New to Psytrance

Krez

Hey all! Like the title says, I'm pretty new to the whole psychedelic trance genre; I just started really liking it a few months ago. I used to listen to a lot of junk electronic stuff like techno and hardstyle, but my older brother changed that when he introduced me to psy-trance. He gave me a lot of his collection, but the only artist that really stood out for me was Vibrasphere. There's something about them, their music is just so amazing and beautiful; I just can't stop listening to them. But before I listen to them too much and get bored, I'd like to expand my horizons and branch out into other good artists of their ilk. Is there anybody like them?

My problem is that I don't know the specific psytrance terms (being unfamiliar and all), so it's hard to describe exactly what I want. In particular, my favorite Vibrasphere songs are the heavily instrumental ones (especially ones with acoustic guitar or piano), songs like: Tierra Azul, Manzanilla, Mountain Lake, etc. That's not to say that the rest is bad, because I've yet to come across a bad Vibrasphere track, but those are definitely my favorite. I've also tried some other stuff, like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Antix, but none of them really appeal to me. I've gone through the reviews section of these forums and tried to find something I like. I didn't like Golden Vibes II and III, but I tried Cosmosis - Psychedelica Melodica and really liked it. I think what I'm looking for, and something I really like about Vibrasphere, is depth, variety, and melody. I've found that, at least for me, too many psy-trance artists are too shallow and lack a true melody or rhythm, basically, are too boring. Thanks for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it!

-Krez

Hey all! Like the title says, I'm pretty new to the whole psychedelic trance genre; I just started really liking it a few months ago. I used to listen to a lot of junk electronic stuff like techno and hardstyle, but my older brother changed that when he introduced me to psy-trance. He gave me a lot of his collection, but the only artist that really stood out for me was Vibrasphere. There's something about them, their music is just so amazing and beautiful; I just can't stop listening to them. But before I listen to them too much and get bored, I'd like to expand my horizons and branch out into other good artists of their ilk. Is there anybody like them?

My problem is that I don't know the specific psytrance terms (being unfamiliar and all), so it's hard to describe exactly what I want. In particular, my favorite Vibrasphere songs are the heavily instrumental ones (especially ones with acoustic guitar or piano), songs like: Tierra Azul, Manzanilla, Mountain Lake, etc. That's not to say that the rest is bad, because I've yet to come across a bad Vibrasphere track, but those are definitely my favorite. I've also tried some other stuff, like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Antix, but none of them really appeal to me. I've gone through the reviews section of these forums and tried to find something I like. I didn't like Golden Vibes II and III, but I tried Cosmosis - Psychedelica Melodica and really liked it. I think what I'm looking for, and something I really like about Vibrasphere, is depth, variety, and melody. I've found that, at least for me, too many psy-trance artists are too shallow and lack a true melody or rhythm, basically, are too boring. Thanks for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it!

-Krez

If you do't like Carbon Based Lifeforms, then you are welcome to go to hell :ph34r::lol:

If you like a particular artist then check out there earlier albums, though Cosmosis earlier albums differ quite alot from Psychedelia Melodica I would say. Vibrasphere is progressive trance, and those tracks you like as Mountain Lake, Tiearra Azul and so forth are considered to be "downtempo" or "chillout" or "ambient" tracks. Another song from Vibrasphere youa re going to love if "Forest Fuel" and also check out their compilation "Selected Downbeats". I'm not so much into Goa but check out Pleadians, Transwave, Jaia, I whink tou want old Goa if you are into melodies Then you might wanna check out "Freaked Frequency - FF Syndrome" that fits in the genre "fullon" wich people will hate you for liking on this forum.

Hmmm Younger brother albums maybe? Don't know why i get the feeling you will like it. But you're not looking for psytrance, your're asking for progressive trance and ambient that are melodious and deep... Maybe im not the right one to help you with that, just resently introduced myself for ambient.. I can tell you Androcell, Ott, Distant system and Solar fields is really working for me!

