Jikkenteki - Flights Of Infintiy (Par-2 Productions)

abasio

Posted Image

Jikkenteki

Flights of Infinity

Par-2 Productions

Tracklist

1 Symplicity (31:04)

2 A Bowl Gruel World (11:23)

3 The End Of The End (9:20)

4 Another Kick In The Head (9:41)

5 Running Start (11:02)

Jikkenteki is out with his second album. This was meant to be the 3rd CD to his debut The Long Walk Home but was not ready in time. There was a long wait as this took some time after being finished to actually make it out. The poor sales of Par-2 Records’ albums & comps amazes me as it is by far and away the best uptempo music in the scene today in the humble opinion of this reviewer. Better even than Gi’iwa, way better than Twisted & up there with Ultimae as one of the best labels around albeit a completely different style from Ultimae but you must get my point.

After The Long Walk Home there was a huge chance that I could be disappointed in this album. I was not expecting however for this to be so much better even than that album, which completely blew my mind. This album has not only blown my mind but my soul, spirit & even the wall of my very reality.

1. Symplicity

We kick off the album with a monster track over half an hour long. That’s longer than some albums. I have said many times that an artist with the talent to make long tracks and keep them interesting throughout the whole duration is pretty rare but when they do it it’s always something special. I was talking about 10-15 minute tracks but I was never expecting a trance track of over 30 minutes to be this good. I was sure it would get boring at some point but incredibly this track is the real deal. It is engrossing throughout. Maybe one of my favourites ever from Jikkenteki and I’m a fan.

It starts of with a nice downbeat intro for a few minutes, strings & orchestral sounds fill my senses for about the length of a track & then the beat kicks in with the bass & synths. The bass has a bit of a hiss when the beat is the main focal point but when the synths are flying they produce a clear crisp sound like a scythe cutting through my brain. The way the synths & the melody progresses in the early running is great & at times manages to sound like voices crying out from the void, from behind some invisible barrier yet sharp & piercing.

The atmosphere in this track is something else, the ambience in the background is floaty in really driving way, led by the beats & synths it gets under my skin & seeps into the inner reaches of my mind driving me slowly & deliciously insane.

Halfway through it breaks down with a melody more eastern in it feel yet glitch without the glitch. The beat kicks in a little darker with the melody continuing & the bass tearing through everything. Great synths once again scythe through everything like a hot knife through the butter that is the mind. The track with 10 minutes to go has another breakdown this time with a really spacey, meteor shower kind of feel to it. The beat gradually comes back in to a slipstream pace where everything just seems like it’s whizzing by at the speed of light. The beats, the synths, the melodies & the whole atmosphere of the track seems to me like a race in hyperspace with the wall s of reality rushing passed me tinged with a touch of sadness. I think it’s the melody at the end (I say the end but around 6 minutes to go) that puts me in mind of some of the losses I’ve had in my life. I’m not sure how it does this as it seems quite an upbeat one but it seems to have a melancholic edge that speaks to me. The ending really drives a stake into my already fragile heart.

I’m going to stick my neck out & say this is the best track of 2008. I really don’t see anything else beating it. It could possibly be one of the greatest tracks I’ve ever heard. It will need the test of time before I can commit myself to that but oh my god this is such amazing stuff.

2. A Bowl Gruel World

Starting off with my favourite sound, that of rain before the tune kicks in with a solid bass & chimes leading into a beat & more synths that cut my mind up like sushi chef. It was always going to be a hard act to follow coming straight after the insanely good Symplicity. But like Johnny Depp taking on Gene Wilder’s character of Willie Wonker in the remake of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory it doesn’t try too hard to imitate the role but instead makes itself a completely different story with the same seductive style. This track for me is a little more introspective, more melancholic & punches from the right whereas the previous music punched from the left. It feels more ethereal in it’s overall feel, with other dimensionally sounds & pitches coming from every direction & none at once. The build up & trance moments are great for the energy of the room. Not only is this a beautifully psychedelic ride that can be enjoyed alone at home but would be amazing at a party either 15 years ago or 100 years in the future. Really. Fucking. Good!

