V/A - Opus Iridium (2xCD) Uptempo/Downtempo

frozen dream

Shakta - Ten Times Around The sun is what you'd except, 1997 shakta with 2008 production quality, it's fantastic. A true old school classic released in 2008.

Ethereal - Moondawn is the longest track on CD1, the only downtempoish one and it's also the most repetitious. Saying most repetitious from this batch of tracks isn't saying much, so I need to clarify, it's REALLY repetitious and I don't like it because of that. It starts strong, but stays there and it wears out.

I second that.

Shakta's track is really identical to his 1998-99 style with todays production. Impressive track.

Ethereal is boring for me like all Ethereal tracks (except the Dreamweaver's Cosmic Lobster rmx).

I second that.

Shakta's track is really identical to his 1998-99 style with todays production. Impressive track.

Ethereal is boring for me like all Ethereal tracks (except the Dreamweaver's Cosmic Lobster rmx).

indeed like I though shakta keeps his style an amazingly good combined with the new production soft/hardware

love it :)

• 1 month later...

OPUS IRIDIUM

Suntrip - 2008

Posted Image

PREAMBLE

A compilation saw the day in March 2008: OPUS IRIDIUM (suncd10). I decided to describe a review because I wanted to know if the magic was still present one year after its release.
The label wanted to hit hard for his 10th production, we have a double CD and a booklet of fifteen pages explaining the evolution of goa trance.
OPUS IRIDIUM means "Artwork for the Rainbows" in Latin, is composed of a melodic psychedelic trance CD and ambient CD.

A very appetizing tracklist with the comeback of SHAKTA, ETHEREAL, FILTERIA, AFGIN, RA, RADICAL DISTORTION and MINDSPHERE.
Newcomers such as E-MANTRA, AJNA, ARTIFACT303, ATRAL WAVES and SIEBZEHN and finally the big names in music ambient / downtempo, true professionals as SOLAR FIELDS, AES DANA, ASURA et ELECTRYPNOSE.
145 minutes of pure happiness for everyone mastered by Tim Schuldt.

The artwork is signed Margot Schaefer, a very talented person. She is also the mother of Joske aka Anoebis.
She is the origin of the artworks of APSARA and of TWIST DREAM. I strongly recommend you to admire his work on this link: here.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

TRACKLIST

CD 1 Uptempo
1.1) E-Mantra Voyager II [10:25] Romania
1.2) Shakta Ten Times Around The Sun [6:32] Uk
1.3) Filteria Birds Lingua Franca [9:32] Sweden
1.4) Artifact303 Feelings [9:24] Romania
1.5) Ajna The Art Of Happiness [9:12] France
1.6) Radical Distortion The Dreamer [7:37] Greece
1.7) Afgin From The Heart (Tribute To Wonderboy) [10:17] Israel
1.8) Ethereal Moondawn [11:02] Sweden

CD 2 Downtempo
2.1) Mindsphere Frozen Sleep [8:03] Turkey
2.2) Solar Fields Confusion Illusion (Remix) [7:27] Sweden
2.3) Electrypnose ChillinBerlin [10:59] Switzerland
2.4) E-Mantra Secret Prophecy [7:12] Romania
2.5) Aes Dana Lysistrate [7:57] France
2.6) Asura Altered State [7:26] France
2.7) SiebZehn Bongalore And Beyond [8:11] Germany
2.8) Astral Waves Contemplation [9:36] Canada
2.9) Ra Road To Shiraz [6:06] Norway

REVIEW UPTEMPO CD

[1] E-MANTRA - Voyager II
>> Play
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Fire !!!!! ... ... The control room ordered the launch to a mission international space. Our feet left the ground to penetrate the depths of outer space to the mysteries of our galaxies. Melodies simple and thin slender but very effective, bring us in the theme of science fiction. Titanic track that rises in power in a way crescendo.

[2] SHAKTA - Ten Times Around The Sun
>> Play
It is finally back!!! we remembers us all of his legendary album "Silicon Trip". It was inconceivable that an artist being part of the psychedelic pillar and with so talant we left like that. It is with great pleasure to hear sounds so psychedelic like "The Enlightened Ape" but more taciturn. The effects and sounds are cut to the sickle but the melodies goa refine rendering.

[3] FILTERIA - Birds Lingva Franca
>> Play
Ahhhh! Filteria ... no doubt, one of the best tracks of this CD. we wonder us where it will search all its sounds crazy .... Etnica should not be far. It's a new school track with some nice uplifting articulated in a fast rhythm, punctuated by a steady and powerful kick. The effects like blooming buds and swirling spirals and acrobatics melodies are simply projecting. Gorgeeeeous!!!