For progressive (like vibrasphere's faster music, eventhough NOTHING sounds like them) i can recommend you check out: Ace ventura-rebirth, Perfect stranger-changed, SunControlSpecies-Scienza Nuova, Matenda-Natural Development, Bitmonx Vs Dj Fabio-Plugged, Various Artists-Extrasensory Perception

All from last year, different types of progressive, find something you like and look around what the different labels are offering besides that!

Ambient wise I would recommend Galaxy - Science Of Ecstasy, and try Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies for a weirder journey ;) . Nuclear Ramjet - Mission To Sedna is also nice, combining Psy with Electro and Ambient.

Given that you also like Psychedelica Melodica, try perhaps Astrix - Eye To Eye (I hope I'm not confusing genres, been ages since I listened to it). Mystery/Secret Of The 13 Crystal Skulls, Alien Project also (earlier albums I think since now apparently it's sh*t - just talk with Damion (?) from psyreviews about it :D ).

It's difficult to recommend stuff in that sense because -personally- vibrasphere is difficult to top or equal. But basically, I would give Son Kite a go, the old stuff might appeal to you, Tegma as well, old and new... but mostly the newer stuff. Compilations, maybe Battle Royal (ZMA), stuff like metronome, heliotrope. I'm basically trying to mention music that made keep falling in love with psy trance when i was discovering vibrasphere back in the day and those names come up . I really liked Beat bizzare at that point as well, but is not what fits the vibrasphere profile.

Basically what i would recommend doing, is just exploring the labels of artists you like. In Vibrasphere's case Digital Structures has a very high standard and has released truly noteworthy releases through the years:

- Jaia - fiction

- the compilation Chillosophy 2-3 (this is very much in tune with vibrasphere downbeat material)

can't think of much else right now... something slightly newer might be... Flowjob but i frankly found it shallow and uninteresting (taste is taste).

Keep exploring and checking out compilations with names you know... who knows what you might find... rare gems and strange stuff that suddenly klicks and changes your musical inclinations all of a sudden. -

Here are some albums to try out (links are to a few of my reviews):

Antix - Twin Coast Discovery

BLT & Danny Makov - Anything U Want

Decoy - Not Responding To Light

Eat Static - In The Nude!

Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

Etnoscope - Drums From The Dawn Of Time

ITP - Lose Your Illusion

Jaia - Fiction

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

Kaya Project - Walking Through

Kiwa - Dreamtime Enhancer

Lunaspice - Reflexion

Magnetrixx - Wired

ManMadeMan - Free To Listen

Nuclear Ramjet - Mission To Sedna

Ott - Blumenkraft

Pitch Black - Rude Mechanicals

Principles Of Flight - Nighttime Melodies

Shulman - In Search Of A Meaningful Moment

Sound Field - Audio Surfin'

System 7 - Phoenix

Tegma - Around The World In 80 Minutes

Torakka - Far Out Express

Tranan - Restarter

Uni - Venus

Vishnudata - Dreamforce

These releases represent many different approaches to psytrance... if you like any of these come back and let us know (feedback will help others craft recommendations for your benefit)... one other thing to keep in mind is that exposure to new music often requires some time--plenty of music I enjoy now I didn't care for at all when I first heard it... so don't forget to return to highly recommended stuff once in a while--perhaps you'll "get it" later...

Whoa, forgive me if I feel a bit overwhelmed :lol: Too much music and too little time to listen!

What infected did you try? (very important question !) Because they made good music, but also loads of crap...

I'm not sure, I think my bro gave me their whole discography, all I did was shuffle and listen to random stuff. It's not all bad, I like the deeply disturbed song (especially the guitar parts). I don't know, I'll have to give them more time. I also re-looked into CBL and their World of Sleepers album, pretty good! I guess I was wrong about them earlier, it's funny how your taste can change after just a little while. Anyways, thanks a ton for all the suggestions, I guess I have a lot to listen to :)

hey krez!

Go slightly off psygenre and try Anders Ilar. Beautiful melodic stuff.

