V/A - Opus Iridium (2xCD) Uptempo/Downtempo

frozen dream

I'm happy about the huge leap forward Filteria has done compared to his previous productions. Good rhythm, excellent breaks, some more laidback moments and when the melodies come they actually sound something I remember. The final climax is epic and I bet this track will be remembered as one of the classic cuts of 2008! :)

E-Mantra also delivers quite a delicious number with "voyager 2".

Otherwise I would say Shakta didn't deliver anything too inspiring, althou the track is not bad. It just doesn't reach the height I was hoping for.

Rest of the tracks sounded basic run of the mill goa tracks without bigger, meaningful melodic substance. I'm sure if I was new to goa my world would turn upside down hearing them, so I'm happy for all the newcomers and congratule Suntrip for promoting melodic sound.

The next Filteria album should be massive... :)

6/10

My review only goes for uptempo side.

I'm happy about the huge leap forward Filteria has done compared to his previous productions. Good rhythm, excellent breaks, some more laidback moments and when the melodies come they actually sound something I remember. The final climax is epic and I bet this track will be remembered as one of the classic cuts of 2008! :)

E-Mantra also delivers quite a delicious number with "voyager 2".

Otherwise I would say Shakta didn't deliver anything too inspiring, althou the track is not bad. It just doesn't reach the height I was hoping for.

Rest of the tracks sounded basic run of the mill goa tracks without bigger, meaningful melodic substance. I'm sure if I was new to goa my world would turn upside down hearing them, so I'm happy for all the newcomers and congratule Suntrip for promoting melodic sound.

The next Filteria album should be massive... :)

6/10

My review only goes for uptempo side.

Why Oopie, tell me why you just can't be her?

Ambient is without a scratch - 9.5/10

Rated 5,8/6 stars on Psyreactor ^_^

Something really rare these days !

Got my copy shortly after having listened at the mp3's,

Thanx Suntrip, great music, excellent job & amazing cover :D

Keep the good work up,

Cheers

V/A - Opus Iridium
SUNTRIP RECORDS

CD1 - Uptempo

1. E-Mantra - Voyager II - 10:26
2. Shakta - Ten Times Around The Sun - 6:32
3. Filteria - Birds Lingva Franca - 9:32
4. Artifact303 - Feelings - 9:24
5. Ajna - The Art of Happiness - 9:12
6. Radical Distortion - The Dreamer - 7:37
7. Afgin - From The Heart (Tribute to Wonderboy) - 10:17
8. Ethereal - Moondawn - 11:02

CD2 - Downtempo

1. Mindsphere - Frozen Sleep | 8:03
2. Solar Fields - Confusion Illusion Remix | 7:27
3. Electrypnose - ChillinBerlin | 10:59
4. E-Mantra - Secret Prophecy | 7:12
5. Aes Dana - Lysistrata | 7:57
6. Asura - Altered State | 7:26
7. SiebZehn - Bongalore and Beyond | 8:11
8. Astral Waves - Contemplation | 9:36
9. Ra - Road To Shiraz | 6:06

Opus Iridium kicks off the first Psy/Goa-Trance album release of 2008. It's a double album. One side includes various types of exclusive, Uptempo Goa-Trance tracks (highly danceable). The second disc is more on the Downtempo and Chill side. Inside the case, including the front and back cover is an exceptionally well done and researched eight page insert. This includes an introduction of sorts that discusses real Trance, not the mainstream stuff they call "trance" that is generally not psychedelic music. I'm talking about the music we love. Suntrip Records did a wonderful job showcasing the chronicles of New-School Goa-Trance in each of its currently finished, respective years in the 21st century. Also present is some beautiful artwork and photography.

CD1 - Uptempo

1. E-Mantra - Voyager II starts the album off with a "violent relaxation" blip of astronaut radio samples via outer space, followed by some very crisp sounds, melodies, and a strong kick. This is a very appropriate song to listen to at night. There seems to be many sounds of nature and/or atmospheric parts being tweaked, altered, and echoed to compliment the driving, generally aggressive rhythm. An interesting interlude in the song's center introduces fresh energy, followed by new sounds and melodies into the continuously driving night. I wouldn't say my gripe, but an observation is that the song isn't all that dynamic. It travels one direction, and a good one, but it never shifts or seems to travel elsewhere. A song does not have to have multiple changes of scenery, but often times I've listened to songs that change sound scenery in order to compensate for having less ease building one strong direction. Therefore, as an introductory song I find this a good one. There are some very interesting sounds used, and I like the integration of chaos or displeasing sounds, as far as creativity goes. However I do not find this track as a whole great. It is a darker, more aggressive opening than I expected and in that sense, it works. B-

