download existing releases on russian sites... what to do?

supergroover

I noticed today that the release I did with Kokopelli can be downloaded for a fee at a russian site.

Of course we didnt see a single penny of that release from them, nor did they even contact us.

Does anybody have more info about the subject or had similar experiences?

I am wondering if it is possible to do anything about it.

All info is appreciated...

hey dude, its all around, if you can track it down to actual persons and find some proof on their computers there's not much you can do but to report it to police or author rights agency...

a young friend of mine just released a few tracks via juno and some shitty mexicans now sell it for 40 cents on some shit site

nothing you can do unless you have a god-like hacker/tracer

its a big world

i think the best you can do is just to not give a fuck and promote your cd where you can. after all only true retards buy mp3s for 40 cents and who are you to make retards unhappy...

I noticed today that the release I did with Kokopelli can be downloaded for a fee at a russian site.

Of course we didnt see a single penny of that release from them, nor did they even contact us.

its teh internetz...be happy your music is getting around :) its not like the ppl who will dl would pay for it if they couldnt find it online.

Welcome to the real world.

The so called illegal russian download sites have been at it for years, and they've more or less offered for free download ANYTHING there was to offer...

Meaning, they've covered the ENTIRE spectrum of music as a general phenomenon.

They have releases up for free downloads the very same day these hit the shops. No joke.

I have even seem the go as far as taking other people's DJ mixes, and placing them on their own web pages with altered artist names and stuff. It has happened more than once... Put it you upload a DJ mix of yours here, called DJ Supergroover's supergrooving hits, and after 10 days you see it on their web site, but called something like DJ Yuri live DJ set @ Lifka Club, Moscow...

It's pretty common that they snatch other people's work, and tag it as theirs. Especially if the party in question is a yet unaffirmed, unexperienced and fresh artist, who offers his/her tracks over the internet for free.

I have even heard they make fake event announcements. For example, they would announce a party, but then add a little spice to the line up by adding names of artists and DJs to the flyer, but those were never even contacted for playing at the party!!!

And the answer to your question is that I've never seen or heard about any of these sites and their respective owners getting punished, fined or getting any penalty points whatsoever. I know people have been sending them mails, threats and questions, but most of the times all they got nothing for an answer or an arrogant "So? What the fuck are you gonna do about us putting up free music for downloading?" type attitude

Apparently, these sites are heavily used and abused in Russia, and pretty popular amongst the local population. But I'm not a 100% on that, ask some russians if you know any...

Their initial "download before buying" mentality has quickly turned into "download here for first and get the music for FREE" rhetorics, which is now what it is.

They are quick, they are good, and fuck it, they're are way more than just one step ahead of the music industry...

Indeed, these sites already exist for ages...

And you can't do anything. But nobody can. And they rip almost everything, even releases that actually are no releases. I don't think the loss of profit is that high though, otherwise music industry would go on a bashing spree against them and not against p2p. I also don't think that many people will download that peculiar Kokopelli release from an illegal russian site. First because you're not that well known compared to pop or other stuff and second because not that many people like these dodgy, probably troian-infested sites...

I bet you lose ten to twenty releases maximum. Is that worth to go up the barricades? I wouldn't. The effort you put in it far outweighs the profit you have from that.

most recent i heard was a guy's song was downloaded from our belgian music central site and proclaimed to be produced by some stupid mexican, he even put it in his myspace player and everything, it was even getting released on a label, mind you, in a higher encoded bitrate than the original file. i heard the label the belgian guy was on applied some pressure but there were rumours about the song still getting released under this faker's name...

All you can really do is ignore these fakers and promote your work better than they do. Google might give you an idea of how robust your web presence might be. Try doing a search on exact titles and see what you come up with. If it is all Russian pirate sites then someone isn't doing their job right...

Let's take a random survey using Google. The first number out of 10 marks how many pirate links come up on the first page. The second is the total number of results (another good measure of how effective your online promotions have been).

braincell "transformation of reality": 4/10 links to illegal downloads, 850 results total.

infected mushroom "vicious delicious": 0/10, 145,000+.

ekoplex "enter the dragon": 1/10, 6,870.

kindzadza "waves from inner space": 7/10, 2,340.

hujaboy extreme: 5/10, 5,960.

goasia "from other spaces": 3/10, 3,000.

