Your first set?

SeaWasp

I played my first set the other day... I played for a small audience of about 40-50 ish people. I had my bass out, and a friend's bass amp. For audio, I hooked up my uncle's 40 watt guitar amp (two speakers) to my laptop.

I ended up playing a part-psytrance part-dnb part-progressive part-industrial rock set.

anyway, what were your first sets like?

Edit: Pardon the "You're" in the title.... should be "Your" ;)

Sounds like a great mix of styles, how did the crowd react?

I never had the chance to play some psy for a crowd but I've had three gigs where I played some charts and dance stuff at parties. Was quite wild and I've enjoyed making the people dance.

I usually mix progressive psychedelic at any Hookah bar in town that is willing to have me whenever I get the chance. It usually goes pretty well, really laid back setting, but I would much rather mix DarkPsy or Fullon :(.

How did the gig go?

my first set was in a local party in the chill out. I was nervous as hell. For no reason of course because there might have been 20 people ;)

i dont tend to get nervous anymore now. Unless its a bigger gig. Looking forward to a BIG gig. I am sure i ll be nervous then :P

Heh... I played electronic music to an indie rock crowd :lol: . They really seemed to like the Psy track and the D'n'B track, and the industrial one. I was nervous as hell and kept playing the wrong notes on my bass (they were to scale though, so it was totally okay). Our audience really dug it :).

I've never mixed a psy set. At least for now. However, I hope I'll do that one day. Psy or ambient. I'd like to do some mixes :rolleyes: ... but I ain't got no skills...

Only once, quite some years ago, I stood in front of a mixer, mixing charts stuff and that. Started out quite okay, people liked it, but then I decided to get drunk and threw in blackmetal and other stuff ( :P ) and decided to be a poser twisting knobs with no idea whatsoever ( :wank: ) ... at least I don't remember what happened, so it's not embarrassing, but I had been told they don't want me on the decks next time :D

May i ask you to post exact names of the tracks you played - am very interested

It was all my own stuff, I can post it to the producers section... if need be -_- .

@RTP - :lol:

• 2 months later...

On Sunday I played my first live set in Fujisawa near Yokohama & Tokyo

Unfortunately on Saturday I got totally wasted & was a little worse for wares but thankfully it all went okay.

I played second in the night when it was at its busiest. It was a nice chilled night with nice people, not excessively busy but we made money (I got 3 grand ;))

Posted Image

The Set I played

1. M-Sphere - Blue Summer

2. Kilowatts - Deep Sea

3. Malik Trey - Sleepy Shadows

4. Carbon Based Lifeforms - Mos6581

5. Chronos - Mayan Artifact Part 2

6. Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth

7. Jikkenteki - Ambiguity

8. Ra - Light Receiver

9. Aes Dana - Lysistrata

10. Filteria - Cloud Kingdom (Solar Fields Remix)

11. Secede ft Kettel - Leraine

12. Kettel - Kroost Kids

Between each set we had some guy with Crystal Balls & he was really cool. As I had a hangover from hell and it kind of freaked me out a bit at first but I got over it :ph34r:Check out this video of him in Harajuku

I even had my own adoring fans (all 3 of them :lol:)

Posted Image

edit: have you ever noticed how Japanese girls cannot stand in front of a camera without doing the V-Sign?

Memories... MY first set was on new years evening 1999-2000... :) It was snowing alot, so one of the booked djs couldn't make it to the party place because of that, and the organiser knew I was mixing for fun once in a while at home... So there I played my first gig :) I remember it was fantastic, and the crowd reacted very well... I only remember 3 tracks I played: Astral - Let There Be Light, P.Cok - Double Doper and Battle Buddhas - Tigerhill :)

Not much after I was dj-ing with a friend (Paprika) and we made the dj team PaprikAnoebiS, in 2001 this resulted in the gig on Senseblender and since that moment Paprika had no time anymore because of his studies. But since 2002 I play every week or 2 weeks somewhere in Belgium/Europe... I still think it is the most fun thing to do :)

@abasio:

Looks like a nice set-list Jospeh :) Congrats by earning money on ur first set :P... I haven't got anything but beers :(

and u got out of the bushes :posford: who did u organize it with? What kind of place was it?

Between each set we had some guy with Crystal Balls & he was really cool. As I had a hangover from hell and it kind of freaked me out a bit at first but I got over it :ph34r:Check out this video of him in Harajuku

That is pretty freaky... at first I though u mean crystal balls as an "in"-plant (which would have been even freakier), but he definitely has that ball under control!!! :blink:

Posted Image

edit: have you ever noticed how Japanese girls cannot stand in front of a camera without doing the V-Sign?

Hahah nice! They look like good fans to have! And V-sign... I have noticed it, and I think its an Asian thing :P My girlfriend does the same :lol: well not all the time!

@abasio:

Looks like a nice set-list Jospeh :) Congrats by earning money on ur first set :P... I haven't got anything but beers :(

Well, it was only 3 grand, I like to say grand as it makes it feel like lots of money but it basically paid for a taxi to take me home with my decks & some grub at the end of it.

and u got out of the bushes :posford: who did u organize it with? What kind of place was it?