2. Shakta - Ten Times Around The Sun arrests my attention more than the entire previous song in the opening thirty seconds. I was very curious about this track because Shakta hasn't released a Goa song to my knowledge in years. I own Shakta's Silicon Trip and The Enlightened Ape albums and I can honestly say they are both great. It's interesting to see them create a new-school Goa song after all of these years. This song carries through its psychedelic, bubbly sounds and riffs quite well, until 2:10 where the first really catchy melody stands appears. The beat is gone in the middle for a brief period to front some new ideas, a concept common in Goa because it always seems to work. This is no exception. At around 4:20, the leading melody returns. It's great, and the supporting sounds compliment it. Maybe after all of these years, my expectations of Shakta were just a bit higher because old-school Goa is such a pinnacle in my mind when it comes to music, and Shakta is one of those artist's associated with the golden age of Goa. Nonetheless, a solid number is pulled off here. If the previous song was more spacey/danceable, this is more mainstream friendly/danceable, and that's a very good thing here. B

3. Filteria - Birds Lingva Franca has been on my mind for some time since I heard the sample. I already liked what I heard, but hearing the song in its entirety often gives a much stronger feeling of completion and clarity as opposed to a sample. I never felt that Filteria's Heliopolis received the full credit it deserved. But I understand that the Sky Input debut was the pill to temporally cure many Goa listener's aches from not having anything impressive at the time. Naturally time went by and after the release of Heliopolis, many listeners wondered if Filteria would release the same highly intense, maximal sound, or something fresh without losing the melodic spirit. This song is a fresh approach to the general sound of Filteria. It feels more Eastern-Indian influenced than the monster, alien space-scapes of previous old-school Pleiadians and Filteria efforts. The track collects energy for the first two minutes until 2:19. WOW. The most catchy (yes, more than the last song IMO) leading melody bursts onto the screen. The lead and overall track seem to become more dynamic as the song progresses. Also present is something I love: Key Changes. People who love key changes in Goa-Trance will be happy with this song. Around 7:20 is an interesting interlude without the beat, that fronts a new and relatable wave of sound fusion. The song seems slightly influenced by the awesome, feel good sound of Khetzal. Regardless of potential inspirations, the track is great. This is the most refreshing song I've heard by Filteria since a song or two was released back in 2006. And I'm really looking forward to the next Filteria album, crossing my fingers that there is even more wonderful and refreshing ideas to come. Maybe I'm overreaching contemplating placing this in the A- area, but in reality (behind our conditioned reality) there really are no boundaries. This is a fun, catchy, and stimulating, colorful fireball. B+

4. Artifact303 - Feelings is very energetic and complex like the previous song. The introduction is very gentle, warm, and somewhat elegant. The overall song is more emotive than previous numbers on CD1. It's euphoric, dreamy, and very danceable. I want to note a several piece ambient tune, most noticeable past the seven-minute mark. This part deepens the emotion and makes me feel very "still" and "at peace." The way this compliments the song is exceptional because the state of trance is one often not associated with the conscious listening mind when one is actually listening to Goa-Trance. In other words, I feel more in the zone when I listen to this track as opposed to the previous, stylish giant. If Astral Projection was still producing old-school classic's, I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them. It's such an elaborate and developed journey of excellence; a sonic blast of dynamic energy, infectious rhythm, emotion, and flow. And it is arguably better than the previous melodic rocket. Both that and this number are exceptionally well done gems that exercise their powers as if harnessed by a master technician. Awesome number. A-

5. Ajna - The Art of Happiness is an interesting, crisp song. There is a really nice lift off sequence around the 4:20 mark. It moves along at a good pace, but none of its melodies or moments arrest my attention until the build up, climax. That is, until the beat falls out around 5:52. If one moment sounds refreshing and intriguing to me on this song, its this one. Filled with mystery and an interesting voice sample, both the music and beat regain consciousness around 6:50. Included is an addictive several piece melody that compliments the evolution of the form, the clever and unexpected direction and sound that the music has taken past the interlude. Should the first half been as stimulating I would have been more impressed. The good news is that this is one of those songs that starts off well and gets better as it progresses. It just takes some time to try out some new things that really enhance its big picture. B