And as said earlier, Matenda's Natural Development is one not to miss.

As a third suggestion I give you Hiroshi Watanabe (Genesis album) aka Kaito (Hundred Million Light Years album). Easy to find albums are the ones under Kaito moniker on Kompakt label, and with little effort you can find albums under his own name on Klik Records catalogue.

All of the above have really melodic approach to music. And not just any meaningless synth stabs on top of each other but something that really sounds harmonic. :)

Thanks for the suggestions oopie! Anders Ilar's music on last.fm is pretty good, although a bit too minimalist for me. Would be nice for schoolwork and reading though. I don't know if this will help, but here's my last.fm profile so you guys can get an idea about other things I listen to.

http://www.last.fm/user/Krez99/

some of it is quite minimal indeed. don't be put off thou! try the "nightwidth" album it sure rocks my boat. :)

Here are some peaceful, melodic and beautiful Goa tracks and albums.

Albums

The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences

Etnica - Equator

Jaia - Blue Energy

Tracks

Noma - Another Time

N.D.M.A. - Vitan

Ra - Gates of Tiptareth

California Sushine - Rain

Hallucinogen - Angelic Particles

Mary Jane - Kairo

Transwave - Cycles of Life

Psytrance is so a varied genre that you just have to jump in and try lots of different stuff. As with most electronic music, your tastes will mature over time and you will find that some things you didn't like at first become classic while other stuff you liked at first isn't so special anymore.

For a quick exercise, I went to my psytrance collection and decided to pretend I had only a minute to grab twenty albums before I was stranded on a deserted island for the rest of my life. Following is what I ended up that covers quite a bit of territory. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

In alphabetical order:

1. AMD - Big Fish

2. Chakra & Edi Mis - The Promised Land

3. Dimension 5 - Transdimensional

4. V/A - Distance to Goa 4

5. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

6. Hallucinogen - Twisted

7. KoxBox - Dragon Tales

8. LSG - rendezvous in outer space

9. Logic Bomb - Sonic Algebra

10. MEEO - Highlight Me Please

11. Nervasystem and Aether - The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious

12. Nuclear Ramjet - Mission to Sedna

13. Pleiadians - Identified Flying Objects

14. Prana - Cyclone

15. OOOD - Free Range

16. V/A - Opus Iridium

17. Sattel Battle - Sounds Cool

18. V/A - Tantrance 6

19. Tandu - Multimoods

20. X-Dream - We Created Our Own Happiness

That's not even touching the downtempo side of things.

Here's some stuff that Youtube coughed up...

BLT & Danny Makov - The Calling:

Entheogenic - Pagan Dream Machine (Vibrasphere Remix):

Nuclear Ramjet - The Missing Moon:

Nuclear Ramjet - Mission To Sedna (Preface):

* be sure to click through the remaining chapters...

I would suggest you hunt down V.A - "Tantrance Vol. 1-8" for all the early stuff. THEN I'd suggest check out some of the early Full On, TIP World compilations (esp. Crystal Skulls series) as well as 3D Story (3D Vision - only the first one tho). I'd also suggest a look at Twist Dream and Opus Iridiuim.

Chillout wise I'd say go for Tribal Matrix (Dakini), Materia Musica (Ajana Records), Future Sound Theory 1 & 2 (Celestial Dragon), Liquid Soul Vibration (Liquid Records).

That's it to get you started.

Avoid most post 2004 stuff as there is to much crud and not enough good stuff worth wasting time hunting.

Avoid most post 2004 stuff as there is to much crud and not enough good stuff worth wasting time hunting.

That goes for post 1999 imo.

But there's very good stuff nowadays too. And if you keep getting recommendations, you don't have to hunt :)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, back again. This past month has been pretty hectic but I've still managed to get some music listening done. I've taken a look at everybody's suggestions here + a lot of popular stuff that everybody here seems to like too. I found a lot of good stuff, but unfortunately I just can't seem to find any artists I like nearly as much as Vibrasphere :(.