[4] ARTIFACT303 - Feelings
>> Play
Zsolt Peter is a person who might in the shadow of some artists. The track is very interesting and original. The bassline is solid, the melodies waver and effects whirl. Feelings is a real success. You absolutely must listen beacause the emotion reached its zenith.

[5] AJNA – The Art Of Happiness
>> Play
Olivier Chazard aka Ajna is a guy from France ........ I'm really pleased to see a Frenchman to give experience goa. I would say he looks like Goasia. The Art Of Hapiness is both rhythmic and light. Small sharp sounds coming tickle the rhythm and acid effects sparkle like stars. A track well led.

[6] RADICAL DISTORTION – The Dreamer
>> Play
The best song of this compilation but I would say that it is not surprising when we take the ingredients of MFG and of Astral Projection. The track is old school but more israeli trance. Many similarities with the tracks: Ionized, Magnetic Activity and Overlords but updated. The melodies are an accumulation of explosive color. It is a pure wonder.
>> Play - Ionized
>> Play - Overload
>> Play - Magnetic Activity

[7] AFGIN – From Heart
>> Play
Music with temperate rhythm and melodies at once shy and sensitive. We note the presence of several melodies that adorn the track but I think overall pretty bland. From Heart has an atmosphere very airy, however, the work remains amorphous.

[8] ETHEREAL - Moondawn
>> Play
Ethereal invites us to conclude this first CD with Moondawn. The track is similar to their album "Anima Mundi". The ambience is quiet, assisted by beautiful deep lines and floating, everything, granted by a light rhythm kick medium. Unfortunately, the whole is monotonous.

REVIEW DOWNTEMPO CD

[1] MINDSPHERE - Frozen Sleep
>> Play
We begin this part ambient with Mindsphere intoxicates us with Frozen Sleep. The intro plunges in a deep sleep accentuated by sounds heavenly. A thick and suffocating haze which disappears by a second part more active. Fabulous.

[2] SOLAR FIELDS - Confusion Illusion Remix
>> Play
A tasty tracks sober, concise with an increase of adrenaline in the middle of the runway for finally as it began. We open us at a meeting of thalassotherapy where essential oils have a relaxing scent.

[3] ELECTRYPNOSE – ChillinBerlin
>> Play
ChillinBerlin is probably the track the most worked and the most innovative of this compilation. The melodies are machined in an orderly fashion, the rhythm is causing, the effects are exciting, a true work of craftsmanship.

[4] E-MANTRA - Secret Prophecy
>> Play
Long deep lines, aspire us in the misty darkness without end. We float, we feel us lighter. The percussion give meaning to this wonderful composition and the melody of great beauty makes us very backward with its slowed down effect.

[5] AES DANA - Lysistrata
>> Play
We start with an intro very religious. We feel great emotion and sadness. The vibration seems to climb the heights of the cathedral to the afterlife. Then suddenly comes a pace supplant the peaceful sound, amplifying the melancholy side. Piece very successful with these tunes rolling, the voices of women who charm us and its captivating rhythm.

[6] ASURA - Altered State
>> Play
Asura delivers us a soothing track where the melodies are attractive and bewitching musical lines, all beset by a kick action.

[7] SIEBZEHN - Bongalore And Beyond
>> Play
One of my favorite songs. The story of a hesitant melody that wanders throughout the music. It varies among sounds very successful, zigzagging like a snake leaving behind a trail winding.

[8] ASTRAL WAVES - Contemplation
>> Play
In a style quite different, Contemplation has few melodies. It rests essentially on tribal percussion. The atmosphere is very ethnic and we have the feeling to attend a ceremony of a primitive tribe in the depths of a jungle. The lack of twists, makes this track boring, however, the ambience is famous.

[9] RA - Road To Shiraz
>> Play
sweet.....light.....sensitive.....harmonious.....frail. This composition sounds oriental, drop us in the middle of a desert, a desert very beautiful where we feel at times alone and rested, far from civilization. Sumptuous!!!

CONCLUSION

OPUS IRIDIUM is very conclusive. The melodies abound and awakening our senses and our rhythms heartbeat pulses. The tracks are very good making some senile old school songs. Thus, we are now entering the new school air. This compilation is both innovative and conservative, it is a reference. Masterpiece!!!!

RATING: 8,5/10

Posted Image

I just got this album today. I was all pissed off that CD 1 is scratched, so the last song won't play past a certain point or rip to MP3, but after reading just the posts on this page it sounds like I may not be missing much.

• 5 months later...

