indian samples

sammyhkhan

indian samples in ambient and psychill...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. more or less???

• More, yes please!
    • A bit less would be great, thanks!
    • I like it just the way it is right now!

I have been listening to quite a bit of ambient and psychill over the last two months and I cannot help to note and kind of complain about the overuse of Indian samples.

What are your thoughts?

Personally it bores me to death!

In the right situation an sample straight out of India can be really moving, but it's getting old.... I wish someone would come up with something entirely new, even if it wouldn't hit home with the fans at first. China and Japan have some really amazing traditional songs and pieces, but i'm sure that's already been said and done; hell, have some Elvaan folk song from LOTR thrown in.

All samples get old, they aren't lyrics and should not be used as so, especially when people use the same samples. But what're we gonna do about it, without the samples the tracks won't have that edge or distinct refrain to capture it in peoples memories. This is why we hear so many samples, its like the cherry ontop for the track. But it definately should not be the majority of the pie.

China and Japan have some really amazing traditional songs and pieces

+1 I have heard some pretty amazing traditional vocals and melodies from these regions.

Just to clarify my point, I am not saying that Indian samples per se are boring, but that their overruse is...

Agree with sammy. i too am getting bored of the overuse. overuse of anything is bad. although i can see non-indians enjoying the samples and connecting the lyrics to the goa vibe.

It can be done well, but more often it's the same old samples, or just a sitar playing something that isn't very musical. Seems a lot of people just put it in there to sound "cool" but ignore actually making it fit into the song, creating decent melodies, etc. That said, I really like a lot of actual indian music (Shakti, Ravi Shankar, L Subramaniam, Debashish Bhattacharya, etc..). Basically I like when people come up with their own melodies/music instead of just throwing samples in. A good example of this is Pedra Branca, they play a lot of the instruments rather than using samples, although they use a lot of Chinese/Japanese/homemade instruments as well.

I'm tired of over use of the SAME god damn Indian samples! And yes could do with a little less, but it can be used very well and creative, if the artist bother with it. And yes as said before there are many other non-english/exotic languages/samples out there, so why not also them???

"A bit less would be great, thanks!" is underestimating the level of irritation indian samples provoke when fusing into one with my ears and brain.

"A bit less would be great, thanks!" is underestimating the level of irritation indian samples provoke when fusing into one with my ears and brain.

+1

get original dudes

if you want non-english samples, use anything but indian!

Any sample can sound good if used well. Original samples would be nice. I have no problem with the samples being indian or anything but the same tired samples just plastered into tracks is a bit annoying. Music to avoid IMO

less please...

At first it was cool, but now my reactions range from "not impressed" to "it's plain annoying".

If the sample would at least be original, something cool! Do you know Shiva Chandra - Machine Planet? It's not chill music, but still an example of awesomely used samples. That sample of a woman singing in some strange way ... it's totally awesomely genious, I can't get enough of it! Also the way the sample is arranged - once forward, then reverse. Wonderful! I want to hear it again and again! THAT's what samples are here for!

(unfortunately the sample's not unique, Deep Dive Corp used it aswell ... <_< ... but still, genious)

I have been listening to quite a bit of ambient and psychill over the last two months and I cannot help to note and kind of complain about the overuse of Indian samples.

What are your thoughts?

Personally it bores me to death!

Somewhat indifferent , Personally a bit less would have been okay , but there is so much diversity in indian music . rather than trap these diversities, they just stick on to the Jazzy - modern - Hindustani versions ..! or whatever they are called.

+1 I have heard some pretty amazing traditional vocals and melodies from these regions.

Just to clarify my point, I am not saying that Indian samples per se are boring, but that their overruse is...

a point well said .

• 4 weeks later...

In the right situation an sample straight out of India can be really moving, but it's getting old.... I wish someone would come up with something entirely new, even if it wouldn't hit home with the fans at first. China and Japan have some really amazing traditional songs and pieces, but i'm sure that's already been said and done; hell, have some Elvaan folk song from LOTR thrown in.

Looking for samples like that, where can i find any???