My mate Peter (first DJ) organised the whole thing but didn't have any DJ equipment so entered me. It was a nice small venue. A beach bar far from the beach. Well not that far, you could still feel the warm summer beach atmosphere.

That is pretty freaky... at first I though u mean crystal balls as an "in"-plant (which would have been even freakier), but he definitely has that ball under control!!! :blink:

It was cool B)

Hahah nice! They look like good fans to have! And V-sign... I have noticed it, and I think its an Asian thing :P My girlfriend does the same :lol: well not all the time!

Yeah, even I have started to pick it up. Started as a piss take and.......er....that is what it remains :lol:

My first set, and one of the 3-4 I've ever done, was a part vinyl/part CD-J/part Mini Disc, all connected to my Technics amplifier, and played on two sets of speakers, smaller Philips speakers from my friend, and larger Technics set of my own. End of 10th grade, perhaps?

It was a wild marathon set, for a crowd of approximately 40 people, and not even everyone was into electronic muisc. Until that night that is. Tons of alcohol floating all around, people happy as hell that school was out and an all around great atmosphere.

I mostly played harsh, cerebral and heavily tweaked out Detroit techno, making a grand climax by dropping Solar Quest's Harmonation. It was very fun, as I couldn't care less about impressing anybody with my alleged skills, so I was just dropping tunes I would have given my left arm to hear at a party :)

The people loved it as well. I played one furious track after the other, so there was really no time to chill and stuff, and it seriously looked like everybody enjoyed the sheer energy pouring out of the speakers. A great night, it was!

Well, it was only 3 grand, I like to say grand as it makes it feel like lots of money but it basically paid for a taxi to take me home with my decks & some grub at the end of it.

Still better than me. I've only once made a profit on a live set and that was at a small club up here and only because of a couple of CD sales (although the cds are still very much in the red so maybe that doesn't count either?). I've been paid 10,000 yen a couple of times for some bigger parties down in the Kanto region, but travel to each of those shows cost me nearly 40,000 yen per show so do the math on that one. And people wonder why I simply can't afford to do live shows anymore.... :blink:

I've only played a few times, but my first time was at a masquerade house party of friends of a friend. I made the bad mistake of planning my set out beforehand, which consisted mainly of electro and IDM that I thought would be cool for a masquerade, but I therefore wasn't able to play to the crowd, and there were lapses in dancefloor activity. But there was about an hour in the night where I was filling in for another DJ, playing entirely to the crowd, which was much more successful. I remember Shpongle's Dorset Perception being a hit, along with some Ott. It sure attracted the girls to be DJing, and I got distracted because they were asking so many questions.

My first Elektronika set was in 1992 at a party in Helsingborg hosted by the Liquid family. It was one of the most trippy parties ive been to in my whole life. Back then everyone helped doing the party, had food before we started and a chill session to relax before the evenings trip. Very nice memories.

I think my first FIRST set I played though, was in 1987-88? I played a mixture of everything, including some acid-house, but mostly other stuff. It was a party for the kids at school, but made by us students, later at night we slept over at the premises, and I tell you, it was H O T ! :D

Ahh the memories :D

Posted Image

Incredible, isn't it? I find it so weird... but tell me: 3 grand for a gig? What?! That must be not even 15 pounds... right?

Nice tracklist, although I would advise you to not play shpongle. It's really uncool. :D

[edit] the guy with the Crystal Ball is amazing. Very impressive!

Incredible, isn't it? I find it so weird... but tell me: 3 grand for a gig? What?! That must be not even 15 pounds... right?

Nice tracklist, although I would advise you to not play shpongle. It's really uncool. :D

Yeah it's just over a tenner :lol:

DMT went down quite well :ph34r:

I don't remember anymore. I used to play on few goa trance parties at the end of 90's and have played multiple times goa/psy, which I will do again tomorrow evening on some boat.

I have also played old school trance, ambient, some minimal and 90's electronica ( Prodigy, Orbital, Underworld, Fluke, Chemical Brothers, FSOL, etc. ) multiple times

Tomorrow : Absolum-Talamasca-Psychaos-Cydonia-ToiDoi-UX-BattleofTheFutureBuddhas-ChildrenOfParadise-Menis style. :P

My first live set in the electronic world of things was in 1999 I believe at a student run bar across the street from my uni in Japan. I honestly can't remember too much about how it went as I get that and the next couple of live sets I did at the same place confused (can't remember which gig was which anymore), but it went well enough I guess.

Interestingly enough my first DJ'ing gig was in early Sept 2001 just before going back to America and it was also the first time I ever tried to DJ. So basically my first attempt at beat matching vinyl was done live on the decks at a large school party with everyone dancing. Coming from a musical and studio background it was pretty obvious what I was supposed to be doing and actually my first ever attempt at beat matching went off without a problem (can't say that was true the whole night, but it was all fun in the end). I left Japan a couple days later and stayed with a friend in San Fransisco for two weeks. He'd been djing for about a year and a half at that point and after about the first week he was mad because I was as good as him after a week. Maybe I'm just gifted (which I highly doubt), but I've never understood what people find so hard about DJing.