OPUS IRIDIUM

Suntrip - 2008

[6] RADICAL DISTORTION – The Dreamer

>> Play

The best song of this compilation but I would say that it is not surprising when we take the ingredients of MFG and of Astral Projection. The track is old school but more israeli trance. Many similarities with the tracks: Ionized, Magnetic Activity and Overlords but updated. The melodies are an accumulation of explosive color. It is a pure wonder.

>> Play - Ionized

>> Play - Overload

>> Play - Magnetic Activity

I LIKE THIS Review...! :D

• 3 months later...

Various Artists - Opus Iridium

SUNTRIP RECORDS

Posted Image

CD1

1. E-Mantra - Voyager II 10:26

2. Shakta - Ten Times Around The Sun 6:32

3. Filteria - Birds Lingva Franca 9:32

4. Artifact303 - Feelings 9:24

5. Ajna - The Art of Happiness 9:12

6. Radical Distortion - The Dreamer 7:37

7. Afgin - From The Heart (Tribute to Wonderboy) 10:17

8. Ethereal - Moondawn 11:02

Suntrips 10th release. It being a compilation, they wanted to make it a special one with 2CD's with 1st CD dedicated for the highest quality new school goa and 2nd CD for quality downtempo/Chillout. From the art to the the tracks, it's mostly wonderful.

Uptempo - review.

E-Mantra - Voyager II

Is very crisp, open and mysterious goa with a nod to etnica's style with a moving progressive journey theme(Voyager II's journey in space perhaps.). A lot of tiny little details and atmospheric pads accompanied by a dark moving kick. The track progresses through various sections where it slows down for the upcoming mini-climax that brings a new twist to the trip. Gotta take hats off for the 4:38 part which brings in this very very dark, alien layer to the mix, and the awesome shakta-like melody that follows in it's footsteps. Really, really nice stuff. The tracks ending is met with slowing down the track from moderate paced action, which leaves a climax to be desired. This track is a very good piece, tons of amazing atmosphere, but the ending could have used a more exciting one.

Shakta - Ten Times Around The Sun

Ahh, Shaktas back? Fantastic. This track is very much made in the old school spirit, it definitely has that old school quality where you know you're in for a ride right from the beginning. Chummy dark effects and pads melodies throughout and a mysterious and entrancing melody make sure you get hypnotized in it. The track Ten Times Around The sun is exactly what you'd except, 1997-shakta with 2008 production quality, it's fantastic. A true old school classic released in 2008.

Filteria - Birds Lingva Franca

Is a track that I was looking very much forward to hearing and it is un-questionably the pinnacle of Filteria sound up until now. Begins with atmospheric mood and playful bubbly acid and birds singing a'la Birds Lingva Franca. From there we get the rolling fat goa bassline and not so in your face kick whilst more little detail layers ensue. 1:40 and we're finally off with a moving sound, not long and the main melody arrives at 2:20. It's unbelievable. Epic, sensual, spiritual with a hint of spaceyness. While I was thinking it was the best thing ever, it's nothing compared to what arrives at 3:10. Holy fucking god, Filteria just hit a home run. The climax is so out of this world, I feel an Arabic and Russian influence in it, and that's something I've never heard before in my time of listening Goa. Rest of the track is a solid great run, no complaints at all! My #1 track of 2008 no doubt about it!

Artifact303 - Feelings

We are greeted by atmospheric 'epic' interlude with some bird-like and playful acid flying around and then we get a kick. Revival of the brute force that Astral Projection was able to make? For sure. What else can I say, uplifting super melodic with crisp true-to-the-last-bone 303! This is what I would love to call full-on, not the stuff they actually call full-on. Strong track that reached my top 4 of 2008 best tracks.

Ajna - The Art Of Happiness

Is the debut track from Ajna, a new new-school goa artist from France. Begins with rattling acid/synth, a sample from a sci-fi movie like in the good old days and some really really gripping atmoshperic-pads in the background. 0:55 and we're introduced to the melody that the track is holding in itself which gives us a kick with that melody at 1:10. Rolling a little more pitched goa-oriented bassline that is basically on a overly noticeable loop that sticks out to me for whatever reasons. Is it a negative, though? Nah, just a tiny nitpick. 2:04 brings us this pitched acid line which is a feast and a joy on your ears, but the sub-melody at 2:20ish, I don't honestly think it flows well with the one going on well. It just comes forcefully and sounds a bit cheesy at moments. From there it keeps growing it's main melody and is full of smaller details that we heard earlier on the track, some new one's too. It's a solid latter half, but what the first 2 minutes promised, it kind of lacks something. It's ok, but sounds immature so to speak. I usually tend to skip this if I listen to Opus Iridium.

