no cure for piracy

exotic

you stop people who are buying cd's and are willing to share their music through upe , psyz etc rips.

discuss

:o

in my opinion its not the groups that destroy. you have to go to the p2p side of it, and stop people from sharing with whomever is out there. the people (so I heard) from the above mentioned groups HATE p2p networks and public ftp's.

basically there is no such thing as piracy. a person who buys a cd can do whatever the hell he wants with it. which is where the problem lies.

in my opinion its not the groups that destroy. you have to go to the p2p side of it, and stop people from sharing with whomever is out there. the people (so I heard) from the above mentioned groups HATE p2p networks and public ftp's.

yes that is another problem. as long as people want to share , nothing can be done about the entire thing. which is why i think psytrance is trying to reach out to a wider audience by being less psychedelic :)

yes that is another problem. as long as people want to share , nothing can be done about the entire thing. which is why i think psytrance is trying to reach out to a wider audience by being less psychedelic :)

wrong approach though. the more commercial it becomes, the more commercial p2p groups are going to start and spread it ;)

+1

To highlight what Nemo said, if you're part of such a group and are suspected to be sharing the groups releases on p2ps, then you're bound to be banned and your reputation ruined.

These groups' point is a "try before buy" approach basically (which carries its part of hypocrisy i know), but releaes are meant to be shared in a serious and restrained community of people sharing these same views. Problem is some boards visitors propagate the releases on less serious ftp boards run by kiddies or non-serious people or are visited by non serious people and that's how these releases reach p2p's. This is fucked up.

From my personal opinion, piracy is bad, but as long as you're a small label like mine, it helps getting known better. for bigger labels with a broader audience than Psytrance, releases are spread faster and wider and it harms the labels' businesses. There is a paradox but as far as I'm concerned I'm fine with that.

wrong approach though. the more commercial it becomes, the more commercial p2p groups are going to start and spread it ;)

on the other hand going commercial could translate into more cd sales .. im sure ticon sold more cd's this time round compared to his earlier albums ;)

I still think sales would be at an alltime low now, with or without pirates...

Doesn't mean that it wouldn't help ofcourse. I buy what I like and sometimes even a little more then I really like because of some stupid urge I couldn't control :). Mp3 helped me to discover the music I like most... Spend my money on things I think are worth it, although like I said sometimes the urge is to strong and you just jump in the hype and 1 out of 2 you get disappointed. The question remains howmany of the poeple who download illegally would really buy music otherwise... Piracy has been here since the beginning of recorded music, in different forms ofcourse... (now it's more easy, although copying someones led zeppelin cassettes I wouldn't call difficult either...) Lots of kids spend their money different and have more choices they can handle: computergames gallore, movies, "cool" clothes, music etc... The ever growing consumptionmachine that makes it almost impossible to really love something for more then a month... (if you don't let it all be, which is especially difficult for people younger then 25) The popmachine, musicchannels 24/24 7/7 and 100's of radiostation's everybody wanting their piece of the already overconsumed popular music pie... A 100 years of fast growing musicbusiness, where oldies are still goldies and new music gets trown in with 100's or 1000's of cd's a week global... People still wanting oldies (i don't only mean oldskool goatrance....) and new stuff and and and.... Someone needs to suffer and I think It'll mainly be the things that are not pop and/or that don't have a big enough name yet and are not on the I want it now list...

The only thing I can say is corner your piece of the market and state it everywhere and show what you bring and bring it with true convincing spirit...

You're not fighting people that rip you off... You're fighting the consumptionmachine that is destroying everything that isn't pop for a week.... It's in the mind of people ...

imo

It is now 2008... a very large portion of casual listeners do not purchase CDs. Many people have gone completely digital--they listen with their portable media devices, and have no use for plastic. Psytrance still doesn't have a central, authoritative source for downloading commercial music legally. If you use a search engine to look for a release you often find pirate blogs before running across label home pages or shop links. In reality, the psytrance industry--for all of its interest in the future--has not adapted well to the digital revolution. Therein lies the problem...

On a lighter note, does anyone other than myself find it rather funny that the MP3 groups have been pirating free releases from my site? :wank:

It is now 2008... a very large portion of casual listeners do not purchase CDs. Many people have gone completely digital--they listen with their portable media devices, and have no use for plastic.

well, not sure of that, I know ALOT of people with an IPOD, and original cds... They rip them for the IPOD, so they have music on the streets, but at home they listen to music... And maybe it's just here in Belgium, but more young people then EVER before buy goa trance cds, and I'm serious about that!

On the other hand a good digital download platform is needed indeed, but that doesn't mean cds will become useless... It can perfectly co-exist... I think only mp3s/Wav/FLAC, whatever has some serious problems if it would exist alone... And that's quality control... too many amateurs spreading their music, which means a total overflood of bad mp3s/WAV, and after a while people will not see anymore what is good and what is not... Cds are needed in the future imo

When you have a job, and lots of work, you don't download tons to listen, and then delete and check again etc... you buy the things you know you will like :) Or maybe I became grumpy :P

well, not sure of that, I know ALOT of people with an IPOD, and original cds... They rip them for the IPOD, so they have music on the streets, but at home they listen to music... And maybe it's just here in Belgium, but more young people then EVER before buy goa trance cds, and I'm serious about that!

