Entheogenic - Flight of the Urubus

Rinpoche

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New to the forum, just want to say hi to everyone and show my appreciation for this release. Got some beautiful tracks on which send me to a higher level. Rice and peace :D

If you think those are great then you should listen to their Spontaneous Illumination album if you haven't already.

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical after the imho dissapointing "Golden Cap" but this is, again imho, much better.....of course my collection (thus my ears) lack the sounds from the first two albums, which are, if I can believe this forum, great......

imho "Dialogue of the speakers" was also great, despite the unusual cover perhaps.....

but two things come to mind with the new album:

1: I do not really understand the fuzz about "skullcap", for me it has some really annoying sound in it...

2: the lenght of the tracks.....tooooooooo short.......'except "skullcap" of course, which is toooo long...hehe....

but all in all a very good album yes and it restored my fate in Entheogenic.....(track5 = my favorite)

greetings to all of you

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical after the imho dissapointing "Golden Cap" but this is, again imho, much better.....of course my collection (thus my ears) lack the sounds from the first two albums, which are, if I can believe this forum, great......

imho "Dialogue of the speakers" was also great, despite the unusual cover perhaps.....

but two things come to mind with the new album:

1: I do not really understand the fuzz about "skullcap", for me it has some really annoying sound in it...

2: the lenght of the tracks.....tooooooooo short.......'except "skullcap" of course, which is toooo long...hehe....

but all in all a very good album yes and it restored my fate in Entheogenic.....(track5 = my favorite)

greetings to all of you

perhaps people here look for PSYCHEDELIC tunes :ph34r:

skullcap is the only psychedelic song on this album IMO. rest of the album is more appropriate for Cafe Del Mar and Buddha Bar compilations! :drama:

perhaps people here look for PSYCHEDELIC tunes :ph34r:

skullcap is the only psychedelic song on this album IMO. rest of the album is more appropriate for Cafe Del Mar and Buddha Bar compilations! :drama:

I do realise people out here look for psychedelic tunes....myself included......been listening to psy for over a decade now.....

that still doesn't mean i have to like everything that is supposed to be psy.....I just do not like that particular song....and i find the rest better....must be getting old i pressume...hahaha

greetz

• 2 weeks later...

This album has some of the best psychedelic chill tracks on it - Microcondian - Skullcap - Trara, and some other great tracks maybe not so psy but none the less great music to listen to.

+1

Great tracks, a bit less chilled then their earlier ones, makes a good listening all together.

Entheogenic - Flight of the Urubus

Universal Symbiosis Records

Track List:

1. Skullcap

2. Trara

3. Araras

4. Entheogen Spice

5. Microcondian

6. Urubus

7. Vervain

8. Fellowship

9. Rio Barra

10. Itaipava

I like these artists for recycling and caring about the environment. But making their album difficult to order off any site but their own for months was not fun. Whatever the reason, to build internet buzz maybe, I don't know -- I finally got it so I can relate to all the fuss and decide what I think of the album. Entheogenic changed a variety of things here relative to previous releases. Such changes include relatively shorter tracks, more tracks, a stronger emphasis on downbeat and psychedelic edge over chill, and more. I'm happy with the changes and I felt that these artists needed to reinvent themselves in some ways in order to make more of an impact in the downtempo genre. This is no excuse to slack off however. The next album should be just as if not even stronger. I skipped buying 2006'a Golden Cap, though I wanted to after hearing The Solution Machine followed by a few others. Flight of the Urubus will be the first album I give a real review to by them.

1. Skullcap begins with the sound of think, running water followed by gentle key notes and several strange instrumental sounds. It sounds organic and enhanced via customized software options. It's also a bit psychedelic. A main melody part appears around 1:51 before the beat picks up. As the song progresses I become more conscious of the altered, distorted instrumental effects; the notes purposefully tweeked to emphasis the psychedelic effect I presume. From around 4:50 into the fifth the rumbling sound works well with the song. But there is a displeasing sound being generated from this distorted orchestra. I like the concept of changing instruments, but playing a bunch of sounds that appear to be coming from half broken musical devices only goes so far before getting on my nerves. I like their experimentation and the concept but I'm no fan of how the idea is implemented here with few exceptions. This is an okay track. So far I'm not impressed. C+