3. The End of the End

The growls linking the 2 tracks are almost scary & the atmosphere set by the drones & dark chords is well...dark. The orchestral feeling that follows on is great as the beat kicks in & the electronic sounds take over but the feeling is left in the auditorium with a huge open space to work with. The synth work is among the best I’ve heard form Rennis & that is saying quite a lot from the guy I hold up there with Technossomy as the best synth player I’ve ever heard. To be honest with this album I think Rennis may have even surpassed Technossomy not just in terms of output but in terms of brain cutting slices of acid that manage to cut deeper & deeper with every note. This is really really good, the pace the psychedelia, the energy so effortlessly released at every turn is so mind-blowing I struggle to fathom why other artists aren’t this good.

4. Another Kick In The Head

An effortlessly seamless drift into this track it seems like part of the same journey with a new companion to accompany me with. Once again the synths are in depth, playing a melody more engrossing than the trippy main melody. The floating ambience in this track surpasses everything I’ve heard before in upbeat trance. As journey like as any ambient I’ve heard yet as energetic as the most powerful rave tracks from back in the day. The psychedelic level is as high as it can be and I am left absolutely stunned that I am still totally enraptured by this amazing piece of audio art. The melodies seem to come out of nowhere from any direction each time catching me off guard in the most fantastic way. Bliss

5. Running Start

Our final chapter has a hell of a lot to do to close off such an amazing album & it starts it off in a dark way with strong sci-fi ambient bolts shooting down from the top. By the time the beat kicks in to break the ambience I am already completely lost. The glitch sci-fi noise has taken my brain into places it may never return. I’ve never been a fan of glitch static but this really floats my boat, sets it’s sail & then carries it out in the deepest parts of the ocean, moors it on an island of bronzed warrior women who make me their god & compel me to make love to them every night for the rest of my long happy life, interspersing these sessions with feasts & other musical & delightful entertainment. Sound good? Well it does to me & this track gives me the same vibe like I’m experiencing delight in aural form. Brilliant stuff to round off a brilliant album and I love the natural ending with the birdsong & the weird sounds of someone doing something very ordinary that manages to give a very very earthy feel.

I am completely amazed again by the brilliance of this album. I must say again that I am a big fan of Par-2 Production’s sound. I do feel like this label is just catering to me & me alone in that each release just brings me music that I wish everyone could make but so few do. I feel great knowing that other people out there have the exact same aural passions as me & the talent to create the music that does it justice. I am astounded as to how Jikkenteki is not a bigger name, people harp on about music not being psychedelic these days or how everything was better in the golden era of Goa & Psy but to my ears this album outshines most of the music even from the olden golden days of Dragonfly Records & the Flying Rhino boys.

Anyone complaining about the state of modern music really needs to hear this if not on original CD then at least on some lossless format. Anyone who listens to this on CD & doesn’t like it can feel free to never recommend me anything again as I am sure your taste is so far from my own that I would call it shit & never want to visit your house & hear your crap. :lol:

I am 95% sure that this album is going to be my top choice for top 2008 album. I’d love to be proved wrong & hear something even better but I will be amazed if it actually happens

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I love this 30min track. First off I didn't find it special but after a while it started really growing on me. I would say it's kinda repetetive but in a smart way not making it feel dull or boring. I almost never listen to psytrance anymore, there's no creativity left. This sounds original and unique to me. It's funny how free releases has been more in my playlists than retail ones this last year. An example is Nolax, Mindsphere great albums. I'm surely going to buy this next time I get money!

an amazing album indeed....

Another Kick In The Head is just flawless...magnificent piece of art ! this album is probably the most psychedelic psytrance that i've heard in past few years....

it's been a loooong time that i didn't have a psytrance in my top list !!!!! :posford:

Indeed I love this 30min track. First off I didn't find it special but after a while it started really growing on me. I would say it's kinda repetetive but in a smart way not making it feel dull or boring. I almost never listen to psytrance anymore, there's no creativity left. This sounds original and unique to me. It's funny how free releases has been more in my playlists than retail ones this last year. An example is Nolax, Mindsphere great albums. I'm surely going to buy this next time I get money!