This is what I've listened to so far and what I rate them compared to good ol Vibrasphere:

Jaia- Fiction - 8

This was a good album. Very melodic and smooth, my only complaint is that it was too loungy (like those Cafe Del Mar compilations my bro listens to). Fave track was definitely Orchestra 2.0 (which is odd, considering people here think that was the worst track.)

Freaked Frequency - Ff Syndrome - 9

Absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. I've already listened to it many many times. However, it seemed to be, not sure how to describe this, too disorganized. The beats within the track aren't fluid enough, for example the "Say" track goes everywhere and from one melody to the next without any pause. Whatever. Probably just cause they're pretty new. Can't wait for more from them!

Shpongle - Are you Shpongled? - 6

:o I came into this expecting the best thing since sliced bread... How disappointing. Waaayyy too ambient and repetitive for my tastes. Only good track was the last one. I guess it's just not my cup of tea, maybe I just need to be stoned to actually enjoy it but I don't go there :P

Solar Fields - Blue Moon Station & Leaving Home - 6

Too ambient, no melodies or tunes, was just a bunch of noise for me. I listened to these two before Earthshine and was pretty let down considering how awesome their remix of Vibrasphere's "Baltic Resonance" in "Archipelago Remixed" was. However,

Solar Fields- Earthshine - 9.5

Was very good. Reminded me very much of Vibrasphere. Beautiful album. Please find me more like this!

Human Blue - Base Basket Buffet - 7

Was alright. Nothing special, not too bad. Fave track: "Lone Ranger"

Eat Static - Abduction & De-Classified - 7

A little bit too trippy, but still good.

VA & John 00 Fleming - Psy-Trance Euphoria - 7.5

Most of this is pretty good, almost borderline trance/dance. Fun to listen to.

Joey Fehrenbach - Mellowdrama - 8.5

Whoa. I'm surprised no one has ever talked about this here on these forums before. This guy put out one hell of an ambient album. Some say it's too cheesy, but I don't find it that way. Has anybody else listened to this? What do you think? Some really beautiful melodic ambient.

Access to Araska - Metax - 5

I was trying to broaden my mind and try out this album that was under this "Intelligent Dance Music" sub-genre (never heard of it before lol). IMO, not very intelligent. Metax was Greek to me. Just a bunch of noise.

Darshan - Awakening - 5

IMO, ugly and repetitive and never going anywhere.

Entheogenic - Flight of the Urubus - 7.5

This was pretty good. It got too loungish for me after a while though.

Younger Brother - A flock of bleeps - 6.5

Too many bleeps.

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden, The Path, & World of Sleepers - 8

Ambient, but good. WoS was definitely best.

Asura - Lost Eden - 6.5

Listened to this once a long time ago, all I remember was it wasn't much. Average.

Asura - Life Squared - 8

Epic and good.

VA - Opus Iridium - 7

Was alright, but too repetitive and boring.

Indoor - Progressive Trance - 7

Was alright, but too repetitive and boring.

Cosmosis - Trancendance - 6

Maybe I don't like this just because it's almost the same as their later "Psychedelica Melodica," except not as good.

Yeah that's seems about right. That's basically all the electronic music I've listened to in the past month. I hope I'm ticking anyone off because I gave their favorite album a bad rating (looking at you Shpongle fans :P). I'm beginning to think I'm just in the wrong genre of music, most of the stuff you guys rave about is stuff I don't like :(.

So, given what I've just posted, can yall recommend me any more stuff that I might like? I'm going to try to get the time to listen to the rest everyone's suggested, but I figured this post might narrow things down more. G'night and thanks for your help!

jesus fucking christ on a motoped you are going to hell son.

just for the shpongle comment you are doomed in purgatory, and bashing the awakening will get you on the lowest pits of hell.

Younger Brother - A flock of bleeps - 6.5

Too many bleeps.

That's just hilarious.

That Shpongle would be repetitive, I can't really see that...I think all Shpongle albums are very diverse and they don't have many dull moments in them in any at all.