2. Trara is both friendlier on the ears and generally catchier than the opening. It's more driving and appears to become more involving and interesting as it progresses. I like the streaking melody emphasis however along with various other sounds, melodies. It's cool. Now take the cool elements and make a super song with them. The group has the ingredients to produce something even better in the future, and this shows clear potential. Cool track, nothing spectacular. B-

3. Araras is IMO the first solid or good/great track on the album. The opening melody work is strong, contemplative and the voice sample enhances it. The beat is stronger. Sound effects compliment the beat, various psy sounds melt into the ambient, atmosphere, and the song develops in a positive way. Numerous instruments are incorporated into the mix and everything works well, but the melody lead around 2:45 is great! The entire track is built around a hook, a chorus in a sense coupled with a unique voice sample that is never overdone or irritating, though what's being said isn't all that interesting. I like it. The harder drum work at times adds to the dynamics; that returning melody, again around 4:00 is great, and how the track changes up, evolves with it is strong. The song runs shorter than most tracks I've heard by them but the quality over quantity really shines. Good if not great track! B+

4. Entheogen Spice is more cheerful, upbeat. The melody work reminds me of their earlier work. The sound effects, psy water droplets and more enhance these old school elements with nice, new school packaging. The first half is a little redundant. The violen work and melody is catchy. The voice is a little awkward. Most people don't know what this person is saying anyway. It isn't bad however, though it does little to enhance the music. The piano work towards the end adds a nice touch. Overall, a pretty good song. B-

5. Microcondian is very cool. Here is the darker, more atmospheric number on the album. Consider this, not a sequel, but the follow up to The Solution Machine, possibly my favorite track from Entheogenic's previous 2006 album. The hard beat jumps in around 1:35. It's great. Sounds of swords clash as the rustling of chains shake from the pirate ship sailing on a dark mission. The melody work from 2:29 crossing over into the third minute is great. I like how moody and atmospheric this song is. An interlude takes place around 3:30. More strong melody work around 4:12. It's very cool to see this group create with a strong concept and execution a gripping song I'd consider in the darker realm of downtempo. Nice work! Each act seems to have a strong element that carries the number further into a healthy evolution, regardless of the health present with the characters in the story. The choir around 6:00 is good too and the atmosphere makes the song even more interesting. This track gives the album more variety in a good way. I could be happy with an entire album in this darker style actually but I know not everyone would agree with that. Anyway, this is one of my favorite tracks here. Great, excellent track! B+ / A-

6. Urubus is anotehr cheerful, upbeat number, one I find far more fun and upbeat, catchy than the other cheerful Entheogen Spice. This is faster, uplifting, and filled with life. No voice exists either to distract from the layers of music and speed. Good, great track! We're finally on a role again. I'm not complaining about the shorter length, long as the song is strong and preferably over 5-6 minutes at least B+

7. Vervain is a slower, more romantic number. Finally these artists have produced a somewhat floating and euphoirc track with a medium speed, beat, and drive in a non intense way that compliments their style. Finally. The interlude in the middle is good. This The music continues, it's strong, feel good. The cheering towards the end is very positive too, and all other voice work. Great work! So far the variety on this album is healthy and solid with few (what I consider) dips. B+

8. Fellowship appears to have more of a Jazz/organic influence. There is a stronger sound in the forfront while the band plays not far behind it. Overall a decent track with some nice musical elements. It becomes more layered as it progresses but the overall song is nothing great. Decent track. C+

9. Rio Barra is more Jazz or at least lounge oriented with a present, strong tune varietion similar in tempo and style, basially a cousin to my first favorite melody on the album via Araras. This sound works well to compliment the slower, more chilled Jazz band. The song would be lacking and less enjoyable without it, in my opinion. The group as made a track that can appeal to both Jazz and downtempo fans to some degree. While I don't care for this song very much, it's pretty good, just nothing riveting or all that eventful, desirable to sink my teeth into. B-

10. Itaipava is the first song to take advantage of those altered voice sound effects a la Madonna's "Die Another Day" theme song in 2002's self titled Bond flick. Also in 2008's "OTT - Skylon" album. Overall I don't like the effect in general; I'm glad they kept it short here as it cheapens the song, as effect taken advantage of over the years to compensate for singers who lack tapping their diaphragm, though that may not be the case here. I just don't like the effect in general, same with Infected Mushoom's Erez who probably needs it to not sound as bad. The song itself is a decent, fairly good world/ethnic instrumental piece coupled. The group could have ended the album with something stronger, more appealing. It's not bad at least, but my least favorite track on the album. A more or less decent ending to an otherwise strong album. C+