Mindsphere is shit though. I'd really enjoy listening to toilet sounds more.

All because of the mastering. It's horrible.

Mindsphere is shit though. I'd really enjoy listening to toilet sounds more.

All because of the mastering. It's horrible.

You have to see past the layers hiding the truth! :wank: :rolleyes:

Awesome, awesome album!

I am really enjoying it!

You can see the link to the previous album. It could easily have been a 3rd CD...

but just like the rest of Jikkenteki's music, I can't really tell you anything about it.

It just sort of... moves around you, with you. Before you notice, 70 minutes have passed. And you hit play again.

It's just music that breathes with you. Organic, beautiful, nothing that could be easily explained.

Love it.

Awesome, awesome album!

I am really enjoying it!

You can see the link to the previous album. It could easily have been a 3rd CD...

but just like the rest of Jikkenteki's music, I can't really tell you anything about it.

It just sort of... moves around you, with you. Before you notice, 70 minutes have passed. And you hit play again.

It's just music that breathes with you. Organic, beautiful, nothing that could be easily explained.

Love it.

this man speaks the truth

Mindsphere? Indeed it does. I can't much get into it either... but this review is about Jikkenteki's Flights Of Infinity :) an excellent album that I have been very glad to promote far and wide. This album is captivating in a way that few other releases are these days. It isn't just old school revivalism--Jikkenteki has expanded upon classic themes and ideas in an original and refreshing way. Besides which, where else can you hear a trance song half an hour in length that never loses the plot? Flights Of Infinity is a strong argument for breaking down the creative restrictions inherent to the psychedelic trance marketplace. Flights Of Infinity is a great example of what is possible when a talented artist is free to explore their ideas without concern for commercial constraints.

In contrast to his very agreeable prices (!) the trick with Jikkenteki is that he doesn’t give anything away in his music. These tracks builds to a climatic end. One look at the setlist makes this painstakingly clear. 73 minutes of music spread over five tracks with opening track Simplicity clocking in at 31 minutes+. And that’s a new school psychedelic goa track, mind you. Quite a challenge to undertake.

So let’s jump right to that. Like I said Jikkenteki doesn’t give away his tracks. Simplicity is long and one I have to work with, but once onboard Jikkenteki’s 18-wheeler truck you are guaranteed a safe journey. At the same time, with 31 minutes to fuck around with there are ample of opportunities to offer some in your face psychedelia in amongst more trippy sections. And when Simplicity starts rewarding your patience from 26:07 tell me this part doesn’t deliver! Holy fuck, it’s a long ride but at the end of every rainbow shines a little goa trold, no?

Jikkenteki is even better, though, when he wraps things up in 10 minutes long journeys. Track two through five sticks closer to the goa recipe with a ton of melodies and an affection for psychedelic elements that suits these ears well. Clearly this is dance music but put on a good set of headphones and Jikkenteki will offer something for your mind too.

Another good album from Rennis.

• 2 months later...

JIKKENTEKI - FLIGHT OF INFINITY

PAR 2 PRODUCTIONS

Track list

1 Symplicity (31:04)

2 A Bowl Gruel World (11:24)

3 The End Of The End (9:21)

4 Another Kick In The Head (9:41)

5 Running Start (11:02)

Jikkenteki Flights Of Infinity is the follow up to one of the greatest Psy albums of recent memory. With the debut I assumed enough copies were sold for distribution to not be a problem here, but I have no idea why a label wouldn't want to release this thing. It's great! Maybe it's the five tracks thing, though one of the five tracks is epic, around thirty minutes long and well done from beginning to end. The first track could be equivalent to three songs (parts 1, 2 ,3 broken up with no second delay). It's cool that the artist left the opening track with epic length. Nonetheless, I generally prefer more tracks as opposed to one that has a general but very evolved, yes sound throughout. Nevertheless, the artist makes super worlds back-to-back, and I'll take five great, excellent and superb tracks over ten good and/or great ones any day.

