C. vs. A.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. I like better...

• V/A
    • Albums
  2. 2. I have more..

• Compilations
    • Albums

In the last week I've checked a lot of CDs (albums and VAs). And when I checked Psydb, I saw a lot of compilations. For example, in the year 2007 there were 334 albums, and 317 compilations (which is about 1.05 : 1).

So, I got interested: Which ones do you prefer, a CD from an artist, or a CD with tracks from different artists.

Peace+luw :wub:

Really depends on the album. Some VAs are well put together and flow nicely, but others just seem like a bunch of random tracks. I tend to like albums more though, if you like 1 song by an artist, chances are you'll like more. VAs can be more hit and miss.

I generally prefer albums, but V/A's are important aswell sometimes. V/A's are great to get to know new artists or to have a centralized release for a certain music style. Unfortunately not all of them are blended and harmonized well...

Compilations are great when you are trying to discover a new label to see which artists have the sound you like best but overall I think albums are much better. Usually they have a better flow, more of a journey than a collection of tracks. Of course there are exceptions to this some albums sound like comps & some comps feel like albums.

Albums!!!

I used to like compilations more few years ago, but my listening habits have changed a lot in the past few years, and there a very few Compilations (Ultrapop II for example...) that i nearly like as much as a good conceptual album. When it comes to downbeat/ambient/Chill compilations are ok most of the time, but i still prefer Albums....

I like compilations because you get a broader perspective of what is released, to find new artists and like it was said ealier, you can't find really great tracks that wont be released elswhere... But overall the V/A thing is becomming to hard to look through, WAAY to many shitty ones, so i actually prefere ARTIST ALBUMS because of that!