Let's inject some music in this forum!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules like that are totally stupid, this shouldn't be some sort of exam, music is an art, allow them the freedom to use whatever brush they want -

Another idea is make a short peice using only one synth plugin, we can choose to use free ones if no one can agree on a synth everyone has.

Rules like that are totally stupid, this shouldn't be some sort of exam, music is an art, allow them the freedom to use whatever brush they want -

Well yeah, but the idea is to put constraints on yourself, and see what you can come up with. Otherwise, we're just making normal music, not 'themed' music.

Another idea is make a short peice using only one synth plugin, we can choose to use free ones if no one can agree on a synth everyone has.

This is not an exam, there is no jury that's going to give a mark to the song we create, I see it as an exercise to improve my skills. When I was learning improvisation on the saxophone, my teacher made me improvise first only with 2 notes, then 3, then 4, ... until I was comfortable enough to improvise on that scale, then moved on to another scale, ... Any musician will practice every day and do exercises ( scales, fingering technics, ... ). It's vain from your part to think this is stupid.

We allready had that, but it never started:

Synth 1 challenge

Hmm. Can we use vanguard to produce those sine waves or are we limited to samples only? I was thinking only using it's delay and arpeggio. No distortion or filtering or anything like that. By the way, is reverb allowed? What about percussion?

Ok nevermind that, I'll use fl studio's ts404's for the sines. I will have to use some eq & compression tho, all those sine's make a big mess in the mix. But I've allready made some kinda melody :)

**update**

I've finnished about a minute and 20 secs, and it sounds great so far. This is great training! Not only does it make you think more and be more creative, it's quite a challenge to make everything work together without the mix going all muddy & sounds overlapping. Next I'm trying to figure out how to emulate percussion with the sine waves, this will be a hard trick to do, but I'm up to the challenge! :)

I believe that the idea the tracks to be based in a certain theme would be much cooler than use specific sounds or waveforms IMO.

For example tracks based in a b-movie atmosphere, tribute to acid trance, opera psy etc. :)

I've gotten a little bit of a start on mine. One hard part is that I haven't been able to use some LFOs when I want, if the LFO doesn't provide a sine wave. Maybe that wouldn't matter, since it's not an audio source, but I figured I'd try to be a purist about it.

But this did give me a chance to delve more into the ring modulation and feedback on the PEK.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time limit? fuck that.

im releasing it when its done™ (© 3D Realms)

Well sure. It's a challenge, you know? See how good a piece you can come up with given a certain set of restrictions.

Whatever. I'm sticking to a month.

Is the idea still to make something using only sines?

Ah, if i had the time this would be fun.

I have something though but don't compete against it, its not using sine waves, rather saws, but its taken the concept of sines and oscillation and sort of weaved fractals of sines in the automation everywhere - inspired by sinewaves sure!

Oscillate

I regret that I didn't have much time to work on this. I think I only worked on it three different times. I had planned to develop it more, but as it is it's kind of boring.

http://www.veracohr.com/audio/Sines.mp3

Wow, it's actually quite interesting. Please finish it sometime, I like it.

Btw thanks for the comment Malevol3nt.