Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygen Live

Drosophila

Just have to share this wonderful experience!!

tonight I went to see JMJ play his masterpiece Oxygen in a "re-make" on the original old analog synthesizers and equipment (from the when it was first made, one device was from the 1920ies). There were three other guys playing as well, building the musical skeleton, while Jarre was doing his thing, all the guys were freaking awesome :P

The original piece is around 38 min but this performance lasted around 1½h, so a lot of new thing were added, but amazingly well kept in the old warm frame work. Some really really psychedelic stuff, just blew my mind! So great to see that the old synth master is going back to the roots, and shares his talent of taming these analog "beats". I have heard some talk about he will be doing a new album in the this vain as well. I guess he fell in love with old ladies once again (hopes for something magical!)

The sound was out of this world, there is something so very unique about these analog creatures , that makes them more alive than most electronic music (I have heard). It's just so warm and textured. The man is a genius, and his instrument was made by geniuses! I really can't say enough praise! I wish u all could have heard it!!!!

my friend uploaded a clip on utube, not the most trippish of tracks (part 4).... but just to give u an idea about the setup :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBnmCdEqJSM

ED: the video is a bit blurry.. sorry about that. But the sound quality is at least good ;) We didn't have front rove seat (to say the least).

You saw it LIVE?

You bastard :D

I only had the joy to view it in the cinema (the "Oxygene - Live In Your Living Room"-DVD ... which had the same material you saw (I'm sure, I recognized the exact song in the video you posted - also with the same bassline different to the original one from back then) and also shows them playing live) ... but that was good aswell - 3D image, dolby surround, comfy seats ... you know, in the film you definitely also get a better view of the equipment than if you just sit in front of a stage, which makes it a bit up for the "not live" thing :)

I'd love to have it seen totally live ... but well, it was the best I could get.

Still, I will definitely catch this guy live one day, I'm sure.

Glad you liked the performance :)

Did he use this odd little desk-like thing with an antenna on it aswell? And the stick synth that he grabs like a guitar?

Great ! Shame cause video is not much longer, cause it really looks great. And you were right, he kept his original atmospheres and sounds. That is really a treat to hear one of the masters performing live his best album. Do you by any chance have more recorded ? :D

Great ! Shame cause video is not much longer, cause it really looks great. And you were right, he kept his original atmospheres and sounds. That is really a treat to hear one of the masters performing live his best album. Do you by any chance have more recorded ? :D

you could buy the DVD:

Posted Image

You saw it LIVE?

You bastard :D

I only had the joy to view it in the cinema (the "Oxygene - Live In Your Living Room"-DVD ... which had the same material you saw (I'm sure, I recognized the exact song in the video you posted - also with the same bassline different to the original one from back then) and also shows them playing live) ... but that was good aswell - 3D image, dolby surround, comfy seats ... you know, in the film you definitely also get a better view of the equipment than if you just sit in front of a stage, which makes it a bit up for the "not live" thing :)

I'd love to have it seen totally live ... but well, it was the best I could get.

Still, I will definitely catch this guy live one day, I'm sure.

Glad you liked the performance :)

Did he use this odd little desk-like thing with an antenna on it aswell? And the stick synth that he grabs like a guitar?

I didn't even know there were a dvd, does it come with a CD version as well? I would really like to see it up close, all that wonderful equipment!

But it's all individual concerts, so I'm not sure u heard exactly the same version as I did :P... well probably pretty close to, but there definitely were some improvisation! I feel very lucky to have heard this guy play live two times already, but this was definitely the best!

And yes he played on the wooden box thing with the wire. That is the instrument from the 20ies, pretty damn trippy! And yes he played the space guitar, a fucking awesome track btw, he totally freak out on the thing!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm sorry about that, but we were sitting close to the door and eile (how do u spell that word??!) so my friend didn't get longer films :( and its also annoying spending energy and focus on filming and keeping an eye out for staff... I hope there will be uploaded some more on youtube at some point!

I didn't even know there were a dvd, does it come with a CD version as well? I would really like to see it up close, all that wonderful equipment!

