6. Daisy Chain

7. Between the notes

8. Mean Green Monster Machine

9. Firecracker

10. Make it look like an accident

11. Fry

12. Mothership

13. Walking On Sunshine

As some of you may have gathered by now, I do enjoy my funky music. When I´m not on drugs, music with a funky vibe to it is usually the only kind that really makes me want to get up and dance like a fool to.

Haltya´s last album was a perfect example of that kind of music: trance beats with REAL funk and jazz elements to it. I loved it.

Book of Nature however, goes waaay beyond that album and is really a rather amazing achievement if you ask me. There are still the elements of their trance beats with lots of live funkyness over the top, but this time you have a whole bunch of different genres thrown in on top, all blended together with such crazyness that you often have to stop and ask yourself: What the fuck am I listening to here?? The whole album is absolute madness and very, very weird from start to finish. It has so many twists and turns in it and so much great experimentation you can never know what to expect next. Which is precisely why I love it. So nice to hear something this FRESH sounding :D

To me it sounds like what might happen if Merv Pepler, Raja Ram and Mr Scruff teamed up to write an album and took waaaay too much amphetamine and LSD in the process. Whilst it always keeps very funky beats throughout, it can get rather intense at times with so many strange noises going on that you feel like your brain might explode, which gives the album a great juxtoposition of being so funky that it makes you want to dance like a lunatic and yet being so strange that you almost can´t dance to it. That´s about as far as I can go to describing this somewhat undescribeable music methinks, you´ll just have to buy the album and listen for yourself if you wan´t a better idea of what it´s like. Trust me, I very much doubt you´ll regret it.

Favourites: 2 (!ooh yeah, what an opener), 3, 5 (now this is twisted jazz...), 6, 8 (wtf???!!), Fry (!!), 12 (the ending to this one is just :blink:), 13.

Score: 9/10

Good job reviewing this album :) Must have bin difficult, since you can't compare it with anything or even tell what it is... But one thing is for shure, it's insanely good! Groovy, funky, trippy, funny and danceable!

Wont rate it, since i can't compare it to anything ells.. If i have to it must be a 10/10 caus this is just amazing to listen to

• 1 month later...

Great album indeed although it can never top Forest Flavour :P

i disagree, although there are some very good tracks on forest flavour..

this album is more consistant and has an even more mature sound to it...it clearly is a very carefully thought out album...

probably due to the fact all the tracks are done by tommi

one of the very few albums you can call an album :)

this album is the most fun album i ever heard

very groovy and funky, and original of course.

im in love with it.

this is one of the only albums in this forum that u can actually hear it once and love it.

very unique album, recommended

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i got another opinion now...

i realy, realy like funkieness, and groovy albums...

but... there is a problem with groovy albums...

the problem is that they can't stand the test of time...

as groovy as the album is, as shorter his life is...

if the album is more funky, I would like it at first, in very high levels...

but in two weeks it would leave dust on my shelf...

this is a problem, and thats the reason why from now on, i don't buy anymore groovy albums...

anyway, the album is good... i don't like it like i did at the first listens, but i like mean green monster theme, and also fry... two great tracks... thats realy suck that i cant enjoy them now...

ok, so i got another opinion now...

i realy, realy like funkieness, and groovy albums...

but... there is a problem with groovy albums...

the problem is that they can't stand the test of time...

as groovy as the album is, as shorter his life is...

if the album is more funky, I would like it at first, in very high levels...

but in two weeks it would leave dust on my shelf...

this is a problem, and thats the reason why from now on, i don't buy anymore groovy albums...

anyway, the album is good... i don't like it like i did at the first listens, but i like mean green monster theme, and also fry... two great tracks... thats realy suck that i cant enjoy them now...

etnica - juggling alchemists under the blacklight , transwave, blue planet corporation also stay on my shelf gathering dust, playtime once or less then once a year now...

Isn't really because of the groove imo...

Probably taste too, because I can still play my best suomi and it stays quit fresh...

• 2 weeks later...

Not keen at all on this one, got this with Infected Mushroom-the gathering and infected pisses all over it.

I know im new 2 the scene but i like what i like and i dont think after 3 plays ill be getting this out in a hurry.

Sorry

3/10

Not keen at all on this one, got this with Infected Mushroom-the gathering and infected pisses all over it.

I know im new 2 the scene but i like what i like and i dont think after 3 plays ill be getting this out in a hurry.

Sorry

3/10

Comparing infected mushroom and haltya is simply plain stupid if you ask me,they are diffrent

in any way youll look at it.

i like haltya new album,havnet digested it like i should,but i like it,it's a short funky,happy,psychedelic trip...

i wished it was a litle longer.

Comparing infected mushroom and haltya is simply plain stupid if you ask me,they are diffrent

in any way youll look at it.

i like haltya new album,havnet digested it like i should,but i like it,it's a short funky,happy,psychedelic trip...

i wished it was a litle longer.

sorry dude differnet or not i think the Haltya album is pretty shit.

Down to personal preference isnt it? Im finding my feet in this genre and i am getting a feel of what i like now. Ok you guys know what you talking about but my comparison was based on that i got both albums the same time. Im far from stupid mate.

Last i saw of the Haltya cd i had my coffee cup on it ;)

• 10 months later...

Haltya - Book Of Nature (Exogenic) 2008

For this 3rd Haltya's album ''Book Of Nature'', Tommi Sirkiä, aka Justin Space, Pelinpala, has produced alone (without Jürgen Sachau, aka Outolintu, busy on his side with his solo debut album released in 2007).

