How to start?

Hey Lads,

well, i'm from Germany and play guitar and bass for about 7 years, thus i got a sense for melody, rhythm and i got many ideas flying around in my head.

The problem is... i don't know how to start. I got some samples and some VST's (i'm using Ableton Live).

I just created a boring beat...should i first let record that thing for about 2 or 3 minutes and then post arranging some things. I try to make it visual ;)

1. |--------------------------------|

2. |-----------xxXX---|....|--YYY---xxXX!!!!|

3. Intro|----xxXX---XXxx---YY---|....|--YYY--XXX---xxXX!!!!----|Outro

etcpp. The letters just stand for any kind of modification

Or do you just build up slowly like this:

1. |---|

2. |------X-|

3. |------XyyyX...|

etcpp..

Sorry if it is a dumb basic question, but i just don't get it here on myself.

By the way...any hint for me, how to create a kinda smooth bassline like 1200microg. on Heroes of imagination?

Thank you very much!

Hey Lads,

well, i'm from Germany and play guitar and bass for about 7 years, thus i got a sense for melody, rhythm and i got many ideas flying around in my head.

The problem is... i don't know how to start. I got some samples and some VST's (i'm using Ableton Live).

I just created a boring beat...should i first let record that thing for about 2 or 3 minutes and then post arranging some things. I try to make it visual ;)

1. |--------------------------------|

2. |-----------xxXX---|....|--YYY---xxXX!!!!|

3. Intro|----xxXX---XXxx---YY---|....|--YYY--XXX---xxXX!!!!----|Outro

etcpp. The letters just stand for any kind of modification

Or do you just build up slowly like this:

1. |---|

2. |------X-|

3. |------XyyyX...|

etcpp..

Sorry if it is a dumb basic question, but i just don't get it here on myself.

By the way...any hint for me, how to create a kinda smooth bassline like 1200microg. on Heroes of imagination?

Thank you very much!

both ways are good, just do which ever way you prefer :)

I prefer doing the second method you mentioned because with the first method i get very bored of the drums/bassline when there is no melody on it, so i first create bits of melody, try to put them together, add bassline/drums, etc...

Anything that works for you is good!

The not so secret secret is that you need to have a good equalizer and know how to use it, after that maybe a compressor can help out + knowing exactly how to program your bass synth. If you want to sound like everyone else and 95% of psytrance out there (please don't) use VB-1, if you want better basslines that can do more than sound like smooth black rubber, grab Muon Tau 2, its what I use.

The not so secret secret is that you need to have a good equalizer and know how to use it, after that maybe a compressor can help out + knowing exactly how to program your bass synth. If you want to sound like everyone else and 95% of psytrance out there (please don't) use VB-1, if you want better basslines that can do more than sound like smooth black rubber, grab Muon Tau 2, its what I use.

You could use pretty much any synth. VB-1 is not very flexible, so I suggest using a real synth. A simple saw wave with sharp attack and short release. A pattern that goes something like this:

bbBbbbBbbbBbbbBb

KoooKoooKoooKooo

(b is lower octave bass note, B is higher; K is kick drum, o is nothing).

Sidechain the bass to the kick, or just automate the volume of the bass so that it's almost silent when the kick hits. The first b on every beat should barely be heard.

Alien303 is very nice too

i start with my kick loop it over a 16th note. get it sounding nice, then i add the bass. come up with a funky bass line. i like k-b-k-b- sound then add some more bass later in the track like k-b-k-b-k-b-k-bb or k-b-k-bbk-b-k-bb. i like it clear and simple(only coz when i make a full-on sound im never happy with it). get the bass sounding perfect eq it etc. but dont listen to it for to long work in short burst with the bass other wise you will end up hating it.

next i come up with the snare and hi-hats.

from there its time to get some lead sounds in. thats when i start to have trouble. i play around with this for a long time till i get some loops that sound cool together then i arrange them and slowly bring the leads in in different ways.

i usally get this far then end up hating it and move on to a new song. i realy should go back and finish all those songs....

If you want to sound like everyone else and 95% of psytrance out there (please don't) use VB-1,

anyone use vb-1 on a mac?? i cant seem to get it working in cubase :angry:

but maybe thats a good thing, but im still interested i having a look at it

To get the stereotypical psy bassline you don't need no fancy VB-1. Just put in a line of kicks and make the volume of every 4th kick twice the volume of all the over kicks. Also these full volume kicks should have a higher pitch, do this and you'll get the typical psy bassline.

off topic: why does every psy track have the same 'ol tired bassline?

anyone use vb-1 on a mac?? i cant seem to get it working in cubase :angry:

but maybe thats a good thing, but im still interested i having a look at it

I use it on my mac. no problem. It works a charm if you got the right eq and compression going. Also adding a bit of overdrive can be nice at times - or just running it through Camel Crusher