Keeping your equipment clean.

I am a pretty laid back person, but when it comes to my music equipment I am a clean freak (or I try to be). Usually before I even touch my road case I wash my hands thoroughly and sometimes take a shower.... Well, usually only at the end of the day when I plan on taking a shower anyways. Other than that I always keep my things covered up and dust/ scrub keys, knobs, faders etc once in awhile. What about everyone else? If you do like to keep your things dust, smudge, and grease free how to you manage?

Gah, I wish I had an air purifier. I have two small dogs that shed a bit on top of their dander, tons of cables and things running all over my room that make it impossible to dust, and my skin is pretty damn dry because I hate lotion and use cheap ass soap. I can run my finger across anything in my room and make trails ; ;.... I need to see about putting some cotton balls or something under my faders and kill switches on my mixer. A few days ago I pulled the face plate off and there was dust and bits of fuzz on the little provided dust catcher. Not too worried about everything else though; I leave my midi keyboards in their boxes and my speakers have blankets over the top of them when they're not in use.... Anyone know what happens when dust builds up inside a speaker? I would think it would all be blown out, but could it affect performance over time? Probably wouldn't be noticeable I guess.

I'm very anal about keeping my equipment clean & dust free. I had a tailor sew together special dust covers that fit all my equipment perfectly, such as monitors, pc etc. Then i throw an additional blanket on top of everything when it's not in use.

I have ionization device (air-purifier) and a simple duster..

An ionizer will actually make things more dusty. The point of an ionizer is to cause dust particles in the air to be attracted to surfaces. Good for breathing, not for clean surfaces.

I'm not a particularly clean person. I have a cover for my keyboard because my cat walks on it all the time, and that's it. I asked my mom to sew me a cover for it once because I was going to be in town, and she ended up using the most horrid flourescent multi-colored fabric, like the stuff really ugly pants that were supposed to be "hip" were made of in the 80s. I'm not sure if she actually thought it was cool, or just thought "finally I can get rid of this crap fabric!" You can help but think "radical, dude!" when you see it. :ph34r:

An ionizer will actually make things more dusty. The point of an ionizer is to cause dust particles in the air to be attracted to surfaces. Good for breathing, not for clean surfaces.

Indeed, your right.. I drag dust to my speakers (everything is covered with dust mostly) and then sweep it with duster.. Actually ionizer attracts everything bad from the air and most of the dirt stays on the metal plates, its like a filter which u clean once in a month.. But yeah, lots of dust gets attracted to the surrounding place around ionizer.. But its just a half meter or so..

And ionizer adds noise in your room.. Its a sound of electronic wind specific to such devices, since it doesn't use fan for circling the air but electronic needles which move ionized air..