Telling a story, or poor track selection?

So I threw this set together a few days ago for a little party that's coming up and I was wondering, if the DJ went from euphoric progressive into a bit of a dark funky track would you consider it "story telling" or poor track selection? I have practiced mixing through the entire set a few times and weeded out the tracks that just don't work no matter how they're mixed, but theres a few spots where the change of mood is a bit odd. I figure that in one hand it could be a good thing.... Keep people on their feet and maybe even send a few shivers down their spines, but in the other hand the cuts might be a bit too much; they're smooth and simple mixes, but it's a drastic colour change at times....

Heres the tracklist~ Opinions and feedback much appreciated~.

1) Vibrasphere- Buenos Aires (selected downbeats)

2) Tegma- Computer Disorder (Lo-fi adventures)

3) Beat Generation- The Grudge (VA)

4) Tegma- What the Fuzz (Lo-Fi adventures)

5) Kimiks- Snow View (VA)

6) Kimiks- Diaz De XL (VA)

7) Tegma- In All Ears (Lo-fi adventures)

8) Tegma- East Block (Lo-fi adventures)

9) Kimiks- Sense (VA)

10) Psylent Conspiracy- Living Organism (VA)

11) Beat Generation- Good Old Shibuya (VA)

12) Psycho Navigation System- Just a Dream (VA)

13) Dominix- Human Life (Dominix)

14) Insomnia- Rational Vision (Roller Coaster)

15) Breaking News- Stereo Junkies (VA)

16) World Vision- Color Funky Tone (VA)

17) Climate Change- Bring It Back (VA)

18) Bliss- Blisster (The Looney Bin)

19)Conundrum- Chaos (VA)

20) Ahimsa Part 2- Boiling (VA)

21) Sound Waves- El Fauna (VA)

22) Inner Action- The Future Is Now (VA)

23) Inner Action- Blast (VA)

24) Poli- Humanoid Typhoon (Electric Wonders)

25) Melicia- Suenos (Play With My Mind)

26) Melicia- Magic Stick (Play With My Mind)

27) Protoculture- Break out (Circadians)

28) Perplex- Wise Cracks Remix (Electrodelic)

29) Protoculture- Sweet Fine Crystaline (Circadians)

30) Climate Change- Tune Tech (VA)

31) Ahimsa Part 2- Mr. Mika (VA)

32) Insomnia- 24.7 (Rollercoaster)

33) Dominix- Musical Alarm (Dominix)

34) Bliss- Loin King RMX (The Looney Bin)

35) Bliss- Syner Bee (The Looney Bin)

36) Abomination- Planet X (Planet X)

37) Frozen Ghost- Multiprey (Edible Technique)

38) Ram- Serial Killer (Matsuri)

39) Barak- The Desert Moon Mystery (Twilight Cave)

40) Barak- Castle Freak (Twilight Cave)

41) Dark Side of the Mind- Gate For Hate (VA)

42) Ahimsa Part 1- Re-Stimulated RMX (VA)

43) Ahimsa Part 1- Re-Activate (VA)

44) Frozen Ghost- Deranged (edible Technique)

45) Deep Fried- Electro Undulation (VA)

46) Frozen Ghost- Mentally Squared (Edible Technique)

47) Ministry of Chaos- Malediction (VA)

48) Tryambaka- Blender (The Colour of Time)

49) Collapsed Generation- Sin Stereo remix (VA)

50) Tryambaka- Sympathy for the Parents (The Colour of Time)

51) Collapsed Generation- Kinho's Hallucination (VA)

52) Deep Fried- Rajasthan Army (VA)

53) Ahimsa part 1- Metal on Metal (VA)

I do not know all the tracks but it looks like your set there will have a nice progression....

Ah yeah, I didn't expect you guys to know them all :lol:. Do you think jumping from progressive to kind of.... Funky groove stuff would be awkward? I'll have to get this recorded soon and post it in DJ promotion.

I just went through the set again and I am pretty happy with it, but for future reference would you guys wonder what the hell is wrong with the DJ if he/she went from euphoric progressive to something as drastic as full-on/dark psy? Or would you just shrug it off and consider it "story telling," especially if the mix was smooth and felt all right?

I just went through the set again and I am pretty happy with it, but for future reference would you guys wonder what the hell is wrong with the DJ if he/she went from euphoric progressive to something as drastic as full-on/dark psy? Or would you just shrug it off and consider it "story telling," especially if the mix was smooth and felt all right?

Depends how snobby your crowd is I guess. When I DJ it tends to go all over the place, often starting tech, then going prog, then funk, then straight up full on, and possibly ending with some goa goodies, but usually it goes over well and if you find some good transition pieces across sub-genres it doesn't really seem all that weird.

Depends how snobby your crowd is I guess. When I DJ it tends to go all over the place, often starting tech, then going prog, then funk, then straight up full on, and possibly ending with some goa goodies, but usually it goes over well and if you find some good transition pieces across sub-genres it doesn't really seem all that weird.

Sounds good enough for me :]. Thanks~.

Changing styles has to be done well if it is done quickly otherwise I find it very annoying. Its better to progress slowly then to jump from one to the other imho. But if done well its very nice. So i normally wouldnt change style quickly if i wasnt very sure about the transition.

Your mixing style is a tool, just like your track selection. Long, drawn out mixing are excellent for setting atmosphere, and building intensitiy. Quick change ups aren't necessarily something to be feared, because they offer a more dramatic dynamic. I think changing your mixing style thru a set can also enhance the story telling, and can be used separetly, or in tandem with a musical style change. If you are going to make an abrupt change, I think you should have already laid down a good foundation. It has to make sense in the theme, if you ask me. A quick change up is good when you can do ith without a 'hole' happening in the sound. I hope I'm conveying the idea adequately.

Your mixing style is a tool, just like your track selection. Long, drawn out mixing are excellent for setting atmosphere, and building intensitiy. Quick change ups aren't necessarily something to be feared, because they offer a more dramatic dynamic. I think changing your mixing style thru a set can also enhance the story telling, and can be used separetly, or in tandem with a musical style change. If you are going to make an abrupt change, I think you should have already laid down a good foundation. It has to make sense in the theme, if you ask me. A quick change up is good when you can do ith without a 'hole' happening in the sound. I hope I'm conveying the idea adequately.

Nah, I get you. Well put :].