M-Audio FireWire 410

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

I want to grab this baby as soon as possible.

What do you think of it - worth the cash or not?

Haven't tried it myself but according the reviews I've read about it, it should be one of the very best for that price. I have only heard very positive about it

My experience with M-audio says otherwise, i would never recommend any M-audio product. The drivers are horrible & i've read of countless people having troubles with M-audio firewire cards. The pci one's are more reliable, so my suggestion would be to stay away & get something else in the same budget, e.g: Echo Audiofire, Presonus Firebox etc etc.

the card itself is not too bad. let me break it down.

- slow support for drivers updates

- its extremely sensitive to grounding problems

- if you use it on ONE system only (ie only on XP) you will not have any problems. If you switch to OSX or to Vista, you are fucked, the firmware is not the same on all. I use both mac and pc xp/osx and i have constant problems with it.

- its extremely portable, light weight.

- no balanced outputs (but that does not mean bad really, but good to know)

I have had a lot of problems with it, but when it runs, it runs like a charm. I have at the moment no problems AT ALL with it. I have not tried the new firmware for both XP and OSX though, so I think im up for a surprise.

anyways, for the price that you pay for it, I would give it a 8/10, but for just 200 euro more you can get a MOTU card, which I have heard good things about (The ultralite).

the card itself is not too bad. let me break it down.

- slow support for drivers updates

- its extremely sensitive to grounding problems

- if you use it on ONE system only (ie only on XP) you will not have any problems. If you switch to OSX or to Vista, you are fucked, the firmware is not the same on all. I use both mac and pc xp/osx and i have constant problems with it.

- its extremely portable, light weight.

- no balanced outputs (but that does not mean bad really, but good to know)

I have had a lot of problems with it, but when it runs, it runs like a charm. I have at the moment no problems AT ALL with it. I have not tried the new firmware for both XP and OSX though, so I think im up for a surprise.

anyways, for the price that you pay for it, I would give it a 8/10, but for just 200 euro more you can get a MOTU card, which I have heard good things about (The ultralite).

Had mine for about 4 years now, no problems with grounding so far or using it with a Mac but for the rest I agree. The sound is great, the mic inputs are a total bonus and it's pretty robust; after 4 years of constant use all over the place mine now rattles, and one of the output sockets doesn't feel right when you put a cable in, but when it works - which it always does eventually - it all still works. I have more problems with it at home than I do on stage!

but for just 200 euro more you can get a MOTU card, which I have heard good things about (The ultralite).

Actually i was trying to get this one at first, but little financial problems doesn't allow me to buy it. So i decided to take the M-Audio. I mean i don't have to wait another 3 or so months.

And about the problems i think there's no such perfect card that wouldn't have problems at all. I think that price/quality in M-Audio is balanced very well.

And about the problems i think there's no such perfect card that wouldn't have problems at all.

Yes there is! RME Fireface 400, but it ain't cheap! As always you get what you pay for but still there are plenty of other manufacturers out there at the same price point that make MUCH better products than M-(suck)audio

Yes there is! RME Fireface 400, but it ain't cheap! As always you get what you pay for but still there are plenty of other manufacturers out there at the same price point that make MUCH better products than M-(suck)audio

I surfed through sound forums and general sections and found out that RME Fireface 400 is a real Pro card with amazing abilities and it's 3 times more expensive than M-Audio 410 so it's just not for me (not experienced and not so rich to work with it). But thanks anyway.

Still wanna get my hands on FireWire 410 from M-Audio and definately will :rolleyes:

Don't say i didn't warn you! :blink:

I've got a Fireface 400 & it is excellent but now i'm looking to add a Benchmark DAC-1 to it for D/A conversion as it's better than the FF400 converters.

No matter what gear you have there is always something that's just slightly better which you ultimately want to get! :rolleyes:

I surfed through sound forums and general sections and found out that RME Fireface 400 is a real Pro card with amazing abilities and it's 3 times more expensive than M-Audio 410 so it's just not for me (not experienced and not so rich to work with it). But thanks anyway.

Still wanna get my hands on FireWire 410 from M-Audio and definately will :rolleyes:

What exactly do you need from an interface? You might check out the Apogee Duet. Only 2 channels, but Apogee makes great products. It's about $500 US.

I've got a Fireface 400 & it is excellent but now i'm looking to add a Benchmark DAC-1 to it for D/A conversion as it's better than the FF400 converters.