Radical Distortion - The Dreamer

Ah, mysterious spaced out intro with a sample saying "I had a dream-" with that rattling 'r' which is the perfect interlude for the sounds radical distortion uses. A lot of chummy rattling acid and synths everywhere. Bassline sticks to a deep, fat kick. This track has a lot of awesome sounds and a good amount of layers. But the melodies, the melodies are a perfect fit for those sounds. Awesome, awesome stuff! Easily their best track up until now and in my top10 best tracks of 2008!

Afgin - From The Heart (Tribute to Wonderboy)

It took a while for me to understand the real beauty of this track. Starts with this very harmonious emotion-rich melody and a sample from a forest with birds chirping away. Then the kick arrives with the soft hi-hats and we're already in Eden. A small breakpoint comes, kills off the kick and brings us that soft, utterly awestrucking soft bassline, then after a while gives us the kick back. Next step in the evolution of 'Eden' we get the oh so amazing acid lines. Soon a breakpoint comes, bassline and kick disappear, then we get this extremely fitting, for whatever reasons, sample "I think something happened in the early 60's that LSD was related to, music was related to, there was new soundstage and maybe once a second or something, LSD was just... the power" and we get the track back on it's feet. It's just so fitting, perfect. And how far are we in? only roughly 4 minutes. After 2 minutes of little to no chance of the harmonius combination of layers we get new melody there. This continues solidly until 7 minutes in and we get this soft harmonius interlude for the main melody, 7 minutes and 40 seconds and there we go, chills down the spine eyes get watery and the sample comes for the 2nd time. Chummy acid's accompanying the big strong, full-of-emotion melody. 9:28 and the track slows down with an epic ending till the end. This track has so many sections that bring new stuff and powerful layers that it's pure gold. Not to mention, all of the layers are injected with pure emotion. Afgin you're the man - Or as my friend put it, "Afgin on äijäöä!"

How did I notice the real beauty of this track? Summer. I was out there listening to my mp3, this piece pops up, it's evening suns setting down, warm, not hot. I feel alive. This track conveyed so much emotion in me when I noticed it.

Ethereal - Moondawn

This one starts with harmonius darker downtempo very nature oriented style. It's very interesting for what it does do. Ton of layers, dark downtempo bassline and harmonic bright synth melody. I feel like this track was made for the mother nature. It's so very deep and earthly. The sample use of the "let there be deities" I'm not digging, could do without, but it's not too bad. I previously said it was very repetitious, and, well, that it is, but take time for it to hypnotize you in it and you see it's better than just a repetitious slow boring track. There's some seriously good stuff in there, you just gotta give it some time. Although 11 minutes a tad too long for this, if you have the patience to make it, it's worth it. But if not, it's gonna wear out, bad. In that case this is not for you.

So there we go, Suntrip has once again proven it's the best new-school goatrance label on earth. The tracklist is full of quality artists and quality tracks with only a few that I find a little bit lesser than the rest, but not much. CD2 is very good aswell, but I don't review downtempo so I won't be making one for it. But it's assured, it's up there with the Ultimae quality in my opinion. Get this compilation, I find it quite the essential one in new-school offerings.

Where to get it?

Downtempo only

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD10D/

Uptempo only

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD10U/

Original

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD10M/

Saikosounds

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7130

Psyshop

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut2cd010.html

Disclaimer: Reposting on a new post, because I thought my earlier review was way too short and just a bit.. eh and I spent a while on this.

This review is best read with the "blue darkness" forum skin option.

• 1 year later...

Ethereal-Moondawn :wub::excl: An album full of tracks like that would be wonderful!

Argh!

I have this album and still haven't heard more than about 2 minutes of that song because the CD has a defect that skips in CD players and crashes my computer.

• 7 months later...

This might not mean much almost 4 years since this release, but Moondawn has barely left my ears the past few weeks. I never gave this track a good enough listen coming at the end of an album with so many energetic songs, but Ethereal crafted what I believe to be the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. It just clicked immediately. Close your eyes and lose yourself in its dazzling layers, majestic soundscapes, and shimmering leads. I could only dream of making something like this.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

E-Mantra! Re-discovering this track every year is always a wonder. Reminiscent of Chi-AD with a more outer space feeling. Safe to say after so many years that it's an ever-green interstellar masterpiece.

• 4 years later...

Listen to the first cd actually and remember how cool this cd is. :)
In contrast to most of nowadays (Neo-)Goatrance every track has his own story and signature. No medicore stuff here. :)

9/10

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Artifact303-Feelings and Ethereal - Moondawn, are the stand out tracks for me. Really the essence of day and night/morning goa.