"ace ventura" rebirth: 1/10, 19,500.

furious "uncanny beats": 5/10, 1,350.

etnica "alien protein": 4/10, 6,560.

hallucinogen "the lone deranger": 5/10, 9,750.

electrypnose "where do we go": 3/10, 1,510.

"wizzy noise" sabotage: 3/10, 5,140.

magnetrixx wired: 2/10, 5,370.

mekkanikka "global warming": 6/10, 273. (Sad results; it's all pirate links at the very top and no sign of a real label or artist homepage.)

jikkenteki "flights of infinity": 0/10, 326. (This will be good to come back to in about a month to see how things have changed as it is still quite new.)

One thing I was NOT expecting from this quick inquiry was how well my promotions for EKTEP01 have been... only Rebirth and Vicious Delicious resulted in more search hits!

Anyhow, you can see how widespread promotion is able to flood the pirate sites off the top ten... but of course all you have to do is add "download" or "mp3" to any search and you will probably find exactly what you are looking for.

When we arranged to release vapour online last year, i honestly thought we could get around it. Since we were running the shop the names where there and the few promos downloaded from the store by friends from the artists were presumably respectable. Then one day some guy from russia bought the wav version and a few weeks later one of those groups had picked it and it was on the web. Never found out if it was him or some Japanese guy that paid with a fake credit card (if it was fake i have no idea why the payment processor accepted the request and then booted it, beats me) but got download it anyway.

I had actually tried to release it with one of those groups and someone was helping me with that. I want to release lower bitrate, they wouldn't have it... all they promised was a good promo sheet with contact info, etc, etc...

At that point sales where not all that bright so, i said fuck it. Let's see if this scene does work for something in the promotion department. Then another group picked it, shipped it... and... from that day on it was clear that the measure did not really help on sales. I think what basilisk is saying makes a lot of sense. If you have a strong on line marketing going on, with a number of reputable on line shops to buy the release, you have a web site, or some websites talking about it, linking to some shops, that's the best you can do on this day and age. Unless you know shady people in russia :drama:

I am not annoyed by the fact that it is available online. More by the fact they are making money with it.

All the sites have a similar structure with the same info. So i guess its a waste of time indeed to go after them.

the release scored a 4/10 on your google check. Not very good... Will have to work on that.

thnx for the info!

I'm wondering if anyone has gone as far as banned russian ips from buying said product (although this can be gotten around)?

I think these guys know what they're doing and use anon proxies all around the globe.

You'd only block the russian people who really want to buy your stuff...

gays, think about, that in russia federation at this moment averange salary is about 200euro, and in past was even lowly.

it is not kidding when get 100$ at month

to buy, for example, maddona's CD at a cost 10$ when you get only 100$ per month it is rediculus.

in time of USSR was the doctrine of red militaty machine to opposite "democracy" machine of USA.

in 70 years of existance USSR was no economic at all.

and after breaking USSR was very hard period for our country, natural resurces and factories was grasped by couple of people.

all of them, who have money, didnt want to invest in national economic,

prefere buying English football clubes, boings and yahts, villas in California. They prefere to create their own happiness.

so, economic (not include Moscow) was/is disorganized everywhere.

also take into account the size of our country. may be, it is good to have only ONE exclusive shop in Brussel for all Belgium.

but in russia reality this model is not working. Take geographical map to see it.

to answer the question "Why in Russia Federation do exist such pheunomen as piracy?" need to be russian.

and I dont care, what think about my cocitizens outside the bounds.

the same situation was with Hollywood production. They undertooked some action(festivals, fiestas, TV & Radio suggestion)

to stop pirates movements, but has been failed. the proper way to exit from this was invest some money in public cinemas.

they receive though the small response

Er, wait, wait!

Is this actually turning into a thread where people are trying to attempt and reasonably justify the worst and most shameful kind of piracy of recent times?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Tsk tsk tsk, the lame excuses.

I'm from Eatern Europe as well, so cut the poverty crap. Now looky here, we used to be in the communist block as well. Big fucking deal. It's a competitive world, and our financial setbacks are NO excuse to steal other people's hard work. Period.

Cut the pussy ass whinning, pull up your sleeves and bring cash to the table.