Dear Bob, I never expected to hear the name Benchmark around here! :clapping:

What exactly do you need from an interface? You might check out the Apogee Duet. Only 2 channels, but Apogee makes great products. It's about $500 US.

I'm gonna use it on a Win XP PC and laptop (Asus F3Ka) + Software : Cubase SX3+NI Reaktor5

I need external card with FireWire to connect easily outdoors + this and this

and NO Mac systems, that's for sure (it is very unpopular where i live)

I'm gonna use it on a Win XP PC and laptop (Asus F3Ka) + Software : Cubase SX3+NI Reaktor5

I need external card with FireWire to connect easily outdoors + this and this

and NO Mac systems, that's for sure (it is very unpopular where i live)

do you live at microsoft? :lol:

I've had lots of problems with several pieces of m-audio stuff in the past, & generally stay away from them. I actually had a 410 back in 2004 & it was utter rubbish. Didn't work well on either of my 2 desktop machines, or my laptop.

I picked up the 410 again last year because it I needed at least 6 audio outs, midi in/out, & small enough for transport with laptop, all without being too expensive so that if something happens to it when I'm performing out I won't be really pissed. I have since kept my Motu 828 Mk2 @ home and feel much better about not bringing it to clubs & bars. I picked mine up in almost new condition 2nd hand on ebay for $150 US, which is a big reason why I opted to give the 410 a 2nd chance. Also, Mr. Colin OOOD had mentioned he was using a recent model with good results, and I value his opinion.

I am very pleased to say this 410 hasn't given me any problems. I run it under windows XP SP2, with a SIIG pc card 54 firewire card on an Asus a8J laptop. I use it mostly for traktor & ableton live at pretty low latencies (6ms), but have also thrown some standalone soft synths @ it. I program & support computers for a living, so I do lots of other tweaking & know my way around an OS, & optimizing performance.

I would rate the sound quality as adequately good.

I am very pleased to say this 410 hasn't given me any problems. I run it under windows XP SP2, with a SIIG pc card 54 firewire card on an Asus a8J laptop. I use it mostly for traktor & ableton live at pretty low latencies (6ms), but have also thrown some standalone soft synths @ it. I program & support computers for a living, so I do lots of other tweaking & know my way around an OS, & optimizing performance.

I would rate the sound quality as adequately good.

How do you think - what is the main reason that this piece of 410 works properly? - maybe you could give me some tips in customizing win xp, or maybe it's because of the updated drivers.

How do you think - what is the main reason that this piece of 410 works properly? - maybe you could give me some tips in customizing win xp, or maybe it's because of the updated drivers.

if you want a perfect setup of XP and music making then go to www.musicxp.net :)

I have a 410 too, and I am not very impressed. The converters are only so-so, when they are not actually noisy, and the driver seems pretty unstable.

Now, I develop for TC Electronics Konnekt series (not the driver!), and I realise, that when it comes to firewire audio, there is no clearcut answer to the question "is this a good one?". Different machines and especially different firewire interfaces makes it very difficult to predict results with any audio interface. I can't use my 410 on my intel mac. I can use my Konnekt 24D with excellent results (it sounds better, if we disregard everything else). I know some people out there are in the opposite situation. Sadly, since the Konnekt is a superior piece of hardware.

So, the best advice is: try before you buy :)

- A

So, the best advice is: try before you buy :)

I agree, but i wish i could do this in my case.

I just think that even if i'll have problems with 410 i gain experience and this is what it's all about.

That depends on your problems:

1) The interface doesn't work. It's crappy, doesn't work either standalone or on your system. Lesson: It's a crappy interface, and you should probably get another one, or a total refund.

2) The interface doesn't work with your system. Drivers are a mess, and you can't get stable throughput. The lesson learned is that this particular device doesn't work with your particular system at this particular time (driver updates may solve the problem). Or, it may be bad hardware, hardware errors that look like driver issues, ...

3) The interface is not satisfactory: Noise, bad converters, bad pre-amps, bad feature set, stupid functionality, hard to use, ... Lesson: Try before you buy :-p

Try before you buy is always applicable, and if possible, try it on your own system. Scenario (3) is the worst, because it's hard to convince the manufacturer to refund your money. The other ones are not equally bad, because they just mean frustration and wasted time. To some (me!), that's worse than losing money though... So be very careful about which lessons your are ready to learn, and what experiences you are willing to acquire. But do remember to enjoy yourself when you find the right interface :)

-A