Known as a Funkadelik & trancey act, Haltya delivers fresh, melodic, happy dancefloor music ; this new opus is nevertheless the opportunity of integrating a wider range of musical influences.

If you're fond of Haltya, you'll enjoy for sure the artwork which follows perfectly the style exposed since the first album made of forest elements with elves playing music more or less hidden in this nature.

Tracklisting:

1. Nature's Secret

2. Rainbow Funkster

3. Finny Funny Finished

4. Kawaii Bushido

5. Borboleta Purpura

6. Daisy Chain

7. Between the notes

8. Mean Green Monster Machine

9. Firecracker

10. Make it look like an accident

11. Fry

12. Mothership

13. Walking On Sunshine

Track 1 is just a quick spoken intro of the album, the music really starts with next track smile.gif .

2 => We've got typical Funkadelik music here : bouncy, bracing with some funny sounds embellishing the whole & a nice deep purring bassline. The rhythmic is somehow sounding Tribal-Housey to me in a midtempo mode.

3 => We gain in speed now , still Funkadelik but with a robotic break from 3''00. The atmosphere is more shaking with a more classical rhythmic.

Track 4 is an experimental transition (which indeed announces a style evolution or the next song wink.gif ).

5 => Borboleta Purpura is an alchemy of 2 main influences : Samba & Jazz, the whole packed with Suomi spirit. Concretely, the rhythmic is definitively Brazilian. The piano's melody is at first in Samba mode but the second time is Jazzy & finally comes back in its initial way. The bass resonates Jazzy all along. Remain a flood of tones which are common to Suomisound, . The result is unexpected but truly a success.

6 => I need to use my 'Jump o' meter' tool to measure the amplitude of the groove in Daisy Chain : Daisy my little froggie (represented in the top left on the cover of the album). According to Daisy wearing a big smile & climbing at the top of its ladder, all sounds very good biggrin.gif . But beware the song could reveal also an aquatic & mischievous universe...

Like every 2 songs, now you understood that ... No... it's not the time to go pissing, at least not yet!

It's another sonic transition, weirder & longer than previous one & it's highly probable that the musical direction (clue) will evolve again.

8 => Orchestral opening for Mean Green Monster Machine, which doesn't constitutes not the more classical influenced production but the more psychedelic stuff of the album. Sometimes the orchestral pattern can occur again, in an impromptu way.

Question: Is there still a slice of Funk here?

Reflexion:...hum...

Answer: no slices of Funk as it was eaten by the Mean Green Monster Machine.

Indeed the atmosphere is like being inside a factory with an all robotized equipment & no single presence of human beings, you visit the different parts of the factory with different machines.

9 => We're keep going on Psychedelic but back in Suomisound & spirit. Firecracker is a short tune, very happy & raving. There's something of a Japanese video game musical thema, with peaceful, amusing sides & some rush/tense periods.

Do i really need to introduce this new transition track?

I will only mention a sample sound, which is normally famous to every Psytrance fans who respects himself, the grinding door, that our dear beloved GMS (Shrek tune) have contributed to its notoriety.

11 => Question (from the same person about T8) : It's 2 tracks without any Funk inside, how about this one?

Let's simply say about Make it look like an accident, it's the Funkadelic climax of this album, a fast vigorous, nervous tune with a catchy melody & an avalanche of tones under which you're tottering.

12 => We're going fatter now & the bassline is still nervous. There's a freak atmosphere starting with the break at 3'40 & progressing up to a strong level of musical rave standing. Hopefully the last 1''30 comes back to 'normal'.

13 => A fat production again, that i'd qualify Funky-Jazzy. I enjoy especially how Haltya proceeds here to escape from the break thanks to the creeping bass. The final apotheosis consists in a multi-layered melodic part, a thick one biggrin.gif.

If you're already an Haltya's fan, this new album is for you without any restrictions.

For the others, if you're into melodic psychedelic music or have nothing against Funk & Suomisound:

Go,Go,Go, Try it,

Buy It,

Enjoy it!

Mark : 9/10

Recommended

• 4 months later...

Well this is the first time I've heard suomisaundi. It sounds... like the funky parts of Infected mushroom-dancing with kadafi, and maybe some of the parts of classical mushroom or funchmelon. Very impressive how together it sounds, some of the outros seem to be sortof straight forward housey which is weird though. Who is going to be mixing this!? Very impressive how together it sounds yet weird and random. Would highly recomend as a start to the genre, mostly cos I liked it and I don't know any better!

8/10

Well this is the first time I've heard suomisaundi. It sounds... like the funky parts of Infected mushroom-dancing with kadafi, and maybe some of the parts of classical mushroom or funchmelon. Very impressive how together it sounds, some of the outros seem to be sortof straight forward housey which is weird though. Who is going to be mixing this!? Very impressive how together it sounds yet weird and random. Would highly recomend as a start to the genre, mostly cos I liked it and I don't know any better!

8/10

hi mate. i love this album...very freethinking. funky beats with forest flavor unlike that of the "WALDFREIDEN" style. but you should checkout...fragletrollet, ozmali,EvsY, vishnudata,kiwa and troll scientists for more finnish eclectic weirdness that's unashamed to be an excellent earcandy at the same time.\m/\m/\m/

hi mate. i love this album...very freethinking. funky beats with forest flavor unlike that of the "WALDFREIDEN" style. but you should checkout...fragletrollet, ozmali,EvsY, vishnudata,kiwa and troll scientists for more finnish eclectic weirdness that's unashamed to be an excellent earcandy at the same time.\m/\m/\m/

well..fragletrollet is scando...and ozmali is dutch...but they still signify the wicked forest sounds.