1. Simplicity may just be the longest Psytrance song I have ever heard. I'm impressed that this artist can hold my attention, and make a song entertaining for 31 minutes! The first 5-6 or so minutes are more ambient/experimental-Psy, without much of a beat. This alone could have been an introductory track on the album, but the artist decided to build up to a massive, EPIC psytrance song. The song is great, if even it goes on for a bit longer than I would have preferred. The artist has not abandoned the wonderful melodies that made the debut so magical! B+

2. A Bowl Gruel World is refreshing compared to the previous number, where I was seldom tempted to skip to a fresh song because it was so long, although solid throughout. This number builds up into a adrenaline pumping, driving, and delectible, intricate beat and rhythm of strong and psychedelic melody work and sound. This track sounds either too short nor long and refreshing after the wonderful Long Way Home debut. A-

3. The End Of The End is excellent. This is one of the best tracks I have heard by this artist yet. The melody/sound and mixing work is amazing, intricately designed, and flavorful, melody-driven throughout. I have a feeling that there's deeper meaning to some of these track titles, or maybe they simply respresent the honest and direct titles. The song continuously bulds a speeding sound structure of infectous layers with layers. The development of sounds and little complimentary details doesn't sem to end until the track literally skips over into the next like a train off the rails. It was as if the artist created something too huge and sonic to retract its development to a peaceful conclusion. The intricately layered and infectious sound, style, and overall direction of Jikkenteki I find most dynamic, psychedelic, artistic, and over-the-top. This is one of the best Psytrance songs I have ever heard. A

4. Another Kick In The Head has a fresh, clear sound after the previous refreshment. Coupled with strong ambient notes and a subtle moody score, this follow up number seems to illicit more of an emotional or contemplative response that the prevous number focused less on to compensate for sheer power and intricacy. There is excellence to this track, although it doesn't seem to build up to a shining star; one could argue that the entire track is shining and doesn't need a climax and I'd agree. Nonetheless, I wasn't as riveted by this song as the prevous number, but it's still a great/excellent musical piece. A-

5. Running Start begins most experimental since the opening. Several minutes of ambient, industrialized atmosphere, and numerous other sounds take place. The beginning is slow, patient. It builds up into a fast and energetic, psychedelic number. The melodies are catchy and stacotto around the beat. In some ways this feels like a less drawn out epilogue, conclusion to the prologue, opening. The driving and dark style and aggression bulds strong as the song progresses. Overall I loved the final track on Jikkenteki's debut via the Psytrance CD. I found the final song on his prevous CD1 more infectious, colorful, characteristic, and effective than this final number. Nonetheless it's a strong and solid conclusion to one of the best, most underrated albums of the year. A-

In Conclusion, Jikkenteki kept and developed his great sound and Psytrance style from the debut. It's interesting that this album was finished back around late 2006 or early 2007. I thought that was closer to when the debut released! Flights of Infiinity breaks less ground than the first and innovates. I found the debut more refreshing; it stood out more because of the added Chill disc; this is a surprising gem nonetheless. I really miss a follow up to the wonderful PSY experimental, ambient and downtempo CD that the helped the double CD debut get higher praise and notice than this one. More numbers in the track list generally attract more people. This sequel may appear "less than" the debut due to the lengthy, opening track. The first song is epic, though very ambitious, evolving, and well done. More variety would have been preferred this time around, more tracks. But the handful here are all quite strong and memorable. At least two songs here are some of the best Psytrance numbers of 2008. It's very cool that this talented artist continues to compose wonderful music and it's pretty impressive that he's shared this with us for free. :)

Favorite Tracks - 2, 3, 4, 5

A-

Update: Buy it here for only $10.

http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00ZDV896

Jikkentekki releases a solid sequel to one of the greatest PSY albums of recent memory and no one will release it?! With the debut I assumed enough copies were sold for distribution to not be a problem here, but I don't know all the in's and out's. Anyway I noticed there are only 5 tracks initially. But the first track is as long as at least three. The general tracks are Psytrance on Flights Of Infinity. I think many people are unaware of this "free release" because it isn't in the review section.