Maybe because you corner your market well and bring it out to the people like you should...

Believe in it and convince people with the spirit at parties and by talking about it in a good way...

Letting the people know and not fighting pirates...

Maybe because you corner your market well and bring it out to the people like you should...

Believe in it and convince people with the spirit at parties and by talking about it in a good way...

well, of course, but that's a part of the deal I guess, bring cds to the people instead of bringing people to the cds... :P

I'm with the people who say the groups are not the guilty ones.

I find the idea great that you team up together with a few people, everybody legally buys three releases or so and rips them and so you can get all the good music that was released throughout the year for the price of just three albums. Do this in a small enough circle with only a few people and everybody will be happy - you, because you pay only for three albums, your mates aswell and the recording industry aswell because they don't stand there with nothing because if several of these circles existed around the world every one of them will buy one release! I think that's what this thing with the ripper groups was about at first. But then groups became too big, releases soaked out and it resulted in everybody downloading, nobody paying and it developed to the catastrope we have now.

Bring it back the old way, the way sharing was originally before Napster and all that and you'll see it will be all cool for everybody.

Of course the groups are to blame! Who else?

There was one group called PTP, they ripped hq 320kbps releases. After 2003 they were gone and only few their releases leaked later. All in FLAC. If a group wants to stay underground, they've got everything to achieve this.

Almost every rip begins it's way from dc++ hubs and spreads through rapidshare-like hostings with links at blogs. There will be no people ripping if upe, mycel and psycz were gone.

The funniest thing was the text in nfo files that stated something like "We, the ripping group, hate all you leechers that dload from ftps and p2ps, burn in hell and heil all the people that don't spread our releases." <_<

Thankfully, I don't download mp3s anymore B) ...well, not exactly ) I get some minimal because I'm exploring that scene ;)

On a lighter note, does anyone other than myself find it rather funny that the MP3 groups have been pirating free releases from my site? :wank:

That's because those groups see themselves as people who spread music, not pirates. So it's legitimate, taking a release and "psyczing" it. :P

It is now 2008... a very large portion of casual listeners do not purchase CDs. Many people have gone completely digital--they listen with their portable media devices, and have no use for plastic. Psytrance still doesn't have a central, authoritative source for downloading commercial music legally.

There is some truth to this. I am new to psytrance (as a genre I think it or whatever it evolves into has a very interesting future because it can make use of all the new software synthesis ideas) and I'm buying lots of stuff from amazon or napster, but I'm not patient enough to order something from Europe and wait who knows how long to get it on CD (I live in the USA). I'd buy new releases in pretty big quantities. Is it so hard to get them onto iTunes or somewhere similar? Odd that such a futuristic genre can't figure out modern music distribution!

No, it's true. What this scene needs is for one of the major distributors to take a hard-line and digitize everything in their catalogue... or for Saikosounds to finish building their download service. What percentage of new releases actually make it to legal download services? Maybe 10%? You end up with all the TIP World and BNE you can stomach, but none of the brand new, exciting labels.

Beatport recently announced that they were going to require a minimum sales volume from their label partners. This is completely asinine. Why limit possibilities when inventory costs are nil? The way to succeed in the digital media economy is to 1) offer as much selection as possible, and 2) provide powerful means of finding content (smart search, community recommendations and other "wisdom of the crowd" features, tell-a-friend, and so on). Beatport fails both of these criteria--their psytrance catalogue is extremely limited and their user interface is clunky Flashturbation with an incredibly weak search. While their business will no doubt continue to succeed, it does little for the state of digital download sales of psytrance music.

:lol:

That's funny!

How do you pirate something that is released for free?

I don't mind that people download music. A lot of artists say they prefer it as most money comes from shows & the more people who steal their music the more people they are likely to pay to come to their shows. Or something along those lines.

I myself cannot download either music or movies for one simple reason, I never listen or watch what I've downloaded. When I buy something I feel an obligation to myself to make the most of my experience. If I don't instantly love something I'll take the time to get to know it. If I downloaded something I didn't instantly love, I'd probably just delete it.

I downloaded the movie "The Big Labowski" a couple of years ago. I've been told many times how great it is but I have not yet watched it. If I rented the DVD I would have.

A crap personality flaw the sucks up a lot of my money.

Im sorry to say that you should probably be happy they did. This way your artists will get more and more attention. A friend of mine -intentionally- got pirated with a live set that he compiled and "leaked" himself. It took around 10 hours for it to be spread on various ftps, and took him around 3 days to gain 6 new bookings on the email address that was provided in the .nfo. How about that? :)

Not really. I don't check legal free downloading sites or similar sites. Instead I see the releases on the FTP and just download them. Wether they are legal or not. And usually the information about your site is included in the .nfo file. I wouldn't find that release if it wasn't pirated and thus your artist reachers a wider audiance. So it's good right? :)