In conclusion, Flight of the Urubus is a stronger album than recent releases by Entheogenic and quite possibly their best release since the first two. The style has been reworked and modernized in a way that I feel delivers a refreshing approach to the downtempo/Psy genre, from what this group has done previously. Not everyone will love it or be pleased, and I clearly see room for improvement on this more more dynamic, less chilled albeit influenced at times style. I felt more involved with the album on the third number, Araras. This prizes the strong melody/sound work I'd love to see this group develop and continue to evolve, as it's one of their gifts. There's a dark track I really like called Microcondian; it's very cool and moody; I'd love to see more works like this one too. The album is comprised with a handful of good and great tracks. Several decent, not so great tracks exist as well. This is a good album overall, maybe great, though a bit overrated relative to some comments I read here. I mean, we knew these artists had potential to produce something more novel, energetic and here it is. It's cool to see them awakening to more of their potential. Unfortunately, a far from stellar beginning and end takes away from the bigger picture. I'm happy to have finally heard/bought the album. It's one of the better, possibly one of the best downtempo releases of 2008 with more emphasis on the Psy. A bit less on the Chill, floating aspects that made certain previous albums more peaceful and in some ways dull and/or redundant at times. There are chill aspects nonetheless that work well into the more exercised style and sound. I'd like to see Entheogenic build more imaginative, passionate, and powerful, memorable songs in the direction (and continue to innovate in positive ways) of their strongest work here. Good album!

Favorite tracks: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9.

B

Samples

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/usr/usr1cd001.html

Itaipava:

another classic !

this is for sure a classic album which will go far beyond the Psy scene !

I like the album too but I wouldn't go calling it a classic and saying that it goes "far beyond the Psy scene." This seemed like such a "perfect" review of the album. I became utterly suspecious after reading it. Actually I wouldn't be suprised if a couple (not many but several) posters showed up here to, yeah. This is a cool album that deserves attention OMO. But to call it a classic?? It is far too soon to even think of words so big.

New to the forum, just want to say hi to everyone and show my appreciation for this release. Got some beautiful tracks on which send me to a higher level. Rice and peace :D

As of November 29 this person has posted one comment. Can you guess which one it is? :huh:

I like this one pretty well - some really nice moments, and some fresh feeling ideas at times...

I don't think this album comes anywhere near the depth and complexity of either the new Shulman or Ott albums though, and the singing and samples are quite bad and amateur sounding IMO...

Now this sounds sincere, and not because Healium focused on +/- either. I actually believe what he says here, and it comes across as a short and to the point express review.

Good review Jon Cocco. Always appreciate the effort somebody makes to write a deep review.

Funny though how taste is different and I guess this is a good thing. Skullcap would be my "favourite" on this album, didnt make it into yours though.So I guess there is something for everybody on this album.

You're kidding right?

Nope ... I did say in case (you haven't heard that it has been re-issued)

If you think those are great then you should listen to their Spontaneous Illumination album if you haven't already.

As you were suggesting someone should listen to an old Entheogenic album that is out-of-print I thought I'd mention one that you can actually get hold of again. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

In case anyone hasn't heard Entheogenic's debut album has been re-issued by USR (£6.99):

Entheogenic - Entheogenic

http://universalsymbiosisrecords.net/usr_s...ff14b40aa9e8705

I ordered a copy back in September when it was released and it was sent out the next day so I can give a good report on their service.

Same here.

One of those albums that cant be missed in any chill collection :)

• 1 month later...

I've re-listened to it and I don't even mind them singing in the two tracks. It fits in there fine by me. Skullcap, Microcondian, Araras are my favorite tracks. Overall, it's good quality music.

• 1 month later...

I've re-listened to it and I don't even mind them singing in the two tracks. It fits in there fine by me. Skullcap, Microcondian, Araras are my favorite tracks. Overall, it's good quality music.

I would say they did a very fine job on it, also the voices are real interesting. More so they are real and not from a sample CD. Hope to see a new release soon from the Duo.

• 4 weeks later...

Not bad really. Nice tracks but the last one has extremely cheesy vocals - and that is not allowed in any psy-chill release -_-

Guys from Entheogenic still can't reach their "Spontaneous Illumination" break-through but for that one i send them my best compliments.