But it's all individual concerts, so I'm not sure u heard exactly the same version as I did :P... well probably pretty close to, but there definitely were some improvisation! I feel very lucky to have heard this guy play live two times already, but this was definitely the best!

And yes he played on the wooden box thing with the wire. That is the instrument from the 20ies, pretty damn trippy! And yes he played the space guitar, a fucking awesome track btw, he totally freak out on the thing!!! :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, there is a DVD (the cover is in my last post). It also comes with a CD AFAIK ... but there are several different versions, one 3D, one 2D, one CD-only aswell...

I don't own it, but the occasion where I got to enjoy Oxygene in the 3D Cinema was actually the - so to say - austrian "launch show" for that DVD thing (well, "show" is not quite accurate since there maybe were only thirty people in this huge cinema, but still...). They decided to show the DVD material on the big canvas in 3D in the Cinema. The material is a live recording of the newly remastered Oxygene album (you did know that he remastered the album, no?) ... and also with the three other dudes (I assume they were the same you saw) - "because I recorded this piece on an 8 track recorder you need 8 hands to play it live", Jarre explained at the beginning.

The point of it all was the dolby surround from quality cinema speakers, that's why I went there, don't have that at home. And well, the 3D concept was nice aswell ... the effect with the camera centered at a knob-twisting Jarre for example, which in the Cinema looked like he was reaching into the room with his hand and playing that synth above the heads of the people in the front rows, that looked amazing. I'll surely remember that. Even though I didn't see Jarre live, but how often do the profit-greedy cinemas around here do such a thing like that ... apparently once and never again.

(I made a thread about it back then (so amazed was I :) ) ... but I don't bother to search for it now, sorry :P )

I'd advise you to get that thing. But I don't advise the 3D version unless you got a huge plasma or canvas...

Or maybe a rental video store in your town even has got the piece, then you don't even have to buy it?

Yes, yes, there is a DVD (the cover is in my last post). It also comes with a CD AFAIK ... but there are several different versions, one 3D, one 2D, one CD-only aswell...

I don't own it, but the occasion where I got to enjoy Oxygene in the 3D Cinema was actually the - so to say - austrian "launch show" for that DVD thing (well, "show" is not quite accurate since there maybe were only thirty people in this huge cinema, but still...). They decided to show the DVD material on the big canvas in 3D in the Cinema. The material is a live recording of the newly remastered Oxygene album (you did know that he remastered the album, no?) ... and also with the three other dudes (I assume they were the same you saw) - "because I recorded this piece on an 8 track recorder you need 8 hands to play it live", Jarre explained at the beginning.

The point of it all was the dolby surround from quality cinema speakers, that's why I went there, don't have that at home. And well, the 3D concept was nice aswell ... the effect with the camera centered at a knob-twisting Jarre for example, which in the Cinema looked like he was reaching into the room with his hand and playing that synth above the heads of the people in the front rows, that looked amazing. I'll surely remember that. Even though I didn't see Jarre live, but how often do the profit-greedy cinemas around here do such a thing like that ... apparently once and never again.

(I made a thread about it back then (so amazed was I :) ) ... but I don't bother to search for it now, sorry :P )

I'd advise you to get that thing. But I don't advise the 3D version unless you got a huge plasma or canvas...

Or maybe a rental video store in your town even has got the piece, then you don't even have to buy it?

Sounds nice man! Lucky that you got the chance to see it in a real 3d cinema :) Seeing the actual notch twitching was the only thing I missed when be at the concert, but I guess that meant I could focus more on the music it self :P

I think I will see if I can get that one... I might put it on my birthday wish-list :P

video offline <_<

I guess they didn't want it there <_< god damn copyright people... I mean its just free publicity :(

How old is this guy now?

According to discogs he is turning 60 i august :o

most interesting... will look into this dvd ;)

edit: i ve seen vangelis (whom i always associate with jmj) live a looong time ago, not even playing the trippiest of his stuff and that was excellent. i can only imagine how good this live must have been ;)

I still keep the record safe in a air-free bag :D

I have the record aswell ... but no air-free bag :ph34r:

Oh and I'd love to see Vangelis live aswell.

Damn!