6. Radical Distortion - The Dreamer is an energetic shift back up to high gear. It starts strong, and never lets go. The leading melody around 1:08 is great. Also strong is the early interlude that fronts an even stronger and more infectious leading melody. Loaded with friendly sound fusions, complex melody and sound work, and enough drive and ball control to front the starting 5 on fire, this is one of the best numbers on the album. The following part around the 5:00 mark and how the music involves is excellent. Most Goa listeners love the combination of new great sounds, melodies and infectious evolution. Radical Distortion is excellent when they make super songs like this one. The number lacks emotion and comes across as more of a ride than a world in creation, however the goal has been achieved in making a sweetly crafted and aggressive dance number. It would be awesome if these artists got together with Suntrip Records and produced a new album with all exclusive, new-school Goa-Trance songs in the future. They haven't done that before, and their previous album, with exception to the first four tracks and the final great track disappointed many Goa fans. That aside, these guys rock. And this is one of their best numbers. B+

7. Afgin - From The Heart (Tribute to Wonderboy) creates a much larger world than the previous number. This is the one song I actually did hear separately before this double album released. I love the opening. Actually, if the rest of the song was as beautiful and as soul felt, well in my opinion, as the first 1:50 seconds, I would consider this an solid and rare A. It has the most beautiful and emotive introduction I can think of in current memory. Anyway the following chunk is very well done past the two-minute mark. I think I was in heaven before the beat kicked in and the kick-drum broke that "still" state of mind, or the relaxed state I was in to a degree. But Afgin had to evolve this song or the intro would have overstayed its welcome and become less effective. I realize that. The song consistently rides the peaceful, melodic waves of love and light. It may be the least dynamic song on CD1, but it is the most emotive due to a wonderful tune and how this artist chose to utilize it along with all other sounds. I have often felt that from around the three-to-six mark is good, but not as gripping as the wonderful, dreamy leading melody work. Such work is most prominent in the opening two minutes and again around the last fourth of the song. Could this number have been more infectious in the middle, had the artist decided to build a more dynamic and/or emotive structure than what is currently developed? I have often felt that way after the first two minutes, from around the third to fifth minute. During this part the track just becomes a bit too redundant sounding for my tastes and enjoyment. Nonetheless, Afgin adds some really nice key changes, melodies, and changes up the rhythm, making it more dynamic and catchy during the second half of the song. Part of me feels that this song could be even more effective as a downtempo remix. Nonetheless, if Goa had a New Age genre, this song would likely qualify as one very best. And that includes top, emotive Goa/Psy tracks from The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing to some early Yahel tracks, Emuna and more. This song is full of harmony, most enlightened when the dance beat slows down or disappears completely. This is one of the best Afgin tracks out there. The introduction of new melodies and an increase in dynamic melody arrangement/mixing in the last third is awesome and deserving alone of a higher score than my overall analysis. B+

8. Ethereal - Moondawn is a continuously excellent, infectious, and involving immersion of sounds and melodies. Moondawn is enormously elegant, juicy, dreamy, emotive, and subtle. Yes, subtle. Subtle in that there are no wiz/bang special effects in the big budget Hollywood action movie sense. Not that any of the tracks had that feel to them on this album. They did not. But this track is all heart, like the last one, with very little to no show of ego or sensationalism. It's all soul, with no emphasis on "trying" to stand out and win over anyones approval. It "just is." The other songs generally did not feel as if they were trying, but this one flows like the water in the ocean from start to finish. Naturally, this liquid style is often associated with the artist(s) of Ethereal. I have seldom heard tracks by Ethereal that I would place on this level of excellence. Moondawn is both a superb number and closing to one of the strongest releases by Ethereal and Suntrip Records respectively, ever. A

CD2 - Downtempo

1. Mindsphere - Frozen Sleep is a floating, peaceful, ambient piece that starts CD 2 extremely well. Although their is never a beat, the artist creates a heightened sense of energy, motion, and emphasis in rhythm and speed during the middle-third. I thought this was a great idea, for the song to develop into something more animated while keeping its celestial form. The middle of this song is excellent. That said, I found it a bit odd, initially, that the final third returns to the ambient, floating arena developed during the first third. It would have been interesting to see this final third develop into a beat or more motion in conjunction with the build up of the second third, or something more evolved. Nonetheless, the sounds are beautiful, and their is something tranquil and satisfying with how the gentle end fades into the next ambient song and the second tracks introduction. All things considered, act three of this song compliments the opening act on track 2. I'm really happy to see Suntrip Records acknowledge and sign Mindsphere, especially after the insanely vivid, gorgeous, and underrated Goa-Trance stormer, quite literally, of end-of-last-years Inner Cyclone. B+

2. Solar Fields - Confusion Illusion Remix is beautiful. Actually, very beautiful. I love when Solar Fields makes this beat laced New Agey Downtempo tracks. This is actually one of the best songs I have ever heard by them in quite sometime. Okay so it follows the same path, but what an excellent path it follows. The female voices compliment; they add warmth and depth to a floating journey above the clouds, in the heavens, or whatever you fantasize being beautiful and set free. A-

3. Electrypnose - ChillinBerlin is the first song on this album that I equate descriptions such as intricate, dynamic, and cutting edge, at times. First off, many people loved this artist's Subliminal Melancholie's album from 2006. It was as if Suntrip Records asked for a combination of all of this artist's best work, from the spectacular Pierce Orielle, to Neverending Story and Tripad, but with more of a driving beat and emphasis on rhythm. The intro alone seems to out-due itself as far as mixing in the downtempo genre. During the first several minutes, I wondered if this excellent, developed, and catchy number would stay the same or change in someway. Around 5:40 such a change takes place. An interlude or sorts happens as the music fades into the distance. Suddenly at around 6:12 it reawakens with what appears to be a fresh melody or two and other sound enhancements. The song retains its form to a degree and becomes an evolution of its former self, until around 7:45, where it recollects itself for the next shift in style and evolution. This is one of the strongest tracks Electrypnose has ever done. It utilizes some of greatest ideas ever put out by this artist, both old and new, and combines them in a way that is just awesome. When this artist makes downtempo music like this I feel like I'm exposing my consciousness to some of the best Psy/Downtempo music out there. This artist has a style that is probably more unique and imaginative than even he knows, since us artists can be our greatest and also most critical "critics" after all. Now all we need is a smashingly kickass follow up to Subliminal Melancholie's. That would be amazing anyway. A-

4. E-Mantra - Secret Prophecy follows up the previous intricacy with a more soothing, gentle chill number. The opening sounds of nature compliment the soft musical tones. A beat kicks in around 1:54 followed by hi-hats, chimes, and a developing, accentuated melody. A really nice piano sounds arrives around 4:45. This is where the song shines the brightest, when all of its musical wheels are in motion, at their fullest. The beat leaves for the piano to play along with the mysterious orchestra. Before the interlude that ends around 3:30 it seems that the song has raised instruments to fulfill its first half. But the song continues with hardly any noticeable change past the halfway point until the end. It's all very nice sounding, but it lacks having feeling addictive to the senses. Furthermore, this number cannot come close to the previous delight. And I find it less compelling the further it drifts into space past the five-minute mark. However the ambient element is a pretty good idea as opposed to the previous sound repeating until the end. This is a pretty good track overall. It just doesn't grab and hold my attention as much as the previous tracks on CD2 so far. B

5. Aes Dana - Lysistrata is the next number on CD2 I define as infectious and gripping. Brooding, moody ambient fronts the almost two-minute introduction. Suddenly a beat arrives, both stronger and faster than previous tracks so far on CD2. Around 2:06 begins an extremely catchy melody that introduces the star of the show. The star is a cleverly altered and rearranged vocal bit from what appears to be a female's voice. Aes Dana really takes advantage of this element. They melody is skipped, echoed, and tweaked to various degrees in order to form artistically creative, albeit incoherent melodic sentences. The center interlude is floating, interesting, and placed at what feels like the most tactful location. Wonderful is how the music returns with more force around 4:28 as the music starts up again. Around 4:44 is the arrival of an excellent, fresh, and infectious melody lead that compliments the skipping, chopped up vocals. At this point, there is more drive and sound involvement in the song; the overall rhythm and sound arrangement appears more complex, varied to some degree. Just to top it all off, the catchy, female voice that had disappeared around the interlude returns. I'm happy to hear that Aes Dana faded this female star to let song breath before bringing it/her back to combine and close off the evolution, the final third of the track. It's nice to see this group take a different approach with a similar "skipping" concept. I love how they've cut up and rearranged the vocals. Moreover, I love how they keep their other foot knowing not to develop and left up fresh melodies, other sound/melody/beat support, around the main star, and the overall direction of the song. This is one of the most unique, catchy songs on CD2, although it does seem fairly simple in concept and execution. This number reminds me to some degree of a concept in the Kob - Weight Of Oblivion (Featuring Klara Steiner) track on the V/A - Twist Dreams compilation because of how it utilizes and cleverly exploits one ridiculously catchy, albeit simplistic sound-crafted melody. A-

6. Asura - Altered State begins very calm and gentle. This song has more atmosphere than virtually any other track on CD2, and where most prominent, it's excellent. Also satisfying is the growing development of this world, similar in concept but completely different in design and approach to Electrypnose - ChillinBerlin. A strong foundation is built before the arrival of a strong beat, complimented by stretches of atmosphere and motion. There is a wonderful moment of peace, without vibration or beat, during the second third of the song. The music returns as an evolution of its former self. I love the lead melody that begins from around 3:08 to 3:40, and reprises itself from 5:06 to around 5:38. It captures the driving number with emotion and contemplation. The melody makes me feel sad, uplifted, determined, and inspirational, all at once, and the beat accentuates such emotions. Lackluster in this number is the feeling of ascension, but that isn't what Asura was going for. I like songs that build up like this one, becoming more rich and substantial, developed as they progress. Altered States reaches a peek in the final third and sticks to a powerful, groovy, and driving force for several minutes. This is a very strong song, one who's ideas have been done before by the same artist, but in different shapes and forms; they seem to work every time. And the areas of atmosphere and how the film resurrects its destiny in the center interlude via the main melody is infectious. I'd compare this to Solar Fields - Confusion Illusion Remix because both that and this seem spiritually driven, as if in someway influenced or inspired by the heavens, the stars, and/or beyond the realm beyond conscious matter. B+

7. SiebZehn - Bongalore and Beyond is by the only artist I was unaware of before. So I was skeptical. his track becomes very world-ethnic influenced around the gentle, meditative middle section, the interlude. But before this moment of peace, I was lost as to if the music was going to become more catchy and gripping. Fortunately, past the center interlude there is some really nice work that includes several layers of melodies, and other ethnic sounds. Could more work have been done to give this song more substance and cathy elements? I think so. The song isn't psychedelic and it's definitely not as groovy and/or as heavenly as previous numbers. Simply put, I find this track the least interesting on CD2. On the plus side, the instrumental guitar and/or violin strings in the second half is very pleasing. More musical elements like that may have turned this gentle flower into something more vivacious and intrepid. And part of me can't help but think that this song would have been fine on a different compilation. Regardless, it's not bad, or is it below average. I am sure that some people will like it, and I don't dislike it either. It's just nothing special as far as being all that "infectious" goes. B

8. Astral Waves - Contemplation is all about chanting hymn's in the beginning. Do you like the sound of deep, male vocals hymn's? You better. Because this is a lot more than that. Extremely ambitious, unpredictable, and musically full of life. I didn't know how to place this track in my mind when I first heard it. There is just so much going on, so my ideas. The track is basically split up into three developed chunks, with a transition so subtle that the only way you'll notice "change" is by the fact that the male praying and/or chanting hymn's dissipate and a flute of sorts arrives around the four-minute mark. The first is the hymns. Second is a very catchy Psy rhythm in combination to on-and-off chanting hymns. In this second third breeds new life. What seems like several melodies, gradually build into a field of life, like flowers and animals popping their heads up as if in domino effect in a subconscious field of dreams. It's as if all the dead grass or life from the previous season is being replaced with sprouting life. Naturally this is my way of describing the concept of a continuously involving, evolving stimulus of melodies, beats, ambient, atmosphere, and other sound effects. Sometimes I love this song. Or I admire it more than I can describe. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the dynamics in its tunes, as many melodic sounds appear to be raising up and down simultaneously. That is where I gained the analogy of new life, replacing old life in a field. The track is artistic and unique. This is the more musical, less beat complimented track I had wished the previous number to be. It will be interesting to see if others share my feelings here, or find the previous number to be more appealing. I however find this strikingly creative and individualized musically. B+

9. Ra - Road To Shiraz begins with what appears to be children's voices. It's very world-influenced and I actually find this part one of the most catchy aspects on the song. Followed by a flute, several ambient notes and more, this number takes no detour from its opening ambient direction if it weren't for the catchy progression, beginning around 2:13. There is some interesting atmospheric and guitar work in the middle third, echoed clicks, and other sounds that will continue on and off throughout. Such sounds make this piece feel as if it would do very well in a historical drama, film. My favorite part of the song ends around 3:12. The guitar notes combined with the ambient notes do not jump out at the listener, but they're are very effective. This number shines again when it gains a bit more energy around the 4:30 mark. RA's track here has a very modern, albeit worldly and original sound and style to it. The artist has created another smooth closing track that ends the album really well. His previous track on V/A - Twist Dreams compilation was great, and it felt like an old-school, Downtempo/Goa sound revitalized in the 21st century. Here, the artist has made something that sounds completely new, not only traditional while under the title of New-School. Also noticeable is the fact that this piece isn't Goa, if maybe Psy influenced to a degree. I find RA's track at the end of V/A's Twist Dreams more to my preference in style; both are very well done. This one happens to be more instrumental, soft, and gentle. Hearing this closing song also makes me want to jump right back to the beginning of V/A - Opus Iridium, and start up the ignition all over again via CD1. B+

In conclusion, V/A's Opus Iridium is the strongest compilation Suntrip Records has released since 2005's V/A - Apsara, and the best compilation package they have ever released in their career. It is also the best release that this label has released since Filteria's Heliopolis and will likely be the most enjoyed and praised album since 2005's Khetzel - Corolle. And that is, if one were to exclude the classic Dimension 5 - Transdimensional Re-Mastered/Re-Release, because D5's debut initially stared under the spotlight on another label. Nonetheless, V/A - Opus Iridium is an excellent double album for those who appreciate top quality new-school Goa-Trance and Down-Tempo. I could just imagine Suntrip Records communicating with the artists, and doing their best to explain what they desired V/A - Opus Iridium to be. The final verdict may place this album ahead of every previous release, side for maybe Khetzel - Corolle for some listeners. Regardless, for any label to market two CD's loaded with strong tracks as a double album is virtually unheard of now days, save for Jikkenteki's awesome and underrated The Long Walk Home double album in 2006. I feel that Suntrip Records has accomplished their ambition: To compile and release two wonderful albums with all exclusive quality Goa tracks, back-to-back. There are no average tracks on the album or below. The least positive thing I can say about few tracks on this double album is that they're good. I highly recommend people who enjoy quality Psy, Goa, and Downtempo music checking Opus Iridium. Chances are you'll want to own it soon if you're a collector of top albums in Goa/Psy-Trance and/or Downtempo.

Favorite Tracks:

CD1: 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 - B+

CD2: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 - B+

B+

Samples:

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7130

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut2cd010.html

Guest antic

And btw, favorite is spelled "favorite." I see many people write "favourite" for some strange reason in various, previous review threads. I won't mention any names. I'm just saying, its nice to read a review without a bunch of spelling errors. Not that mine are perfect. :)

Well, that's where you're wrong. "Favorite" is an American, dumbed-down version of the original English word "favourite". The same is with "colour" (not "color"), "criticise" (not "criticize"), "centre" (not "center") and many, many others... People on this forum are mostly from European countries, therefore they're taught proper English and that is why "for some strange reason" they spell those words like they do... :)

BTW, Shakta is not "these guys". How come you "own their best two albums", without realising (another one!) it's just Seb Taylor on his own??

Well, that's where you're wrong. "Favorite" is an American, dumbed-down version of the original English word "favourite". The same is with "colour" (not "color"), "criticise" (not "criticize"), "centre" (not "center") and many, many others... People on this forum are mostly from European countries, therefore they're taught proper English and that is why "for some strange reason" they spell those words like they do... :)

BTW, Shakta is not "these guys". How come you "own their best two albums", without realising (another one!) it's just Seb Taylor on his own??

Yea, I'd have to agree that the Americans are the odd ones out on this one. Look in any of our official Canadian dictionaries and you'll find spellings like colour, labour, theatre, centre, cheque, harbour, etc.

It's actually interesting to note that Canada is somewhere between America and UK English. We follow many UK spelling rules but not with words like tyre and replacing the z with an s in words like realize.

To be fair to Americans, I wouldn't class their English as being dumbed down. It's just another officially recognized spelling form that is just as valid and in some cases is more true to the actual pronunciation (don't you just love it when people say pro-noun-ciation) of the word.

let all spout our foul egocentric and meaningless opinions on this one!

i for one(being taught the difference in between since early age), do not like this -re thing "for some strange reason", after all it is pronounced more like centER, so somehow my mind tells me this seems more right (than wrong)

also color seems more aesthetically developed than colour, it's not like you pronounce this letter so why write it?

experiencing things as dumbed-down or simplified is just a basic perception of less letters in the word and it takes some insight and thought to realise the convenience of writing/typing shorter words

favor and color are just more perfected versions of old terms, that's how i experience one side of this retard story

and prawn, wellll... let's just not go there before things turn ugly... just like the good ol' colonial times eyy!

Guest antic

let all spout our foul egocentric and meaningless opinions on this one!

i for one(being taught the difference in between since early age), do not like this -re thing "for some strange reason", after all it is pronounced more like centER, so somehow my mind tells me this seems more right (than wrong)

also color seems more aesthetically developed than colour, it's not like you pronounce this letter so why write it?

experiencing things as dumbed-down or simplified is just a basic perception of less letters in the word and it takes some insight and thought to realise the convenience of writing/typing shorter words

favor and color are just more perfected versions of old terms, that's how i experience one side of this retard story

and prawn, wellll... let's just not go there before things turn ugly... just like the good ol' colonial times eyy!

Well, I suppose you cross the road or drive through the intersection on red lights, when there's no other cars in sight, right? ;):D

People tend to bend the existing rules to make life easier. I'm sure that in a couple of hundred years "colour" will be spelled "kala", but currently there are fixed rules how it should be spelled in UK English and American 'improvement' of this and other words is simply a first step in this direction. And no matter which fancy words will one use, it doesn't change that it is dumbing-down of the language, because in that process you make it accessible to more people, so they could use it without any effort on their part to learn it properly.

In the end, I have nothing against this process taking place, we just should be aware and able to recognise what it is instead of looking for excuses like 'optimisation', 'improvement' or 'simplification' of the language.

What a beutiful compilation, Two unique and unforgettable journies packaged together. Just bought this 4 days ago and have already listened to both discs all the way through 5 times each

Artifact303-Feelings!!!!!!!!!!!! :posford: :posford: :posford: the reason Im still listening to this music.

a short review...

Only the melodic side... I like the ambient one too but reviewing it is something I don't do...

don't know why, there hasn't to be one :) , and I've only listened to it once...

V/A - Opus Iridium ~SUNTRIP RECORDS~

Posted Image

1. E-Mantra - Voyager II - 10:26

2. Shakta - Ten Times Around The Sun - 6:32

3. Filteria - Birds Lingva Franca - 9:32

4. Artifact303 - Feelings - 9:24

5. Ajna - The Art of Happiness - 9:12

6. Radical Distortion - The Dreamer - 7:37

7. Afgin - From The Heart (Tribute to Wonderboy) - 10:17

8. Ethereal - Moondawn - 11:02

I wasn't planning to review this one, but I was happily surprised about the fact how amazing

this release actually is … This is absolute bliss :) … A compilation combined with goatrance artist

who together with suntrip records managed to create a nice concept .

From all suntrip compilations this one has the most floating story from the first track to the last…

Nice is we don't experience ambient tracks what is often for me not that necessarily

when it comes to fresh goatrance releases cause it's not like we don't get overloaded by them J…

From the beginning of all I notice that many artist tried/achieved to adapt elements of each other

what creates a dreamy but continue satisfaction feeling…

All the tracks have highly motivated baselines… and use more dreamy parts, but also a good very nice offer of waves…

There are no high contrast lower lever quality parts in this release but then again it's just not overloading me. I

n the beginning I thought the release actually got more melodic towards the end l

ike we expect with goa releases who are more based on melodies…

But after a few good listens I noticed that isn't the fact…

You just can count on this release, each track will draw attention on a same or different level, well that's your taste…

Well writing long reviews about each track detailed is not what I like to do anymore

+ I'm lucky in this one, just mentioning some is perfect to get an idea what opus Iridium has to offer you…

Although reading them is still nice from other writers…

It's is pure traveling. A mystique atmosphere and very balanced.

Detail from beginning to last is perfect.

Shakta is nice to have back, I thought first, but hearing that it's not shatka,

well still considering that. The kick is so but so shakta, very typical them and more then welcome.

The filteria track is imo the best he has ever made, The baseline is not what I'm used to have to,

This track is very emotional to be filteria and not to overloaded to be filteria he he :) .