More numbers in the track list generally attract more people. This sequel may appear "less than" the debut due to the lengthy, opening track. The first song is epic, though very ambitious, evolving, and well done.

This confuses me, is this not the review thread for this album? :lol:

also I am usually more attracted to albums with less tracks thinking they will be long tracks & when an artist has the talent like Jikkenteki does, to make lengthy tracks that stay interesting my interest is always peaked. I have no idea who else feels the same way as me though.

Still loving this, like the debut it just doesn't seem to get old :D

Oh & the CD version is :wub:

Quick note on Jon Cocco's review (thanks, to everyone of course),

The correct url for the free version is http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/jikken...ts-of-infinity/

both mp3 and wav versions are available there (or contact me directly for actual cds... :) The link Jon Cocco listed will actually be more than $10 due to shipping )

Jon notes that he's missing the more freestyle type of stuff from disc one of Long Walk, well then the next album should be right up your alley. Still need to write two or three more tracks for it though...

Also it's Jikkenteki, not JikkentekKi :P

Yes, I was editing my review over yesterday and today. And today, listening to the album again. I originally wrote and posted the review above prior to their being an actual review thread and posted it in the music promotion section, or one of those other forums. I should have just opened a fresh review thread. Anyway, I found this review thread yesterday and realized I never added mine. And thanks, I updated the review on this page to compensate for being in the proper section. ;)

What's the difference between the CD version and the free download?

Also it's Jikkenteki, not JikkentekKi :P

Right, of course. Jikkenteki. :)

also I am usually more attracted to albums with less tracks thinking they will be long tracks & when an artist has the talent like Jikkenteki does, to make lengthy tracks that stay interesting my interest is always peaked. I have no idea who else feels the same way as me though.

Still loving this, like the debut it just doesn't seem to get old :D

i think most (read all) ambient lovers ^_^

Nothing musically I suppose but I had this album on mp3 for ages before I got the CD. I liked the mp3 but I loved the CD :ph34r:

i think most (read all) ambient lovers ^_^

Ah yes! :)

Music-wise nothing, but better quality printing for the inserts, which are also personally signed numbered by the artist and warm happy feeling of helping PAR-2 get out of thousands dollars of printing debt one disc at a time? Anyone....anyone?... oh well, I didn't think so but it was worth a shot... :P

For the record, with shipping and all it is also probably cheaper for most people to buy the CDs directly from me than the link Jon Cocco listed in his review and on Ekto's page (directly from me the cost is $10 including shipping). PM me directly for details on the direct sale if interested.

• 1 month later...

i dont understand whats all the fuss about it, yeah lots of creativity, but i could have heard thats quality sound and production in 1998

so... its a no for me, yes really interesting, driving melodies, but too repetitve and shitty sound, i really dont understand the taste of people hear, the cd i find good, mostly everyone dont like it, and this people like, well if your fine, its good yes, but i mean, NOTHING NEW HERE!

AND ABASIO, MOSTLY ALL THE CDS YOUR REVIEWD, I HATED IT

so you wouldnt come to my house because i wouldnt invite you in my house, even if i would like jikkenteki

you don't even like simon posford,

really we differ in taste, some people are more metallica others are more aerosmith

im more psychadelics, your more commercial

i really tried to listen to it, i talked about it with my friends, and really, we dont like it

Anyone who listens to this on CD & doesn’t like it can feel free to never recommend me anything again as I am sure your taste is so far from my own that I would call it shit & never want to visit your house & hear your crap.

How can you write that???? just tell me why???? cause really, it feel so pretentious, i feel i know you more than you do, hahahaha

really, tons of your reviews stuff you loved i dont like, stuff i like you dont, and stuff completely forgettable, you says its good

yes your reviews are well written, but fuck, i rather read some good cds reviews but not well written, then shitty cds, well written and good cds not well reviewd by you

listen to rock or folk cause what you say about jikkenteki its scary for the psyfans, jikkentenki sounds like a kellogs surprise compared to anything that posford touched. puff dragon shouldnt even exist, but you say its a good realease

really start listening to other styles, grab a guitar, youll feel alive