borderline case, but personally I think it sounds very much like he uses subtle variations of the well-known short "melody" from the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Now add the ones you've identified to this list! :)

Fractal Glider-Gremlin Chan (melody from the Gremlings movie)

Zion Linguist-Speaker Creature (there's a different version of the Gremlins movie melody again)

oCeLoT-Happy Birthday (the happy birthday theme)

GMS-Growly Family (Adams Family theme)

Azax Syndrom vs Toxic-Rain (taken from Slayer-Blood Rain or something)

Azax Syndrom-South Of Hell (again from a Slayer track)

1200 Mics-High Paradise (main theme taken by Iron Maiden-Fear Of The Dark, includes a lot more of known melodies)

Rastaliens-Gadget On Acid (Inspector Gadget theme)

Twisted System-Stark Raver (Star Wars theme)

Astral Projection - Solid Electronics (Astral Projection - Soundform)

not only that the tracks sound quite similar, they use one and the same melody and that melody is the most pominent feature of each track.

I agree that they are indeed very similar, but I'm not sure I agree that the melodies are the same..

If this kind of thing "counts", then I think there are better examples of e.g. Alien Project (& co) re-using the exact same themes, samples and melodies in tracks that sounds more like a remixes than completely new tracks, but nevertheless the names of the tracks have nothing in common. Can't remember exactly which tracks I mean tho..

Oh and this one:

Cosma - Nonstop

Sounds to me very much like it ripped off / borrowed from X-Dream - Psychomachine.

A couple of examples spring to mind:

Alien Project - NRG uses the melody from Energy 52 - Cafe del Mar

Mr. Rogers - DMT Factor uses the melody from DJ Jean - The Launch (credited)

ha! that hux flux track with pac man in it- sorta counts??

there are so many but one i dont have any idea what track it was but i will never forget hearing

michael jackson- off the wall !!! ha! i couldn't believe that melody running through the track, but it was.

also have to wonder how often this happens by accident, there are sooo soo many out there

the (for me anyway) most prominent melody (soundform at 4:20 and solid electronic 2:50) is exactly the same. the sound is a bit different but the melody is the same.

Aah, yes you are right. They are indeed identical there for a while!

nice thread

rastaliens - mission not possible (from mission imposible)

Miraculix - Inspector Gadget (rm), not the one with the vocals...

@ Ormion

does gms hasn't a star wars theme track too ?

and the simpsons ?

This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll8Qm8yDj-8 obviously ripped of a little more than just the bassline from a well known track you should all be able to recognize once you give this a listen :)

@ Ormion

does gms hasn't a star wars theme track too ?

and the simpsons ?

Systembusters (GMS & Lotus Omega) have a Star Wars track.

Simpsons? Probably, it's GMS after all! :D

Oh and this one:

Cosma - Nonstop

Sounds to me very much like it ripped off / borrowed from X-Dream - Psychomachine.

And let's not forget the Astral Projection-Dancing Galaxy with Space Cat & Elysium-Funky similarities

More from the videogame/oldschool computer world

Rinkadink - Marauder is from the videogame Speedball2

Logic Bomb - Extension is from the eXtension demo on Amiga by Pygmy Project

Not psytrance but imho still worth a mentino:

Westbam - Wizards Of The Sonic uses the melody from a Sonic game for the track (the one from a boss fight). I nearly fell of the chair when I've played that game and noticed the melody. Awesome! :wub:

Not psytrance but imho still worth a mentino:

Westbam - Wizards Of The Sonic uses the melody from a Sonic game for the track (the one from a boss fight). I nearly fell of the chair when I've played that game and noticed the melody. Awesome! :wub:

had the same with the fear factory track in carmageddon 2 :)

The first track on the Ephedrix 2008 album has a similar melody to astral projection's mahadeva

been reviewing this album @ this moment,

similar is subjective, borrowed is more a fact, wouldn't call it borrowed like the topic...

ok i found two tracks that sounded SIMILAR to the Sunhize track i mentioned above, tell me what you think

Flowjob - There's no business like flow business (2004 promo i reckon)

Flowjob - have fun and survive (2006 album)

jörg on mushroom - the messenger

I'm pretty sure these pianos are borrowed because they just sound so familiar, but I don't know where I know them from.;

someone?

don't know from where, but it's a common thing, with sphongle the same...

I don't mind, it fits well... they just make more goaish :D

don't know from where, but it's a common thing, with sphongle the same...

I don't mind, it fits well... they just make more goaish :D

yeah i don't care too because it is a great track, but I just want to know from where I know the original :wank: