getting hold of old albums

CE_Gregqc

Okay, how can I put this...

I got into psytrance about a year ago starting with Infected Mushroom, but now I'm listening to everything, Full-On party tunes, Old-school goa, ambient, and ive also got into mixing aswell, mainly mixing psy and old-school goa.

One problem I'm having though is the old classics. I'm talking about stuff like We Created Our Own Happiness, IFO, Juggeling Alchemist. I haven't been able to listen to these albums let alone own them due to their rarity.

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint as I do understand the concept of collectors items, but when I'm wanting to listen to some of these old classics I'm not wanting to shell out £230 for one cd (in the case of Solar Quest's Orgship as I saw online today). I'm commited, of course, but not that commited.

I own several albums. Most albums availible today are in my collection such as Astral Files, Lone Deranger, Transdimensional, and I managed to get copies of Alien Protien and Trust in Trance 3 on eBay for a reasonable price, but thats about as far as I could go...

So I turn to illegal downloading, but I still can't get hold of some of these albums, even indivisual tracks. I managed to download 15% of Chi-A.D's Virtual Spirit album, and from the 15% I can hear it is possibly the most psychedelic example of Goa that I have heard.

So what I ask is, how do you guys get your fix of these rare albums? Do you shell out the cash for collectors items? Have you owned the CDs since their heyday? Someone advise me because most of this music I'm not even able to listen to, let alone use in mixes, ect.

Cash and trade and luck, that's the only three methods there are.

Don't you think I'm not on the search for old classics? Don't you think almost everybody on here still misses something in his/her collection? Indeed, I am and they are.

In fact I'm still missing a lot. That's mainly because of the prices - I don't wanna pay big amounts of money for just CDs, you know. The most I ever paid was 20 Euros and that was for Goa-Head 21. I don't go above that. Which brings me to the latter of the three things I mentioned beforehand: luck. You gotta have it. I had it in some few cases and I'm damn happy about it. Nothing beats the grin on your face once you found something great and old and sought after for a real bargain price. And if you don't have luck, have money. That's it. And in some rare cases you won't even win it with money - you gotta trade.

Just wait.

After some time you'll realize that waiting can be a cool thing and that the joy is even greater when you get something at last.

Most of those rare items you talked about, I've been owning since the so-called heyday.

Some I bought for next to nothing in second hand shops and/or shops which were about to close down or just simply thought they were selling some run of the mill electronic music album, placing it in those "5 euro bins".

Use discogs: look up other people's collections/wantlists, contact them, see if you can help them out and if there is any way they can help you with what you're looking for. Use psynews as well; ever since I became a member of this forum, I've hooked up with some very nice people who enabled me to hear some albums I practically gave up on quite some time ago.

Spending obscene sums of cash for a piece of round, shiny plastic was never my sport either. I don't consider it a wise idea, but

I don't feel like elaborating right now.

What I never got my hands on when I had the time and the opportunity to (I lacked money though), I am trying to fix now through trading.

Although I must admit I kind of lost interest in collectin everything labelled as vintage old school. To be honest, I've heard everything I really wanted to hear.

Remember: There is no objective value of any CD on this planet. A certain album is worth only, and not a penny more, the amount YOU are willing to pay for it. A 100 pound release doesn't immediately mean it's a classic.

I have many of the gold-standard classics of the Goa era, and have no issue sharing my music if the albums are out of print and the only way to get a copy is to spend insane amounts of money in bidding wars. I used to be fanatical and won't even admit today to how much I paid for several items in my collection, the most insane being Transwave - Helium. To be honest, I don't even care that much about having to trade or whatever else cuz I sort of keep up and purchase everything that interests me or that I want.

Are there any items in particular that you are looking for? I have both IFO and We Created Our Own Happiness. I don't mind sharing; the only thing I don't care to do is share music that is in print and/or available at regular prices.

I've been collecting for a long time but still lack many classics... this is in part due to a cash shortage--I've been pushing everything I've got into my web site and netlabel, and paying exorbitant fees for golden oldies simply isn't possible any more.

With that say, I have two suggestions for you:

1) Look into re-releases from Avatar, Inpsyde Media, and others (D5's album on Suntrip for example).

2) Consider buying vinyl. Demand is not as high so you might find some classics for a much more reasonable price than you would if it were a CD being sold. I've got a bunch on my for sale list if you'd like to take a look. But of course vinyl doesn't suit everyone...

I'm also lucky that I got most of the rarities when they were released so obviously at a reasonable price. Of course there are some huge gaping holes in my collection that I have a desire to fill but although in the past I've paid up to 10 grand for an album (That's yen BTW :lol:) I discovered that I would rather buy 10 new albums for that price.

They key is patience, people say life is short but it's the longest thing you'll ever do & these old rare albums one day just show up in a record shop for an unbelievably cheap price because the owner doesn't know what it is.

Just wait, I'm still waiting for a few things

these old rare albums one day just show up in a record shop for an unbelievably cheap price because the owner doesn't know what it is.

yes, that's what I meant with "luck".

You gotta have it.

I found some stuff in metal used CD stores. Seriously. They didn't know what to do with that "useless crap of sound" (their opinion) and threw it out for a bargain price. In such situations it's handy when you actually listen to metal and have a reason digging through these stores...