Great… The ending of the track is very subtle and defines that continues goatrance feeling…

The articact 303 is one of my favorite. A never ending story.

Anja is the more up-tempo track, a track for ending a nice old skool party…

Radical distortion seems to adapt himself with a more slower concept

considering it's baseline but has still has his sharp melodic goasounds.

Afgin who is my favo new skool artist, you recognize it from the starts it's him.

Very emotional and dreamy.

This pure afgin but afgin is compared to other the rest of the artist

the closest to the concept which this opus iridium radiates.

Ethereal also has the element of nice heading towards a climax from it's own

so fit's perfectly in the indefinite of this concept.

Nice done suntrip,

Long time ago I had this joy of a compilation

who kept my attention from the first to the last second…

Keep up the good work

koen

Received it yesterday, and TBH I was a bit disappointed.

Don't know why but I think isn't as strong as the previous Suntrip releases.

To me sounds very formulaic new-school Goa Trance. This doesn't mean it's bad but sounds very much like the ton of recent free digital releases these 2 years or so; but pressed on CD. Again: didn't say that new-school Goa Trance is bad (rather the opposite) but when released on CD the track sele tion has usually something much deeper than what you normally download. Even the sound quality isn't top I think.

If I compare to Apsara & Twist Dreams these are much better if you ask me.

The Downtempo disc is weak IMO.

Only track which immediately struck me is Filteria's which (again) is in line with old Pleiadians but much better produced.

Having said that, the booklet with it's history of Trance reminds me of the old Return To The Source releases, which is nice. The artwork is a piece of art, as usual.

Am I the only 1 ?

:unsure:

At first I wasn't very impressed either with the trance cd, untill I heard before going to a party... Some adrenline in my blood, and then I understood... lol, since that moment the cd is playing non stop almost... It is a total party cd, fantastic! Favourite tracks: Feelings (!!!!), Emantra and of course Afgin, it almost made me cry, so beautiful... The last 2 minutes! :wank: :wank:

The ambient cd is fantastic, straight 5/5, all the best Ultimae artists (with fantastic tracks!) mixed with less known artists, this 2nd cd is an instant classic... :)

@ Goa-Head... Listen to it when you are in a good/euphoric mood, then you'll understand! :) the downtempo cd weak... Damn, tastes can differ, it is indeed style Ultimae, but they are the highest standard today imo :)

Taste is taste I suppose but a little bit of support would be nice. Why do you think it is weak?

I could call you a wanker but I can't back it up with any support so of course it comes across as a crap opinion (which of course it is, I don't think you are a wanker at all)

I personally love the downbeat CD, the tracks are full of great psychedelic sounds, melody & crisp beats through most of it. It really has some nice floaty, dreamy & relaxed yet energetic moments :wub:

Received it yesterday, and TBH I was a bit disappointed.

Don't know why but I think isn't as strong as the previous Suntrip releases.

To me sounds very formulaic new-school Goa Trance. This doesn't mean it's bad but sounds very much like the ton of recent free digital releases these 2 years or so; but pressed on CD. Again: didn't say that new-school Goa Trance is bad (rather the opposite) but when released on CD the track sele tion has usually something much deeper than what you normally download. Even the sound quality isn't top I think.

If I compare to Apsara & Twist Dreams these are much better if you ask me.

Only track which immediately struck me is Filteria's which (again) is in line with old Pleiadians but much better produced.

Having said that, the booklet with it's history of Trance reminds me of the old Return To The Source releases, which is nice. The artwork is a piece of art, as usual.

Am I the only 1 ?

:unsure:

the filteria track is imo the best one indeed,

but like all good goatrance releases it has to grow on you and appreciation will rise more the listen to it...

so maybe give it another try,

then again like said above taste is taste off course ;)

the filteria track is imo the best one indeed,

but like all good goatrance releases it has to grow on you and appreciation will rise more the listen to it...

agreed ;) there's a lot of depth in the uptempo cd.

kinda agree with goa-head on the downtempo tho . could have been better.

No, most all good goatrance releases have like them since day 1 I listened them. Can't get this statement really.

kinda agree with goa-head on the downtempo tho . could have been better.

only listened to the down tempo once so couldn't say, but my first impression wasn't that spectacular too,

then again after five more times listening it might change,

I always chose the new entheogenic if I put on psy ambient, we're getting spoiled :D