Since learning about the makeup of Psytrance....

TRohr

Ever since I began researching trance, the general structure that it is built into, it's sound qualities, production techniques, hardware, etc, it really hasn't been quite the same. It's been a long time since I have sat myself down and enjoyed the music for what it is instead of sitting there counting out the beats and predicting what sort of breakdown or buildup is coming up, and, unfortunately(?), I am usually right. Or I sit and think about how the producer modulated everything, synthesized everything, how they used filters, etc. etc....

There have been so many times that I have waited several weeks to have a good smoking session and it's been destroyed because I can't sit still, walk over to the decks, start mixing, and then it just sounds terrible or I am concentrating so hard on trying to get things right, quickly, that the experience just goes to crap.

It's just not quite the same :(.

What's it like for you guys; are you still able to just let go and enjoy the music the way you did when you heard it for the first time?

I don't mix, so I enjoy ... always enjoy ^_^

That's probably also the reason why I'll never start mixing music. I alwys want to enjoy, nothing more :)

occasionally i get bugged by

breaks in the wrong spot

weird up or down pitch changes at stupid times

yeah sometimes i even notice things like "artist turned the wrong knob there" especially when anything approaches white noise, but i doubt i am ever picking things apart to the degree of original poster

other than that, it's either good or it isn't. djs can be frustrating with their choice of break placement and track selection, but for the most part the ones i've seen do a fair to great job so i have no complaint

when it's good, i fully enjoy

happens to me a lot...you get used to it though and learn to appreciate the music in a more "technical" form...its not the pure form you went gagaga over when you first discovered though. but when a really good track comes into focus I can say that the feelings are still the same than they were when I started listening .

I usually refrain from doing anything when smoked. It just doesnt work. :lol:

Nothing compares with the first listening...

It's like sex. 1st time is super the 2nd is ok and at 3d starting thinking to find someone else... :lol:

To understand if the track that you produce is good (enjoyable) you must listen it after a big break maybe or working with 3 tracks in the same period.

i tend to have that from time to time.

as a dj i check many if not all releases and in the beginning i was so dissapointed in the amount of crap that came out..

now i just dig through it to get the gems.. As starting producer i actually find it interesting to see why tracks work as they do. Of course it takes out a little of the magic if you hear sounds that came straight from a sample cd. But still its cool to figure out how things are done.

It's like sex. 1st time is super the 2nd is ok and at 3d starting thinking to find someone else...

yer doing it wrong, with lame people if that's the case.

but in terms of music- it's weird for me, that holds true about half the time. I can't say why or which tracks but some I can here a million times, the rest, like you said - really cool the first time , after that start to lose interest. The odd thing is how some really awesome tracks stop doing it for me after one or two plays while others never get tired to me

I enjoy it more every day! I don't think learning about the technical side changed my view on psytrance, if anything i am more impressed. I mean, if you play the piano, you enjoy much more great piano pieces ( chopin, bethoven, ... ) then if you just listened to it without any knowledge.

TRohr > you should try to count the beats unconsciously, that's what all good jazz players for example as it's really hard to count the beat and improvise at the same time. Try with blues tracks, has a very clear structure and it's easy to practice counting beats with it.

The odd thing is how some really awesome tracks stop doing it for me after one or two plays while others never get tired to me

the difference between a master piece and a good track :)

TRohr > you should try to count the beats unconsciously, that's what all good jazz players for example as it's really hard to count the beat and improvise at the same time. Try with blues tracks, has a very clear structure and it's easy to practice counting beats with it.

Yeah, I really should go get myself a few Jazz CD's; that stuff takes some real musical talent.

happens to me a lot...you get used to it though and learn to appreciate the music in a more "technical" form...its not the pure form you went gagaga over when you first discovered though.

yep 100% agree. I'm not really into mixing and actually I've quite lost touch with the scene recently but I remember back in the days I was amazed by the number of people praising some flat uncreative release ("wow this is so dj-friendly, it mixes perfectly with the other stuff")

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ever since I began researching trance, the general structure that it is built into, it's sound qualities, production techniques, hardware, etc, it really hasn't been quite the same. It's been a long time since I have sat myself down and enjoyed the music for what it is instead of sitting there counting out the beats and predicting what sort of breakdown or buildup is coming up, and, unfortunately(?), I am usually right. Or I sit and think about how the producer modulated everything, synthesized everything, how they used filters, etc. etc....

There have been so many times that I have waited several weeks to have a good smoking session and it's been destroyed because I can't sit still, walk over to the decks, start mixing, and then it just sounds terrible or I am concentrating so hard on trying to get things right, quickly, that the experience just goes to crap.

What's it like for you guys; are you still able to just let go and enjoy the music the way you did when you heard it for the first time?

you are right, a lot of time, i listen an album of psytrance and i know whats coming. is it because of the quality of the psy scene now or because were just used to the psy sounds and not impressed anymore.

one thing for sure, it happens very very rarely for psytrance, but for other style, it happens tons of time that i find myself without knowing what coming. recently ive heard some artist really intresting because of this site

go take a look!!!!!!! http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/2009/01/01/best-of-2008/

take a big look at the top 25!!!! top 10 is really some classical experimental, apart from subheim( my best release for 2008) but go see the top 25, tons of good original stuff!!!!!!!!!!

yer doing it wrong, with lame people if that's the case.

but in terms of music- it's weird for me, that holds true about half the time. I can't say why or which tracks but some I can here a million times, the rest, like you said - really cool the first time , after that start to lose interest. The odd thing is how some really awesome tracks stop doing it for me after one or two plays while others never get tired to me

+100

I know a fair amount about production, a little less about music theory, but regardless I am able to turn off my analytical mind when I want and just enjoy the music.

When I was in school for audio production I had a class about audio for film and video. The instructor said (joking) that it was his goal for everyone in the class to never be able to enjoy a movie again. The inference being that once you know how all the sounds are made in a movie, you would always after be thinking about the sounds whenever you watched a movie. I can do that if I want, but I can also turn that part of my brain off and just enjoy the music as a listener.

It's easier for me to do that when the music is good, somewhat less easy when I don't like the music.

And then sometimes I get so caught on a certain sound, I start trying to think of how they made that sound, and I completely abandon listening to the music because I'm trying to figure out how they made that sound.

I don't mix, so I enjoy ... always enjoy ^_^

That's probably also the reason why I'll never start mixing music. I alwys want to enjoy, nothing more :)

+1

Actually I have a huge respect for all the artists who write music for the listeners and not for the djs.

No offence to the djs here :)

I feel exactly the same way. I try to focus on the bassline and just let the rest of the music come to me, that usually helps for a start.. Then when you're inside, you can forget about analyzing :)

Actually, it has made my joy in listening even better. Because not only can I enjoy the music, but I can admire the artist for the work he/she has done. Of course I'm talking about the music I love, full-on on the other hand sounds crap to me no matter what I may think about the production.